Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone um3 vs shure e530 vs triple 10's
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone um3 vs shure e530 vs triple 10's - Page 3

post #31 of 58
even bose reps will say they are crap for the money if you catch them at the wrong/right time; in fact I was just talking about that with my uncle today. My experience with bose goes back about 20yrs not so much with their HP's, but with their components and speakers. To me they lack any body and life. lifestyle LOL. they might be good for listening to classical very quietly; but for anything that is demanding they die in the ass. I've only been a member of head-fi for about 6 months. do you think I just started to form opinions here?? you have got to be joking, i've been making music in my bedroom for 5+ years now and always had good sound around me at home growing up. B&W speakers, denon amp/recievers, NAD CD players. why so testy??. just because your baby is under fire?? Also I havent dissed IE8 at all, in fact if you look a little bit back I say they probably very good, but I havent tried them (maybe that was in another thread) I only dis the people that make comparisons without actually knowing anything about all of the products involved. and I have to say you are starting to fall into this category, because you are very active in these threads about W3; moreso than most W3 owners. and yet you havent even heard them briefly. The only thing bad I have ever said about them (IE8); and made sure to mention that I dont know from personal experience; is that apparently they dont isolate very well.... thats it. In fact earlier on today I posted that I may even pick myself up a pair; because we can get them for really cheap here in OZ at the moment. I think this is funny; because when i'm saying good things about SE530 you are all X2 and all that. but now i'm just giving them A and not A+ you have your nose out of joint. of course if you have a new toy and you like it you are more prone to singing their praises; thats just human nature. and next time I buy something that I like and want to keep I may start picking holes in the W3. Thats just the way it goes. At the moment I like the W3 best for the music I listen to most. yes they have weaknesses; but I have set my system up in a way that they dont show themselves often. I have good amping, my source is about as good as you can get portably (bar picking up a lisa III, which is high on the agenda), cables are made out of the best materials money can buy within reason, I have the best tips available and I listen to primarily very well produced music. so with all that in place they perform better than the SE530 IMO, not by heaps and thats why I still carry the SE530 around with me 90% of the time, but they just havent got much of a look in lately.

oh and BTW do you really think the guys from Ilounge pay for the HP they review LOL thats funny. they would either be given to them by the manufacturer, or bought on the tab; not the reviewer's tab, but the company tab.
post #32 of 58
People, come on, we are talking about headphones here, not people's kids, no need for personal digs.
post #33 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
even bose reps will say they are crap for the money if you catch them at the wrong/right time; in fact I was just talking about that with my uncle today. My experience with bose goes back about 20yrs not so much with their HP's, but with their components and speakers. To me they lack any body and life. lifestyle LOL. they might be good for listening to classical very quietly; but for anything that is demanding they die in the ass. I've only been a member of head-fi for about 6 months. do you think I just started to form opinions here?? you have got to be joking, i've been making music in my bedroom for 5+ years now and always had good sound around me at home growing up. B&W speakers, denon amp/recievers, NAD CD players. why so testy??. just because your baby is under fire?? Also I havent dissed IE8 at all, in fact if you look a little bit back I say they probably very good, but I havent tried them (maybe that was in another thread) I only dis the people that make comparisons without actually knowing anything about all of the products involved. and I have to say you are starting to fall into this category, because you are very active in these threads about W3; moreso than most W3 owners. and yet you havent even heard them briefly. The only thing bad I have ever said about them (IE8); and made sure to mention that I dont know from personal experience; is that apparently they dont isolate very well.... thats it. In fact earlier on today I posted that I may even pick myself up a pair; because we can get them for really cheap here in OZ at the moment. I think this is funny; because when i'm saying good things about SE530 you are all X2 and all that. but now i'm just giving them A and not A+ you have your nose out of joint. of course if you have a new toy and you like it you are more prone to singing their praises; thats just human nature. and next time I buy something that I like and want to keep I may start picking holes in the W3. Thats just the way it goes. At the moment I like the W3 best for the music I listen to most. yes they have weaknesses; but I have set my system up in a way that they dont show themselves often. I have good amping, my source is about as good as you can get portably (bar picking up a lisa III, which is high on the agenda), cables are made out of the best materials money can buy within reason, I have the best tips available and I listen to primarily very well produced music. so with all that in place they perform better than the SE530 IMO, not by heaps and thats why I still carry the SE530 around with me 90% of the time, but they just havent got much of a look in lately.

oh and BTW do you really think the guys from Ilounge pay for the HP they review LOL thats funny. they would either be given to them by the manufacturer, or bought on the tab; not the reviewer's tab, but the company tab.
i never said the reviewers buy the phones but its for this reason their reviews are even fairer, because it isnt based on thier own money. i did get my words wrong thier saying they buy them but ofcourse they dont, but because they dont buy them this is even more reason to trust thier opinion, if they brought a certain headphone and then praised it you would have to question wether its an honest opinion.

