or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › A Very Compact Hybrid Amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Very Compact Hybrid Amp - Page 10

post #136 of 2213
pm sent.

I have a question how much space is available for an attenuator? H x W x L would be beneficial. Thanks.
post #137 of 2213
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiatrob View Post
You haven't seen my workbench - I'm having to build a second right now! Is that a request?
If you want to take it that way, sure... But I don't think you can get two prototype boards, and I'd want to pay for all the parts.
post #138 of 2213
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
If you want to take it that way, sure... But I don't think you can get two prototype boards, and I'd want to pay for all the parts.
I'm actually very interested to see how such an amp does with Orthos. As Ludoo has suggested, Hybrids seem to have a nice synergy with orthos. dBel and I can attest that it may be Alex's hybrid designs in particular: I have been very much liking the combination of my SOHAII and damped YH-3s.

I've put in the request. If I'm accepted, we could be auditioning the next time we get together...
post #139 of 2213
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiatrob View Post
I'm actually very interested to see how such an amp does with Orthos. As Ludoo has suggested, Hybrids seem to have a nice synergy with orthos. dBel and I can attest that it may be Alex's hybrid designs in particular: I have been very much liking the combination of my SOHAII and damped YH-3s.

I've put in the request. If I'm accepted, we could be auditioning the next time we get together...
At the meet on the 14th we'll have several hybrids to try - Melos SHA Gold, Head-direct EF1, TTVJ portable Millett hybrid, Millett Starving Student Hybrid, SOHA II, and maybe this one but I don't see how it could be done in time.
post #140 of 2213
^Will Yoda be there?
post #141 of 2213
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger945 View Post
^Will Yoda be there?
Your Other Diminutive Amplifier
post #142 of 2213
pm sent.

Has a name been decided on yet?
post #143 of 2213
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
At the meet on the 14th we'll have several hybrids to try -< snip > maybe this one but I don't see how it could be done in time.
Up to runeight & wiatrob I guess... An experienced builder could likely build this in one (busy, uninterrupted) day, but perhaps best spread across a couple.
Runeight will provide BoM which currently requires a Mouser & small Digikey order assuming you've a tube socket & 1A+ 24VAC adapter.


> Has a name been decided on yet?

Been using Compact Tube Hybrid (CTH), like MrSlim's CHamp... There is the Fender thing & its runeight's call.


> much space is available for an attenuator? H x W x L would be beneficial

We spec the small Alps RK097 in BoM, with Panasonic's 12mm EVJ-Y10F03A24 as a "large" alternate. Here's idea of frontpanel clearance:



> ..drill the hole ... maybe a couple in the side but im trying to avoid as much swiss cheesing as possible.

Other than the small TO92 BC3X7 devices (which we want to keep happy), the only other heaters we have are the tube (handled by its hole), LM2595 heater reg (max: 0.8W disp) and 24V LV reg (disp more than heater reg).
I like to handle heat from the big producers separately from the rest, leaving a nice comfy home for all the other little parts. E.G in my FirstWatt F1/F2 clone I isolated the FET HS so its heat doesn't affect any other innards:


Being fixated on cooling myself, I looking at perforating the sides & top OR bringing some heat external through use of a tasteful piggyback HS for the regs... Something like this but maybe not as tall:


Good luck on the builds guys!
post #144 of 2213
Hmm, I think the Champ is a classic guitar amp that has been around since the 50s so you may want to choose a more progressive name for it.

As for prototyping, organizing all of the parts orders seems like a hassle to me right now since I have just committed to studying for some big exams. I just want one package with smps, tube socket and parts to arrive at my doorstep!
post #145 of 2213
Two thumbs (ways)UP already. I'll definitely build this AMP.

Yes, it deserved a name.
If you guys don't really have a name or two in mind, could I humbly suggest.
It just sprung into my mind; putting its main features together.
Hybrid, even though it's a proper term, but I like word Fusion better :P
So, it's a Fusion amp, walwart powered.
Fusion Walwart headphone Amplifier
The word FUWA in Chinese should mean Lucky doll or Good luck doll,
so it could represent sth. tiny.

Cheers,
post #146 of 2213
Here's another name idea:
Alex's Really Compact Hybrid. "ARCH"

Then I was thinking it could extend to:

ARCH Is Excellent.. or ARCHIE

OK.. Im getting silly.. I'll stop now..
post #147 of 2213
+1 for ARCHIE !!!!!!
post #148 of 2213
Heh, ARCHIE... Anyway wanted to say we calculated the combined heater & LV 24 reg dissipation at less than 2 watts...
And my case was not uncomfortably hot even without the top holes, so I've unnecessarily concerned about it.

But if you wanted to get a watt or so out of your case you could consider top mounting something like the 2PP /
Mouser 774-73452PPBA
(only possible for LV 24V reg, NOT LM2595 (want leads short on that).
Even that may be overboard Probably tiny TO220 heatsinks within the case are fine as long as there are some holes...
post #149 of 2213
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0b1liz3 View Post
Hmm, I think the Champ is a classic guitar amp that has been around since the 50s so you may want to choose a more progressive name for it.

As for prototyping, organizing all of the parts orders seems like a hassle to me right now since I have just committed to studying for some big exams. I just want one package with smps, tube socket and parts to arrive at my doorstep!
I also want a complete kit. Maybe a group buy is in order?
post #150 of 2213
if the price is right, sign me up, im a starving student, and the tubes used in this amp (to me) seem a bit more available compared to the 19j6s
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › A Very Compact Hybrid Amp