what amp are you using? i am still finding one that is reasonably good but cheaper than yamamoto and HA5000!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 8/9/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-A2000X (Japan Import)tagged by System, 5/11/11
- productAudio Technica W11JPNtagged by System, 5/11/11
- productAudio Technica W5000tagged by System, 5/11/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/11/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 5/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- Improving ATH-W5000 seal, bass & isolation with bigger/thicker pads? Last post on 3/10/14 at 12:47pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Best Headphones for me Last post on 12/27/12 at 12:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- need some help choosing my new pair of headphones Last post on 7/26/11 at 9:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- BEST closed back headphone for classical music Last post on 12/18/11 at 4:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The Numbering Disease: Where Skullcandy and Monster Win Last post on 5/28/13 at 12:11am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Vibro Labs Aria (universal) – initial impressions In my travels on Head-Fi over the last year or so, Vibro Labs is a name I had heard bandied around in various forums, mainly as makers of...
Alright, these are the most confusing set of cans I've ever owned. Why are they so cheap? It doesn't make any sense. Right out of the gate, these are the most comfortable set of headphones...
These are easily my favorite headphones I own. My review will be assuming you have Shure 1540 pads, but I'll go over some other options as well. Lets get the big negative out of the way now....
AK Audio Super Dolphin 6BASticking a Dolphin in your ears! DisclaimerThe Super Dolphin 6BA is a loaner unit provided in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion. I have tried my best to...
This is an excellent pair of headphones, sound is very clear, and the looks are impressive. I am disappointed with the padding, hurts to wear in less then 15 minutes. Pads can be replaced though....
audio-technica ATH-A2000X - Page 19post #271 of 3985/9/11 at 5:25pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #272 of 3985/19/11 at 11:13amQuote:
Is a 220V version HA5000, it was some "copy" but the boards are different but sounds the same and its 220V.post #273 of 3985/21/11 at 9:22am
It has been a while since I posted any more updates since being the proud owner of the AT a2000x headphones.
It has been a few weeks of listening and experimenting with two different headphone amps: Graham slee voyager and the meier stepdance.
When I first began listening to these headphones the highs were too high pitch to the point of being almost irritating.
This has miraculously disappeared now with use.
The headphones though are fantastic. Exceptional clarity with fantastic soundstage with the only criticism being is the bass response. Its too light but still acceptable.
Now, after listening to the headphones through both amps, it is hard to decide which one sounds better.
The sound quality and depth is so close that it would take a very highly trained ear to pick out any difference if any.
I used the same track which is a pan pipe instrumental version of the song "lady in red" which also contains other instruments and is also a high quality recording.
After listening to it with the two amps my conclusion is this.
I found the step dance to have slightly more emphasis on the low end frequency range but could not match the graham slee in the mids and highs.
However on a track with more bass such as michael jackson's "jam", the stepdance was better suited but I still found the graham slee bought out the mids and vocals better but doesn't mean it was more pleasant to listen to.
I believe its song dependent. They are both fantastic amps and would recommend either one.
It would be interesting if someone could do the same comparison as mine with these two amps and write their conclusions on what they think.
cheers!!post #274 of 3988/6/11 at 7:13ampost #275 of 3988/6/11 at 7:48am
A few quick questions.
1. What are the drivers made out of?
2. Recommend an Amp (or a Dac/Amp) to me? Not overly expensive, but willing to make an investment if it's worth it, ideally I'm looking for an amp with a unique synergy with the A2000X.
Currently I'm using the Teclast T51 (S:Flo 2) headphone-out jack, which is "Main: Rockchip RK2806, DAC: Wolfson WM8740SEDS 9AAASCF x 2, Headphone-out: Philips TDA1308, Line-out: Texas Instruments OPA2604"
I tried a $628 USD portable tube amplifier, and was not impressed with the sound!
