Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Lets Talk Metal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lets Talk Metal - Page 1005

post #15061 of 16876
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferday View Post
 

 

interesting....you are certainly a metal encyclopedia Trog!   I had to go back to the Thorns record, otherwise i never would've made the comparison, i haven't listened to it in a while!  I suspect Thorns will be hard to find but anyone who does should really pick it up, it's an honest masterpiece and very experimental, especially considering the time frame (1st wave).  

 

Redcar, I still think that Atilla's unhinged performance on Esoteric Warfare is quite possibly the greatest BM vocal show ever done.  This has been a landmark year in metal IMO


Yeah-it's really good. Atilla is off the hook. The continuity between the last two albums -even though there are clear differences-is pretty stunning to me. Teloch must have really studied the playing and then used it and made it his own. It doesn't feel like mimicry. That's real artistry in my book.

 

Mortuus from Marduk also gets big props from me. Sometimes almost comical, but as an old actor (I pursued an acting career many moons ago) when he nails it, I have to smile.

 

Particularly his work on the last Funderal Mist album is a favorite for me-the guy most have steel plated vocal chords.

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I don't findAtilla and Mortuus "scary". Far from it. I find them skillful at a craft. They're actors. These guys are doing pure theater of the absurd conjuring something. What, I'm not sure.

 

From my theater days, I give thim both credit for "committing to their artistic choices". Lot of intense performers in the world who channel their own anger, hostility, etc.

 

Deniro and Pacino couldn't do any better couldn't' do. Just playing a role.

Quote:
You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talking... you talking to me? Well I'm the only one here

 

 

 

All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts.....

 

Of all the metal genres-I've always found Black Metal with its epic touches to be the most "Shakespearean".


Edited by markm1 - 7/2/14 at 9:27am
post #15062 of 16876
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferday View Post
 

 

Ya i streamed that one track, I can't say i thought it was great.  There's better dark ambient out there...but it is an interesting direction and considering the absolute flood of "post BM" coming out right now, I think it's a fair switch up to make to try and distance themselves from the scene.  

I really hope that this album is not hust a mere product of them wanting to renounce themselves from the growing sub-genre.
That would be pretty silly IMO.

post #15063 of 16876

jesus ****bombs I are amazing.also played original version of rust in peace today

post #15064 of 16876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post

If you don't have Welcome To The Morbid Reich it's a great complement to Vaders 2014 release.

Yes, I always thought of Vader as being this band that is almost the reaction to Slayer. Like a group of Polish kids sat around listening to Slayer then thought that this is how we make extreme metal. They just keep doing what they do. It is very easy to listen to, where Esoteric Warfare is going to be this non access listen till stuff starts to click mentally. Mayhem has always been much more work to listen to in my experience. Mayhem maybe tries to do it. The sound of "Mayhem", changing tempo, chord progressions never used before, chords never used before. They are experimental, and they seem like they don't care to be popular, only real!


$3.00 new CD on Amazon. No brainer :)

 

Thanks for the rec

post #15065 of 16876
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitsimple View Post
 

jesus ****bombs I are amazing.also played original version of rust in peace today


I love that album.

post #15066 of 16876
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferday View Post

interesting....you are certainly a metal encyclopedia Trog!   I had to go back to the Thorns record, otherwise i never would've made the comparison, i haven't listened to it in a while!  I suspect Thorns will be hard to find but anyone who does should really pick it up, it's an honest masterpiece and very experimental, especially considering the time frame (1st wave).  

Redcar, I still think that Atilla's unhinged performance on Esoteric Warfare is quite possibly the greatest BM vocal show ever done.  This has been a landmark year in metal IMO


Yes, and we started out same as always thinking it would be slow and uneventful. Then we start to get these amazing releases. It's a great year. I need to start drinking!


