Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Should I get the ASUS Xonar Essence STX ??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I get the ASUS Xonar Essence STX ?? - Page 2

post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsala View Post
I think the Asus soundcards ain't as good as the Creative X-Fi range of cards. I have the X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series and the sound is totally out of this world. I guess maybe you should try out the various sound cards first before making ur purchase decision. Good Luck!
May I ask what you use the card primarily for? Gaming / music / movies? Did you benefit from features like EAX? Was it the crystalizer in the x-fi that you liked?
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsala View Post
I think the Asus soundcards ain't as good as the Creative X-Fi range of cards. I have the X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series and the sound is totally out of this world. I guess maybe you should try out the various sound cards first before making ur purchase decision. Good Luck!
What.....

Having thoroughly tested both the Prelude and Essence STX, the Essence STX = significantly better music wise.

Silly fanboism.
post #18 of 22
Not a chance, A Creative X-fi is no where near the quality of a Xonar Essence STX.

They are not even in the same league..
post #19 of 22

Asus Xonar Essence STX over the Prelude 7.1?

sorry.
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBSCIX View Post
Not a chance, A Creative X-fi is no where near the quality of a Xonar Essence STX.

They are not even in the same league..
Agreed , Not even the stock Elite Pro. Modded close but still no cigar. STX still still far enough ahead to make the jump worth it even with the the STX being cheaper than the Elite pro. $300 compared to less than $200 yet the $200 actually sounds substantially better & allows the highest quality recording. Full 24 bit 192KHz sample rate (with the right program that is).

Note, I replaced my Elite Pro card & haven't looked back. The Elite pro now resides in my girlfriends computer as it comes with a very simple record program that she likes to use. Both cards have very very good record sections by the way but the playback system is substantially better on the STX. The Elite Pro only supports 24 bit 96KHz sample rate recording though
post #21 of 22
yesterday i've got the asus xonar essence as i have sennheiser pc-350 headphones and i needed amp for them (150 ohms) - that xonar boasted a headphone amp.
ok, the sound does come out louder, it doesnt mean it's of better quality.
im referring strictly to games. in gta 4 the sound on xonar sounds bad (like coming from a barrel) - as compared to x-fi titanium i had also.
xonar essence boasts also dolby headphone - disappointment too, very little effect put into, but no sounds filling my head as i would expected.
in dirt 2 the sound experience was so-so, lets say its good.

i will have to stress out that only today im gonna test the xonar on music with decent signal (yesterday only listened to low quality signal music and i didnt like it either)

i do hope i wont have to send xonar essence back, but if further testing will confirm my disappointment, i'll just return it and stick to my x-fi titanium.
OR, return it and ask them to send me instead an x-fi titanium fatality pro ( though i hope i wont have windows 7 driver problems with that one, as i've heard it may happen)

yes, i admit i am primarily a gamer, but i do listen to music (symphonic and rock) ocasionally.
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecsus27 View Post
yesterday i've got the asus xonar essence as i have sennheiser pc-350 headphones and i needed amp for them (150 ohms) - that xonar boasted a headphone amp.
ok, the sound does come out louder, it doesnt mean it's of better quality.
im referring strictly to games. in gta 4 the sound on xonar sounds bad (like coming from a barrel) - as compared to x-fi titanium i had also.
xonar essence boasts also dolby headphone - disappointment too, very little effect put into, but no sounds filling my head as i would expected.
in dirt 2 the sound experience was so-so, lets say its good.

i will have to stress out that only today im gonna test the xonar on music with decent signal (yesterday only listened to low quality signal music and i didnt like it either)

i do hope i wont have to send xonar essence back, but if further testing will confirm my disappointment, i'll just return it and stick to my x-fi titanium.
OR, return it and ask them to send me instead an x-fi titanium fatality pro ( though i hope i wont have windows 7 driver problems with that one, as i've heard it may happen)

yes, i admit i am primarily a gamer, but i do listen to music (symphonic and rock) ocasionally.
Symphonic music should be phenominal, usually good care is taken to get a good representation of the actual event. Rock will be very very hit & MISS. Note the emphesis on MISS. That is because rock music is mostly mastered these days to be loud as possible without any regard for dynamics. Older rock had better dynamics but typcally had overboosted treble & weak bass due to mastering for LP. Many times they went to the LP masters instead of the original pre EQ tapes to make the CD releases of early rock recordings. Niether of these types of recordings will sound nice on the STX but will for the most part sound better than the X-Fi cards.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Should I get the ASUS Xonar Essence STX ??