what amp are you using? i am still finding one that is reasonably good but cheaper than yamamoto and HA5000!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 8/9/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-A2000X (Japan Import)tagged by System, 5/11/11
- productAudio Technica W11JPNtagged by System, 5/11/11
- productAudio Technica W5000tagged by System, 5/11/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/11/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 5/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- Improving ATH-W5000 seal, bass & isolation with bigger/thicker pads? Last post on 3/10/14 at 12:47pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Best Headphones for me Last post on 12/27/12 at 12:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- need some help choosing my new pair of headphones Last post on 7/26/11 at 9:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- BEST closed back headphone for classical music Last post on 12/18/11 at 4:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The Numbering Disease: Where Skullcandy and Monster Win Last post on 5/28/13 at 12:11am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S Quick Review Thanks to Hifiheadphones for the sample. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/770243/soundmagic-e50-e50s-review-by-mark2410 Brief: A middy...
Before I get into my review, some disclosure: I received a free loaner unit as part of a mini North American tour, set up and sponsored by @EmpJ of CTC Audio. I got to keep the unit for a...
First off, I want to thank Brainwavz and Audrey for this BLU-100 unit. Packaging and Accessories I received the BLU-100 before its release and it came in the Brainwavz iem case without...
These have been the best headphones I have used for $99. For the few weeks they worked, it was amazing. Unfortunately, after a few weeks, the right earcup detached from the headband. They seem to...
It was a long time since I orignally intended to write this review as I wanted to check black Velvet in addition to the Crystal velvet I've had. You can find a lot of impression on Head-fi...
audio-technica ATH-A2000X - Page 19post #271 of 3825/9/11 at 5:25pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #272 of 3825/19/11 at 11:13amQuote:
Is a 220V version HA5000, it was some "copy" but the boards are different but sounds the same and its 220V.post #273 of 3825/21/11 at 9:22am
It has been a while since I posted any more updates since being the proud owner of the AT a2000x headphones.
It has been a few weeks of listening and experimenting with two different headphone amps: Graham slee voyager and the meier stepdance.
When I first began listening to these headphones the highs were too high pitch to the point of being almost irritating.
This has miraculously disappeared now with use.
The headphones though are fantastic. Exceptional clarity with fantastic soundstage with the only criticism being is the bass response. Its too light but still acceptable.
Now, after listening to the headphones through both amps, it is hard to decide which one sounds better.
The sound quality and depth is so close that it would take a very highly trained ear to pick out any difference if any.
I used the same track which is a pan pipe instrumental version of the song "lady in red" which also contains other instruments and is also a high quality recording.
After listening to it with the two amps my conclusion is this.
I found the step dance to have slightly more emphasis on the low end frequency range but could not match the graham slee in the mids and highs.
However on a track with more bass such as michael jackson's "jam", the stepdance was better suited but I still found the graham slee bought out the mids and vocals better but doesn't mean it was more pleasant to listen to.
I believe its song dependent. They are both fantastic amps and would recommend either one.
It would be interesting if someone could do the same comparison as mine with these two amps and write their conclusions on what they think.
cheers!!post #274 of 3828/6/11 at 7:13ampost #275 of 3828/6/11 at 7:48am
A few quick questions.
1. What are the drivers made out of?
2. Recommend an Amp (or a Dac/Amp) to me? Not overly expensive, but willing to make an investment if it's worth it, ideally I'm looking for an amp with a unique synergy with the A2000X.
Currently I'm using the Teclast T51 (S:Flo 2) headphone-out jack, which is "Main: Rockchip RK2806, DAC: Wolfson WM8740SEDS 9AAASCF x 2, Headphone-out: Philips TDA1308, Line-out: Texas Instruments OPA2604"
I tried a $628 USD portable tube amplifier, and was not impressed with the sound!
I tried the Yulong U100 Dac/Amp yesterday, and was not impressed with the sound! The result is my laptop sound-card (Sony Vaio VPCCW15FX) and the Teclast T51 sound better than the U100, The U100 has a much higher volume, and that's it, I'm disappointed, the signature becomes too flat, digitized, and a little forward and bright, which accentuates regions in the FR of the A2000X that should be left alone, most of all vocals suffer, and the transferral of intimacy completely evaporates.
I'm enjoying these out of my sound-card (volume is lower than ideal though) and the Teclast T51, but please help, I want to return/sell the Yulong and find something ideal, I don't care about my IEM's, I just want a killer amp specifically for the A2000X. Or a killer DAC/Amp combo, since I was quite disappointed in the Yulong (with very good reviews) I don't know where to look now! For the moment, I have my eye on the Fostex HP-A3, and the Fostex HP-A7 (looks very pretty, but has received controversial reviews in Japan, and pretty expensive, really stretching there).
Edited by kiteki - 8/6/11 at 9:26ampost #276 of 3828/6/11 at 11:24ampost #277 of 3828/6/11 at 11:34ampost #278 of 3828/6/11 at 12:17pmQuote:
The box also talks about magnetized cobalt and iron alloy, ceramics, titanium, and magnesium alloy.
I understand that the voice coils are 7N copper, sorry, my question was actually meant to be what is the diaphragm in these made of? Does anyone know?post #279 of 3828/6/11 at 2:02pm
The diaphragm is some thin, durable polymer, I think. Same for any headphone.
The magnesium alloy is what the rest of the headphone is made out of, except for the titanium cups, earpads, and headband (metal part). Magnesium alloy prevents resonances and what not for maximum sound quality, but because the headphone uses so much of it, the price is a bit steep. Magnetized cobalt and iron alloy? The baffle possibly? Driver encapsulation? It is metal, but I know nothing beyond that. Ceramic? I don't know. I also cannot find where it says these things you say. Is it in the Japanese text?
Edited by Mad Max - 8/6/11 at 2:03pmpost #280 of 3828/6/11 at 2:49pm
It says, in english "*1 Permendur is magnetized alloy of cobalt and iron that enhanced sound quality."
Ceramics I read in a Japanese review.
As for the diaphragm, I was just curious if it was bio-cellulose by any chance, because when I took an earpad off and tried to look at it, it did look a bit like bio-cellulose, and that would help explain the "sanctity" and "euphoria" of the sound-quality a little.... perchance. ;)
I never should have bought that ******* Etymotic ER-4PT, blocked my right ear, then I tried to fix my ear with a q-tip, now I'm getting an ear-infection I think, listening to the A2000X with 60% of my hearing or so =/..... still sounds amazing though.
Probably going to sell the Etymotic and J-phonic and buy a real killer amplifier for these.... any ideas?post #281 of 3828/6/11 at 3:08pmpost #282 of 3828/6/11 at 4:07pmpost #283 of 3828/6/11 at 4:43pmpost #284 of 3828/6/11 at 5:05pm
- audio-technica ATH-A2000X
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › ZuperDac Crowd Funding. 2 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 8 seconds ago
- › Questyle QP1 27 seconds ago
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 49 seconds ago
- › Objectivists board room 59 seconds ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 1 minute ago
- › Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions 1 minute ago
- › Looking to upgrade to orthos 2 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Aune B1 Impressions & Appreciation thread 2 minutes ago
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by mark2410
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by hakushondaimao
- › Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEMs by kova4a
- › Grado Labs SR80e by SeraphSolus
- › EarSonics Velvet by LMka
- › Audio-Technica In-Ear Headphones ATH-CKR9 (Japan Import) by peter123
- › Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 Studio - Headphones ( in-ear ear-bud ) -... by Lewzke
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by chowmein83
- › Alclair Curve by Brooko
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by wofsie
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2