Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Lets Talk Metal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lets Talk Metal - Page 653

post #9781 of 17005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negakinu View Post


Guys, if you haven't listened to Drudkh's "Blood in Our Wells" yet, please give the album a try. Yesterday night I was lying in bed, listening to this album (Sansa Zip, RE0, Headstage Arrow) and I was completely blown away again. I forgot how much I love this band. 

Believe it or not, I don't own this album. Its one of those CDs that just slipped.

What do you think I named the Forgotten Legends article after? :-)
post #9782 of 17005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBSC View Post

 

Hahaha. I never really got Daft Punk either. MEH I say. I have nothing against electronic music, I actually like a lot of it. I just prefer the kind that's a bit more... out there.

 

 

 

I think I may have been over zelous in this post. Clearly, this kind of music has wide appeal. It's just not my thing.

 

I may be mixing my genres-but I've never been a fan of "house music". Probably because it makes me think of being single in my late teens/20's at clubs and bars and never really feeling comfortable in my skin trying to impress the opposite sex with dance music when I pretty much hated the pop dance music of my generation.

 

 

I know I listen to a lot of other stuff that plenty of people think sucks just as much.....

post #9783 of 17005
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post

I'm on your page, there. I'd rather listen to some interstesting experimental ambient...

 

However, I think I may have been over zelous in this post. Clearly, this kind of music has wide appeal. It's just not my thing.

 

I may be mixing my genres-but I've never been a fan of "house music". Probably because it makes me think of being single in my late teens/20's at clubs and bars and never really feeling comfortable in my skin trying to impress the opposite sex with dance music when I pretty much hated the pop dance music of my generation. Techno was big at the time, and I somehow found it depressing....lacking soul....which of course doesn't explain why I would like Blut Aus Nord or Meshuggah, buy it's my honest reaction.

 

 

I know I listen to a lot of other stuff that plenty of people think sucks just as much.....

post #9784 of 17005

Hey guys I have some more music for everyone to try out. This first bit is Vaura, prog metal with a lot of different influences. The whole album is worth a listen because of how much the tracks vary. 

 

 

And Kayo Dot has a teaser for their new album:

 

https://soundcloud.com/tobydriver/kayo-dot-hubardo-teaser

 

The new Daft Punk sounds like the guys were nostalgic for a time they didn't exist in. And they didn't exactly pick the best music of that era. 

post #9785 of 17005
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post

I think I may have been over zelous in this post. Clearly, this kind of music has wide appeal. It's just not my thing.

I may be mixing my genres-but I've never been a fan of "house music". Probably because it makes me think of being single in my late teens/20's at clubs and bars and never really feeling comfortable in my skin trying to impress the opposite sex with dance music when I pretty much hated the pop dance music of my generation.


I know I listen to a lot of other stuff that plenty of people think sucks just as much.....

Hey not a problem whatsoever!
post #9786 of 17005
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post

I think I may have been over zelous in this post. Clearly, this kind of music has wide appeal. It's just not my thing.

 

I may be mixing my genres-but I've never been a fan of "house music". Probably because it makes me think of being single in my late teens/20's at clubs and bars and never really feeling comfortable in my skin trying to impress the opposite sex with dance music when I pretty much hated the pop dance music of my generation.

 

 

I know I listen to a lot of other stuff that plenty of people think sucks just as much.....

i know what it's like to listen to music nobody listens to or likes. welcome to basically my entire library. if you look at my post history in the various music threads, you can also see a trend of me asking about a particular group or genre and mostly nobody commenting at all. it's like i don't exist most of the time.

post #9787 of 17005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negakinu View Post

 

Tenhi, Wardruna, Arcana (Dark Age of Reason & Cantar de Procella), Dargaard, Die Verbannten Kinder Evas, Sophia (Herbstwerk) and if you feel like metal:

 

 

Guys, if you haven't listened to Drudkh's "Blood in Our Wells" yet, please give the album a try. Yesterday night I was lying in bed, listening to this album (Sansa Zip, RE0, Headstage Arrow) and I was completely blown away again. I forgot how much I love this band. 

Yep.. I live Drudkh.. I like songs of  Songs Of Grief And Solitude.

 

The reason I like Kveldsangger and Vali is because they are minimalistic and atmospheric with a scandinavian flavour... I will check your recommendations.. Thank you

 

By the way have you listened to Ainulindalë.. Its nice..


