Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › REVIEW: Koss KTXPRO1....an awesome portable headphone!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

REVIEW: Koss KTXPRO1....an awesome portable headphone! - Page 2

post #16 of 62
i find it funny you say the pro4aa were horrible and the way you describe it being bad while they are known and from experience one of the only good headphones koss makes lol. the fact you say every thing sounds dull thin or muddy makes me think you dont know to much about headphones. there specs on the box are right and they are great i just think you missed the fact they are low sensitivity and 250 ohms. meaning you need an amp for them to sound good lol. do you use an amp with them probably not. otherwise they will sound just like how you said. obviously if you new much you would have known that. you should not say things about headphones that you dont know much about. those are great ones. probably used your weak computer to power them or something like a mp3 player does not work. the pro3aa sounded better because it does not need an amp its 60 ohms. learn more about headphones before giving advice. though your right those ktxpro are okay for the price. the sennheiser px100 destroy them though. and the pro4aa with an amp slaughters all of them. that were talking about. buy an amp then use your pro4aa that are sitting in your closet and then give a review about those then you will know some real hifi sound. lol. i cant believe you bought those and did not know you needed an amp and thought they sucked because you were just underpowering them the whole time.
post #17 of 62
portapro's from my experience are just a little quieter but identical even though portapros are more comfy. px100 are much better then both. but the sr60's are in a different league then these much better. but the pro4aa are even in another league then the sr60's there better then those when powered with an amp. there amazing. the pro4aa has great power through out all frequency range but most importantly why its much better then all and the only one that close to it is the grado sr60i is becuase it not just frequency response but it can play highs and lows at the same time with out distorting much at all the. others really suffer at that. from my exeperience i like the px100 the best for overall use with mp3 player as it also does not distort any more then the pro4aa and does not need an amp. sr60i are the next best and dont need an amp. they are not as portable but get better highs then px100 and also cant notice distort when playing multi frequencies like the px100 and pro4aa. then the pro4aa with an amp which kinda sucks to need one has the same highs the sr60i gets and cleanlyness and no distortion either on multi frequencies. but much more deeper bass to my ears. thats the only advantage you get with those compared to the sr60i but still sound better. i think if your at home and just want to use it for the computer sr60i grado's win and if you want it on the go mp3 player px100 sennheisers win.
post #18 of 62

.


Edited by Louis8ball - 8/6/14 at 10:38am
post #19 of 62
I like these better than the Portapro. Bigger wider soundstage, more immersive.
post #20 of 62
I recently purchased a new KTXPRO1 from Amazon. I'm writing this because I feel these are way different than the ones I had a few years back.

First of all, the cord is thinner,the plug is straight, and the earpads are smaller and thinner. I called Koss customer service and they said they don't sound counterfeit.

As for the sound, the bass is shallow and muddy, the mids are more forward, and the highs are recessed. I also have the KSC75 and preferred my old KTXPRO1 for the better bass from the clamping force. These are not better.

I have owned or used many variations of these headphones and I have to say I am just not happy with these. I will try a burn-in but I don't think it will help. I'm also going to try thicker earpads. I know this will help but I'm not sure how much. I just hope the KSC75 is still the same because I use the more than anything else and they do wear out or get broken.
post #21 of 62

Are the classed as open-backed, or semi-open-backed, or closed? I am guessing from the pictures that they are open to some extent. I think I need something closed though, for travelling.

post #22 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBow View Post
 

Are the classed as open-backed, or semi-open-backed, or closed? I am guessing from the pictures that they are open to some extent. I think I need something closed though, for travelling.

 

It's semi-open, just like most of the other budget Koss models. But it barely leaks sound.

 

What impresses me about the KTXPRO1 is that it only costs $10 yet sounds like a $300 headphone. When I recently owned an HD 800, I would even reach for the KTX more often! (Even when I extensively equalized the HD 800.)

post #23 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBow View Post

Are the classed as open-backed, or semi-open-backed, or closed? I am guessing from the pictures that they are open to some extent. I think I need something closed though, for travelling.
I would consider them open but it doesn"t matter much for leakage. The foam earpads are acoustically transparent. This is not a bad thing because it is by design. You can still hear your surroundings and the sound is more like listening to music around you instead of in your head. If you want isolation, go for closed back with sealed pads.
post #24 of 62

I think semi open would be the best, I guess. I need some for walking about which means I need some hearing when near roads. This requirement is the reason why I never tried any noise isolating ear-canal headphones.) Yet some isolation when on public transport.

