Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Sound Levels
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sound Levels

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 
So, I have a Fiio E5 as of about a week ago. I've been fiddling with it, and it's neat - But obviously it has no place in my home rig, and I bought it mainly as a curiosity.

However, I have found a purpose for it. I'd like to know if my math is correct.

To go in order of my signal path, my computer outputs music at about -11 dB (Amarok's ReplayGain script does its best to achieve 89 dB.) and my PCM volume is 0 dB.

Fed to the GS-X, I listen with the HD650s at the 3rd volume setting (Of 24. The first being off.) We're going to assume the DA220's output is 0 dB - Being deep class A, it may end up being hotter than that.

Assuming the 24th position is completely unattenuated - The full two watts per channel with line level input, I listen at -52.5 dB on the amplifier. Add that to the computer's -11 dB and I am being fed a -63.5 dB signal.

Now, on to the fun part: I like to feed my bass's output to the GS-X. To get it to the same level as the computer, I had to turn the volume up to the maximum.

Now, with the introduction of the E5, I'm able to turn the GS-X down by 10 notches - 25 dB. I'd assume that since I'm still at the 14th notch, 11 away from normal listening, that gain has been increased by 52.5 dB, and thusly, the bass signal is -116 dB.

Is this method of calculating sane?
post #2 of 4
Hello Deiz.

I wonder if you are mixing up different Units of measurement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deiz View Post
To go in order of my signal path, my computer outputs music at about -11 dB (Amarok's ReplayGain script does its best to achieve 89 dB.) and my PCM volume is 0 dB.
This should be dBFS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deiz View Post
Assuming the 24th position is completely unattenuated - The full two watts per channel with line level input, I listen at -52.5 dB on the amplifier. Add that to the computer's -11 dB and I am being fed a -63.5 dB signal.
I don't understand how you got -52.5 dB from the step of the volume knob your using and I really don't know why this value is negative.
Don't you need values in dBu or dBV or when talking about the level of your headphones in dBSPL?

Sorry for my english...

Regards,
Jonas
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deiz View Post
Is this method of calculating sane?
No.

What point does it serve over using a sound dB meter after the nonlinear headphone response?
post #4 of 4
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Vo View Post
Hello Deiz.

I wonder if you are mixing up different Units of measurement.



This should be dBFS.


I don't understand how you got -52.5 dB from the step of the volume knob your using and I really don't know why this value is negative.
Don't you need values in dBu or dBV or when talking about the level of your headphones in dBSPL?

Sorry for my english...

Regards,
Jonas
The stepped attenuator on my amp has 24 steps, 2.5 dB each. I'm assuming the 24th is unattenuated line level @ 2 WPC.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Sound Levels