or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Lets Talk Metal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lets Talk Metal - Page 997

post #14941 of 25353

Amazing stuff! :L3000:

 

The music is pretty great but......
 

Quote:
 

foobar2000 1.2.9 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2014-06-25 02:29:21

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Inanimate Existence / A Never Ending Cycle of Atonement
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR6        0.00 dB    -8.51 dB      1:00 01-Om Mani Padme Hum
DR3        0.00 dB    -3.41 dB      5:22 02-Omen
DR3        0.00 dB    -3.39 dB      6:34 03-Bioluminescent Photophores
DR3        0.00 dB    -3.56 dB      4:44 04-The Rune of Desturction
DR3        0.00 dB    -3.85 dB      6:30 05-The Catacomb of Mirriors
DR3        0.00 dB    -3.66 dB      6:53 06-Staring Thrrough Fire
DR3        0.00 dB    -4.26 dB      9:21 07-Out of Body Experience
DR3        0.00 dB    -4.52 dB      3:50 08-Dueling Shadows
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of tracks:  8
Official DR value: DR3

Samplerate:        44100 Hz
Channels:          2
Bitrate:           320 kbps
Codec:             MP3
================================================================================

 


I feel like crying :(


Edited by Tom Yum Goong - 6/24/14 at 5:31pm
post #14942 of 25353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Yum Goong View Post

Amazing stuff! L3000.gif


 


The music is pretty great but......

 


I feel like crying frown.gif

I'm sure it sounds GREEEEAAAATTTT!
post #14943 of 25353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Yum Goong View Post
 

Amazing stuff! :L3000:

 

The music is pretty great but......
 

Quote:
 

foobar2000 1.2.9 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2014-06-25 02:29:21

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Inanimate Existence / A Never Ending Cycle of Atonement
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR6        0.00 dB    -8.51 dB      1:00 01-Om Mani Padme Hum
DR3        0.00 dB    -3.41 dB      5:22 02-Omen
DR3        0.00 dB    -3.39 dB      6:34 03-Bioluminescent Photophores
DR3        0.00 dB    -3.56 dB      4:44 04-The Rune of Desturction
DR3        0.00 dB    -3.85 dB      6:30 05-The Catacomb of Mirriors
DR3        0.00 dB    -3.66 dB      6:53 06-Staring Thrrough Fire
DR3        0.00 dB    -4.26 dB      9:21 07-Out of Body Experience
DR3        0.00 dB    -4.52 dB      3:50 08-Dueling Shadows
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of tracks:  8
Official DR value: DR3

Samplerate:        44100 Hz
Channels:          2
Bitrate:           320 kbps
Codec:             MP3
================================================================================

 


I feel like crying :(

I hadn't heard of those guys, and they're pretty great. Thanks!

post #14944 of 25353
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKENEDPLAGUE View Post


I got a LOT of hate for comparing the post-death metal Opeth to King Crimson, but it really isn't that hard to see. KC's Red and Opeth's Heritage are very similar



Do you realize that if they were exactly like Opeth that Opeth would go into obscurity then come out with an album 7 years later 2019 and it would have a completely different sound and sound like a new band. Discipline came out 7 years after Red. I would actually love that. Instead we're going to get maybe more crap.


Still I truly have a smig of hope for the new record as I like the song they just put out. Still if they did follow King Crimson I would hope they don't use the Gamelan influence. I have those orchestras playing outside my window all the time as it is the local music of Bali Island. It was never written down until a German named Walter Spies came to the Island of Java in 1923 and figured out a written notation for it. And that kind of introduction is what is needed to wake Opeth up( Maybe not Gamelan but some other hard to play different musical scale music from another world). They need to replace all members and think outside the box. Lucky I still have real albums like Orchid to remember their greatness by.

Speaking of Crimsons Gamelan influence. Very few bands attempt it as it not in the Western scale. Really really hard for Westerners to figure out. The giant metal bars will resonate together at times to produce cords. The music was moved over to Bali Island from Java in 1343. Then hidden from the west for all these years.


Imagine trying to mix regular guitar and bass with it in a different tuning. If you study classical music writers like Claude Debussy shocked the world with the influence of Gamelan music. So Crimson maybe took note of the reaction and moved the influence into their music and again shocked the world with the tone scale. If you have never heard it it is strange.


