New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which LOD to get for around 150? - Page 3

post #31 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monkey View Post
I understand and agree with your main point; it is not for us to tell others how little to spend. But the converse is equally true--and unfortunately becoming more prevalent here at Head-Fi--namely, that one MUST spend at least $(insert high amount here) on an LOD in order to get acceptable sound from an iPod. I think that's a myth worth debunking.
Yes, I agree that categorical statements in either direction should be avoided.
post #32 of 63
since we all agree that spending 150 on an LOD is just wayyy too much and unnecessary, are ALO audio mini-mini's a rip off?
post #33 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post
HeadRoom has a decent LOD for about $20. But $150+ would get you very close to a used Sennheiser HD600. That would be a quantum leap in sound quality. It could also get you a used desktop amp or a used Technics SL-1200 turntable. Those would also give you a significant increase in sound quality.
Looks to me like they start around $42+shipping. Is the $20 one on the website?
post #34 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by my.self View Post
since we all agree that spending 150 on an LOD is just wayyy too much and unnecessary, are ALO audio mini-mini's a rip off?
Who said we all agree to that proposition? How can something be a "rip off" if a knowledgeable consumer decides that an ALO mini-mini is worth $150 to him, based on whatever considerations he finds pertinent? Why do we have to reach a collective judgment and impose one set of preferences on everybody else?
post #35 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by senndawg View Post
Looks to me like they start around $42+shipping. Is the $20 one on the website?
They are probably referring to the one below. Personally, I would not want to use that to connect my ipod to my amp, for several reasons, but since all that matters is that we get the cheapest one that works, I guess even the ones at $40 (which is double the cost of this one ) are rip-offs.

SiK White ram din for iPod @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears
post #36 of 63
Has anyone had experience with this one?

Ultra Copper LOD
post #37 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilS View Post
They are probably referring to the one below. Personally, I would not want to use that to connect my ipod to my amp, for several reasons, but since all that matters is that we get the cheapest one that works, I guess even the ones at $40 (which is double the cost of this one ) are rip-offs.

SiK White ram din for iPod @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears
My bad. I read headcoverage rather than headroom...

I suppose many of you have had experience with fatman711 at headcoverage.com, right?
post #38 of 63
I own that one as well as a Qables, a Send Station, the dock that came with my 4G iPod, and a generic dock cable from RAM Electronics (found via a banner add here).

There's not one bit of difference in the sound with any of these cables. The SiK is a pretty good cable and the only cable I've been able to find that allows you to charge and listen at the same time. The Sendstation and Apple dock allow you to charge and listen, but they're not cables. The Sendstation also doesn't work with my case. The SiK is exactly what I would buy if I was in the market for a dock cable.
post #39 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilS View Post
Who said we all agree to that proposition? How can something be a "rip off" if a knowledgeable consumer decides that an ALO mini-mini is worth $150 to him, based on whatever considerations he finds pertinent? Why do we have to reach a collective judgment and impose one set of preferences on everybody else?

Agree and disagree. Agree that not everyone agrees with the proposition that ALO cables are overpriced. While there might be some agreement in this particular thread, there are many who believe that the sonics and aesthetics of such cables are worth it. However, I disagree with the premise that we are dealing with knowledgeable consumers. I think there are many people seeking advice who have been told the functional equivalent of "more expensive and flashy = better." And I personally think that is just plain wrong. Which leads me to my second point of contention. I don't think we should--or can--come to a collective judgment about the value of these things, but informed opinions are certainly useful. Are you suggesting that posters refrain from sharing their opinions about whether they think something is overpriced?
post #40 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by scompton View Post
There's not one bit of difference in the sound with any of these cables.
To you there is not one bit of difference. Is there a difference to others, or is there a difference among other cables to others? Perhaps. Are they just imagining a difference? Perhaps. But everybody is entitled to make their own judgment.
post #41 of 63
Quote:
since we all agree that spending 150 on an LOD is just wayyy too much and unnecessary, are ALO audio mini-mini's a rip off?
IMO yes.

Quote:
Who said we all agree to that proposition? How can something be a "rip off" if a knowledgeable consumer decides that an ALO mini-mini is worth $150 to him, based on whatever considerations he finds pertinent? Why do we have to reach a collective judgment and impose one set of preferences on everybody else?
I think the point is that one who spends $150 on a simply assembled device containing $5-$10 in parts is not a "knowledgeable consumer". And we have to "reach a collective judgment and impose one set of preferences" because that's what specialty on-line forums, with their over-opinionated denizens, are all about.

Quote:
To you there is not one bit of difference. Is there a difference to others, or is there a difference among other cables to others? Perhaps. Are they just imagining a difference? Perhaps. But everybody is entitled to make their own judgment.
Of course everyone is entitled to make their judgments. Cable skeptics don't want to take anything away from anyone other than magical thinking, an example of which is the "belief" that there is a difference between competently designed cables. Why do you think it's always characterized as a matter of faith?
post #42 of 63
Have you heard that cable. If not, you shouldn't imply that it's crappy just because it's cheap.
post #43 of 63
It warms my heart to read threads like this that give people sound advice.

In compliance with PhilS' new rule regarding posting only content that no one can disagree with, I would like to say that $150 is a stupid sum of money to me for 20 minutes of labor and $20 max of parts. I would prefer to support our homegrown boys like Barqy, StevenKelby, or Punnisher and buy a high-quality LOD made by a high-quality individual who will listen to you and make exactly what you want. In my opinion ALO is grossly overpriced, and I'd prefer not to prop up their unsustainable business model of turning some kitchen-table DIY into a 9-5 job. That is my personal opinion, and is therefore inscrutable.
post #44 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monkey View Post
While there might be some agreement in this particular thread, there are many who believe that the sonics and aesthetics of such cables are worth it. However, I disagree with the premise that we are dealing with knowledgeable consumers. I think there are many people seeking advice who have been told the functional equivalent of "more expensive and flashy = better." And I personally think that is just plain wrong.
Agree 100%. That's why I inserted the word "knowledgeable." It was not an assumption on my part. It was a condition to, or limitation on, my statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monkey View Post
Which leads me to my second point of contention. I don't think we should--or can--come to a collective judgment about the value of these things, but informed opinions are certainly useful. Are you suggesting that posters refrain from sharing their opinions about whether they think something is overpriced?
Not at all. And perhaps I'm being overly picky, but you'll find quite a few statements in threads like these they are not expressed as opinions. Many statements are expressed as categorical statements of fact, when there is no basis for stating something as if it is an absolute fact with which no reasonable person could possibly disagree.

And while it is potentially misleading to tell people who may not know any better that "more expensive and flashy = better," it is also potentially misleading to tell people, for example, that (a) any cable that costs more than $x is a "ripoff," or (b) there is absolutely no difference in the sound of any cables because the poster says so based on his experience (and sometimes lack of experience).
post #45 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
It warms my heart to read threads like this that give people sound advice.

In compliance with PhilS' new rule regarding posting only content that no one can disagree with, I would like to say that $150 is a stupid sum of money to me for 20 minutes of labor and $20 max of parts. I would prefer to support our homegrown boys like Barqy, StevenKelby, or Punnisher and buy a high-quality LOD made by a high-quality individual who will listen to you and make exactly what you want. In my opinion ALO is grossly overpriced, and I'd prefer not to prop up their unsustainable business model of turning some kitchen-table DIY into a 9-5 job. That is my personal opinion, and is therefore inscrutable.
For your insertions of the qualifications that it is your opinion only, you win a cookie.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: