Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Lets Talk Metal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lets Talk Metal - Page 789

post #11821 of 16356
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathzombie View Post
 

For me nothing beats this:

 

 

 

I've never been able to get into Emperor... Guess I'm just very picky about my black metal. I like everything that Ihsahn has done in his solo project so far.

post #11822 of 16356

Mr Ferday... I am waiting for your Impale Golden Horn'esque recommendations...

post #11823 of 16356
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrocheesium View Post
 

 

I've never been able to get into Emperor... Guess I'm just very picky about my black metal. I like everything that Ihsahn has done in his solo project so far.

 

The Candlelight reissue has the demo and the 93 EP put on one CD. Cover is this, the same as the 93 EP.

 

This is a great intro to the band if you can't get into their later bombastic releases with pop star portraits on the cover. This is the real deal.

 

  I Am the Black Wizards    
 

Mightiest am I,
But I am not alone in this cosmos of mine.
For the black hills consists of black souls,
Souls that already dies one thousand deaths.
Behind the stone walls (of centuries) they breed their black art.
Boiling their spells in cauldrons of black gold.

Far up in the mountains,
Where the rain fall not far,
Yet the Sun cannot reach.
The wizards, my servants,

Summon the souls of macrocosm.
No age will escape my wrath.
I travel through time and I return to the future.
I gather wisdom now lost.
I visit again the eternally ancient caves,
Before a mighty Emperor thereupon came.
Watching the mortals "discovering" my chronicles, guarded
By the old demons, even unknown to me.

Once destroyed their souls are being summoned
To my timeless prison of hate.
It is delightful to feast upon the screaming souls
That were destroyed in my future.

How many wizards that serve me with evil, I know not.
My empires has no limits.

From the never ending mountains black, to the bottomless lakes.
I am the ruler and has been for eternities long.
I am them.

(I am them.)
(I am them.)

From the never ending mountains black, to the bottomless lakes.
I am the ruler and has been for eternities long.
My wizards are many, but their essence is mine.
Forever they are in the hills in their stone homes of grief.
Because I am the spirit of their existence.
I am them.

I am them.
I am them.

 

 


Edited by Redcarmoose - 10/12/13 at 11:31pm
post #11824 of 16356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post
 

 

The Candlelight reissue has the demo and the 93 EP put on one CD. Cover is this, the same as the 93 EP.

 

This is a great intro to the band if you can't get into their later bombastic releases with pop star portraits on the cover. This is the real deal.

 

  I Am the Black Wizards    
 

Mightiest am I,
But I am not alone in this cosmos of mine.
For the black hills consists of black souls,
Souls that already dies one thousand deaths.
Behind the stone walls (of centuries) they breed their black art.
Boiling their spells in cauldrons of black gold.

Far up in the mountains,
Where the rain fall not far,
Yet the Sun cannot reach.
The wizards, my servants,

Summon the souls of macrocosm.
No age will escape my wrath.
I travel through time and I return to the future.
I gather wisdom now lost.
I visit again the eternally ancient caves,
Before a mighty Emperor thereupon came.
Watching the mortals "discovering" my chronicles, guarded
By the old demons, even unknown to me.

Once destroyed their souls are being summoned
To my timeless prison of hate.
It is delightful to feast upon the screaming souls
That were destroyed in my future.

How many wizards that serve me with evil, I know not.
My empires has no limits.

From the never ending mountains black, to the bottomless lakes.
I am the ruler and has been for eternities long.
I am them.

(I am them.)
(I am them.)

From the never ending mountains black, to the bottomless lakes.
I am the ruler and has been for eternities long.
My wizards are many, but their essence is mine.
Forever they are in the hills in their stone homes of grief.
Because I am the spirit of their existence.
I am them.

I am them.
I am them.

 

 

 

Great post.  I like lyrics and always pay attention to lyrical content.....I started out as an actor and love Shakepseare, good literature, etc.

 

There was some real poetry IMO in Emperor and Immortal....even though they were quite different. And, I always keep in my mind they were working with English as a second language.

 

Emperor IMO were effective in getting away from almost adolescent fascination with Satan and incorporating love of Norwegian landscapes, nature and paganism into their lyrics and searched for that epic sound to get at transcendence. Maybe they didn't quite get there, but they got damn close.

