Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Looking for new IEMs, jumping the TF10 ship.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for new IEMs, jumping the TF10 ship.

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I need bass. I'm not really a bass head, but I like listening to my phones at lower volume, where the TF10's bass is pretty much non-existent to my ears. To fully enjoy them, I'd have to crank up the volume to a level that's beyond my comfort zone, which I do not with to do. I enjoy my PX-100s so much more at lower volume, they sound so much more natural, especially with hip hop, rap, etc. Of course, the sound quality is not the same, but I prefer the PX-100's curve. So I'm looking for a new pair of IEMs.

I'm specifically looking at the Sennheiser IE8 for a few reasons:
Tweakable bass
I live right next door to Sennheiser's Canadian service center (easy to deal with, nice guys)
Replaceable cables
From the reviews I've read, awesome sound, soundstage, etc.

Are the IE8s the right phones for me?
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GN85 View Post
I need bass. I'm not really a bass head, but I like listening to my phones at lower volume, where the TF10's bass is pretty much non-existent to my ears. To fully enjoy them, I'd have to crank up the volume to a level that's beyond my comfort zone, which I do not with to do. I enjoy my PX-100s so much more at lower volume, they sound so much more natural, especially with hip hop, rap, etc. Of course, the sound quality is not the same, but I prefer the PX-100's curve. So I'm looking for a new pair of IEMs.

I'm specifically looking at the Sennheiser IE8 for a few reasons:
Tweakable bass
I live right next door to Sennheiser's Canadian service center (easy to deal with, nice guys)
Replaceable cables
From the reviews I've read, awesome sound, soundstage, etc.

Are the IE8s the right phones for me?

what tips are you using? If it is comply and your saying there is no bass then there is a big issue
post #3 of 14
i would vote IE8, if you dont enjoy the bass from dual armatures your next step would deffinately be a high end dynamic driver set.
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyb213 View Post
what tips are you using? If it is comply and your saying there is no bass then there is a big issue
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/t...lation-351865/

I use that. The isolation isn't as good as with the comply tips alone, but it's decent.

Btw non-existent bass is kind of an exaggeration, but the bass is really to weak for my taste at low volume.
post #5 of 14
interesting I find they have a ton of bass your sure nothing is wrong at all?
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyb213 View Post
interesting I find they have a ton of bass your sure nothing is wrong at all?
Maybe my hearing

Btw not using an amp or anything, just plugging my earphones into my MP3 player or computer.
post #7 of 14
yeah I have done so also and your sure your getting a good seal?
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
I have to take them off to hear the people disturbing me while I'm listening to my music. So yeah, good seal.

They just don't sound natural to me (too neutral, dull, not enough warmth... hard to describe really). I'm also unimpressed with the build quality as my first pair failed within a few months.

Could be my hearing, but after 8 months of usage, I conclude that the TF10s are just not the right phones for me.
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx20001 View Post
i would vote IE8, if you dont enjoy the bass from dual armatures your next step would deffinately be a high end dynamic driver set.
I heard that dynamic drivers sound better at low volume. Is this true?
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GN85 View Post
I heard that dynamic drivers sound better at low volume. Is this true?
I believe that is true because the Future Sonics Atrio M5's (dynamic driver) are known for being able to produce bass at lower volumes.
post #11 of 14
Your right there arent much bass on the TF10 about 2/10 volume on my iPod Classic. Although i listen to about 5/10 volume and that sounds fine... oright bass, still not massive. Im using the stock tips
post #12 of 14
It all boils down to the seal you get. Before I tried TF10 I was using the canal phone mode of OK1 for a short while and I used to get best seal with them in CP mode with double flanges. When I first received TF10 I used them with Double flanges. No bass at all. I was thinking "OMG, What is this?"
But I then got a wonderful seal with large silicon tips and tried three mods with them. All instances gave me very good seal and brilliant bass response which goes really low. I used to have Atrio V1s too. I know they are bass heavy. But TF10 have more controlled bass and it hits really low as well.
But many people can not get the good seal with them due to design flaws.
There are few ways to know whether you got a tight seal. Push the tip into canal as far as possible with small rocking movements and let go. If you feel that you hearing is blocked due to suction created by negative pressure inside the canal you are there. This is short lived as air leaks in till pressure is stabilised with outside pressue. The other test is to slightly pull the TF10 out when you insert it. If you feel a good tight seal and a sensation of suction inside canals, you have a good seal.
If you have a good seal, they are very fun IEMs with very good separation and sound-stage for an IEM. They certainly do not lack BASS.
post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
kaushama at what volume do you listen to your music at? I'm talking about low volume here. Sure the bass is there when I play my music loud, but it kind of becomes a tap on a cardboard box when I bring the volume down. I want to enjoy the bass, and the way it complements the songs that I listen to. I don't want to analyze it and say "oh yeah, there it is, boy does it sound good" when really, it doesn't.

I know that some phone makers, instead of going for a perfectly flat response, enhance the bass and highs I believe, to give a more realistic sound at low volume. Obviously the TF10s aren't optimized for low volume listening, it's why I'm looking for a more bassy pair of IEMs.
post #14 of 14
I listen to music at quite low volumes. But I am using a Xin Supermini as well. No bass boast and flat EQ out of portable player.
But I must admit I am a person who prefers neutral SQ. Coming from that trait I think it has ample bass.
Atrio never won my heart as it had rolled off highs.
IE8 seems to be a bass heavy IEM with a bass adjuster on board.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Looking for new IEMs, jumping the TF10 ship.