what amp are you using? i am still finding one that is reasonably good but cheaper than yamamoto and HA5000!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 8/9/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-A2000X (Japan Import)tagged by System, 5/11/11
- productAudio Technica W11JPNtagged by System, 5/11/11
- productAudio Technica W5000tagged by System, 5/11/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/11/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 5/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- Improving ATH-W5000 seal, bass & isolation with bigger/thicker pads? Last post on 3/10/14 at 12:47pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Best Headphones for me Last post on 12/27/12 at 12:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- need some help choosing my new pair of headphones Last post on 7/26/11 at 9:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- BEST closed back headphone for classical music Last post on 12/18/11 at 4:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The Numbering Disease: Where Skullcandy and Monster Win Last post on 5/28/13 at 12:11am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I bought this headphone as part of a search for an birthday present for my little brother (going for that brother of the year award, he deserved it). I tested and listened to the DT 770 pro 32 ohm...
Intro/Setup The full-size closed under $200 category is a very popular one among pro’s and casual listeners alike. The most similar competitor to this I own is the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro...
Fantastic sound quality! Very clean, detailed and balanced sound. Really strong power for high impedance headphones. Best buy until US 250,00.. It can drive easily my AKG K702 (famous for being...
Great sound, strong bass, great construct quality, very confortable, warm sound. This is a real overall headphone. Everything will sound good on it (not a real reference headphone). Fantastic for...
Great sound, great tone, very well balanced, very clean, great bass (not lacking), detailed sound. Everything sounds great on the SENNHEISER HD 598.
audio-technica ATH-A2000X - Page 19post #271 of 3825/9/11 at 5:25pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #272 of 3825/19/11 at 11:13amQuote:
Is a 220V version HA5000, it was some "copy" but the boards are different but sounds the same and its 220V.post #273 of 3825/21/11 at 9:22am
It has been a while since I posted any more updates since being the proud owner of the AT a2000x headphones.
It has been a few weeks of listening and experimenting with two different headphone amps: Graham slee voyager and the meier stepdance.
When I first began listening to these headphones the highs were too high pitch to the point of being almost irritating.
This has miraculously disappeared now with use.
The headphones though are fantastic. Exceptional clarity with fantastic soundstage with the only criticism being is the bass response. Its too light but still acceptable.
Now, after listening to the headphones through both amps, it is hard to decide which one sounds better.
The sound quality and depth is so close that it would take a very highly trained ear to pick out any difference if any.
I used the same track which is a pan pipe instrumental version of the song "lady in red" which also contains other instruments and is also a high quality recording.
After listening to it with the two amps my conclusion is this.
I found the step dance to have slightly more emphasis on the low end frequency range but could not match the graham slee in the mids and highs.
However on a track with more bass such as michael jackson's "jam", the stepdance was better suited but I still found the graham slee bought out the mids and vocals better but doesn't mean it was more pleasant to listen to.
I believe its song dependent. They are both fantastic amps and would recommend either one.
It would be interesting if someone could do the same comparison as mine with these two amps and write their conclusions on what they think.
cheers!!post #274 of 3828/6/11 at 7:13ampost #275 of 3828/6/11 at 7:48am
A few quick questions.
1. What are the drivers made out of?
2. Recommend an Amp (or a Dac/Amp) to me? Not overly expensive, but willing to make an investment if it's worth it, ideally I'm looking for an amp with a unique synergy with the A2000X.
Currently I'm using the Teclast T51 (S:Flo 2) headphone-out jack, which is "Main: Rockchip RK2806, DAC: Wolfson WM8740SEDS 9AAASCF x 2, Headphone-out: Philips TDA1308, Line-out: Texas Instruments OPA2604"
I tried a $628 USD portable tube amplifier, and was not impressed with the sound!
I tried the Yulong U100 Dac/Amp yesterday, and was not impressed with the sound! The result is my laptop sound-card (Sony Vaio VPCCW15FX) and the Teclast T51 sound better than the U100, The U100 has a much higher volume, and that's it, I'm disappointed, the signature becomes too flat, digitized, and a little forward and bright, which accentuates regions in the FR of the A2000X that should be left alone, most of all vocals suffer, and the transferral of intimacy completely evaporates.
I'm enjoying these out of my sound-card (volume is lower than ideal though) and the Teclast T51, but please help, I want to return/sell the Yulong and find something ideal, I don't care about my IEM's, I just want a killer amp specifically for the A2000X. Or a killer DAC/Amp combo, since I was quite disappointed in the Yulong (with very good reviews) I don't know where to look now! For the moment, I have my eye on the Fostex HP-A3, and the Fostex HP-A7 (looks very pretty, but has received controversial reviews in Japan, and pretty expensive, really stretching there).
Edited by kiteki - 8/6/11 at 9:26ampost #276 of 3828/6/11 at 11:24ampost #277 of 3828/6/11 at 11:34ampost #278 of 3828/6/11 at 12:17pmQuote:
The box also talks about magnetized cobalt and iron alloy, ceramics, titanium, and magnesium alloy.
I understand that the voice coils are 7N copper, sorry, my question was actually meant to be what is the diaphragm in these made of? Does anyone know?post #279 of 3828/6/11 at 2:02pm
The diaphragm is some thin, durable polymer, I think. Same for any headphone.
The magnesium alloy is what the rest of the headphone is made out of, except for the titanium cups, earpads, and headband (metal part). Magnesium alloy prevents resonances and what not for maximum sound quality, but because the headphone uses so much of it, the price is a bit steep. Magnetized cobalt and iron alloy? The baffle possibly? Driver encapsulation? It is metal, but I know nothing beyond that. Ceramic? I don't know. I also cannot find where it says these things you say. Is it in the Japanese text?
Edited by Mad Max - 8/6/11 at 2:03pmpost #280 of 3828/6/11 at 2:49pm
It says, in english "*1 Permendur is magnetized alloy of cobalt and iron that enhanced sound quality."
Ceramics I read in a Japanese review.
As for the diaphragm, I was just curious if it was bio-cellulose by any chance, because when I took an earpad off and tried to look at it, it did look a bit like bio-cellulose, and that would help explain the "sanctity" and "euphoria" of the sound-quality a little.... perchance. ;)
I never should have bought that ******* Etymotic ER-4PT, blocked my right ear, then I tried to fix my ear with a q-tip, now I'm getting an ear-infection I think, listening to the A2000X with 60% of my hearing or so =/..... still sounds amazing though.
Probably going to sell the Etymotic and J-phonic and buy a real killer amplifier for these.... any ideas?post #281 of 3828/6/11 at 3:08pmpost #282 of 3828/6/11 at 4:07pmpost #283 of 3828/6/11 at 4:43pmpost #284 of 3828/6/11 at 5:05pm
- audio-technica ATH-A2000X
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz) 2 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod 3 minutes ago
- › ALO Audio - RX MK3 B balanced portable headphone amp 4 minutes ago
- › Speakers In Use With Schiit Ragnarok 5 minutes ago
- › One USB HUB to Rule Them All 5 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 6 minutes ago
- › ***Pristine Sennheiser HD600 - Phenomenal Value and Terrific... 8 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 21 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 25th, 2015) 22 minutes ago
- › PSB M4U 1 by squee116
- › Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Limited Edition 32 Ohm by goropeza
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by rigodeni
- › Matrix M-Stage by Johannus
- › Pioneer HDJ-2000 Reference Professional Dj Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Johannus
- › AKG K 702 Black by Johannus
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser RS 185 RF Wireless Headphone System by mark2410
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2