 

They were innovators and of many of those early seminal bands really tried to create something different. 50 years from-I think music geeks will give them big props-perhaps in the same way people fawn over Nirvana today.

 

Allmusic writes:

 

When attention first focused on Norway's almost cartoonishly violent black metal scene in the mid-'90s, Mayhem were dubbed its godfathers, but most of the critical accolades were bestowed upon Emperor, whose musical innovations have had more impact on the genre than any other band. Norwegian black metal was rife with anti-Christian sentiment, but Emperor found novel ways of expressing it in their music; while their music could be furious and violent, the group was also influenced by the darkly majestic melodies of Norwegian folk and classical music, which very effectively supported their lyrical subject matter (even if it was frequently unintelligible). Emperor evoked not only Satanic horror, but also the frigid loneliness of bleak Scandinavian winters; additionally, images of pagan nature worship recalled an ancient, idealized pre-Christian past in which Scandinavian culture was one of the world's most dominant (resulting in the sound being tagged "Viking metal" by some).

post #11825 of 16356

I love this song and especially this version of it.

post #11826 of 16356

Let me introduce the underground death metal masterpiece :

 

Timeghoul - 1992-1994 Discography

 

The album cover

 

The entire album

post #11827 of 16356

 

Some more crazy prog metal. These guys are all over the place... reminds me of a more intense and varied Pain of Salvation. Too many genres to count in this one track!

 

Omb - Swinesong


Edited by macrocheesium - 10/13/13 at 5:24pm
post #11828 of 16356

This is one of my all time favorite songs.

http://lesbian.bandcamp.com/track/black-stygian

This psychedelic stoner death sludge whatever song is over 22 minutes long and only the first third of it features some sweet vocals.
What comes after that might be the most powerful and mighty instumental part I know.
I just can't sit still while this song is running :D
The drumming is incredible and the riffs just won't leave my head! Super catchy.

It might start slow and calm but after the song is over, you feel like you got ran over by an 18 wheeler.

post #11829 of 16356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Yum Goong View Post
 

This is one of my all time favorite songs.

http://lesbian.bandcamp.com/track/black-stygian

This psychedelic stoner death sludge whatever song is over 22 minutes long and only the first third of it features some sweet vocals.
What comes after that might be the most powerful and mighty instumental part I know.
I just can't sit still while this song is running :D
The drumming is incredible and the riffs just won't leave my head! Super catchy.

It might start slow and calm but after the song is over, you feel like you got ran over by an 18 wheeler.

 

 

 psy doom. I am liking this: http://domovoyd.bandcamp.com/ not exactly lesbian but maybe kind of a distant younger cousin to them.

post #11830 of 16356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Yum Goong View Post
 

This is one of my all time favorite songs.

http://lesbian.bandcamp.com/track/black-stygian

This psychedelic stoner death sludge whatever song is over 22 minutes long and only the first third of it features some sweet vocals.
What comes after that might be the most powerful and mighty instumental part I know.
I just can't sit still while this song is running :D
The drumming is incredible and the riffs just won't leave my head! Super catchy.

It might start slow and calm but after the song is over, you feel like you got ran over by an 18 wheeler.

And by the way, this rules. I knew about this band but hadn't checked them out. With my current taste comprising of bands like Jesu, Planning for Burial, Domovoyd and Horseback.. This is a welcome additon. Thanks dude.

post #11831 of 16356
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathzombie View Post
 

 

 

 psy doom. I am liking this: http://domovoyd.bandcamp.com/ not exactly lesbian but maybe kind of a distant younger cousin to them.

These dudes remind me more of UFOmammut, to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathzombie View Post
 

And by the way, this rules. I knew about this band but hadn't checked them out. With my current taste comprising of bands like Jesu, Planning for Burial, Domovoyd and Horseback.. This is a welcome additon. Thanks dude.

That's what I'm here for ;)

post #11832 of 16356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Yum Goong View Post
 

These dudes remind me more of UFOmammut, to be honest.

