Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Lets Talk Metal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lets Talk Metal - Page 1213

post #18181 of 18193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyklonius View Post
 

I second that. Have you heard the Alpha Mother*****ers tribute album? Therapy?'s version of Denim Demon as well as Zeke's Midnight NAMBLA are utterly brilliant.

 

I see you have found our little metal trove. ^_^

 

I edited a reply to you in another thread about how I'm pretty sure you like Zyklon. lol. I must also wonder if your user name is a clever reference to Elfen Lied.

post #18182 of 18193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Alchemist View Post
 

 

I see you have found our little metal trove. ^_^

 

I edited a reply to you in another thread about how I'm pretty sure you like Zyklon. lol. I must also wonder if your user name is a clever reference to Elfen Lied.

 

Yup, a long-time lurker here.

Hah, the story behing my user name is way more kvlt than Zyklon. One of the (imaginary) bandmembers of an uber-kvlt conceptual black metal band my friends 'created' in early 1990s in my native Finland. Imaginary in the sense that the band and the concept behind it was balls-to-the-wall Caligula crazy and defied all laws of logic and decency. If I mentioned the name of the band, I am pretty sure someone here will step forth and claim to have once been a member who somehow evaded sudden death due to bizarre unnatural reasons. Then again, I would not rule out resurrection/reanimation...

Speaking of lurkers and doom metal recommendations above: I urge everyone to listen to Forn's colossal The Departure of Consciousness. The one-two punch of Emergence and Dweller on the Threshold in particular will shatter ribcages: https://forn.bandcamp.com/

post #18183 of 18193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyklonius View Post
 

Yup, a long-time lurker here.

Hah, the story behing my user name is way more kvlt than Zyklon. One of the (imaginary) bandmembers of an uber-kvlt conceptual black metal band my friends 'created' in early 1990s in my native Finland. Imaginary in the sense that the band and the concept behind it was balls-to-the-wall Caligula crazy and defied all laws of logic and decency. If I mentioned the name of the band, I am pretty sure someone here will step forth and claim to have once been a member who somehow evaded sudden death due to bizarre unnatural reasons. Then again, I would not rule out resurrection/reanimation...

 

 

I actually used to run an underground distro that was going to be a record label, but I lost thousands in a fiasco, so it didn't work out. I still want to have a digital music store (specializing in unreleased soundtracks from movies, television series, video games, etc. but also selling normal albums) someday.

post #18184 of 18193

Anyone like prog/melodic metal I highly recommend Devin Townsend Project Z2. Sounds wonderful.

post #18185 of 18193
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavinck View Post
 

Anyone like prog/melodic metal I highly recommend Devin Townsend Project Z2. Sounds wonderful.

Welcome, everyone on this thread likes DT :)

post #18186 of 18193
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathzombie View Post
 

Welcome, everyone on this thread likes DT :)

Oh, lol. Good to know:beerchug:

post #18187 of 18193
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavinck View Post

Oh, lol. Good to know:beerchug:

 

ehehe, and I'm assuming you've heard Strapping Young Lad as well.

post #18188 of 18193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Alchemist View Post
 

 

ehehe, and I'm assuming you've heard Strapping Young Lad as well.

Not yet....lol

post #18189 of 18193
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanseAmador View Post

If it sounds like YOB I'll check them out undoubtedly.

Neurosis is actually kind of a different animal. One of the guys in neurosis, Scott Kelly shares vocals on a couple of the tracks on Clearing the Path to Ascend, and Neuosis own the label that YOB are currently with. I believe they switched labels recently. Scott Kelly has contributed vocals to most of YOBs albums on at least one track per album.

But, Neurosis are different-not strictly doom. If your new to metal, Neurosis are a seminal band for what is typically referred to as post metal (Isis is another huge  name in the genre).  Post metal finds its way into all kinds of stuff including a lot of US black metal. There is a connection between Doom and a lot of post metal in that they can have a similar atmospheric quality. But a lot of post metal is also aligned with hardcore vocals (thinking of bands like Cult of Luna-a personal favorite and Isis...many others).

Blah, blah, blah-suffice to say Neurosis are one of those older bands that have been an influence on countless groups and they were in fact heavily influenced by drone gods-Swans....drone-post rock/metal-doom-black metal influences-death metal-the lines all get kind of blurred to say the least very_evil_smiley.gif

If you are new to the scene and like YOB you definitely need to spend some time with Electric Wizard and doom/cosmic space titans Ufomammut from Italy. Ufomammut had a double 2012 release called Oro which I absolutely love. This type of sound brings in a sludgier, druggier, psychedelic component.




I don't smoke dope anymore, but this music makes me feel like I do!

I love Electric Wizard, planned to see them in Boston this month, I can't frown.gif

I'll check Neurosis out! Seems like a thrill.
post #18190 of 18193
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanseAmador View Post


I love Electric Wizard, planned to see them in Boston this month, I can't frown.gif

I'll check Neurosis out! Seems like a thrill.


Through Silver and Blood, Enemy of the Sun (older) and Given to the Rising (more recent) are, too me their most "metal" albums. Times of Grace is also one of their best that combines eras. They've gone a bit singer folk/doom songwritterish lately.

post #18191 of 18193
post #18192 of 18193
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanseAmador View Post


I love Electric Wizard, planned to see them in Boston this month, I can't frown.gif

I'll check Neurosis out! Seems like a thrill.

They are playing San Francisco, but I'm not paying $250 to go to a sh1tty bar... Fvcking scalpers

post #18193 of 18193

Full stream of the new Sulphur Aeon.
Even better than their first one, if you ask me!

http://www.nocleansinging.com/2015/04/01/an-ncs-premiere-sulphur-aeon-gateway-to-the-antisphere/

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Lets Talk Metal