Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Lets Talk Metal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lets Talk Metal - Page 806

post #12076 of 17190
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrocheesium View Post

 


Man, we think in completely opposite ways. I still can't get into your first four options. :P I went Prog Death -> Melodeath -> everything else (gradually). Although I do agree about saving BM for last.

 

I guess I went more the same way you did, starting with Slipknot, In Flames and Rammstein. I also discovered a lot of music through stickdeath.com (which has sadly shut down now), like Static X, System of a Down, The Union Underground, Disturbed and Rob Zombie.

Later I discovered bands like Killswitch Engage, Blind Guardian, Soilwork, Chimaira, Rage Against the Machine, Metalica and Nightwish.

Now I find myself listening to bands like Opeth, Dream Theater, Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet for my Valentine and My Chemical Romance (don't hate me). Those last few might not technically be metal, and are mostly associated with teens. But before you judge MCR you should give The Black Parade (the whole album) a good listen. It's not very heavy, but it's so good I'm not ashamed to admit I like My Chemical Romance :p

I do have to say that my preferences are prone to change, and during a six month period I've usually been through everything I have.

 

Ooh, and I almost forgot one band I've been listening to almost non stop for the last month or so:

 

Ghost!

700

 

I love these guys! And I can hardly believe they're coming to little insignificant Trondheim in little more than a week! Though to be fair they are Swedish, which are our good neighbours, and Trondheim is the third biggest city in Norway (at a whooping 180.000 citizens). I'm practically giddy with anticipation!

post #12077 of 17190
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathzombie View Post
 

Really, I find Krallice to be the most accessible form of Black Metal. I have a real difficult time getting into Black and Years Past Matter to me is the most accessible Black metal album I have heard. However, you could argue that Krallice is not truly Black..


I disagree. The newest Enslaved is far more accessible. My wife likes the entire album, and even my mom thought it was tolerable.

 

I'm a fan of both bands by the way. :)

 

Oh, and can EITHER be considered black metal, like you mention? They both have black elements I'd say.

 

On second thought, I don't think Krallice is accessible at all. Accessible music usually follows fairly standard patterns (4/4, verse-chorus-verse, lots of melody), and Krallice doesn't really exhibit any. In fact, lots of metal heads even find Years Past Matter inaccessible.


Edited by campj - 11/21/13 at 2:34pm
post #12078 of 17190

OMGOMG, all i hoped was like 1-2 bands and i got a flood of recommendations...now you guys just filled my next few weeks XD

 

Thank you all so much !

post #12079 of 17190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pritolus View Post
 

 

I guess I went more the same way you did, starting with Slipknot, In Flames and Rammstein. I also discovered a lot of music through stickdeath.com (which has sadly shut down now), like Static X, System of a Down, The Union Underground, Disturbed and Rob Zombie.

Later I discovered bands like Killswitch Engage, Blind Guardian, Soilwork, Chimaira, Rage Against the Machine, Metalica and Nightwish.

Now I find myself listening to bands like Opeth, Dream Theater, Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet for my Valentine and My Chemical Romance (don't hate me). Those last few might not technically be metal, and are mostly associated with teens. But before you judge MCR you should give The Black Parade (the whole album) a good listen. It's not very heavy, but it's so good I'm not ashamed to admit I like My Chemical Romance :p

I do have to say that my preferences are prone to change, and during a six month period I've usually been through everything I have.

 

Ooh, and I almost forgot one band I've been listening to almost non stop for the last month or so:


I'm surprised you didn't discover Metallica until that late. Eeeeeveryone knows about Metallica.

 

The Black Parade is one of my favorite albums. Seriously, I heard it before I started listening to metal. I'm not a fan of any of MCR's other albums, though.

 

I find that the more music I listen to, the less I like Dream Theater. The first time I listened to them I was so impressed, and now it just sounds like a few guys trying to squeeze in as many notes as they can fit between each beat. Having said that, I still think Scenes from a memory is great and I'd also recommend it for someone getting into metal.

post #12080 of 17190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenova777 View Post
 

OMGOMG, all i hoped was like 1-2 bands and i got a flood of recommendations...now you guys just filled my next few weeks XD

 

Thank you all so much !

