Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone um3 vs shure e530 vs triple 10's
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone um3 vs shure e530 vs triple 10's - Page 2

post #16 of 58
jinx20001 you are right they do 'comply' to a certain degree, but nothing like the real 'comply' read my above post I edited it and there is a comment in there for you
post #17 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrnoex View Post
I'm also thinking about getting one of those three. I usually listen to trance and was happy with the analytical sound of my Mylarone X3i but now I can spend some money and want to get the best IE available. What would be the best choice for me? It's gonna be paired with a Meizu M3 + Corda Headsix.
I listen a mostly electronica, techno, trance and electro, with some trip hop and a smattering of pretty much everything else thrown in (absolutely NO country) and IMO the W3 would suit your tastes best, they absolutely excel in electronic music. especially if you are amping
post #18 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
jinx20001 you are right they do 'comply' to a certain degree, but nothing like the real 'comply' read my above post I edited it and there is a comment in there for you
yeh your right i think the westone's would beat the shures when it comes to my preferences, but then again i do enjoy having phones that are a little more balanced aswell with ''enough'' bass to satisfy my needs.

funnily enough i just read the ilounge review on the westone 3 and i couldnt help but think it was a fair review and they certainly hear what you guys hear on here. here have a read i think the result will hurt tho. and ilounge has been bashed before on head fi for publishing a review people on head fi didnt agree with. but to be fair they explain the sound as everybody else has explained it on here so i tend to believe what they say this time at least, maybe i believe it more tho because the result is what i hoped it would be

Review: Westone Westone 3 Three-Way Speaker Earphones | iLounge

and its worth pointing out again that not so long ago all the hardcore folk here on head fi was not impressed with the amount of bass the shures put out, and its strange how they bashed the shures for being too bassy yet the westones put out more and still manage to be better... strange huh
post #19 of 58
To OP,
I'm still waiting for my RE0 to arrive, but not 2 days after making the purchase I'm in the same boat as you: which IEM next, W3 or IE8 or TF10Pro? Initially the IE8 was on top (my own views formed from reading the various threads here), which was great since I'm able to take advantage of the lower price in Australia, but after a while it seemed that most of the later reviews were increasingly negative. Which brings me back to W3 vs. TF10Pro.


Hi qusp,
I like your taste in music; I'm a certified trance addict as well. Are the gains from W3 + amp with electronic music noticeable enough to warrant the added expense and hassle of using an amp? Or do you really have to be paying attention to hear the difference?

Gritt
post #20 of 58
"Despite the concept of its three-way design, in practice, it strongly accentuates the bass and mid-bass, trading the tight, detailed sound of the SE530 for the sort of warm, soft sound we’ve come to expect from Bose."

Ouch.
post #21 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabus9999 View Post
I'm a certified trance addict as well. Are the gains from W3 + amp with electronic music noticeable enough to warrant the added expense and hassle of using an amp? Or do you really have to be paying attention to hear the difference?
I've been using amps for about 2 years and I can say: It pays off! The soundstage with female vocals (like in LOST by DJ Shah) is way better but it depends on which amp you choose. In case of trance it should sound kinda warm.

But let's wait for qusp
post #22 of 58
Bose is mentioned....
post #23 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
signal2noise
bossnass15: I think perhaps you should save your coments for when you have actually tried at least ONE of the IEM's mentioned. I havent heard the IE8 so I wont comment
I actually own the w3s for about a month now. My IE8 should be here come January. What i suggested was just merely a suspect thats all.
post #24 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx20001 View Post
this is a very interesting comment, many people on head fi who are a little hardcore would say the se530 is a little boomy and loud bass presentation, if this is what you found with the westone's and its reasonably true i would imagine some purists here on head fi are really not going to dig the westone 3's.

i do agree that midrange is the most important aspect of music when you are evaluating detail, some people mistake detail as being super clear and tingly treble but fail to realise that detail is most portrayed in the human voice which is found in the mid to low ranges. this is one of the reasons i wasnt fond of the triple fi 10 as the vocals seemed to be behind the powerful instrumental work of say rock for instance.

im not going to comment on the westone 3's qualities or non-qualities because i have not listened to them but its crazy how people outright say they trounce everything else when everybody should have realised by now its not whats best but whats best to you. these competition threads are becoming old and stale very fast and are all a little silly in resolving what is the best, because everybody is going to vote for what they own and what thier ears are used to. the only true comparisons that can be taken seriously are by those that actually own more than one set. but then theres the situation that 80% are going to prefer thier new cans, it was the same when the sleeks came out and now you hardly hear a word spoke about them, hype is a strange thing but once we are over the hype we see these new earphones as just another set of quality IEM's to choose from. thats what i think anyway...
Let me clarify on the bass comment. First off, I do think that the "hardcore" people already are having problems with the amount of W3 bass. If you read some of the threads you'll see people complaining about the mid or upper bass.

That being said, I guess I'm not hardcore enough - because like Qusp I love the Westone 3 bass. I think it is superior to the Shure bass in every way. It goes lower, is better controlled, and hits harder than the SE530. I can see why some people might think it is a bit overwhelming though. It really does add an underlying warmth to every single song you listen to. I just happen to like the warmth it adds.

Shure needs to to put the same dedicated low range driver that the Westone uses in the SE630.
post #25 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
signal2noise

SE530 dont come with any comply you are using the black foamies I think. wait till you try the comply they are not as durable, but superior IMO

...
Oops! You are correct. Looks like I had better order up some Comply's. Either way I'm liking the earphones.
post #26 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabus9999 View Post


Hi qusp,
I like your taste in music; I'm a certified trance addict as well. Are the gains from W3 + amp with electronic music noticeable enough to warrant the added expense and hassle of using an amp? Or do you really have to be paying attention to hear the difference?

Gritt
hey Gritt,

have you seen the transportable rig in my sig??? do you really think I would carry around a rig that wouldnt come close to fitting in cargo pants pockets if there wasnt an improvement?? amping for me is well worth the extra $$$$ (yes that much for the combo of dock and amp easy) and the extra weight and strange looks from commuters. I have been quite vocal on this matter on that thread. it is not night and day difference, but the difference in SQ between the HP out of my iphone 3G (which has quite a good HP out) and my DIYMOD->piccolino VCAP dock->pico-W3 is substantial; (more than the last 10%) dthe dynamics are improved, the bass is tightened up, the mids brought forward and given a bit more texture, the highs given more life and the SOUNDSTAGE OMG the SOUNDSTAGE. simple answer.... YES but dont go expecting the same SQ as you get from a home setup worth the same money; that just isnt goping to happen no matter what money you spend. but you can get as close as you are ever going to get. I carry a bag around with me anyway so it really isnt any drama carrying my rig. and the simple DIYMOD->piccolino LOD/lowpro jena/silver LOD->pico->W3 or even smaller iphone 3G->lowpro jena LOD->pico->W3/SE530 is totally pocketable, even though that rig still comes in at $$$$USD (lucky im good with my hands or it would've been more) the IE8 will also benefit from amping; most dynamics HP's do. as will the triples, but IMO meh who cares; you cant polish a turd.


havent read that review yet; but I dont know if I care too much. the guys at Ilounge wouldnt have the patience to find the right tip and probably arent using an amp. bose LOL as if.

OK bossnass15 cool, but you still havent heard the IE8. i'm sure they sound great; in fact with the price we can get them for here; i'm tempted to grab a set to try them out. I could always sell them on here for a profit
post #27 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensen View Post
Let me clarify on the bass comment. First off, I do think that the "hardcore" people already are having problems with the amount of W3 bass. If you read some of the threads you'll see people complaining about the mid or upper bass.

That being said, I guess I'm not hardcore enough - because like Qusp I love the Westone 3 bass. I think it is superior to the Shure bass in every way. It goes lower, is better controlled, and hits harder than the SE530. I can see why some people might think it is a bit overwhelming though. It really does add an underlying warmth to every single song you listen to. I just happen to like the warmth it adds.

Shure needs to to put the same dedicated low range driver that the Westone uses in the SE630.
shure has already put dedicated low drivers in the se530, if you actually owned the shures you would know this, and for this reason i dont even see how you have owned the shures at all??

it seems you havnt looked into the shure's workings at all have you? shure actually does use a dedicated driver for the lows, in fact it uses 2 and they are both dedicated to bass and bass alone, i dont think you have actually owned the shure's because everybody that has owned them happens to know this fact. even those that dont own them happen to know that.

you talk about the westone's bass like its better in so many ways but so far everybody has said its simply more than the shures, now what im saying is not so long ago everybody was bshing the shures for having too much bass quantity, and because of this the triple fi 10 was better, but now the westone has came along and everybody is saying its got more bass and emphasises the mid bass even more, yet everybody is saying its the best.

im slowly losing faith in people's comments here on head fi because they always just favour the new set of phones on the block, there hasnt been any true A/B comparisons yet that point out the flaws of the westone's properly.

another bad point of the shures was the apparently treble roll off and the fact the bass was too much for the treble to shine, but again the westone apparently boosts the mid bass even more, wouldnt this make them even more bloated and muddy??
post #28 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMusic View Post
"Despite the concept of its three-way design, in practice, it strongly accentuates the bass and mid-bass, trading the tight, detailed sound of the SE530 for the sort of warm, soft sound we’ve come to expect from Bose."

Ouch.
yes i said the same thing, ouch!

i dont expect everybody here on head fi to agree with the reiew at all as we all know westone 3 is the next big thing for now, until the next big thing comes out.

everybody wont agree with the review yet everybody seems to be saying that the westone's do boost the mid bass frequencies so i think the review is pretty accurate.

Toughnut: yes bose is mentioned and how is that a bad thing, people of head fi have gotten into the habbit of bashing bose up to the point where people dont even have to listen to bose products to bash them, i personally have never heard a terrible bose product to be honest, however they do charge so damn much for thier best equipment and i think this is the arguement everybody has against bose, its not that bose is utterly crap, its just they charge too much for only half decent products and they charge a heck of a lot for good stuff when the same quality stuff from other manufacturers can be had for less. if you see what i mean.
post #29 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
hey Gritt,

have you seen the transportable rig in my sig??? do you really think I would carry around a rig that wouldnt come close to fitting in cargo pants pockets if there wasnt an improvement?? amping for me is well worth the extra $$$$ (yes that much for the combo of dock and amp easy) and the extra weight and strange looks from commuters. I have been quite vocal on this matter on that thread. it is not night and day difference, but the difference in SQ between the HP out of my iphone 3G (which has quite a good HP out) and my DIYMOD->piccolino VCAP dock->pico-W3 is substantial; (more than the last 10%) dthe dynamics are improved, the bass is tightened up, the mids brought forward and given a bit more texture, the highs given more life and the SOUNDSTAGE OMG the SOUNDSTAGE. simple answer.... YES but dont go expecting the same SQ as you get from a home setup worth the same money; that just isnt goping to happen no matter what money you spend. but you can get as close as you are ever going to get. I carry a bag around with me anyway so it really isnt any drama carrying my rig. and the simple DIYMOD->piccolino LOD/lowpro jena/silver LOD->pico->W3 or even smaller iphone 3G->lowpro jena LOD->pico->W3/SE530 is totally pocketable, even though that rig still comes in at $$$$USD (lucky im good with my hands or it would've been more) the IE8 will also benefit from amping; most dynamics HP's do. as will the triples, but IMO meh who cares; you cant polish a turd.


havent read that review yet; but I dont know if I care too much. the guys at Ilounge wouldnt have the patience to find the right tip and probably arent using an amp. bose LOL as if.

OK bossnass15 cool, but you still havent heard the IE8. i'm sure they sound great; in fact with the price we can get them for here; i'm tempted to grab a set to try them out. I could always sell them on here for a profit

you havnt read the review yet because your afraid of knowing the result, its this ignorance the curses head fi, because the westone 3 is your new toy your very unlikely to favour anything else until the westone hype has died down, so if somebody says the sennheiser IE8's are better your quick to dismiss it, i trust professional reviews from ilounge more than i do people on head fi lately because i know for a fact ilounge has got the other phones to compare them too, i know for a fact ilounge has purchased UE11's and have tested them, and for somebody to purchase phones that expensive and say they are not very good is very brave and i believe them because ordinary folk on head fi who own the ue11 would never say they arent very good because its thier very expensive toys they just brought.

you say ilounge probably hasnt amped them and your probably right, but im glad about this like many other people because not many folk use amps at all, including me, IEM's are designed to be portable and amping buggers this up, so having a review straight out of an ipod touch is very realistic and true to what most people will be using.

and your another one that slags bose because the whole of head fi does it, what bose equipment have you used that is utter rubbish, please do tell us, because as i have said earlier i dont think bose is rubbish stuff, just overpriced. your so wrapped up in the westone being the best that you dont even want to read a review in which they lose out to the competition ahhh dont it hurt...
post #30 of 58
no a hadnt read the review yet because I posted that from my iphone at a boxing day barbeque. i'll do it now. I dont give a toss what they or you or anyone say about them for me at this very point they are the best phones that I have. and tghats sayiung a lot because you know how much I loved the shures. its just now all of a sudden i'm not saying the SE530 is the best anymore. this opinion may change. more than likely it will, but its not going to be because I read a review from a magazine that doesnt test anything under the best conditions. hell they said UE11 was crap
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone um3 vs shure e530 vs triple 10's