He is maybe like a movie monster with shreaks and groans, breathing and spirting like a madman!
Edited by Redcarmoose - 7/2/14 at 5:16pm
post #15067 of 16876

Some good stuff on here lately. My current playlist choices:

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

Blut Aus Nord - Debemur Mortis MCD 3 song EP

 

File source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mayhemesotericwarfare2014.jpg

 

Of course the new one from Mayhem. Hasn't quite clicked yet, but maybe a few more spins.

 

 

Marduk - Serpent Sermon. Been around for awhile, but this is a pretty decent release.

 

And an oldie but a goodie,

File source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Judas_Priest_British_Steel.jpg

 

The reissue with the live tracks is pretty great. I've never really been a big Priest fan, especially when it comes to the older stuff but this is growing on me. I still like the sound from Painkiller to Angel of Retribution best. Hopefully the new one will be heavy-er,

post #15068 of 16876
Suicide Silence finally made a video with stuff as dangerous as the Riverside 91 freeway close to their house.
h:pttp://www.metalstorm.net/events/news_comments.php?news_id=23863
post #15069 of 16876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post

Suicide Silence finally made a video with stuff as dangerous as the Riverside 91 freeway close to their house.
h:pttp://www.metalstorm.net/events/news_comments.php?news_id=23863

This is a joke right!!!. I mean, I didn't get the joke though :o 

 

The guitarist, seems pretty scared.

post #15070 of 16876

I almost want to call Mayhem "progressive". They don't sound like anyone else and no album is the same. The only band I could say was anything close would be Inquisition (a blend of Mayhem and Immortal)

post #15071 of 16876
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKENEDPLAGUE View Post
 

I almost want to call Mayhem "progressive". They don't sound like anyone else and no album is the same. The only band I could say was anything close would be Inquisition (a blend of Mayhem and Immortal)


Yeah-I'm listening again today closer. This album requires some extra time to peel back the layers. Progressive or experimental. Unhinged. I'm finding it really engaging, tho. Atilla is pretty tour de force. Some experimental metal is kind of once in a blue moon. This one is going to have more repeat plays for me.

post #15072 of 16876

Yeah there was a time when I couldn't stand Atilla, but that time has long since passed. His vocal type is sinister and brooding rather than the standard shriek of most other BM outfitfits

post #15073 of 16876
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathzombie View Post

This is a joke right!!!. I mean, I didn't get the joke though redface.gif  





The guitarist, seems pretty scared.



Well MItch Lucker. their singer died when he left the house drunk on his motorcycle. It was a stupid joke but it seems that the message I get from the vid is that the band now is traumatized and afraid of everything?

Mitch was not that hurt but it was almost like a freak accident that he died. The band is from Riverside and the freeway that goes passed their house is a notoriously scary freeway, maybe the most dangerous is Southern California. You see accidents on it almost everyday, cars on fire flipped over cars all the time. They look really scarred that is all the joke really meant? Sorry?
Edited by Redcarmoose - 7/3/14 at 4:05pm
post #15074 of 16876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post


Well MItch Lucker. their singer died when he left the house drunk on his motorcycle. It was a stupid joke but it seems that the message I get from the vid is that the band now is traumatized and afraid of everything?

Mitch was not that hurt but the it was almost like a freak accident that he died. The band is from Riverside and the freeway that goes passed their house is a notoriously scary freeway, maybe the most dangerous is Southern California. You see accidents on it almost everyday, cars on fire flipped over cars all the time. They look really scarred that is all the joke really meant? Sorry?

Ohh!!! and I was searching for some meaning within the music video. I didn't even know the poor guy was dead

post #15075 of 16876
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathzombie View Post

Ohh!!! and I was searching for some meaning within the music video. I didn't even know the poor guy was dead


Ya, just a strange accident where he hurt his arm, then this infection killed him in a day or two. So not something that you normally hear about in life. The 91 freeway has accidents literally every morning and night and is jammed up twice a day from these accidents. I used to have a face like that driving it. But I would see accidents almost on it every-time I drove it.mad.gif

Mitch Lucker was living in Huntington Beach at the time of his accident and was near home when he got hurt.

The vocal is with their new singer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Lets Talk Metal