 

You are most welcome!

With all the different recommendations you got I think all of us would like to know what bands/albums you end up checking out, and what you think about them. Knowing what tickles your inner headbanger will help us recommend more great music you are likely to enjoy :beyersmile:

post #12081 of 17190
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrocheesium View Post
 


I'm surprised you didn't discover Metallica until that late. Eeeeeveryone knows about Metallica.

I was listening to Dimmu Borgir 10 years ago but only listened to my first Metallica album earlier this year, when a colleague recommended it after I mentioned liking classical and metal - that album would of course be S&M.  Despite thoroughly enjoying it I haven't considered checking out anything else by them, the nomination for "crapest mastering job ever" on Death Magnetic probably has something to do with that.  If the band thinks that sounds good (I've watched/listened to comparisons of the album compared to the guitar hero version on youtube, it really doesn't) what hope have they of making a good sounding album??

 

As for my path I went straight from pop-punk (Offspring, Blink 182 and Green Day) to Dimmu, Opeth and Children of Bodom followed by power metal (Sonata Arctica, Stratovarious) and lately more prog-y and folky stuff (Dream Theater, Riverside, Eluveite, Fintroll, Pigeon Toe) and story based albums (Haken - Aquarius, Shadow Gallery - Tyranny, Beyond the Bridge - The Old Man And The Spirit) to the point where my taste almost seems too light to be called metal at all.  I think it would have been an easier path to walk backwards!

post #12082 of 17190
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidal_orange View Post
 

Despite thoroughly enjoying it I haven't considered checking out anything else by them, the nomination for "crapest mastering job ever" on Death Magnetic probably has something to do with that.  If the band thinks that sounds good (I've watched/listened to comparisons of the album compared to the guitar hero version on youtube, it really doesn't) what hope have they of making a good sounding album??


You can find the Guitar Hero rip online if you look for it. It still isn't the best sounding album, but acceptable. Death Magnetic is one of the few Metallica albums I like. And if you thought that was bad, don't even try Justice for All. :blink: 

post #12083 of 17190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pritolus View Post


As much as I love Opeth, I didn't find them that easy to get into. I had to hear Blackwater Park a few times before I really started liking it. So far I've only heard that and Heritage, both of which I've come to really love. It just took me more time than say, In Flames.



I'd like to make another album suggestion; The Golden Age of Grotesque by Marilyn Manson.

I don't like all of his stuff as much, but this album I really like. If you're going to give Manson a try I'd say start with that one.

Blackwater Park and Heritage are bad albums to start Opeth with, IMO.

Watershed is my personal favorite but they did more 'straightforward' Death Metal in their earlier works.
post #12084 of 17190


Came in today. POPMarket had a good deal for the pair. Now own all but Crack the Skye on vinyl. Still gotta get those 45s.

Expecting some LPs from Blood soon, too. Been waiting too long for these NeO records.
post #12085 of 17190

Didn't really like Deliverance or Black Water Park at first. Probably didn't give them proper listen sessions but I remember ignoring them all together after a couple of listens. Morningrise however, hooked me instantly and even til this day I'm mainly an Opeth fan for that album. Although I really enjoy both Deliverance and Black Water Park now too.

post #12086 of 17190

I don't exactly know what genre this album falls into, but it's one I really like. If only they sang in english my life would be complete :tongue:

 

post #12087 of 17190
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathzombie View Post
 

Recommendations:

 

1. Start with some Thrash -

Metallica - Kill em All, And Justice For All, Ride The Lightning. 

Slayer - Reign in Blood

Megadeth - Symphony Of Destruction

 

2. Then switch to some old school Metal -

Ironmaiden - Number of the Beast

Motorhead 

Judas Priest

Ozzy

Black Sabbath

 

3. Then switch to MetalCore/Death

As I lay Dying : Frail Words Collapse

Killswitch Engage

All That Remains

 

4. Then switch to Death Metal

- Death - Symbolic, Sounds of Perseverance

- Obituary

- Cannibal Corpse

 

5. Then switch to Doom Metal

Katatonia, Anathema, In the Silence till - Monolith

 

6. Then switch to Tech Death

- Beyond Creation - The Aura

 

7. Then switch to Progressive Death

- Opeth, Enslaved, October Tide, 

 

7. Then switch to Black

- Darkthrone, Emperor, Immortal, Mayhem

 

8. Then switch to Progressive/Post Black

- Deafheaven, Krallice

 

9. Then switch to Obscure Metal Bands:

 

Onazzi Pazuzu !!

