I mean I'd love to get into the world of Stax or Audeze or Hifiman but the thing I love about the HD800s is that they're normal dynamic headphones and I don't need any special equipment (besides a baller amp) to use them.
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheisers fall from grace. Last post on 3/9/11 at 4:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Senn HD600/650 fans on the HD800 - owners only! Last post on 1/29/14 at 11:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Lost bass on right side - Sennheiser HD595 Last post on 2/21/14 at 10:51am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser's Own Balanced Cables for HD 600/650, HD 700, and HD 800 Available This Week Last post on 3/5/14 at 4:20pm in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- New Headphone for Rap and Pop Last post on 9/1/13 at 2:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/13
First off- I got these for $130 from Newegg, and for that price they are a bargain. The $400 list price is way too expensive. Th fit and finish are beautiful on these, my only complaint would be...
I must admit It's been quite the journey with the company T-PEOS since I tried their H-100 going way back to October - 2012. Since then I've heard most of T-PEOS mid tier line up including H-200...
This card is really great if you're looking to power higher impedance cans at a bargain price. Another really great thing about this is that it's microphone input is vastly superior to that of most...
I've used most of the old-school brands (Grado, AKG, Sennheiser, Sony, Koss, David Clark, ...) and have tried several of the Jonny-come-latelys, and the HD700s are simply the best for comfort and...
Headphone: LCD-2 rev2 Comparition amp: Schitt Asgard v1 I can't tell how much i love my new Schiit amp - the Mjolnir. However, i remember the mids on my LCD-2 had been more thick and blooming...
The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review - Page 386
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5777 of 57816/7/13 at 7:02ampost #5778 of 578111/11/13 at 3:55pmpost #5779 of 57811/16/14 at 2:19pm
I have almost 35 hours on my new Sennheiser HD800, half powered by the Musical Fidelity X-Can V8P tube headphone amp and half powered by the new Sennheiser HDVA 600 headphone amplifier that arrived yesterday. Both amplifiers made the HD800 sing but the HDVA 600 took the HD800 headphone to another level all together. I believe the HD800 will likely require 100+ hours to be considered fully broken in and I expect the Sennheiser HDVA 600 amplifier will require the same or perhaps a bit more break-in. I also installed the Sennheiser CH 800 S balanced headphone cable when I received the HDVA 600 amp. I have about 18 hours on the HDVA 600 amplifier at this time.
Despite the fact that neither the HD800 or the HDVA 600 are anywhere near being completely broken in I am completely floored at the high quality performance they are delivering. The frequency response is well balanced from bottom to top. Bass is firm, deep, defined and impactful. The midrange is airy with lots of space between instruments and voices and no smearing of individual sounds. Everything has its own space. The extreme top end is full of life with cymbals shimmering and decaying very authentically, room ambiance and voice reverb are clearly audible when present. The dynamic impact is substantial at all volume levels any sane person might listen to. Despite some comments I have read saying the bass was shy, I don't have any sensation of that. What is clear to me, the HD800 and the HDVA 600 headphone amp are quite neutral and completely source dependent. If the source is rich, full and resolving, that is exactly what you hear. If the source is light in the bass, compressed, or otherwise compromised, that is what you hear. In my opinion the HD800 with the HDVA 600 tells it exactly like it is, the good, the bad, and the ugly. When the source is good this headphone rig is phenomenal. As it is set up, the HDVA 600 gets an analog signal from the Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 via balanced Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 interconnects. The W4S DAC2 is fed via a Wireworld Silver Platinum USB cable from a Sony Viao i7 laptop using JRiver Media Center 19. The DAC2 is also fed via a Wireworld Starlight digital coaxial cable from an Oppo BDP-83 that is used strictly as a transport. I am extremely impressed with this headphone station. Once I begin listening it is difficult to take the HD800 headphone off my head and do anything else except select more music. Color me a happy camper.
Edited by jdandy - 1/16/14 at 2:42pmpost #5780 of 57812/19/14 at 7:11pmQuote:Originally Posted by imackler
Hey all. Got some news from www.razordogaudio.com. They'll be no longer carrying Sennheiser products. But while they still have stock, all Sennheiser products over $250 will get 20% off while supplies last, including the HD 800! Use coupon code RAZORDOG20.
Brings the HD 800 down to $1,199.96. How good is this price? How low has it gotten in the past?
Also, is this the main HD 800 thread? I see an appreciation thread that's been closed for a year and I see this one as well, but it doesn't seem like it's as active as it should be.
Edited by roguegeek - 2/19/14 at 7:30pm
- The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Band Name Game II 7 seconds ago
- › broken grado sr325is 22 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 49 seconds ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Newbie to the forum 2 minutes ago
- › IC: Lawton LA-7000 -- [Pristine Condition] 2 minutes ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 2 minutes ago
- › In-ear headphones under 150€ 2 minutes ago
- › T-PEOS H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid Impressions and Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Ferrari AAV-1LFH009K Cavallino T350 Over-Ear Headphones by ourfpshero
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by H20Fidelity
- › Asus Xonar DGX by SSSN
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by stpope
- › Schiit Mjolnir by tamleo
- › Brainwavz M4 In-Ear Headphones by Kadano
- › FiiO X5 High-res Portable Music Player by KT66
- › Noontec ZOROHDBLK ZORO HD True Sound Headphones with Inline Mic and... by BillsonChang007
- › Hisoundaudio BA100 by Jazmanaut
- › Beats Studio Wireless Over-Ear Headphone by gl0ry
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude