Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations - Page 25

post #361 of 377

Finally found a back-up pair of 5998s, or so I thought.

 

I spotted 5998 tubes listed on a website (of a well-known Head-Fi member, unnamed for now) for $100 each. OK, that's a fair price, so I ordered two via Paypal and received order confirmation. The following day, my money was refunded with no explanation besides..."out of stock".

 

I immediately go back to the well-known website and see the same 5998s listed for sale...at $175 each.  :(

 

Not cool. The search continues.

post #362 of 377

pathetic for them to price them at $175 ea, thats 421A pricing and not even worth it at all.

post #363 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

pathetic for them to price them at $175 ea, thats 421A pricing and not even worth it at all.


 



What is a good 421A to get?
post #364 of 377

theres only one...

post #365 of 377

Have a couple NOS rectifier pairs on the For Sale forum if anybody's looking for a steal.

French made Valvo EZ80's and UK made Brimar EZ81's with military print.  PM me if

you're interested.  CONUS only.

post #366 of 377
I finally found--for not so much money--a perfect matched pair of Tung-Sol 5998s--originally owned by, but not purchased from, Dubstep Girl (thanks, Dubstep Girl). My educated guess from reading various forums is that 80% of WA2 owners believe Tung Sol 5998s are the best (somewhat) affordable power tubes for the amp, and 20% side with the Tung Sol 7236s. By "affordable" I mean to exclude Western Electric 421a tubes and GEC 6AS7Gs. So now, having both 5998s and 7236s, I thought I'd give my impressions--for those new to the amp or whomever else might be interested. I tested the 7236s and 5998s with a variety of well-regarded rectifiers and drivers: these impressions seem to transcend drivers and rectifiers.

TS 5998
Bass is a bit more powerful, but less controlled
Definitively better imaging generally, and specifically the soundstage is quite a bit wider--really expansive. There's a significant difference in imaging between these tubes.
Treble is ever-so-slightly harsher, particularly in the 6-8 KHz region, which is more pronounced
Mids are less apt to emit purple smoke

TS 7236
Controlled bass
Silkier highs
Soundstage is smaller, but by no means collapsed or claustrophobic, and there's less depth to the sonic image
Mids are more polished


For all the TS 5998s technical superiority in imaging, I'd give the nod to the 7236 in one important measure: pure musicality. Whereas the 5998 dazzles, the 7236 caresses: one's a night at a magnificent royal firework display, the other's an evening spent gorging on Belgian bonbons. Both tubes are magical in the WA2. For me, one tube's not definitively better than the other--just deliciously different.
post #367 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesterfield View Post

I finally found--for not so much money--a perfect matched pair of Tung-Sol 5998s--originally owned by, but not purchased from, Dubstep Girl (thanks, Dubstep Girl). My educated guess from reading various forums is that 80% of WA2 owners believe Tung Sol 5998s are the best (somewhat) affordable power tubes for the amp, and 20% side with the Tung Sol 7236s. By "affordable" I mean to exclude Western Electric 421a tubes and GEC 6AS7Gs. So now, having both 5998s and 7236s, I thought I'd give my impressions--for those new to the amp or whomever else might be interested. I tested the 7236s and 5998s with a variety of well-regarded rectifiers and drivers: these impressions seem to transcend drivers and rectifiers.

TS 5998
Bass is a bit more powerful, but less controlled
Definitively better imaging generally, and specifically the soundstage is quite a bit wider--really expansive. There's a significant difference in imaging between these tubes.
Treble is ever-so-slightly harsher, particularly in the 6-8 KHz region, which is more pronounced
Mids are less apt to emit purple smoke

TS 7236
Controlled bass
Silkier highs
Soundstage is smaller, but by no means collapsed or claustrophobic, and there's less depth to the sonic image
Mids are more polished


For all the TS 5998s technical superiority in imaging, I'd give the nod to the 7236 in one important measure: pure musicality. Whereas the 5998 dazzles, the 7236 caresses: one's a night at a magnificent royal firework display, the other's an evening spent gorging on Belgian bonbons. Both tubes are magical in the WA2. For me, one tube's not definitively better than the other--just deliciously different.


Really nice comparison and review, Chris.  You are always getting me to spend more money...and you KNEW you'd get me on the "musicality" reference.  And just when I was totally happy with my 5998's.  You are an evil man.

post #368 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesterfield View Post

I finally found--for not so much money--a perfect matched pair of Tung-Sol 5998s--originally owned by, but not purchased from, Dubstep Girl (thanks, Dubstep Girl). My educated guess from reading various forums is that 80% of WA2 owners believe Tung Sol 5998s are the best (somewhat) affordable power tubes for the amp, and 20% side with the Tung Sol 7236s. By "affordable" I mean to exclude Western Electric 421a tubes and GEC 6AS7Gs. So now, having both 5998s and 7236s, I thought I'd give my impressions--for those new to the amp or whomever else might be interested. I tested the 7236s and 5998s with a variety of well-regarded rectifiers and drivers: these impressions seem to transcend drivers and rectifiers.

