I mean I'd love to get into the world of Stax or Audeze or Hifiman but the thing I love about the HD800s is that they're normal dynamic headphones and I don't need any special equipment (besides a baller amp) to use them.
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheisers fall from grace. Last post on 3/9/11 at 4:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Senn HD600/650 fans on the HD800 - owners only! Last post on 1/29/14 at 11:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Lost bass on right side - Sennheiser HD595 Last post on 2/21/14 at 10:51am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser's Own Balanced Cables for HD 600/650, HD 700, and HD 800 Available This Week Last post on 3/5/14 at 4:20pm in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- New Headphone for Rap and Pop Last post on 9/1/13 at 2:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/13
When it comes to Edifier, they are best known for their desktop PC speaker range and acquiring the prestigious electrostatic headphone company Stax. But just because they now own Stax doesn’t mean...
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review - Page 386
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5777 of 57816/7/13 at 7:02ampost #5778 of 578111/11/13 at 3:55pmpost #5779 of 57811/16/14 at 2:19pm
I have almost 35 hours on my new Sennheiser HD800, half powered by the Musical Fidelity X-Can V8P tube headphone amp and half powered by the new Sennheiser HDVA 600 headphone amplifier that arrived yesterday. Both amplifiers made the HD800 sing but the HDVA 600 took the HD800 headphone to another level all together. I believe the HD800 will likely require 100+ hours to be considered fully broken in and I expect the Sennheiser HDVA 600 amplifier will require the same or perhaps a bit more break-in. I also installed the Sennheiser CH 800 S balanced headphone cable when I received the HDVA 600 amp. I have about 18 hours on the HDVA 600 amplifier at this time.
Despite the fact that neither the HD800 or the HDVA 600 are anywhere near being completely broken in I am completely floored at the high quality performance they are delivering. The frequency response is well balanced from bottom to top. Bass is firm, deep, defined and impactful. The midrange is airy with lots of space between instruments and voices and no smearing of individual sounds. Everything has its own space. The extreme top end is full of life with cymbals shimmering and decaying very authentically, room ambiance and voice reverb are clearly audible when present. The dynamic impact is substantial at all volume levels any sane person might listen to. Despite some comments I have read saying the bass was shy, I don't have any sensation of that. What is clear to me, the HD800 and the HDVA 600 headphone amp are quite neutral and completely source dependent. If the source is rich, full and resolving, that is exactly what you hear. If the source is light in the bass, compressed, or otherwise compromised, that is what you hear. In my opinion the HD800 with the HDVA 600 tells it exactly like it is, the good, the bad, and the ugly. When the source is good this headphone rig is phenomenal. As it is set up, the HDVA 600 gets an analog signal from the Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 via balanced Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 interconnects. The W4S DAC2 is fed via a Wireworld Silver Platinum USB cable from a Sony Viao i7 laptop using JRiver Media Center 19. The DAC2 is also fed via a Wireworld Starlight digital coaxial cable from an Oppo BDP-83 that is used strictly as a transport. I am extremely impressed with this headphone station. Once I begin listening it is difficult to take the HD800 headphone off my head and do anything else except select more music. Color me a happy camper.
Edited by jdandy - 1/16/14 at 2:42pmpost #5780 of 57812/19/14 at 7:11pmQuote:Originally Posted by imackler
Hey all. Got some news from www.razordogaudio.com. They'll be no longer carrying Sennheiser products. But while they still have stock, all Sennheiser products over $250 will get 20% off while supplies last, including the HD 800! Use coupon code RAZORDOG20.
Brings the HD 800 down to $1,199.96. How good is this price? How low has it gotten in the past?
Also, is this the main HD 800 thread? I see an appreciation thread that's been closed for a year and I see this one as well, but it doesn't seem like it's as active as it should be.
Edited by roguegeek - 2/19/14 at 7:30pm
- The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Parts/Overclocking) 6 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 20 seconds ago
- › The Basshead Club 1 minute ago
- › The Battle of the Portables - A review of my headphones: Audio... 1 minute ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 1 minute ago
- › Bravo V3 headphone amp with 3 band EQ. 3 minutes ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 4 minutes ago
- › New to audio with new gear: The Xiang Sheng DA-03A. Don't think you... 6 minutes ago
- › Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead 7 minutes ago
- › Best Audio Setup/Headphones under $200 DT 990, HD 598, Akg 701..... 8 minutes ago
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude