or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Lets Talk Metal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lets Talk Metal - Page 822

post #12316 of 25544
Quote:
Originally Posted by campj View Post

I read AMG and Metalbandcamp, but I'll look at MetalSucks for a laugh from time to time. Besides a laugh, I don't like it much. I looked at the MS year lists and found some stuff I didn't know about that looks worth checking out, though. Sacriphyx – The Western Front for instance... Kim makes it sound worth while.

I take it back, Sacriphyx – The Western Front isn't worth while. I ignored Antigama for a long time though, and the MS list led me to check them out. That is some fresh sounding grind.

post #12317 of 25544
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post
 


Yeah-well like I said, I just kind of enjoy reading the end of year lists..the rest is just kind of gossip stuff.


Like People Magazine for metal? :biggrin:

post #12318 of 25544
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post
 

 

You're perfectly welcome to come over and hear it for yourself.

 

You may think Metal is niche and vinyl even more so, but Metal has been one of the few genres that kept making vinyl throughout the 'dead' years. They were very small pressings, and they're now stupid overpriced. But the pedigree is there.

--

As for you suggestion...I had a 6,000 USD digital source in my house for about a month (Cantata Music Center). It sat next to a record player I paid under 2k for (both running through a Liquid Lightning and 009s). I had quite a few metal CDs next to their vinyl counterparts. These included Gojira's L'Enfant Sauvage, Enslaved's RIITIIR, and Katatonia's Dead End Kings (all of which I think Metal-Fi has written about as well).

 

I picked the LP (quite easily) every time. This was when I was skeptical and had just dipped my toes in on a good deal I found locally. I was ready to BUY this digital source I had on loan...and it's still the best I've heard to date.

 

I'd suggest investing in a good redbook CD player and a stellar vinyl rig if you're a metal head. That's what I've done. Won't be going back to just CDs anytime soon.


LOL! Next time I'm in ATX I'm lookin you up toaster!

So what are u using for a CD player now? Nothing is listed in your profile. If I remember correctly my L'Enfant Sauvage CD was pretty lame on SQ. I'd like to hear some Gojira on vinyl....maybe I'll try some out. I've surely been disappointed A LOT however....

post #12319 of 25544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido2 View Post


LOL! Next time I'm in ATX I'm lookin you up toaster!
So what are u using for a CD player now? Nothing is listed in your profile. If I remember correctly my L'Enfant Sauvage CD was pretty lame on SQ. I'd like to hear some Gojira on vinyl....maybe I'll try some out. I've surely been disappointed A LOT however....

I'm using a late 80s Sony beater I bought at a Goodwill for $12 (can't remember the model # right now). Sounds great. I plan to invest in a universal player (probably Oppo) after I get more live blurays. Audio spending has taken a back burner to tattoo coverage the past 7 months or so.

I've owned a few CDPs around 2k but reinvested that money in my vinyl rig. Picked up the Sony when I started buying CDs again.

Gojira's probably my favorite band ever (at least favorite still makin' music) so it's important i have the best from them. Have L'Enfant Sauvage from last year and the recent repressings of Way of All Flesh & From Mars to Sirius, too. Though I haven't compared the repressings to the CDs yet.
Edited by MorbidToaster - 12/4/13 at 2:20pm
post #12320 of 25544
Quote:
Originally Posted by campj View Post

I ignored Antigama for a long time though, and the MS list led me to check them out. That is some fresh sounding grind.

 

Good, good. Really liked Meteor. Hopefully they're gonna play nearby, so I could see them live as well.

post #12321 of 25544

Ha, you're in Poland! Funny coincidence, right?

post #12322 of 25544

So, one of the genres I enjoy that I don't hear that much about is what I'll call blackened sludge.

 

Revisiting a couple ablums I like.Here's two of my recent favorites for good and better.

 

Good:

Wolvhammer-Obsidian Planes

 

from 2011-actually came across this from one of the Metalsucks list...like the mixture of sludge, BM and hardore/curst punk. It wasn't love at first listen-took me a few spins. I really like it now...just like this kind of metal.

41VZcPVtRtL.jpg

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qXlD9muJuqY#t=5

 

 

Better: Lord Mantis Pervetor.

 

I love this 2012 release-Blackened sludge doesn't quite nail it. Great songwriting, nasty as hell, a little proggy even. Kind of the nasty elements of BM with other bands I like-Neuoris, Converge.

 

912RiNrnziL._SL1200_.jpg

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OX73dGH08dU

 

Few releases in the BM/sludge realm impress me as much as this. More please!

post #12323 of 25544

Deary me.....
:D

Metal music video of the year:



So Japanese Ninja metal is a thing....nice!
This video is even more cheesy that your average Power Metal video.
Oh and is it just or does the drummer look like twice as old as the other members?

Anyway, really mediocre Power Metal song with the most beautiful Metal music video of 2013.

post #12324 of 25544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Yum Goong View Post
 

Deary me.....
:D

Metal music video of the year:



So Japanese Ninja metal is a thing....nice!
This video is even more cheesy that your average Power Metal video.
Oh and is it just or does the drummer look like twice as old as the other members?

Anyway, really mediocre Power Metal song with the most beautiful Metal music video of 2013.


I can't believe how bad that was. :beyersmile:  Not gonna lie though, I liked the guitar solo.

post #12325 of 25544
BLOOD IS DOING LEPROUS' BILATERAL NEXT YEAR.

[excessive heavy breathing]
post #12326 of 25544
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

BLOOD IS DOING LEPROUS' BILATERAL NEXT YEAR.

[excessive heavy breathing]


As much as I love that album, the CD already sounds great so it's not that big a of deal... I probably won't be able to resist it anyway.

post #12327 of 25544
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post

So, one of the genres I enjoy that I don't hear that much about is what I'll call blackened sludge.

Revisiting a couple ablums I like.Here's two of my recent favorites for good and better.

Good:
Wolvhammer-Obsidian Planes

from 2011-actually came across this from one of the Metalsucks list...like the mixture of sludge, BM and hardore/curst punk. It wasn't love at first listen-took me a few spins. I really like it now...just like this kind of metal.
41VZcPVtRtL.jpg


http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qXlD9muJuqY#t=5


Better: Lord Mantis Pervetor.

I love this 2012 release-Blackened sludge doesn't quite nail it. Great songwriting, nasty as hell, a little proggy even. Kind of the nasty elements of BM with other bands I like-Neuoris, Converge.

912RiNrnziL._SL1200_.jpg


http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OX73dGH08dU

Few releases in the BM/sludge realm impress me as much as this. More please!

Great stuff! Lord mantis especially, way underrated IMO but also nasty as hell, definitely the grossest parts of DM and BM mixed with doom, sludge and like you said, even a but of prog elements. Love that disc and their first one
post #12328 of 25544

I would buy this LP only for the stunning artwork:


The album itself is really awesome too soo....what are you vinyl people waiting for?

post #12329 of 25544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Yum Goong View Post
 

I would buy this LP only for the stunning artwork:


The album itself is really awesome too soo....what are you vinyl people waiting for?

How about an artist and album name?  The art looks interesting but it's one of an ever increasing number of embeded youtube videos that aren't working for me :triportsad:

post #12330 of 25544
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidal_orange View Post
 

How about an artist and album name?  The art looks interesting but it's one of an ever increasing number of embeded youtube videos that aren't working for me :triportsad:

I'm a silly goose, sorry :)

That's the LP version of Bongrippers Hippie Killer!
The cover was drawn by a dude named Mike Miller.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Lets Talk Metal