I tried the Yulong U100 Dac/Amp yesterday, and was not impressed with the sound! The result is my laptop sound-card (Sony Vaio VPCCW15FX) and the Teclast T51 sound better than the U100, The U100 has a much higher volume, and that's it, I'm disappointed, the signature becomes too flat, digitized, and a little forward and bright, which accentuates regions in the FR of the A2000X that should be left alone, most of all vocals suffer, and the transferral of intimacy completely evaporates.
I'm enjoying these out of my sound-card (volume is lower than ideal though) and the Teclast T51, but please help, I want to return/sell the Yulong and find something ideal, I don't care about my IEM's, I just want a killer amp specifically for the A2000X. Or a killer DAC/Amp combo, since I was quite disappointed in the Yulong (with very good reviews) I don't know where to look now! For the moment, I have my eye on the Fostex HP-A3, and the Fostex HP-A7 (looks very pretty, but has received controversial reviews in Japan, and pretty expensive, really stretching there).
Edited by kiteki - 8/6/11 at 9:26ampost #276 of 3988/6/11 at 11:24ampost #277 of 3988/6/11 at 11:34ampost #278 of 3988/6/11 at 12:17pmQuote:
The box also talks about magnetized cobalt and iron alloy, ceramics, titanium, and magnesium alloy.
I understand that the voice coils are 7N copper, sorry, my question was actually meant to be what is the diaphragm in these made of? Does anyone know?post #279 of 3988/6/11 at 2:02pm
The diaphragm is some thin, durable polymer, I think. Same for any headphone.
The magnesium alloy is what the rest of the headphone is made out of, except for the titanium cups, earpads, and headband (metal part). Magnesium alloy prevents resonances and what not for maximum sound quality, but because the headphone uses so much of it, the price is a bit steep. Magnetized cobalt and iron alloy? The baffle possibly? Driver encapsulation? It is metal, but I know nothing beyond that. Ceramic? I don't know. I also cannot find where it says these things you say. Is it in the Japanese text?
Edited by Mad Max - 8/6/11 at 2:03pmpost #280 of 3988/6/11 at 2:49pm
It says, in english "*1 Permendur is magnetized alloy of cobalt and iron that enhanced sound quality."
Ceramics I read in a Japanese review.
As for the diaphragm, I was just curious if it was bio-cellulose by any chance, because when I took an earpad off and tried to look at it, it did look a bit like bio-cellulose, and that would help explain the "sanctity" and "euphoria" of the sound-quality a little.... perchance. ;)
I never should have bought that ******* Etymotic ER-4PT, blocked my right ear, then I tried to fix my ear with a q-tip, now I'm getting an ear-infection I think, listening to the A2000X with 60% of my hearing or so =/..... still sounds amazing though.
Probably going to sell the Etymotic and J-phonic and buy a real killer amplifier for these.... any ideas?post #281 of 3988/6/11 at 3:08pmpost #282 of 3988/6/11 at 4:07pmpost #283 of 3988/6/11 at 4:43pmpost #284 of 3988/6/11 at 5:05pm
- audio-technica ATH-A2000X
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Q: High gain? Low gain? Quality difference? 1 minute ago
- › Meizu MX4 Pro HiFi phone 1 minute ago
- › New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition] 1 minute ago
- › Valhalla 2 review coming soon! 3 minutes ago
- › Westone W60 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Prog rock 5 minutes ago
- › Just questioning/inner talking about the AKG K712 Pro . Not owning... 5 minutes ago
- › Fiio X3ii vs Sony NWZ-A15/A17 - A Comparison 6 minutes ago
- › Koss UR55...unbearably bright and harsh?! 6 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 7 minutes ago
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by Jackpot77
- › Philips SHP9500 by reikoshea
- › Fostex T50RP MK3 Professional Studio Headphones, Semi-Open by reikoshea
- › Super Dolphin 6BA by RedJohn456
- › HE-5LE by audiophilehe400
- › Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer by artofmanliness
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by reikoshea
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...