Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iPod 5.5G Hard Drive Upgrade
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPod 5.5G Hard Drive Upgrade - Page 2

post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjchang View Post
i am actually guessing the ZUNE uses the ZIF connector natively, yes?
Depends. I believe the 80GB / 120GB does, but the drive used may be 5mm or 8mm (I'm not 100% sure, as I don't own one). The 160GB probably uses a CE-ATA connector (same goes for the 160GB iPod).

This is a pretty good chart that gives a breakdown of what 1.8" drives exist:

HardDriveReplacement < Main < TWiki
post #17 of 25
BUMP!

I remember reading that 30gb 5/5.5g ipods have a different logic board then the 80gb 5.5g ipods. Something about less ram on the 30gb or something? So if we want to upgrade the hard drive of a 30gb 5g would it be better just to upgrade to an 80gb ipod instead and then use that logic board?

Can anyone chime in on this?
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoNtO View Post
BUMP!

I remember reading that 30gb 5/5.5g ipods have a different logic board then the 80gb 5.5g ipods. Something about less ram on the 30gb or something? So if we want to upgrade the hard drive of a 30gb 5g would it be better just to upgrade to an 80gb ipod instead and then use that logic board?

Can anyone chime in on this?
There are a few differences:

- 30GB has a 5mm drive, 60/80GB has a 8mm drive. So, the back covers are different.
- 30GB has a 32MB RAM chip, 60/80GB has a 64MB RAM chip.
- The headphone / hold button components are slightly different between the two.

I also believe the batteries are different.
post #19 of 25
Well the back plates don't matter cuz you can change those. The headphone/hold doesn't matter. Battery can be upgraded with a different backplate that offers more space.

So the real question is what are the differences between having 32 and 64mb of ram when using a 120gb upgrade hard drive?

Does it really matter THAT much?
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoNtO View Post
Well the back plates don't matter cuz you can change those. The headphone/hold doesn't matter. Battery can be upgraded with a different backplate that offers more space.

So the real question is what are the differences between having 32 and 64mb of ram when using a 120gb upgrade hard drive?

Does it really matter THAT much?
I googled this some months back (as I was considering the same upgrade). tmk, it doesn't matter. All you need is a new back cover, battery, and a replacement hold/headphone jack. I never actually did the upgrade, however.
post #21 of 25

Bump to see what currently is available for the greatest ipod ever :)  !

 

 

bob

post #22 of 25

I've been reading up on this and there are plenty of guides on how to do this yourself, but there is some discrepancy over the maximum HDD you can use, especially with the 30gb iPod 5.5, which is what I have. You can fit a 240gb drive and can find them on ebay with this model included on the compatibilty list, but there seem to be problems with the iPod recognising all the songs. Its not 100% clear what the biggest drive you can use in the 30gb model with it fully working, I've seen 80 and 120gb mentioned. Many of these threads are quite old now, so I'm hoping that there may be a way to use a bigger drive with some firmware etc tweeks. Anyone?

post #23 of 25
I bought a 240Gb Toshiba drive.from idemigods.com and it installed in my 80Gb 5.5G with no dramas. I can't comment on track finding issues with 30Gb model, but wonder if Rockbox might be a solution.
post #24 of 25

Thanks for your reply and sorry I didn't get back sooner, I hadn't noticed this until now.

 

How many songs have you got on the 240gb drive? From what I have read, I think there are issues when you get over a certain number of songs, rather than the amount of memory they take up.

post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyb View Post

Thanks for your reply and sorry I didn't get back sooner, I hadn't noticed this until now.

How many songs have you got on the 240gb drive? From what I have read, I think there are issues when you get over a certain number of songs, rather than the amount of memory they take up.

No worries. I have around 5000 tracks on there with no troubles using Rockbox. I've used the iOS briefly, but not long enough to say for sure that it works.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iPod 5.5G Hard Drive Upgrade