 

I have been thinking about the Grado eGrado, or SR60 9e-version maybe). However they are going to leak sound on transport. it won't be offensive because I don't blast music into my ears. However I worry the fully open-backed nature of them will cause wind problems when outside walking. Wind is likely to be noisy across the grills too.

post #25 of 62
So far, i have found that anything that seals in or against your ear causes microphonics. This results in a loud thump everytime you take a step. I think semi-open pads regarless of open or closed back is the way to go. Unfortunately, there aren't very many made. The KSC75 is still.my favorite for now but the MEE Audio AF36 Wave looks promising.
post #26 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromojito View Post

So far, i have found that anything that seals in or against your ear causes microphonics. This results in a loud thump everytime you take a step. I think semi-open pads regarless of open or closed back is the way to go. Unfortunately, there aren't very many made. The KSC75 is still.my favorite for now but the MEE Audio AF36 Wave looks promising.

 

Well my Grado are as open backed as you can get, but they make a loud thump from the cables. It's bad sometimes when I'm laid down flat. Sometimes every breath causes the cable to make a noise with friction against clothing. Sorry but that's how it is.

post #27 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBow View Post

Well my Grado are as open backed as you can get, but they make a loud thump from the cables. It's bad sometimes when I'm laid down flat. Sometimes every breath causes the cable to make a noise with friction against clothing. Sorry but that's how it is.
I'll try the KSC75 and KTXPRO1 and listen carefully. Maybe the headband makes a difference. Your Grados use the same type of foam ear pads, right?
I also have some closed, sealed Bluetooth headphones and they make a.deafening thump despite not having a cable.
post #28 of 62
I finally had some time to try it. Neither the KSC75 or KTXPRO1 made noise while walking. They both have a little noise if i hit the cable but not from brushing it against my shirt.
post #29 of 62

I got a Koss Porta Pro KTC a few days ago. It sort of sounds like a lo-fi version of the KTXPRO1. I use it for videos since I'm not picky with those like I am with music. It's easily the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn! Barely notice I'm wearing it. The adjustable clamping force mechanism is a nice touch. I leave it on firm. With the KTX, there's a gap at the bottom of the pads, so I have to constantly push them against my ears to get the best sound. I'm thankful the PP is hands-free!

 

Out of curiosity, I swapped the drivers around. Here are the sound quality results:

 

KTXPRO1 > Porta Pro drivers on KTXPRO1 frame > Porta Pro > KTXPRO1 drivers on Porta Pro frame

 

And here is my current ranking of Koss headphones I have owned. (Personal preference only.)

 

1. KTXPRO1

2. UR40

3. KSC75

4. Porta Pro

5. UR55

post #30 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromojito View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBow View Post

Well my Grado are as open backed as you can get, but they make a loud thump from the cables. It's bad sometimes when I'm laid down flat. Sometimes every breath causes the cable to make a noise with friction against clothing. Sorry but that's how it is.
I'll try the KSC75 and KTXPRO1 and listen carefully. Maybe the headband makes a difference. Your Grados use the same type of foam ear pads, right?
I also have some closed, sealed Bluetooth headphones and they make a.deafening thump despite not having a cable.

 

The Grado L-cushion pads (that I have, standard on my SR225e) are sort of firm. Some find them scratchy and uncomfortable at first. However I discovered right off how to wear them in total comfort. I can literally wear them all day.

 

I really don't know thy they transmit cable noise. Except that the cable goes into the plastic ear-cup and is in contact with it. It must travel into the cup there I guess.

 

Thank you for the heads up on the PKTXPRO1 cable. I think I will get some. I am in real need for some walkabout headphones. Right now I use the Sennheiser MX500, which are old models now. Trouble is they tend to fall out, and need to be pushed in to hear the bass. They are not ear-canal either, just old fashioned earphones.


Edited by GreenBow - 2/7/17 at 2:27pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › REVIEW: Koss KTXPRO1....an awesome portable headphone!