Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Lets Talk Metal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lets Talk Metal - Page 637

post #9541 of 16094
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post

Enjoying Samothrace at the moment.....the opposite of power metal.....low and slow evil_smiley.gif

 

 

Edit-for doom lovers-just two long songs which feels a little lean, but good stuff.

You should also try Bell Witch, they share a bass player and it's a bit more calm and beautiful compared to this. Both very much awesome.

post #9542 of 16094
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKENEDPLAGUE View Post

heavy metal and power metal do not deserve to be put as equals. I can listen to Judas Priest, but there isn't a single power metal album I can sit through without wishing it would stop. As for the post a page or two ago about thrash should die, at least the originals from the 80's did it correctly with some notables in the 90's. But the majority of this thrash revival is LMFAO in a denim jacket and white h- wait a minute they do that anyway

HammerFall is my favorite Power Metal band. Crimson Thunder is in my top 5 Metal albums ever. So good.

Anyway, I honestly can't do early Thrash and it's the main reason I dislike the genre. Anthrax, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc. do almost nothing for me. Maiden is okay I guess.

I love Judas Priest though... I've found a few more recent Thrash bands I like (Testament and Kreator), but for the most part I just hate it.
post #9543 of 16094

Maiden isn't thrash, and some styles are better than others.

 

 

 

 

 

post #9544 of 16094

Oh and here's a personal favorite

 

post #9545 of 16094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirnupiima View Post

You should also try Bell Witch, they share a bass player and it's a bit more calm and beautiful compared to this. Both very much awesome.

Yeah-I've been looking for that disc....not a vinyl guy. And, I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

Thx.

post #9546 of 16094

I just want to point out that I have been listening to the new Deafheaven track at least 10 times today. Sweet Baby Jesus.

And btw I used to listen to a lot of Rhapsody (of Fire) back when I first got into Metal. Good musicians, but the music is just waaay too cheesy for me :D

post #9547 of 16094
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post

Enjoying Samothrace at the moment.....the opposite of power metal.....low and slow evil_smiley.gif




Edit-for doom lovers-just two long songs which feels a little lean, but good stuff.

I stand by my selection that the Samothrace album was one of THE best albums of 2012. Short but sweet.

We have a slew of awesome stuff Dave and I are listening too...this is gonna be a big year for sure.
post #9548 of 16094


I just reviewed it and its great. Head over the Hells Headbanger to listen to the official stream and DEFINITELY pick this up! Seriously, well worth it.

My review with proper links.
post #9549 of 16094

Holy **** i found it. Remember a while back i asked if anyone could find the metal cover of Beethovens 1st Piano Sonata 4th movement? Found it, thank Tom Yum Goong for mentioning the band. Can't believe i recognized the name.

Here is the piano piece for comparison. Really my favorite classical piece of all and Beethoven at his angriest. 

post #9550 of 16094

Also we went back to the studio to finish the recording. Got everything but the vocals which will be done next week. 
Here is a version straight from the studio that is very raw and was only meant for the vocalist to practice to.  Though i think it sounds pretty good other than the obvious issues which we be fixed when mixing.

https://soundcloud.com/john-calligan/bury-me-alive-attrition-raw

Edit: yes we are a Southern California band and would not have an audience without breakdowns. Though out of all the bands around here i want to say we are the least core. Especially when the vocals come in, vocalist listens to a lot of black metal and is pretty good at what he does. Ill just have to show you guys in a week or two when the song should be complete.

2nd Edit: it was a long way coming but it seems that this is my 900th post. 


Edited by John In Cali - 5/2/13 at 4:59pm
post #9551 of 16094

Rhapsody of Fire is an amazing band. They were a favorite of mine for a long, long time.

post #9552 of 16094
Quote:
Originally Posted by John In Cali View Post

Also we went back to the studio to finish the recording. Got everything but the vocals which will be done next week. 

Here is a version straight from the studio that is very raw and was only meant for the vocalist to practice to.  Though i think it sounds pretty good other than the obvious issues which we be fixed when mixing.
https://soundcloud.com/john-calligan/bury-me-alive-attrition-raw
Edit: yes we are a Southern California band and would not have an audience without breakdowns. Though out of all the bands around here i want to say we are the least core. Especially when the vocals come in, vocalist listens to a lot of black metal and is pretty good at what he does. Ill just have to show you guys in a week or two when the song should be complete.
2nd Edit: it was a long way coming but it seems that this is my 900th post. 

John, is that a xylophone I hear? Thanks for posting and being brave about it.
post #9553 of 16094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post


John, is that a xylophone I hear? Thanks for posting and being brave about it.

Not really sure haha. The pianist had picked that for that song before i came around. I just kinda realized its quite weird. I've heard the song so many times though that is just sounds right to me. Thats the only song that uses that sound though. Most just use straight piano.

post #9554 of 16094

Listening to Baroness' Yellow & Green for the first time and I'm surprised at how much more I like this than their Metal albums.

 

This record it really, really good. I'm definitely hoping for more like this. Some songs remind me a lot of Queens of the Stone Age, and that's a VERY good thing.

post #9555 of 16094
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

Listening to Baroness' Yellow & Green for the first time and I'm surprised at how much more I like this than their Metal albums.

This record it really, really good. I'm definitely hoping for more like this. Some songs remind me a lot of Queens of the Stone Age, and that's a VERY good thing.

Seeing them live this month!

I SAW them literally when NO ONE knew who they were (it was a Mastodon/BTBAM/Baroness show with a few friends many years ago, I think Red record time frame).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Lets Talk Metal