Still maybe perfect to fit in with Frips cycle playing of guitar. When Discipline came out it was a huge hit.
Edited by Redcarmoose - 6/24/14 at 7:49pm
post #14945 of 25353

post #14946 of 25353

 

 

 


Edited by Redcarmoose - 6/24/14 at 7:47pm
post #14947 of 25353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post


Gamelan influence

 

 

 

Some people didn't care for Lizard but I thought it was great. Also, Greg Lake should have stayed as the vocalist for King Crimson even if it was Rob Fripp's baby

post #14948 of 25353
Quote:

The 3rd Amogh Symphony has been mastered. And it is safe to say that it is FINISHED. I have listened to it many times on multiple systems and it sounds insane. 
All of you who were afraid of it being brickwalled--- there is no need to worry. We have maximum dynamic range at a level that is good enough to crank your system and make it loud and clear. 
I have never been more excited (or excited at all) about anything I have ever done with my drums and mastering.

Sincerely, Jim

post #14949 of 25353
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKENEDPLAGUE View Post





Some people didn't care for Lizard but I thought it was great. Also, Greg Lake should have stayed as the vocalist for King Crimson even if it was Rob Fripp's baby


Here is a super long detailed article of the Discipline style era for the band. Probably not interesting for most unless your into the record first.

http://www.progressiveears.com/frippbook/ch09.htm


Well I have a couple King Crimson records but never heard Lizard. I just played it and was amazed at the jazz free form style. You can hear a flute and a melotron but no Gamelan at all. In fact after some research people are saying that it is just the interlocking drum style in Discipline and that they did use exotic instruments but no Gamelan. Which after all makes sense as the instruments are big and hard to transport to a city studio. I was wrong.


Article:

The Rock Gamelan
King Crimson IV's most distinctive contribution to the rock vocabulary was an outgrowth of Fripp's experiments in fast staccato picking patterns with the League of Gentlemen. He continued to develop this technique with the new King Crimson, and among the most impressive passages in their music are those where two, three, or all four musicians are playing rapid-fire ostinati that interlock and counterpoint each other in a glittering pointillistic texture reminiscent of the gamelan orchestras of Indonesia. Such intricate textures can be heard on "Elephant Talk," "Frame by Frame," "Discipline," "Neal and Jack and Me," "Waiting Man," and "Three of a Perfect Pair." Following the demise of King Crimson IV, the gamelan concept would live on in the precisely controlled communal polyphonic pointillism of the League of Crafty Guitarists. For Fripp, who in his own words felt he had already "done the great-soloist thing to death," the gamelan concept reflected a musical interest in time and rhythm, and, as he put it, "stepping back into the group structure and blending into the communal dynamic." For Fripp to play his rhythm-lead-point style was also a kind of sacrifice; he was laying out the carpet, as it were, for the other musicians to stand on - creating a space in which the music could happen.



The above is interesting as it shows how Fripp took the lead to set up the new sound as the leader and incorporated Adrian Belew from the Zappa camp. You can hear a sonic self sacrifice as Fripp as leader steps back and paves the road for all the other musicians to drive on. He is less in the limelight but created a new style of music single handedly.

Once more the genius of Fripp rears it's bright head from the shadows.
Edited by Redcarmoose - 6/24/14 at 10:00pm
post #14950 of 25353

 

 

If anyone here has not heard Fripp and Eno on this collaboration, you need to find the right time and mood to literately jump into this album. I have held the gatefold record of this in my hands. I only have the LP single non-gatefold version now. 

post #14951 of 25353
It makes me pretty sad that the new Allegaeon isn't on bandcamp :/ I've been buying all my metal on there since it doesn't require me to wait ridiculous amounts of time for things to ship to me via the apo to Korea...
post #14952 of 25353
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva View Post

It makes me pretty sad that the new Allegaeon isn't on bandcamp :/ I've been buying all my metal on there since it doesn't require me to wait ridiculous amounts of time for things to ship to me via the apo to Korea...

I was in South Korea 2002-2005. Amazon shipping wasn't too bad. NAVCOMMDET Chinhae!!!

post #14953 of 25353
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipervick View Post

I was in South Korea 2002-2005. Amazon shipping wasn't too bad. NAVCOMMDET Chinhae!!!

Haha, I don't know why, but I never think of amazon when I'm buying music...I always just buy direct from bands...thanks for the tip :P
post #14954 of 25353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post
 

 

 

If anyone here has not heard Fripp and Eno on this collaboration, you need to find the right time and mood to literately jump into this album. I have held the gatefold record of this in my hands. I only have the LP single non-gatefold version now. 

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/brian_eno/ambient_1__music_for_airports/

i have a few brian eno cds-this is cool

post #14955 of 25353
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitsimple View Post

i have a few brian eno cds-this is cool

It's a landmark! It singlehandedly turned ambient into a real genre, and is still amazing to this day
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Lets Talk Metal