New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stax - Page 4

post #46 of 173
...If you think Nirvana sounds good on a K701, then yeah, I'd say you're ready for Stax.
post #47 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDL-speakers View Post
Good for you


My whole system,

TDL Studio 0.75 M speakers
NAD C272 Poweramp
Rotel RC-03 Preamp
Michell Syncro/Rega RB250/Denon DL110 cartridge.


If you had a system like this, what Stax system would you reckon will go good with it?
The first thing I would do would be do what I did. Since you already have an amp, I would get myself a SRD-7 Pro (or some other transformer box of some vintage) and find a Lambda or purchase either the 303 or 404 earspeakers new or find one for sale. This would introduce you to the electrostatic world and then decide if this is a world you would want to go further into as I have.

The transformer boxes are very nice and allow you to get into the Stax world fairly inexpensively. These boxes are sold fairly frequently around here. People use them as entry level drugs so to speak.

My very first foray into the electrostatic world was with a SRX-001 and a Fitz modified transformer box made into am amp. I moved from there to the SRD-7 Pro and SR-Gamma and SRM-001 Mk2 Pro. The best of these were the combination of the SRX-001 and SRM-001. I learned for myself that I enjoyed the direct amplification of the electrostatic headphone over the transformer after all this. But many would be very happy settling with that SRX-001 and SRM-001. They had very good synergy together. I sold all of these and some other stuff when I went for the KGSS and SR-007MkII. I started this journey back in March 08 and ended with the KGSS and Omega sometime in September. All I wanted back in March was to get a taste of Stax with that starter set and I had a hard fall for them as you can see.
post #48 of 173
Thread Starter 
I'd say you're ready for Stax. [/QUOTE]



Are You sure about that mate
post #49 of 173
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slwiser View Post
The first thing I would do would be do what I did. Since you already have an amp, I would get myself a SRD-7 Pro (or some other transformer box of some vintage) and find a Lambda or purchase either the 303 or 404 earspeakers new or find one for sale. This would introduce you to the electrostatic world and then decide if this is a world you would want to go further into as I have.

The transformer boxes are very nice and allow you to get into the Stax world fairly inexpensively. These boxes are sold fairly frequently around here. People use them as entry level drugs so to speak.

My very first foray into the electrostatic world was with a SRX-001 and a Fitz modified transformer box made into am amp. I moved from there to the SRD-7 Pro and SR-Gamma and SRM-001 Mk2 Pro. The best of these were the combination of the SRX-001 and SRM-001. I learned for myself that I enjoyed the direct amplification of the electrostatic headphone over the transformer after all this. But many would be very happy settling with that SRX-001 and SRM-001. They had very good synergy together. I sold all of these and some other stuff when I went for the KGSS and SR-007MkII. I started this journey back in March 08 and ended with the KGSS and Omega sometime in September. All I wanted back in March was to get a taste of Stax with that starter set and I fail hard as you can see.




Those old Stax boxes you suggest, I think i'll give those a miss.

Suggesting the SR-Lambda Pro headphones in the other post is great, But I would want a more modern Stax amp. I just can't be bothered having the old ones when you have to plug your speaker wires into them.
post #50 of 173
Why not simply search or check out the two major Stax threads. All the info you ever want about the Lambda's are written in there.
That said, I am sure you will be well pleased with any of the Lambda 'phones. Good choice indeed..
post #51 of 173
Thread Starter 
After putting the Bose Around Ear Headphones back on, As soon as I played them I thought Errrrrrrrrrrr.......Yuck!!!!!!

Those AKG K701's really showed me the proper way of listening to music on headphones. The AKG was used with a Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 headphone amp, which I also used the Bose on.
post #52 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDL-speakers View Post
If I may ask, what is your whole system set up? Amps, Speakers Turntable etc etc, you used with the SR-404?
Well, OK I haven't done this in all the time I've been accessible on this board.

- modded (P/S, upgrade caps, resonance treatments, analog stage) California Audio Labs Delta transport --> [via coax] --> modded (digital filter, SPDIF receiver) PCM-63 Parasound DAC --> Moon Audio Black Dragon IC --> Stax SRA-14S --> Stax SRE-15 --> Stax SR-404

There are also 2 secondary sources (Denon DVD-2200, mostly there for video duties to a Sony 46" projection, and Marantz LD-620 combi laserdisc, also mostly for video duties) available if I wish. The Denon feeds direct to the SRA-14S, the Marantz via the Parasound DAC's Toslink input.

The core of the system, the SRA-14S, SRE-15 and DAC, have been the core of my system for years. The transport was a replacement as were the IC's, when I changed equipment racks and the prior stuff was no longer suitable (wouldn't work due to physical problems, etc.). This has been my "main" system after I gave up speakers many years ago and decided to go cans exclusively. I added a (small) surround sound system for video several years ago, with it's own dedicated processor and amp system. VCR and game system also there as well. I am working on also giving the system streaming MP3 from my (docked) laptop computer...if I actually ever get my laptop working again, that is (an HP that blew up it's video system (big surprise!!) 6 months ago and HP won't cover the repair, so I've been trying via a independent repairman ever since)
post #53 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDL-speakers View Post
Those old Stax boxes you suggest, I think i'll give those a miss.

Suggesting the SR-Lambda Pro headphones in the other post is great, But I would want a more modern Stax amp. I just can't be bothered having the old ones when you have to plug your speaker wires into them.
Anything with a "SRD" prefix are transformers, and get driven by your power amp. Example: SRD-5, SRD-6s, SRD-7. The higher the number the later (more recent) the model. You must make sure that any transformer you get has Pro bias-level output, which I believe are only available on SRD-7SB and later due to the 7's dual-plug case design.

The "SRM" prefix designates a powered 'amp' ("driver unit" in Stax-speak). There are many versions of SRM active amp designs, with the SRM-1 mk2 / mk2 PRO being the first in the line Stax amps with Pro-level bias outputs, and therefore the most interest to most Stax users. These units get input via line-level RCA inputs from a source, or preamp loop input/output stage, of your choice.

There are 3 general lines of active Stax amps: solid-state, tube and Integrated (switching preamp and Stax amp stage in one chassis). The Integrateds can be hard to come by, and expensive, so we'll skip those as territory for the hard-core Stax fan. That leaves the 2 primary drive designs, solid-state and tube. Each one has a different sonic character and each one has its fans and detractors.

The solid-state designs are, of course, relatively care free with little maintanence needed and usually have a solid bottom end response. To the tube driver fans a number of the models can suffer from a somewhat bright and brittle top-end response, and this may have to be worked out by rebalancing alternate components in the source chain.

The tube designs require the scheduled maintanence of tube changes with all that entails (finding balanced tube sets). Therefore the tube drivers cost more in the short run (usually they cost more) and the long run (tube changes, especially if you "roll'). The positive of this is if you enjoy tinkering you can "roll" your tubes (change tube manufacturers, years, etc) to try to get the sound just to your liking. To the solid-state driver fans many of the models can suffer from a somewhat soft presentation, especially in the bottom end and very top extended response - a typical "tube" sound in some instances. Tube rolling can overcome this to a great extent.

Learn more at

STAX Products history
post #54 of 173
Thread Starter 
Hey people,

Thank you all for your replys, It's been very helpful and grand.

I think i'll shut up now about stax and do some thinking, saving up and research.


Have a nice Boxing Day.


Take care

Shane
post #55 of 173
I'd also like to jump in and say thanks. I've been following the thread and just pulled the trigger on a 3050A system. It's going to be interesting to see how it compares to my HD 650s.
post #56 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoyle777 View Post
I'd also like to jump in and say thanks. I've been following the thread and just pulled the trigger on a 3050A system. It's going to be interesting to see how it compares to my HD 650s.
Really nice move, and that only after two (2) posts here on Head-Fi.
Wonder where you will end up 1,500 posts down the road... he he

Welcome to Head-Fi!
post #57 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmathis View Post
Really nice move, and that only after two (2) posts here on Head-Fi.
Wonder where you will end up 1,500 posts down the road... he he

Welcome to Head-Fi!
I've been reading for quite a while, but wanted to get up to speed before I started typing.
Where am I going to be - well I'm already a poster child for "sorry about your wallet!"
post #58 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by slwiser View Post
My very first foray into the electrostatic world was with a SRX-001 and a Fitz modified transformer box made into am amp.
I wonder if that's the same one I'm using now? The internals suggest it might have been one of the battery-powered units though, going by a web search.
post #59 of 173
TDL -- I followed (and bothered with endless PMs) Spritzer, The Monkey, and Slwiser. I did exactly what they told me: (1) start with Lamda Pros and SRM1/MK2, (2) end with 007's and KGSS, (3) buy everything used.

007s and KGSS together represent (for me, and I bet you) the promised land. Certain female vocalists, and certain violinists, bring tears to my eyes when I listen (no joke). With a high quality source, and a darkened room, your favorite music will transport you to a place you have never been.

I have convereted a number of "iPod is good enough for me" folks with one 007/KGSS session. The look on their faces when they play their own favorite CDs and hear things they never heard before is very satisfying.

The head-fi'ers I mentioned are particularly wise re things Stax -- heed their advice.

I've got a number of dynamic phones and amps too for various genres and settings, but the real deal is 007+KGSS (or other high-end stat amp, tubes if you prefer that sound, like BH, etc.).

There are endless debates over "which 007s" ... I have Spritzer-mod 007a's and am very happy, but in various auditions I found the differences small.
post #60 of 173
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavoman View Post
TDL -- I followed (and bothered with endless PMs) Spritzer, The Monkey, and Slwiser. I did exactly what they told me: (1) start with Lamda Pros and SRM1/MK2, (2) end with 007's and KGSS, (3) buy everything used.

007s and KGSS together represent (for me, and I bet you) the promised land. Certain female vocalists, and certain violinists, bring tears to my eyes when I listen (no joke). With a high quality source, and a darkened room, your favorite music will transport you to a place you have never been.

I have convereted a number of "iPod is good enough for me" folks with one 007/KGSS session. The look on their faces when they play their own favorite CDs and hear things they never heard before is very satisfying.

The head-fi'ers I mentioned are particularly wise re things Stax -- heed their advice.

I've got a number of dynamic phones and amps too for various genres and settings, but the real deal is 007+KGSS (or other high-end stat amp, tubes if you prefer that sound, like BH, etc.).

There are endless debates over "which 007s" ... I have Spritzer-mod 007a's and am very happy, but in various auditions I found the differences small.





Hi,


I agree with every thing you say




I'm thinking about getting the Stax SRM-3/Stax Lambda Nov classics. I think that will make a good start for me to enter the Stax World.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)