Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Lets Talk Metal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lets Talk Metal - Page 598

post #8956 of 16581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post

Opeth .....really the best. If there ever was an audiophile metal band Opeth would be it.

 

Ehhhh.... Opeth on vinyl yes, fantastic. Opeth on CD on the other hand is OK, but they're all smashed and the sound isn't that spectacular, particularly with Ghost and beyond. Vader is pretty decent on vinyl, nothing to write home about on CD. I think Barren Earth has Opeth beat for CD sound quality. The new Riverside CD sounds VERY good, it's actually pretty damn close to the vinyl. ADHD on CD though isn't so good. OSI's Fire Make Thunder is pretty good, although the vinyl has it beat. Pallbearer's album is massively dynamic and sounds very good.

 

But yeah, if you want to hear great sounding metal, you pretty much have to own a turntable. Sad, but true.

post #8957 of 16581

Abandon - The Dead End

 

Anyone hear this? Possibly the most desperate, depressing, just downright evil sludge record ever, massive on 3xLPs and well.

 

 

post #8958 of 16581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post

 

*

 

I don't know what you are? But because most all metal people are cool unless they are rednecks out in a field drunk at a keg party and your scoping out their girlfriend. So I will help you with your quest.

 

Opeth .....really the best. If there ever was an audiophile metal band Opeth would be it.

Some of the 2009-2011 Death Metal records like Cannibal Corpse.

2013 Rotting Christ and 2007 Rotting Christ

Any Late four Saytricon records

The last three Vader records

The last three Kreator records

 

There is a small list. I really like the sound of the last two Judas Priest records. They are in the studio now minus one original guitar player but the next release will most-likely sound great. This is expected this year, maybe at the end though.

 

I love the sound quality of The Eye by King Diamond. I used the disk as a reference when testing cables. I know every note plus it has great sound. The Eye by King Diamond is kind of like Dark Side Of The Moon for testing Metal. Also Conspiracy is a great classic metal recording.

Thank you, I will check these out. I wasn't trolling though; for instance I love Metallicas Black Album and think it's in many ways a perfect album. But the mix is so thin! You'd need a very  bass-heavy setup for this album to sound anything above O.K. And everyone knows about Death Magnetic...

I recently traded my Denon AH-D2000 headphones in for a pair of D7000s, and driven by a Cambridge DacMagic Plus I think they sound fantastic. But metal just about never sounds as good as say, Yello, or Elvis Presley. In my tastes there is usually too little meat in the lead guitar, the bass is all but inaudible and the drums are almost never as physical as I'd like them to be. They're there, but no more. Usually the soundstage is also not very good, sounding like all the musicians are standing in the same spot.

I'm listening to Phantom Antichrist now, and have to agree that in regard to these things it's really very good. It's WAY better than a lot of metal I've heard, but I still feel it could be slightly better in seperating the guitars, and the bass guitar is often drowned out.

A personal favourite in this regard is Rage Against the Machine. You can say what you want about the music they make, but I find the mix to be excellent. You can really feel the drums, the instruments are spaced out from each other and you can hear all of them clearly. I find this particularly evident on their self-titled album (which is also the best in all regards, in my opinion). The drumbeat and bass at the start of Take the Power Back is just magnificent.

 

From reading other posts in this thread it really does look like I need to get hold of a turntable. As my current headphone amp of choice only accepts digital input this means I'd have to get a new amp as well :/

Oh well, I'll just have to start saving!

post #8959 of 16581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pritolus View Post

Thank you, I will check these out. I wasn't trolling though; for instance I love Metallicas Black Album and think it's in many ways a perfect album. But the mix is so thin! You'd need a very  bass-heavy setup for this album to sound anything above O.K. And everyone knows about Death Magnetic...