TS 5998
Bass is a bit more powerful, but less controlled
Definitively better imaging generally, and specifically the soundstage is quite a bit wider--really expansive. There's a significant difference in imaging between these tubes.
Treble is ever-so-slightly harsher, particularly in the 6-8 KHz region, which is more pronounced
Mids are less apt to emit purple smoke

TS 7236
Controlled bass
Silkier highs
Soundstage is smaller, but by no means collapsed or claustrophobic, and there's less depth to the sonic image
Mids are more polished


For all the TS 5998s technical superiority in imaging, I'd give the nod to the 7236 in one important measure: pure musicality. Whereas the 5998 dazzles, the 7236 caresses: one's a night at a magnificent royal firework display, the other's an evening spent gorging on Belgian bonbons. Both tubes are magical in the WA2. For me, one tube's not definitively better than the other--just deliciously different.

 

Thanks for this! I have been sidetracked since I got my hands on the WA2 and haven't had time to explore tube rolling. Will re-read this thread and get tips. :atsmile:

post #369 of 377

Perhaps some of you may know what these are for.  ;) #ExtremelyLimited

 

Reply
post #370 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by billerb1 View Post


Really nice comparison and review, Chris.  You are always getting me to spend more money...and you KNEW you'd get me on the "musicality" reference.  And just when I was totally happy with my 5998's.  You are an evil man.

Thanks, Bill. It's one of my strong suits: getting friends to doubt themselves and generally undermining their happiness. Encouraging them to see the folly of their contentment is precisely what makes me such a good friend, I think. Seriously, since the 7236 would be a new flavor rather than a replacement, I think, at the least, you can wait until you find a really inexpensive pair.
post #371 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesterfield View Post

I finally found--for not so much money--a perfect matched pair of Tung-Sol 5998s--originally owned by, but not purchased from, Dubstep Girl (thanks, Dubstep Girl). My educated guess from reading various forums is that 80% of WA2 owners believe Tung Sol 5998s are the best (somewhat) affordable power tubes for the amp, and 20% side with the Tung Sol 7236s. By "affordable" I mean to exclude Western Electric 421a tubes and GEC 6AS7Gs. So now, having both 5998s and 7236s, I thought I'd give my impressions--for those new to the amp or whomever else might be interested. I tested the 7236s and 5998s with a variety of well-regarded rectifiers and drivers: these impressions seem to transcend drivers and rectifiers.

TS 5998
Bass is a bit more powerful, but less controlled
Definitively better imaging generally, and specifically the soundstage is quite a bit wider--really expansive. There's a significant difference in imaging between these tubes.
Treble is ever-so-slightly harsher, particularly in the 6-8 KHz region, which is more pronounced
Mids are less apt to emit purple smoke

TS 7236
Controlled bass
Silkier highs
Soundstage is smaller, but by no means collapsed or claustrophobic, and there's less depth to the sonic image
Mids are more polished


For all the TS 5998s technical superiority in imaging, I'd give the nod to the 7236 in one important measure: pure musicality. Whereas the 5998 dazzles, the 7236 caresses: one's a night at a magnificent royal firework display, the other's an evening spent gorging on Belgian bonbons. Both tubes are magical in the WA2. For me, one tube's not definitively better than the other--just deliciously different.


Thanks for the review!  What HPs were you using and did they have a stock/ or upgraded cable?  BTW, I believe your review would transcend  HPs as well.

post #372 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesterfield View Post


Thanks, Bill. It's one of my strong suits: getting friends to doubt themselves and generally undermining their happiness. Encouraging them to see the folly of their contentment is precisely what makes me such a good friend, I think. Seriously, since the 7236 would be a new flavor rather than a replacement, I think, at the least, you can wait until you find a really inexpensive pair.


Quit tryin' to be nice.  I know all your tricks !!!  Seriously, Chris, I'll keep my eyes opened.  Let me know if you see any deals on the 7236's.

post #373 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4music View Post


Thanks for the review!  What HPs were you using and did they have a stock/ or upgraded cable?  BTW, I believe your review would transcend  HPs as well.

Hi, ru4music: I used HD-800s with stock cables (which are pretty good). If you click on my user name and select "profile", you'll be able to read a complete list of my equipment (though I don't list all my tubes).
post #374 of 377
The gec 6as7g are the hardest to seat in the amp.
Or at least mine
post #375 of 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazsud View Post

The gec 6as7g are the hardest to seat in the amp.
Or at least mine


yeah seems like straight base is easier to get in.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations