Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Lets Talk Metal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lets Talk Metal - Page 557

post #8341 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrocheesium View Post


I just checked Ebay and was surprised to see the prices of the Amon Amarth LPs in general. Most were under $25. I'll have to remember to get this one soon.

Be careful, that might be Back on Black reissue, not the original Metal Blade.
post #8342 of 16655

Discogs has 5 or so of the original pressing for reasonable prices. Just heads up to anyone interested. I might pick one up.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post


Be careful, that might be Back on Black reissue, not the original Metal Blade.
post #8343 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

Discogs has 5 or so of the original pressing for reasonable prices. Just heads up to anyone interested. I might pick one up.

Oh sweet.....definitely pick it up! :-)
post #8344 of 16655

My recent vinyl Metal buys have cleaned out my LP fund for the most part, but I'll try to squeeze this one in as I have no AA in my collection. 

 

But if I want to get my new TT and Phono stage I have to stop buying ******* LPs. lol

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post


Oh sweet.....definitely pick it up! :-)
post #8345 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post


Be careful, that might be Back on Black reissue, not the original Metal Blade.


You're right, I didn't look at the details. But you said you haven't heard it yet, right? So it's entirely possible that it sounds as good as the Metal Blade version?

post #8346 of 16655

Back on Black is usually good stuff, but honestly, you might as well go original pressing for damn near the same price.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrocheesium View Post


You're right, I didn't look at the details. But you said you haven't heard it yet, right? So it's entirely possible that it sounds as good as the Metal Blade version?

post #8347 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

Back on Black is usually good stuff, but honestly, you might as well go original pressing for damn near the same price.

 


That's true. For that price I would take a chance with it and report back, but my vinyl rig isn't anywhere near being up to audiophile standards.

post #8348 of 16655

 

I can't believe how good the guitar is in Ophiolatry's album Transmutation.

 

New Koldbrann out now. Amazing!


Edited by Redcarmoose - 1/26/13 at 11:54pm
post #8349 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

My recent vinyl Metal buys have cleaned out my LP fund for the most part, but I'll try to squeeze this one in as I have no AA in my collection. 

 

But if I want to get my new TT and Phono stage I have to stop buying ******* LPs. lol

 


If you're going to buy some AA on vinyl, this is the album to get. The Twilight Of The Thunder God vinyl release also sounds superb, but not quite as superb as With Oden. It's also not as good of an album, at least IMO. I haven't heard the Surtur Rising vinyl yet, I'll let you know on that one. Don't bother with Fate Of Norns and below on vinyl, the sound is really no better than the CDs.

post #8350 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrocheesium View Post


You're right, I didn't look at the details. But you said you haven't heard it yet, right? So it's entirely possible that it sounds as good as the Metal Blade version?

 

The big question is where'd they get their master. BOB has been known to press from redbook masters before. I would be quite unhappy if that's what they used. In general, at least 90% of the time the first pressing sounds best, unless somebody like MFSL, Analogue Productions, Music Matters, ORG etc does a high quality audiophile grade reissue from either original master tapes or high-res uncompressed masters with true experts at the controls. Koch and MOV royally blew it with the Opeth reissues for example. The early Opeth Displeased Records first pressings are pretty affordable, but of course the Music For Nations BWP isn't. It's the only way to do it right, though.

post #8351 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBSC View Post

The big question is where'd they get their master. BOB has been known to press from redbook masters before. I would be quite unhappy if that's what they used. In general, at least 90% of the time the first pressing sounds best, unless somebody like MFSL, Analogue Productions, Music Matters, ORG etc does a high quality audiophile grade reissue from either original master tapes or high-res uncompressed masters with true experts at the controls. Koch and MOV royally blew it with the Opeth reissues for example. The early Opeth Displeased Records first pressings are pretty affordable, but of course the Music For Nations BWP isn't. It's the only way to do it right, though.

Do you by chance have catalog numbers for those Opeth releases? They didn't do the whole catalog did they? Honestly the Opeth stuff is a bit elusive and I need it in my life. Even if BWL costs me $150.
post #8352 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post


Do you by chance have catalog numbers for those Opeth releases? They didn't do the whole catalog did they? Honestly the Opeth stuff is a bit elusive and I need it in my life. Even if BWL costs me $150.


Displeased did Orchid, Morningrise, and MAYH, which are D-00081/82/83, all double LPs, all Dutch pressings. Prices really aren't bad for them, $40-50. Candlelight repressed them all in 2005 as picture discs, don't bother with those. BOB also redid them all in '08, probably wouldn't bother with those either. The original '02 pressing of Still Life by Peaceville (DLPVILE78) has the same drop out problems as the original CD, and yet people still pay a ton of money for it. Peaceville repressed the album in 2010 as a  LE with a big booklet, and re-released it in 2012 without the booklet. As far as I know it's better than the first pressing, and the 2012 version is readily available and not expensive.

 

A mint MFN BWP will be probably around $120-150 or so. Ghost Reveries is about the same price. Watershed is expensive, and from what I remember sounds kinda weird as the band wanted an "old fashioned" sound to the vinyl edition. I don't know what that means. Heritage is widely available and not expensive.

 

 

   
post #8353 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBSC View Post


Displeased did Orchid, Morningrise, and MAYH, which are D-00081/82/83, all double LPs, all Dutch pressings. Prices really aren't bad for them, $40-50. Candlelight repressed them all in 2005 as picture discs, don't bother with those. BOB also redid them all in '08, probably wouldn't bother with those either. The original '02 pressing of Still Life by Peaceville (DLPVILE78) has the same drop out problems as the original CD, and yet people still pay a ton of money for it. Peaceville repressed the album in 2010 as a  LE with a big booklet, and re-released it in 2012 without the booklet. As far as I know it's better than the first pressing, and the 2012 version is readily available and not expensive.

A mint MFN BWP will be probably around $120-150 or so. Ghost Reveries is about the same price. Watershed is expensive, and from what I remember sounds kinda weird as the band wanted an "old fashioned" sound to the vinyl edition. I don't know what that means. Heritage is widely available and not expensive.

   

Thanks for that, really. I'm mainly wanting a mint BWP and Watershed. Sounds like Watershed will be the kicker. I'll scrounge up some Discovs stuff and see what I find price wise. Thanks.
post #8354 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBSC View Post

 

A mint MFN BWP will be probably around $120-150 or so. Ghost Reveries is about the same price. Watershed is expensive, and from what I remember sounds kinda weird as the band wanted an "old fashioned" sound to the vinyl edition. I don't know what that means. Heritage is widely available and not expensive.

 

 

   


I have the Watershed LP rip, it sounds great. I have no idea what they meant by old fashioned, but the mix doesn't sound very different or weird in any way.

 

 

post #8355 of 16655
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrocheesium View Post


I have the Watershed LP rip, it sounds great. I have no idea what they meant by old fashioned, but the mix doesn't sound very different or weird in any way.

 

 

Gwynbleidd is awesome. Thank you for the recommendation. Cheers!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Lets Talk Metal