I recently traded my Denon AH-D2000 headphones in for a pair of D7000s, and driven by a Cambridge DacMagic Plus I think they sound fantastic. But metal just about never sounds as good as say, Yello, or Elvis Presley. In my tastes there is usually too little meat in the lead guitar, the bass is all but inaudible and the drums are almost never as physical as I'd like them to be. They're there, but no more. Usually the soundstage is also not very good, sounding like all the musicians are standing in the same spot.

I'm listening to Phantom Antichrist now, and have to agree that in regard to these things it's really very good. It's WAY better than a lot of metal I've heard, but I still feel it could be slightly better in seperating the guitars, and the bass guitar is often drowned out.

A personal favourite in this regard is Rage Against the Machine. You can say what you want about the music they make, but I find the mix to be excellent. You can really feel the drums, the instruments are spaced out from each other and you can hear all of them clearly. I find this particularly evident on their self-titled album (which is also the best in all regards, in my opinion). The drumbeat and bass at the start of Take the Power Back is just magnificent.

 

From reading other posts in this thread it really does look like I need to get hold of a turntable. As my current headphone amp of choice only accepts digital input this means I'd have to get a new amp as well :/

Oh well, I'll just have to start saving!

 

 

There are all kinds of different ways to hear The Black Album. I have it on 5.1 DVD audio also on regular 16 bit 44.1 Khz CD. Also on vinyl. The vinyl I have is from 08, I never was into it when it came out. I do have some original Metallica from the day. It just took me a while to warm up to The Black Album. It does sound the best on vinyl.

 

I have Death Magnet on vinyl too but it is a very middle of the road mix. Some here may hate it. It was sooo much better than St. Anger that I overlooked the SQ. Most here though will say it's thin and the vinyl does not make it all that much better.

 

Same as Justice For All. I have the original vinyl from the day as well as the 09 reissue. Both vinyls of Justice For All suck! Even the CD mix is bad. I saw em play it live on the Justice For All tour. It sounded the best live!

 

Master Of Puppets is their crowning glory and is an amazing slab of wax. I have a perfect original from the day (how it made it passed all the beer, don't know?) The 180 gram 45s are OK that came of  MOP in 08 and I also have the 33.3 that came out in 08 they are really not as good as the thin 1986 1st pressing. Who caresL3000.gif though it's Master of Puppets and it's good anyway you can get it!


Edited by Redcarmoose - 3/23/13 at 3:03am
post #8960 of 16581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pritolus View Post

Thank you, I will check these out. I wasn't trolling though; for instance I love Metallicas Black Album and think it's in many ways a perfect album. But the mix is so thin! You'd need a very  bass-heavy setup for this album to sound anything above O.K. And everyone knows about Death Magnetic...

I recently traded my Denon AH-D2000 headphones in for a pair of D7000s, and driven by a Cambridge DacMagic Plus I think they sound fantastic. But metal just about never sounds as good as say, Yello, or Elvis Presley. In my tastes there is usually too little meat in the lead guitar, the bass is all but inaudible and the drums are almost never as physical as I'd like them to be. They're there, but no more. Usually the soundstage is also not very good, sounding like all the musicians are standing in the same spot.

I'm listening to Phantom Antichrist now, and have to agree that in regard to these things it's really very good. It's WAY better than a lot of metal I've heard, but I still feel it could be slightly better in seperating the guitars, and the bass guitar is often drowned out.

A personal favourite in this regard is Rage Against the Machine. You can say what you want about the music they make, but I find the mix to be excellent. You can really feel the drums, the instruments are spaced out from each other and you can hear all of them clearly. I find this particularly evident on their self-titled album (which is also the best in all regards, in my opinion). The drumbeat and bass at the start of Take the Power Back is just magnificent.

 

From reading other posts in this thread it really does look like I need to get hold of a turntable. As my current headphone amp of choice only accepts digital input this means I'd have to get a new amp as well :/

Oh well, I'll just have to start saving!


I'd like to add Leprous - Bilateral and Ne Obliviscaris - Portal of I. Both have very clear mixing, and to my ears Bilateral has the best recorded drums in all of metal. Something about 'em just clicks with my headphones!

post #8961 of 16581

This is not a joke. 

 

 

 

RELAX GIRL RELAX! 

 

 

And the best one yet:


Edited by Negakinu - 3/23/13 at 9:26am
post #8962 of 16581

The have the Black Album on vinyl as well and it sounds the best I've heard it. Same master as yours, I think.

 

I'm not a Metallica fan but there's a super kick ass 45 cut of Kill 'Em All that any fan should own.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post

There are all kinds of different ways to hear The Black Album. I have it on 5.1 DVD audio also on regular 16 bit 44.1 Khz CD. Also on vinyl. The vinyl I have is from 08, I never was into it when it came out. I do have some original Metallica from the day. It just took me a while to warm up to The Black Album. It does sound the best on vinyl.

post #8963 of 16581
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBSC View Post

Ehhhh.... Opeth on vinyl yes, fantastic. Opeth on CD on the other hand is OK, but they're all smashed and the sound isn't that spectacular, particularly with Ghost and beyond. Vader is pretty decent on vinyl, nothing to write home about on CD. I think Barren Earth has Opeth beat for CD sound quality. The new Riverside CD sounds VERY good, it's actually pretty damn close to the vinyl. ADHD on CD though isn't so good. OSI's Fire Make Thunder is pretty good, although the vinyl has it beat. Pallbearer's album is massively dynamic and sounds very good.

But yeah, if you want to hear great sounding metal, you pretty much have to own a turntable. Sad, but true.

Despite Redcarmoose's feelings about the album, Heritage's master on CD is fantastic.
post #8964 of 16581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post


Despite Redcarmoose's feelings about the album, Heritage's master on CD is fantastic.

The SQ may be great. It's the music which bugs me. It's like reaching down on your wedding night and finding your new bride has the junk like a dude.

post #8965 of 16581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post

The SQ may be great. It's the music which bugs me. It's like reaching down on your wedding night and finding your new bride has the junk like a dude.

Hey man it's no BWP but I still loved it. Speaking of which...the Heritage vinyl is still readily available.

post #8966 of 16581
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

The have the Black Album on vinyl as well and it sounds the best I've heard it. Same master as yours, I think.

 

I'm not a Metallica fan but there's a super kick ass 45 cut of Kill 'Em All that any fan should own.

 

I did wonder about that. It came out in regular 33.3 and 45 rpms at the time in 08-09. I really wish I would have purchased it. I'm one here who loves Kill Em All but never had the original record from the day.

 

 

The truth is none of us original Thrashers had the record of Kill Em All. When Metallica became famous it was due to tape trading and everyone just had the tape copy of Kill Em All. I had the tape so I never purchased the record. None of us ever even saw the record. There was no place to buy it, also.

 

 

  I have the new 45s of Ride The Lighting too but have nothing for a base-line as I don't own the original LP of Ride The Lightning. I do want to note here that I did not hear any improvements when doing the comparison between the MOP 45s and the repressing MOP 33.3s.

 

Normally with vinyl dance 45s, there is an increase in bass depth, and resolution. 45s may have other SQ improvements but it's the bass which gets you to override mentally the extra surface noise trade-off from the faster spin. I would guess that these 08-09 re-releases are most-likely not as good as getting the originals. There is no real good reason to get the 45s. That's just my opinion from getting a couple vinyl Metallica records. The early Metallica records are hard to find and sometimes ruined due to parties so it is lucky we have this new vinyl to buy!


Edited by Redcarmoose - 3/23/13 at 6:20pm
post #8967 of 16581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post

I did wonder about that. It came out in regular 33.3 and 45 rpms at the time in 08-09. I really wish I would have purchased it. I'm one here who loves Kill Em All but never had the original record from the day.

 

 

The truth is none of us original Thrashers had the record of Kill Em All. When Metallica became famous it was due to tape trading and everyone just had the tape copy of Kill Em All. I had the tape so I never purchased the record. None of us ever even saw the record. There was no place to buy it, also.

 

 

  I have the new 45s of Ride The Lighting too but have nothing for a base-line as I don't own the original LP of Ride The Lightning. I do want to note here that I did not hear any improvements when doing the comparison between the MOP 45s and the repressing MOP 33.3s.

 

Normally with vinyl dance 45s, there is an increase in bass depth, and resolution. 45s may have other SQ improvements but it's the bass which gets you to override mentally the extra surface noise trade-off from the faster spin. I would guess that these 08-09 re-releases are most-likely not as good as getting the originals. There is no real good reason to get the 45s. That's just my opinion from getting a couple vinyl Metallica records. The early Metallica records are hard to find and sometimes ruined due to parties so it is lucky we have this new vinyl to buy!

IIRC Kill Em All had a good name behind the new remaster. Not sure if the others were done by the same person.

post #8968 of 16581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negakinu View Post

I just realised this is practically the only place on Head-Fi I still post in. 

It's because everyone here is so awesome.  

 

I still read posts in the amp forums (since I convinced myself that I need a sennhseiser hd 600 and the only way to make them better is to pick an amp that suits my tastes) but this is one of the few forums I enjoy reading. Also, I just got the Maudlin of the well re-release of my fruit psychobells...a seed combustible on vinyl. I'm not sure how I feel about this mix since I am in the process of change my system around (and trying to figure out a speaker setup).

 

For those of you who don't know here's a song from the album:

 

post #8969 of 16581
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

IIRC Kill Em All had a good name behind the new remaster. Not sure if the others were done by the same person.

Yes, there may be one. I have the remaster on Mp3 that I listen to. It's ok for me.

post #8970 of 16581
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

Hey man it's no BWP but I still loved it. Speaking of which...the Heritage vinyl is still readily available.

 

What exactly is it that makes Blackwater Park such a good album?

It is in fact the only Opeth album I own, and hardly having heard Opeth at all before getting it my initial impression was: meh. I listened through it a few times before forgetting about it, because it didn't intreague me in any way. Clearly I need to give this album another listen and see what all the fuss is about smile_phones.gif

 

What made Opeth catch my attention in the first place was The Lotus Eater. I was doing something else and had internet radio playing from my PC in the background. The station was automated, and had a somewhat limited reportouare. It would collect votes from listeners, and play the most requested songs. I never really took notice to the Lotus Eater whenever it came up, until a particular 40 second bit (starting at 05:40) caught my eye (or ear, as it were). The rest of the song left the same initial impression as BWP; meh.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post

Yes, there may be one. I have the remaster on Mp3 that I listen to. It's ok for me.

 

Mp3, huh? I generally don't like lossy and rip all my CDs in .wav, but I've recently taken a huge liking to WiMP.

If you are unfamiliar with it, it's a service similar to Spotify. The difference is that there is no free option (but obviously no commercials), the songs have a generally higher bit rate (they're actually working on upgrading their entire library to CD quality or better, available at a slightly increased fee), they normalize the volume of all songs to battle loudness (Spotify has the same option, but in WiMP it can't be turned off) and most importantly WiMP doesn't have the radio-esque bloated bass boost EQ Spotify uses. I find this particularly prominent (and annoying) during parts with vocal only, and especially regular speech.

I do think my ripped CDs provide better sound quality, but WiMP SQ is a lot better than I would have guessed. This may of course be partly because I became a bit of a bit rate-snobb after I got my (now retired) Denon AH-D2000s and the Colorfly Pocket Hi-Fi portable .wav and FLAC player. Everything had to be lossless, partly because it's better and mostly because I could rolleyes.gif


Edited by Pritolus - 3/24/13 at 5:41am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Lets Talk Metal