Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations - Page 16

post #226 of 376

How do you all think the TS5998 is different from the TS7236? Thanks for your thoughts.


Edited by Arcamera - 11/25/13 at 4:14pm
post #227 of 376
FYI, Jack said he's switching stock tubes on the WA2 from Electo-Harmonix 6922s to Sylvania 6D8Js. Honestly, though, as little as I knew about tube rolling when I bought my WA2 (and I still know next to nothing), I'm not sure I would've kept my WA2 if it had shipped with the Sylvania 6D8Js--to my ear, they just sound painfully bright with HD-800s, and I would've mistaken that brightness for the amp's sound. So, I'm glad I bought the WA2 when EH6922s were stock (whatever their faults, EH6922s have a lovely, warm midrange). Apparently, the failure rate on the EH6922 was high enough that Jack felt like he had to switch.
post #228 of 376
I'd recommend trying the Amperex 7308s instead of the 6D8Js. They're really nice in the 7-10 kilohertz region, which seems to be where you're encountering problems. Upscale Audio sells them for $50 each (driver grade--which is all you need for this application)--a third of the price Jack is asking for them.
post #229 of 376

just get amperex bugle boys (HD 800) or orange globes (T1) and be done. cheaper than 7308 from jack (they only cost like 60-80 a pair tops), more transparent and focused than the american 6922s, and far more rugged than the EH6922 (which i can see why jack would stop using, people probably complained of them dying in a month or 2). 


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 1/3/14 at 8:08pm
post #230 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesterfield View Post

FYI, Jack said he's switching stock tubes on the WA2 from Electo-Harmonix 6922s to Sylvania 6D8Js. Honestly, though, as little as I knew about tube rolling when I bought my WA2 (and I still know next to nothing), I'm not sure I would've kept my WA2 if it had shipped with the Sylvania 6D8Js--to my ear, they just sound painfully bright with HD-800s, and I would've mistaken that brightness for the amp's sound. So, I'm glad I bought the WA2 when EH6922s were stock (whatever their faults, EH6922s have a lovely, warm midrange). Apparently, the failure rate on the EH6922 was high enough that Jack felt like he had to switch.

We have done that. The Sylvania 6DJ8 are much quieter. Electro Harmonix were too noisy so we upgraded the tubes to the mor equieter and musical Sylvania 6Dj8 and were able to keep the price the same even thoguh ti costing us much more to source the Sylvania tubes.

post #231 of 376

my EH6922 were a disaster when they arrived with my 2, it took me several days to work out more than one was faulty. A move to the Sylvania would have been welcomed here. Took me ages to move locations, swap tubes, lift earths etc. I just binned them in the end.


Edited by Nic Rhodes - 1/4/14 at 4:26am
post #232 of 376
EH6922s were a disaster in my WA2. It took me over a week and about $250 to figure out the hum was coming from them (thought it might be a ground hum, so I bought an isolation transformer, among other things). It was a real pain and horribly aggravating, but I still prefer them--sans noise--to the Sylvania 6DJ8s. The Sylvania 6DJ8s may be quieter and a bit more expensive than the EH 6922s (I mean, both tubes are relatively inexpensive), but more musical? I'm not so sure about that.
post #233 of 376

neither of the tubes is a long term stayer, the 2 desrves far better quality than either of these but as a starter tube supplied with the 2 they should at least work!

post #234 of 376
Agreed. The single most important qualities to the stock tubes is that they work and aren't noisy. I still feel annoyed by how much time and money I lost diagnosing that problem.
post #235 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesterfield View Post

Agreed. The single most important qualities to the stock tubes is that they work and aren't noisy. I still feel annoyed by how much time and money I lost diagnosing that problem.


Yes agreed,  I didn't waste any money but time is more important to me and it took me a while to work out and I build valve amps for a hobby!

post #236 of 376

Sorry for your issues in the past with noisy tubes etc. We will be answering all emails from here quickly. There is also a Woo phone number going on the new website and may be also put up on the current website this week. I will be taking most of the calls..   We hope to make Woo the ultimate audio company this year. 

post #237 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic Rhodes View Post
 

neither of the tubes is a long term stayer, the 2 desrves far better quality than either of these but as a starter tube supplied with the 2 they should at least work!

 

+1

post #238 of 376
post #239 of 376

http://on.wsj.com/1e0taUT

 

Check it out

post #240 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

http://on.wsj.com/1e0taUT

Check it out

Congratulations. Yes, the WA7 Fireflies has been getting really good reviews. Had it been available when I was initially shopping for DACs and a better amp, I might've gone that route.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations