Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Lets Talk Metal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lets Talk Metal - Page 907

post #13591 of 15421



 



 



This reminds me when I was totally into guitar gods, Nevermore too.



 



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevermore







Edited by Redcarmoose - 3/5/14 at 8:28am
post #13592 of 15421
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva View Post
 

 

I went and downloaded it from Bandcamp as soon as i heard that one song

I almost did that too on top but then realised they offer the download code with the disc. Phew! (3$ is by no means too much for 3 .flacs LOL)

post #13593 of 15421

 

:cool:


Edited by keepitsimple - 3/5/14 at 7:38am
post #13594 of 15421
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitsimple View Post
 

 

:cool:

Windir!



 

post #13595 of 15421

Epic DTP medley!

post #13596 of 15421

Fury.

 

post #13597 of 15421
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrocheesium View Post
 

Who has some drone for me? I started getting into it recently and I know a lot of you metalheads like it for some reason.

 

I've been listening to Seirom:

http://gnawtheirtongues.bandcamp.com/album/seiromistkrieg-2011-free

 

I think it took me about 20 minutes to recover from hearing that first track.

 

 

Also - who's heard the new Nadja album?

 

 

 

hey thanks man for that link!  i really enjoyed that album (despite the fact there's almost no part that isn't clipped in the whole thing LOL).  his work as Gnaw their Tongues is also great but much different, more harsh dissonant noise than drone.  the black metal sections were a cool breakup to the drone sections. 

 

I just adore drone music...although it's a very small niche it's also a very broad category.  there is very little to be found in the "Tr00" drone, i.e. the incomparable gold standard of Sunn 0))) on their first couple albums.  

 

Then you have noise drone/black noise, drone/doom (the most common drone music), post-drone, and you could venture all the way in to ambient territory.  One of my favorite new subgenres i would call ritual drone, like Preterite or Menace Ruine.

 

i feel i have a good drone collection considering it's hard to come by...but i'm always wanting more.  i can list a bunch if you are looking...and if anyone has any more post it up!  I'd be surprised but delighted if i didn't already have it...it really is one of my favourite genres of music and nothing beats falling asleep to some deadly menacing drone/ultra slow doom/dark ambient noise.


Edited by ferday - 3/5/14 at 11:15pm
post #13598 of 15421
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferday View Post
 

--  i can list a bunch if you are looking...and if anyone has any more post it up!  I'd be surprised but delighted if i didn't already have it...it really is one of my favourite genres of music and nothing beats falling asleep to some deadly menacing drone/ultra slow doom/dark ambient noise.

Please do!

post #13599 of 15421
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferday View Post
 

 

i feel i have a good drone collection considering it's hard to come by...but i'm always wanting more.  i can list a bunch if you are looking...and if anyone has any more post it up!  I'd be surprised but delighted if i didn't already have it...it really is one of my favourite genres of music and nothing beats falling asleep to some deadly menacing drone/ultra slow doom/dark ambient noise.


Yeah, that would be great! This is the only other one in my library:

 

http://seahive.bandcamp.com/album/lunar-grain

post #13600 of 15421
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferday View Post
 

 

hey thanks man for that link!  i really enjoyed that album (despite the fact there's almost no part that isn't clipped in the whole thing LOL).  his work as Gnaw their Tongues is also great but much different, more harsh dissonant noise than drone.  the black metal sections were a cool breakup to the drone sections. 

 

I just adore drone music...although it's a very small niche it's also a very broad category.  there is very little to be found in the "Tr00" drone, i.e. the incomparable gold standard of Sunn 0))) on their first couple albums.  

 

Then you have noise drone/black noise, drone/doom (the most common drone music), post-drone, and you could venture all the way in to ambient territory.  One of my favorite new subgenres i would call ritual drone, like Preterite or Menace Ruine.

 

i feel i have a good drone collection considering it's hard to come by...but i'm always wanting more.  i can list a bunch if you are looking...and if anyone has any more post it up!  I'd be surprised but delighted if i didn't already have it...it really is one of my favourite genres of music and nothing beats falling asleep to some deadly menacing drone/ultra slow doom/dark ambient noise.