i say x2 to shure praises because i agree. and i have not said i dont agree about the westone's being great, they may well be great but the point im making is its just funny how the shures were bashed for being over bassy and yet everyone is saying the westones are more bassy, not only sub bass but everyone is saying the mid bass is emphasised, this usually increases muddy sound. like i said i havnt heard the westone 3's and im pretty sure they will be great but nobody has actually seemed to give an honest opinion yet about the bad points, yes some of you are saying the mid bass is just too much but at the end of the sentence still end up saying they are the best lol thats just strange as everybody on head fi supposedly hates too much mid bass (super fi EB anybody), for some reason its perfect, but going by what people said ages ago about the shures, id say if the westones offered even more bass volume then this isnt exactly good as the shures were criticised for simply having too loud bass. me personally, i love loud bass and as you said before i probably would prefer westone's but even bass lovers appreciate a nice balanced sound when they hear it.

edit: by the way qusp im not referring to you in particular as you have not said the shures are too bassy, but if you were hovering around last year and early 2008 you would have seen that hardcore head fi'ers were in love with the triple fi 10 because the shures were too bassy and apparently muddy, im referring to those that love the westone 3's even tho ''apparently'' the mid bass is even worse.
post #34 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx20001 View Post
shure has already put dedicated low drivers in the se530, if you actually owned the shures you would know this, and for this reason i dont even see how you have owned the shures at all??

it seems you havnt looked into the shure's workings at all have you? shure actually does use a dedicated driver for the lows, in fact it uses 2 and they are both dedicated to bass and bass alone, i dont think you have actually owned the shure's because everybody that has owned them happens to know this fact. even those that dont own them happen to know that.

you talk about the westone's bass like its better in so many ways but so far everybody has said its simply more than the shures, now what im saying is not so long ago everybody was bshing the shures for having too much bass quantity, and because of this the triple fi 10 was better, but now the westone has came along and everybody is saying its got more bass and emphasises the mid bass even more, yet everybody is saying its the best.

im slowly losing faith in people's comments here on head fi because they always just favour the new set of phones on the block, there hasnt been any true A/B comparisons yet that point out the flaws of the westone's properly.

another bad point of the shures was the apparently treble roll off and the fact the bass was too much for the treble to shine, but again the westone apparently boosts the mid bass even more, wouldnt this make them even more bloated and muddy??
Oh gosh, your fanboism is getting out of control. You realize I'm the same guy who posted the direct A/B SE530 vs W3 writeup a page ago, right? You know, the one where I said I preferred the Shure sound.

The W3's bass is amazing. It IS less muddy and more defined than the SE530's. Unlike you I actually own both and thus can compare the two back to back.

Of course I realize the SE530 has two bass drivers. What I said was "Shure needs to to put the same dedicated low range driver that the Westone uses in the SE630." Read that again... as in the EXACT SAME ONE. Or, failing that, tuned the same way. Why? Because it's better.
post #35 of 58
fanboism has nothing to do with it, i am not talking just about you, im talking about everyone.anybody could write up a review of 2 earphones but i like to see pics to know that reviewer actually has both in hand

ok sorry for misreading what you meant, must have read that the wrong way about the dedicated driver
post #36 of 58
you know what ill just chime out i think, and when the westone 4. triple fi 11 or se640 comes out ill come back again for another round lol

i only put up arguements because its amazing how the wheel turns around here. its the same thing everytime a new set of phones comes out, with silly appreciation threads and reviews about how every new phone happens to be the best.

there was a point made a long while back about the quality of phones these days not being an issue but more the issue is what kinda sound you want. i have not seen a thread yet in which anybody has said what sounds good on the westone 3 and what sounds not so good, as usual its just been the usual everything's good, but even the softest of us here on head fi know that it must have weak genres,every set of phones do.the point im making is head fi is starting to become a wheel turning round and round and its becoming a bit silly how people's opinions work. i thought it was clear that all the high end IEM's were equally good and it should be a decision made about what kinda sound you like. but instead there are reviews saying things like ''the westone 3 is better but only by a little'' how can it be a little better, its becoming silly, its clear that it would be a ''little'' better because its new.

examples: UE11, this came out and it was without doubt the best set of phones available, a few months later its back in the dark and nobody really cares, the bass was too much and spoiled the ue10's neutrality.

triple fi 10, this came out and it wacked shure in the chin, it gave us the etymotic highs with the mix of tight bassy lows, mids were fine and these were a fan favourite, then a few months pass by and all of a sudden they dont stand a chance up against the westone's.

sleek sa6, this came out and it was a easy contender for the se530 and triple fi 10, it offered flat sound and tuneable bass and highs, amazing earphones, a few months later and its dissapeared back into the dark, not much more has been said and all of a sudden they arent quite as good and fall apart alot.

westone 3, what do you know, this comes out, everybody hypes it up and it turns out to be again ''the best'', everybody loves them and not everybody has them, now all of a sudden there are a few comments coming out about the bass being brilliant but then others are saying its too much and the mid bass is fairly poor. given a few months this will be just another set of triple driver phones to choose from and everybody will start saying ''its not whats best, but what sound you like best'' again.

now its starting to get a bit boring about the hyping and then loving them at first just to end up being put in the dark just like the others. i think the only set of phones that have truely lived up to being some of the best are the etymotic er4's, they came out many years ago and took the music industry by storm, and still today they are recommended by many as some of the best.
post #37 of 58
Thread Starter 
Well i have made up my mind, and suprisingly none of the above.

