Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Need help choosing a new set of earphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need help choosing a new set of earphones

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I'm looking for a pair of earphones to replace my Sennheiser CX300's that recently overnight stopped producing sound on the left side for me.

Anyways I was looking at:

Sennheiser CX500 (~$30)
Shure SCL2 (~$70)
Etymotics ER6i (~$80)

These prices are all off eBay and including shipping. Now I'm looking to not spend too much money as I am currently lacking in splurging money, and I'm definitely trying to keep it under $100. Are the Shure and Etymotics worth spending more than double the price of the Sennheiser? I listen to a bit of everything, from classic to rock to R&B, but I would probably pick classic rock as my most listened to genre. I love my bass don't want it too muddy. Keeping these things in mind, which of these which would you guys recommend of these these 3? Or is there another pair of noise isolating earphones you guys would recommend that would run me for under $100?

Any help would be appreciated guys as I want to be getting these as soon as possible.
post #2 of 14
If you love impactful bass you may have a hard time loving it with the Etymotics.
post #3 of 14
I would go for the Shure SCL4 (White only) for $80. However, be mindful that the bass is not the leader of the pack with these IEMs.

Shure SCL4 Sound Isolating Earphones with Bass Port and more In-Ear Professional Headphones at GuitarCenter.com.

or

Buy Shure SCL4 Sound Isolating Earphones with Bass Port | In-Ear Professional Headphones | Musician's Friend (select white from the drop down list)

It'll take them about a week or two to ship them, since there's such a rush for them. However, it's the best dollar to value option out there right now.
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
Is bass non-existent or something with them?
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meh View Post
Is bass non-existent or something with them?
Not non-existent (We're not talking about an Etymotic IEM here), just that if you are really into your bass making your head vibrate, the SCL4 is probably not the best option.

If you're looking for that, consider the ZAGG Z.Buds. Best bass I've heard in the sub-$100 range so far (I haven't had a chance to listen to Denon's C700/751 yet, so I can't compare the two).

Z.Buds Review: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/z...9/#post5196275
ZAGG Website: ZAGG | Z.buds | iPhone Earbuds, In-ear Headphones, Earphones
post #6 of 14
I've owned the CX300's. At the time I thought they sounded quite good but that was before I'd heard anything better.

The way I would put it is that once your ears are adjusted to the sound signature of some of the higher end IEM's, you'll realize that the SQ from before wasn't all that great. I especially remember the CX300's having what I now know to be rather bloated bass.
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taikero View Post
Not non-existent (We're not talking about an Etymotic IEM here), just that if you are really into your bass making your head vibrate, the SCL4 is probably not the best option.
I was actually referring to the ER6i's with that comment, but regarding that link you sent me.. I would actually consider buying that were it not for the fact that neither site says it can ship to me my location (Canada).
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYDave View Post
I've owned the CX300's. At the time I thought they sounded quite good but that was before I'd heard anything better.

The way I would put it is that once your ears are adjusted to the sound signature of some of the higher end IEM's, you'll realize that the SQ from before wasn't all that great. I especially remember the CX300's having what I now know to be rather bloated bass.
Alright, well I'm open to suggestions. I've been happy with my CX300's to date, and my HD555's which is why I thought of the CX500's.
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meh View Post
I was actually referring to the ER6i's with that comment, but regarding that link you sent me.. I would actually consider buying that were it not for the fact that neither site says it can ship to me my location (Canada).
ZAGG will ship internationally. Just add the Z.Buds to your cart and go to checkout and you'll see.
post #10 of 14
I just got the NuForce NE-7 and IMHO they sound excellent (burned in for about 50+ hours now) with extended and powerful bass (about 25 Hz) smooth mids, balanced higs, and a great sound stage. They blow my other headphones I own out of the water (not saying much currently, some $30 IEMs, Plantronics Gamecom, and a pair of Senn RS 130s for TV/movie watching).

I was going to buy the X10 but because of HeadphoneAddict's review, I decided to try these out, and now am wondering how much better the X10 could be (if at all to my ears); is it worth another $200?
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post
I was going to buy the X10 but because of HeadphoneAddict's review, I decided to try these out, and now am wondering how much better the X10 could be (if at all to my ears); is it worth another $200?
The X10 can be had for about $180-$200 most of the time. I'd say they're definitely a step up from the NE-7M (have both, listening to NE-7M right now though). The NE-7M are a bit on the airy side, and kind of sound as if I'm listening to a high quality radio recording in a way, at least on a fair number of tracks.

Also, the NE-7M have the worst silicone tips of any IEM I've tried. Absolutely annoying, almost futile, trying to get a decent fit with them.
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taikero View Post
The X10 can be had for about $180-$200 most of the time. I'd say they're definitely a step up from the NE-7M (have both, listening to NE-7M right now though). The NE-7M are a bit on the airy side, and kind of sound as if I'm listening to a high quality radio recording in a way, at least on a fair number of tracks.

Also, the NE-7M have the worst silicone tips of any IEM I've tried. Absolutely annoying, almost futile, trying to get a decent fit with them.
Taikero, thanks for the info. I am fairly new to the IEM world, so I don't yet know a good tip from a bad tip, but for the NE-7 I am using the largest size (but mediums work great for my other IEMs). The NE-7 definately sounds much better with the large tips to me. I am going to order Comply tips the next time I order anything from Amazon and see how those work.

But are the X10's $180-200 better than the NE-7's (I know, each person has to make their own decision)? I listen to trance/electronic music as well as pop, rock, classic rock, and sometimes classical. Would I hear more detail, wider sound stage, more extended bass, more bass with the X10 to justify the cost?

I am on the fence about buying them because of how happy I am with the NE-7. I am actually thinking of increasing my price range for an IEM, or getting a nice headphone for home use. I am probably going to spend between $400 and $500 on an IEM, headphone for home use, and maybe a portable headphone, but haven't gathered enough info (so I am still lurking).

I guess I am thinking if I were to get an IE8, would I need to get a full size headphone for home use (and I wouldn't need a portable headphone).
post #13 of 14
I think an IE8 (or the X10, both are good options) and then something like a Denon AH-D2000 (a product I'm considering) or a Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm would be a good investment for what you like (both have good bass and are widely used and recommended at about the $200 range). The nice thing about the Denon is it has a lot of room to improve with various mods, whether it's recabling, or getting wooden cups, or at least two other possible mods some Head-Fi members have come up with. This means you can turn a $200 phone into something that rivals the $1000+ headphones eventually (I've even heard of comparisons against the famous Sony MDR-R10.....).

Another more balanced option is the Sennheiser HD650, but you need to be ready to drop some serious cash on the right setup surrounding and enhancing the HD650 in order for it to sound its best. It's one of the best phones for someone who likes to build a system around their headphone.
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
So should I not consider SCL2 or ER6i's then? Has anyone tried the CX500s and compared them to other earphones? I really wish I could get the SCL4s, that's an awesome deal.. How is the overall sound on the Z-buds? I find it interesting that those and the NuForce both have mics so I can use it with my iPhone, but I can't really try either pair out and more or less have to commit to buy it seems. =\
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Need help choosing a new set of earphones