Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iPod 5.5G Hard Drive Upgrade
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPod 5.5G Hard Drive Upgrade

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Hi, looking to find a hard drive replacement for 5.5G iPod, for bigger storage. Can you recommend particular models which will work? I heard there is a Toshiba PATA drive that is 240GB... wonder if this works? Thanks, guys.
post #2 of 25
I've recently replaced the hard drive in my 5.5g with a 120gb Samsung HS122JC. There is also someone selling a 240gb for the 5th generation here:

iPOD VIDEO HARD DRIVES: RapidRepair
post #3 of 25
I was looking into this as well, though it seems too costly. If you get a bigger HD, you'd need to purchase a new back panel as well due to the increase in thickness. $179.99+$39.99=$220.00+s/h. Aren't we just better off getting a new iPod?
Good Luck & Merry Christmas
Headphile808
post #4 of 25
I only paid $100.00 + $7.00 for shipping, I then sold the old parts for $20.00 which bought my total cost to $87.00. I purchased my drive off ebay where at the time the seller had many drives to sell. Please look here:

Samsung Spinpoint 120 GB 1.8" Hard Drive HS122JC NEW - eBay (item 300275653392 end time Nov-27-08 08:30:39 PST)
post #5 of 25
The seller now has the Toshiba version on ebay at the same price that he was selling the Samsung for.
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelousmarvyd View Post
I've recently replaced the hard drive in my 5.5g with a 120gb Samsung HS122JC. There is also someone selling a 240gb for the 5th generation here:

iPOD VIDEO HARD DRIVES: RapidRepair
240GB Hard Drive for iPod/Zune (MK2431GAH) is not available now. I have never seen this on the market. I want to buy one if it is released.
post #7 of 25
The seller has it on their website to where you can be notified once the 240gb drives come in.
post #8 of 25
l
Quote:
240GB Hard Drive for iPod/Zune (MK2431GAH) is not available now. I have never seen this on the market. I want to buy one if it is released.
I've asked Toshiba Europe about it and they've said that MK2431GAH will be available in retail in january.
post #9 of 25

Me too

Me Too! Me Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertgfdsa View Post
240GB Hard Drive for iPod/Zune (MK2431GAH) is not available now. I have never seen this on the market. I want to buy one if it is released.
post #10 of 25
Thread Starter 
Awesome. I can't imagine the Toshiba 240 gigger to cost anything less than an arm and a leg, but this here being head-fi, I'm sure one of you intrepid souls will make the plunge, right?
post #11 of 25
I doubt if the price will go above $200
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelousmarvyd View Post
I only paid $100.00 + $7.00 for shipping, I then sold the old parts for $20.00 which bought my total cost to $87.00. I purchased my drive off ebay where at the time the seller had many drives to sell. Please look here:

Samsung Spinpoint 120 GB 1.8" Hard Drive HS122JC NEW - eBay (item 300275653392 end time Nov-27-08 08:30:39 PST)
can i take this and stick it in my zune, and it will start right up? how does the drive come formatted?

i'm talking about the toshiba one he has on sale now
post #13 of 25
That same eBay seller ("com72spaceboy") is selling a few Toshiba 120GB 1.8' ZIF drives (model MK1214GAH) for $107 w/shipping. That's actually a very good price, assuming it's new.

As for compatibility, I know it will work on a Gigabeat F series (with a DealExtreme ZIF adapter - see other posts or the Rockbox wiki for more details). Also, that drive can be used to upgrade a Gigabeat S series. It's 8mm thick, so the newer Zune / iPod's may be too thin to take that drive.
post #14 of 25
240GB! Now that's what I'm talking about. 8 times more than I have now (see sig). Which justifies an upgrade to be worthwhile for the price IMO. Can't wait until they come out. Imagine all the ALAC/FLAC files you could put on there. I want one!
Good Luck & Happy New Year
Headphile808
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by roebeet View Post
That same eBay seller ("com72spaceboy") is selling a few Toshiba 120GB 1.8' ZIF drives (model MK1214GAH) for $107 w/shipping. That's actually a very good price, assuming it's new.

As for compatibility, I know it will work on a Gigabeat F series (with a DealExtreme ZIF adapter - see other posts or the Rockbox wiki for more details). Also, that drive can be used to upgrade a Gigabeat S series. It's 8mm thick, so the newer Zune / iPod's may be too thin to take that drive.
i am actually guessing the ZUNE uses the ZIF connector natively, yes?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iPod 5.5G Hard Drive Upgrade