FreQ show customs, they have a similar sound signatue to ue11's but a more upfront midrange and a nice treble, i feel this is the iem ive been looking for.

And at $350 who can argue.


Apparently if there's any hiss or a poor source they will pick up on it badly, but that's expected, lucky my s9 has excellent snr so no hiss coming from the headphone jack and with good power output to drive the things.

I can't wait!!

Nice to see such a heated debate and people so passionate about their chosen products, me im simpler, im a performance fanboy so choose whatever is best for me.
post #38 of 58
^^^good choice, remember when your spending that much money its not what is the best, its whats the best for your taste.
post #39 of 58
Not a good choice AT ALL!!: you cant get them at the moment. freqshows that is. you might want to look into that further LOL the rumor is that they MAY be coming back sometime later next year; but that is just a rumour. at the moment they arent taking orders and nobody is getting anything. the hearyourself C3 customs are supo9se to be better anyway. but I see no point in getting a cheap custom. those that also have a high end universal say that the C3, freqshow etc. are not really much if any better than SE530 with UM56 or W3 with UM56. except you can upgrade your IEM's and sell your current ones if you get a universal. this is not an option with customs; you are stuck with them if you like them or not. this is what has kept me from getting some. its not a matter of money. I was on the edge of getting C3 when the W3 came out. but i'm just gonna wait until I can afford/justify UE10-11 before I go full custom.

and the reason that the W3 are still good despite the bass 'hump' (which I dont find to be a problem) is because they have a 3 way crossover so if you dont like it (not the case with me) you can just Eq it out and it doesn't effect the rest of the spectrum. The W3 bass is more controlled, tighter and with more slam than SE530 so even if there is sometimes a touch more than there should be; to me thats not unappealing, Also this means that even if the bass is a little over the top with a certain track, the midrange driver isn't effected at all and still portrays the mids as accurately as if it the bass was perfect. same with the highs. If you actually read my review you will notice that I did actually mention a few short comings; but they dont effect me. if I had the sort of ears that show sibilance with then I might be pissed. but I have the custom tips anyway. if I didnt have a good source or quality rips I might be pissed, but that isnt a problem either. if I didnt have an amp; I might be pissed too. but I do, so thats not a problem. if I was doing a layman's review like ilounge then I might have a different view; but i'm not; so meh ....I dont care what they think. I think you need to wake up and smell the coffee here jinx20001 we are dealing with fallible people making a subjective comparisons between items that rely on subjective judgement. Would you prefer it if people just didnt buy anything new and therefor held the same view so its consistent for you. of course things that are new are going to attract more praise; what would you expect. people get sick of singing the praises of gear they've had for years. and please explain why you cant have something that is a little bit better?? that is one of the silliest things i've ever heard.
post #40 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossnass15 View Post
From the info i gather from threads around here, i can see a fully burned-in ie8 knocking off the w3..
Please do not comment if you do not own any of these earbuds~your comment is not useful and might mislead many people, IE8 have a complete different sound signature...its like BMW and Benz...how does one knock the other off???
post #41 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather225 View Post
Please do not comment if you do not own any of these earbuds~your comment is not useful and might mislead many people, IE8 have a complete different sound signature...its like BMW and Benz...how does one knock the other off???
Dude..i actually own a westone 3 for about a month and have auditioned a fully burned-in ie8...my ie8 is coming next month..
post #42 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossnass15 View Post
Dude..i actually own a westone 3 for about a month and have auditioned a fully burned-in ie8...my ie8 is coming next month..
Well, enjoy, no intension to argue.
post #43 of 58
Wow! Reading this thread for the last several posts made me think I was on some Gamespot forum.

Chill peeps!
post #44 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxley View Post
Nice to see such a heated debate and people so passionate about their chosen products, me im simpler, im a performance fanboy so choose whatever is best for me.
Good point Hux...run what ya brung and keep rockin. I have never lost any sleep worrying about someone bashing my SE530's. I love my SE530's. Grass is always greener though...I suppose...NOT!
post #45 of 58
The W3s are starting to sound like headphones for bassheads - I think the Etys bass is almost enough and very tight, so I think "good bass" would be a matter of taste.

The comments about the artificial sounding midrange is far more important to me, since bass is less significant to me than the midrange and highs. The main IEMs in the W3 price range all have solid bass (none are hurting in that area in other words), so talk to me about midrange and why the W3 can't top the Shures or the highs and why they can't top the Etys in that department for us non bassheads.

I'm waiting to purchase the UE11s, so I have no interest, but wanted to fan the fires a bit... for evil fun
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone um3 vs shure e530 vs triple 10's