That's what I'm here for ;)

UFOmammut are so much more heavier. Aren't they?

post #11833 of 16356
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathzombie View Post
 

UFOmammut are so much more heavier. Aren't they?

Heavier than Domovoyd?
I guess so, but the vocals are quiet similar and the weird space noises they use too.
 

post #11834 of 16356

So I figure I would chime in since I went through all the effort to do it. I ripped the 24/48 audio from the DVD included with Dethroned and Uncrowned to see if it was any more dynamic....turned out it wasn't, and not worth the effort...though I guess I didnt try down mixing the 4.1 to see if it was any better.

 

foobar2000 1.2.6 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2013-10-14 02:40:16

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Katatonia / Dethroned & Uncrowned
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR7       -0.53 dB   -11.55 dB      4:51 01-The Parting
DR8       -0.54 dB   -11.68 dB      3:57 02-The One You Are Looking for Is Not Here
DR7       -0.54 dB   -10.61 dB      4:13 03-Hypnone
DR8       -0.53 dB   -11.12 dB      3:25 04-The Racing Heart
DR8       -0.54 dB   -10.66 dB      3:23 05-Buildings
DR8       -0.04 dB   -10.96 dB      4:17 06-Leech
DR8       -0.54 dB   -12.12 dB      4:30 07-Ambitions
DR7       -0.53 dB   -11.57 dB      4:52 08-Undo You
DR7       -0.52 dB   -10.77 dB      4:06 09-Lethean
DR9       -0.54 dB   -12.69 dB      4:19 10-First Prayer
DR9       -0.54 dB   -12.37 dB      4:15 11-Dead Letters
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of tracks:  11
Official DR value: DR8

Samplerate:        44100 Hz
Channels:          2
Bits per sample:   16
Bitrate:           830 kbps
Codec:             ALAC
================================================================================

 

 

foobar2000 1.2.6 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2013-10-14 12:40:25

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Katatonia / Dethroned & Uncrowned 48/24
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR7       -0.53 dB   -11.55 dB      4:51 01-The Parting
DR8       -0.54 dB   -12.51 dB      4:51 02-The One You Are Looking For is Not Here
DR7       -0.53 dB   -10.61 dB      4:13 03-Hypnone
DR8       -0.53 dB   -12.02 dB      4:13 04-The Racing Heart
DR8       -0.54 dB   -10.72 dB      3:25 05-Buildings
DR8       -0.03 dB   -10.95 dB      4:17 06-Leech
DR8       -0.54 dB   -12.11 dB      4:30 07-Ambitions
DR7       -0.53 dB   -11.57 dB      4:52 08-Undo You
DR7       -0.52 dB   -11.54 dB      4:52 09-Lethean
DR9       -0.52 dB   -12.69 dB      4:19 10-First Prayer
DR9       -0.53 dB   -12.47 dB      4:19 11-Dead Letters
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of tracks:  11
Official DR value: DR8

Samplerate:        48000 Hz
Channels:          2
Bits per sample:   24
Bitrate:           1671 kbps
Codec:             ALAC
================================================================================

 

 

basically identical.

 

Edit: Since I'm pretty sure no one else posted this either. the newest song from Protest the Hero, and god damn is it good...

 


Edited by SoupRKnowva - 10/14/13 at 9:52am
post #11835 of 16356

np: Enslaved - Riittiir.

 

I somehow had some weird prejudices about this band. It's still a mystery to me how I ended up really liking music like this. Yet I have no clue what I though "this" was.

 

I like Riittiir.

 

I've had some trouble sleeping recently and the upcoming winter hurts my ears so music hasn't been enjoyed in this house too much.:duggfloat:

There's a Pinkish Black sophomore record still waiting to get some play time and Boards of Canada reprints later this week. (Where's that new Chelsea Wolfe record of mine btw? Oh, right over there still in wrapping.)

 

Ghost Reveries on vinyl sounds great. Go buy it. Buy Riittiir also. It's even better.

 

Edit: Related to Emperor discussion I listened to Ihsahn's previous record on spotify and sounds pretty good. There's some good stuff in there. Might get the new album! Emperor maybe not so much for me.


Edited by Kirnupiima - 10/14/13 at 10:27am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Lets Talk Metal