Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Rockhopper M^3 - The Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rockhopper M^3 - The Review - Page 35

post #511 of 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Don't you worry about it.  I did it for a reason.  

 

I have a Rockhopper M^3....  what's the reason?

post #512 of 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Don't you worry about it.  I did it for a reason.  


Is it the bass light or bass heavy version?

post #513 of 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post

 

I have a Rockhopper M^3....  what's the reason?

I'm trying to figure out if I should go with a fully balanced M3 (YBM) no bass boost or a GS - X.

 

What's the pros and cons for both?

 

Which one can drive the HE - 5LE / LCDx properly.


Edited by preproman - 6/10/12 at 4:55pm
post #514 of 523

Balanced is a waste of money.

 

That said, get the GS-X if you can afford it, or a GS-1 if you know the owner really well.
 

post #515 of 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post

Balanced is a waste of money.

 

That said, get the GS-X if you can afford it, or a GS-1 if you know the owner really well.
 

 

Why is balanced a waste of money?

post #516 of 523

I'm not going to go into the forum mythology regarding balanced, but mods such as kwkarth (who's an engineer) and many other respected posters have pointed out that there is no audible difference between a well made balanced amp and a well made single ended amp. 

 

You can pick through the LCD thread to find kwkarth's statements from a couple of years ago.

 

What balanced does is play louder, about 4 dB louder, but if you carefully volume balance you won't hear a difference.

 

I remember one of the respected guys, on the forum that can't be mentioned, did a comparison of balance and single ended on his GS-X and reported more than once, that he heard no difference between the two outputs.  It goes on and on, but that example comes to mind.

 

There are also many other threads concerning this money making non-event.

 

You might also want to investigate "balanced" in the Sound Science forum and read some of the mythology threads. 

 

Once you wade past the silly arguments and baseless testimonials, you will see there is no science to support balanced, except in very long runs between components, not headphones.  (Yeah the slew rate is measurably faster but the difference is not audible).

 

Good luck.

 

USG
 

post #517 of 523

Thanks USG,

 

I'll do more reading on the things you pointed out.  Thanks again.  

 

How does your M3 compare to say the GS-1 or other amps in that price range?

post #518 of 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Thanks USG,

 

I'll do more reading on the things you pointed out.  Thanks again.  

 

How does your M3 compare to say the GS-1 or other amps in that price range?

 

I like my M^3s, they have the same sound signature as my Woo3 with a Cetron tube and 2 Jan 6922s. 

 

The GS-1 is another animal.  It's a wire with gain amp and is completely transparent.  It is also full featured and IMHO was the best bang for the buck in audio.  It's a shame they are discontinued.

 

As a side issue, the O2 amp, when played on low gain and within it's power envelope, sounds remarkably like the GS-1.  Clean, clear and transparent.

 

If you want an amp with personality, a Gilmore is not for you.

post #519 of 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post

 

I like my M^3s, they have the same sound signature as my Woo3 with a Cetron tube and 2 Jan 6922s. 

 

The GS-1 is another animal.  It's a wire with gain amp and is completely transparent.  It is also full featured and IMHO was the best bang for the buck in audio.  It's a shame they are discontinued.

 

As a side issue, the O2 amp, when played on low gain and within it's power envelope, sounds remarkably like the GS-1.  Clean, clear and transparent.

 

If you want an amp with personality, a Gilmore is not for you.

 

As you can see by my sig.  I have the GS-1.  Before your reply a day ago, I was looking for a good balanced amp for the basement.  I also have a B22 from YBM as my main rig.  The GS-1 is in the bedroom right now.  

 

I was thinking about a balanced M3 from YBM for a GS-X from Justin.  Since I got the B22 I've been getting all my higher end "CANS" re cabled and planning on leaving a few of the others closed "CANS" singled for the bedroom and the GS-1.

 

So now how would a balanced M3 compare to a GS-X or say a Master 6 from Audio-gd?

 

Darryl

post #520 of 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

As you can see by my sig.  I have the GS-1.  Before your reply a day ago, I was looking for a good balanced amp for the basement.  I also have a B22 from YBM as my main rig.  The GS-1 is in the bedroom right now.  

 

I was thinking about a balanced M3 from YBM for a GS-X from Justin.  Since I got the B22 I've been getting all my higher end "CANS" re cabled and planning on leaving a few of the others closed "CANS" singled for the bedroom and the GS-1.

 

So now how would a balanced M3 compare to a GS-X or say a Master 6 from Audio-gd?

 

Darryl


Get the GS-X.

post #521 of 523

You are WRONG! Balance sounds better! It better sound better since it cost me a lot more money. biggrin.gif

post #522 of 523
Quote:
You are WRONG! Balance sounds better! It better sound better since it cost me a lot more money

In good setup with decent recording. System as good as you weak link even if you spend a lot of money. Also all rules got exceptions. You need to try before you buy. Local head-fy meetings or mates are you source.

Vlad

post #523 of 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrarroyo View Post

You are WRONG! Balance sounds better! It better sound better since it cost me a lot more money. biggrin.gif

 

+1

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Rockhopper M^3 - The Review