Edited by wrathzombie - 5/29/13 at 7:12pm
post #9788 of 17005
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalT View Post

i know what it's like to listen to music nobody listens to or likes. welcome to basically my entire library. if you look at my post history in the various music threads, you can also see a trend of me asking about a particular group or genre and mostly nobody commenting at all. it's like i don't exist most of the time.

You shouldn't feel that way. That just means you listen to your own drummer and think outside of the norm which in book is nothin' but cool. To me that's a big part of metal. When I was a kid there was no extreme metal. I was never part of any scene. I was kind of an artsy theater guy and most of the kids I hung with listened to "modern rock" and my music was for Neanderthals. Then, metal and punk and alternative kind of got mainstream with the likes of  Jane's Addiction and so on and then moved on....

 

I think  you have to embrace the fact that it's mostly been a marginalized, oft times maligned music for the misfits of the world. And, if you look at successful metal musicians, they often come from really disfunctional environments. It fuels their music. Now that I'm much older married with child and years later have a normal life-I totally embrace that notion. Music for the those of us that never exactly fit in. I wouldn't want it any other way.

post #9789 of 17005
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post

I think I may have been over zelous in this post. Clearly, this kind of music has wide appeal. It's just not my thing.

 

I may be mixing my genres-but I've never been a fan of "house music". Probably because it makes me think of being single in my late teens/20's at clubs and bars and never really feeling comfortable in my skin trying to impress the opposite sex with dance music when I pretty much hated the pop dance music of my generation.

 

"House" is generally the boom-tizz boom-tizz crap that's usually associated with clubs and bars. Most of it is just god awful. I don't think electronic music as a whole spans quite as wide of a gamut as metal, but there are still a lot of different styles.

 

 

post #9790 of 17005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBSC View Post

 I don't think electronic music as a whole spans quite as wide of a gamut as metal, but there are still a lot of different styles.

 

I disagree. Electronic music for starters isn't limited by conventional instruments as metal usually is. The potential for variation only begins from there L3000.gif

post #9791 of 17005
Some how I'm rediscovering Death. I have been listening to the Human album all day. That and Individual Thought Patterns are just prime examples of the band in rare form.
post #9792 of 17005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBSC View Post

 

"House" is generally the boom-tizz boom-tizz crap that's usually associated with clubs and bars. Most of it is just god awful. I don't think electronic music as a whole spans quite as wide of a gamut as metal, but there are still a lot of different styles.

 

 

Thanks for the clarification....clearly I need an education in this genreconfused_face(1).gif

 

The link you sent-is that an example of god awful house you referred to or an example of "good" electronic music?

 

Another geizer question. The electronic music that kids hear at raves (to me sounds like what we used to call Techno in the late 80's)-what do you call that?


Edited by markm1 - 5/30/13 at 3:03am
post #9793 of 17005
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post

Thanks for the clarification....clearly I need an education in this genre:confused_face(1):

The link you sent-is that an example of god awful house you referred to or an example of "good" electronic music?

Another geizer question. The electronic music that kids hear at raves (to me sounds like what we used to call Techno in the late 80's)-what do you call that?

Depends. A lot of it could be trance or straight up techno like you said, or a mix of electronica, trance, and techno. All depends.
post #9794 of 17005
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post

You shouldn't feel that way. That just means you listen to your own drummer and think outside of the norm which in book is nothin' but cool. To me that's a big part of metal. When I was a kid there was no extreme metal. I was never part of any scene. I was kind of an artsy theater guy and most of the kids I hung with listened to "modern rock" and my music was for Neanderthals. Then, metal and punk and alternative kind of got mainstream with the likes of  Jane's Addiction and so on and then moved on....

 

I think  you have to embrace the fact that it's mostly been a marginalized, oft times maligned music for the misfits of the world. And, if you look at successful metal musicians, they often come from really disfunctional environments. It fuels their music. Now that I'm much older married with child and years later have a normal life-I totally embrace that notion. Music for the those of us that never exactly fit in. I wouldn't want it any other way.

 

thank you so much for the kind words!

 

It feels like two sides of a coin. I like the feeling of being unique, or contrary, but it's lonely. I want to nerd out about the stuff I love, but nobody else likes it. I like the social aspect of music, audiophillia, etc, but I don't get that nicety.

post #9795 of 17005

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Lets Talk Metal