 

http://www.electrocd.com/en/cat/asp_0966/critiques/

 

 

My favorite from the mid-90s which is not metal but Electronic and Music Concrete.

 

 

http://www.amazon.com/Storm-Drones-Various-Artists/dp/B000001PAQ

 

 

Speaking of electronic...

 

 

 

http://www.biopsyhoz.com/music.html     There CDs are freeeeeeeeeeee!


Edited by Redcarmoose - 3/6/14 at 6:48am
post #13601 of 15421

Well...in the spirit of Redcarmoose...

 

Drone (as metal) started with the minimalist composers La monte Young, John Cale, Steve Reich, Terry Riley, etc.  This caught on better with the new electronic synth sounds in the 70's, like Jean Michael Jarre, David Tudor, Klaus Schulze, Nurse with Wound, etc. The late 70's brought us Black Sabbath and doom metal, as well as no-wave (suicide, Lydia Lunch, etc.) followed with proto-industrial-noise (swans, skinny puppy, in slaughter natives etc.).  Earth really "invented" modern metal drone in the early 90's (Special Low Frequency Version, Pentastar, and my favourite A Bureaucratic Desire for Revenge w/ Kurt Cobain) along with Melvins, who were producing essentially slowed down grunge (Gluey Porch Treatments, Stoner Witch). Stephan O'Malley followed Earth with Burning Witch, and cranked up the sinister.  Meanwhile, the post-rock movement is starting, and Merzbow from Japan is making amazing electronic noise/drone, which birthed us Boris and Corrupted, while Australia give us Oren Ambarchi.  O'malley forms Sunn 0))) with Greg Anderson which with the Grimmrobe Demos 1999 teaches the world what metal drone is and always will be wink.gif  O'malley and Anderson also form Gravetemple and Burial Chamber Trio, with Oren Ambarchi.  Now follows the drone/doom movement and of course the increasing influence of post-rock

 

Must have classical drone - Inside the Dream Syndicate, (Cale/Young/Conrad), Steve Reich (Music for 18 Musicians), Terry Riley (In C), Klaus Schulze (Irrlicht)

 

"Hard Drone" - Sunn 0))), Corrupted, Boris, Earth, Gravetemple, Burial Chamber Trio, Nadja, Uncertainty Principle, Tenhornedbeast, Hjarnidaudi, Eagle Twin, Black Boned Angel, Elu of the Nine

 

Noise Drone/Black Noise - Gnaw Their Tongues, Blue Sabbath Black Cheer, Goatvargr, Goatsnake, Merzbow, Nordvargr, Sutekh Hexen, Aghast

 

Drone/Doom - Moss, Burning Witch, Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine, Growing, Yob, Torture Wheel, Funeral, Grief, Loss, Khanate, Ascend, Echoes of Yul, Esoteric, Jesu, Unearthly Trance

 

Ritual Drone - Menace Ruine, Preterite, Om, Dead Raven Choir

 

Well there's a highly incomplete history and not even close to complete listing of drone stuff (this is all off the top of my head, I have more and there is much more out there).  I'm not going to get in to the electronic side or the post-rock side, there's a ton of drone stuff there and Dark Ambient (often highly drone oriented) is a large subgenre on it's own, and of course musique concrete which is often drone/field recording.  Bandcamp is likely to provide me with more of my favorite stuff, but i don't spend a bunch of time surfing the bandcamp...


Edited by ferday - 3/6/14 at 9:42am
post #13602 of 15421

Don't forget funeral doom and funeral drone.

 

 


 

post #13603 of 15421
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKENEDPLAGUE View Post
 

Don't forget funeral doom and funeral drone.

 

 


 

 

 

i would never forget funeral (i listed a few...)

 

thanks for this link, i hadn't heard of them before!  enjoy the acoustic elements


Edited by ferday - 3/6/14 at 11:37am
post #13604 of 15421

I had a game of table tennis or 5 tonight and drove back with this on.very hypnotic-ive only heard this 1 album

post #13605 of 15421

just came across nest

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Lets Talk Metal