Striborg!!

Jesu!!

Horseback!!

 

Follow this circle, until you are able to create a stable routine of metal dosage for treating your mental ailments 

That's actually not a bad last. W

 

e can always argue one album or genre.

 

I would thrown in some stoner metal and weird ambient stuff, add some doom and BM (Marduk is a must for me), but good starting point. I'd also point to some melodeath which is a good point of entry for the uninitiated.

 

Postmetal stuff like Isis and Neurosis are also essential....but for someone new to metal...it's too much. Iron Maiden and Motorhead for sure!

post #12088 of 17190
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post

That's actually not a bad last. W

 

e can always argue one album or genre.

 

I would thrown in some stoner metal and weird ambient stuff, add some doom and BM (Marduk is a must for me), but good starting point. I'd also point to some melodeath which is a good point of entry for the uninitiated.

 

Postmetal stuff like Isis and Neurosis are also essential....but for someone new to metal...it's too much. Iron Maiden and Motorhead for sure!

 



I don't understand the need for a progression. Why not try a bit of each to start off with and find out what sounds best. Just about anything on that list can be listened to online. Bandcamp has more free streaming metal than you can shake a stick at. Google: Relapse Alumni Bandcamp, Relapse Records Bandcamp, Profound Lore Bandcamp, Willowtip Bandcamp, and 20buckspin Bandcamp for a lifetime of enjoyable tunes.

I started off listening to Metallica, Pantera, Cannibal Corpse, and Deicide in the mid 90s. I've been a metal head for quite some time smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by campj - 11/22/13 at 7:40am
post #12089 of 17190
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathzombie View Post
 

Recommendations:

 

1. Start with some Thrash -

Metallica - Kill em All, And Justice For All, Ride The Lightning. 

Slayer - Reign in Blood

Megadeth - Symphony Of Destruction

 

2. Then switch to some old school Metal -

Ironmaiden - Number of the Beast

Motorhead 

Judas Priest

Ozzy

Black Sabbath

 

3. Then switch to MetalCore/Death

As I lay Dying : Frail Words Collapse

Killswitch Engage

All That Remains

 

4. Then switch to Death Metal

- Death - Symbolic, Sounds of Perseverance

- Obituary

- Cannibal Corpse

 

5. Then switch to Doom Metal

Katatonia, Anathema, In the Silence till - Monolith

 

6. Then switch to Tech Death

- Beyond Creation - The Aura

 

7. Then switch to Progressive Death

- Opeth, Enslaved, October Tide, 

 

7. Then switch to Black

- Darkthrone, Emperor, Immortal, Mayhem

 

8. Then switch to Progressive/Post Black

- Deafheaven, Krallice

 

9. Then switch to Obscure Metal Bands:

 

Onazzi Pazuzu !!

Striborg!!

Jesu!!

Horseback!!

 

Follow this circle, until you are able to create a stable routine of metal dosage for treating your mental ailments 

Great list.

 

A way for any music listener to warm up to the musical abrasion of metal and extreme metal.

I like how you started with the fun and high accessibly on bands Metallica,Slayer and Megadeth. Then a switch to the root metal bands.

 

 

I have a funny feeling that this was your very own personal learning curve and play-list trajectory?:rolleyes: 

 

 

Mine would be like this....

 

 

 

Try to get into this whole album. Play it as many times as it takes.

Terrorizer - World Downfall

 

If you can't handle that then listen to this.....

Black Sabbath - Ironman

 

If you can't get into that then ...oh well.......there is still hope! :D

 


Edited by Redcarmoose - 11/22/13 at 9:30am
post #12090 of 17190


For you death heads out there, check the new Torture Division in full dynamic range (DR13) mixed by Dan Swano.

Its available for FREE in FLAC. Spread the word.
Edited by Trogdor - 11/22/13 at 9:12am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Lets Talk Metal