New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Netbook? - Page 2

post #16 of 89
The Lenovo S10 is a great netbook for the money. IIRC it has a 160GB HDD, 512MB PC5300 memory expandable up to 1.5GB, 1.6GHz for ~$400.

ASUS netbooks get rave reviews too; look up the Eee900 or 1000 series for more info.
post #17 of 89
the only thing I can advise is to go on this site and do some comparisons based on what you want.

Of course you don't mind the soundcard since you will get a DAC. I'd go with Linux on those netbook to get the most from them but that's not advisable for lesser users (doing Word,Excel and Internet)
post #18 of 89
I have the white aspire one with 160gb/xp/6 cell batt and use it for my business to play music from itunes and i use it to write Word doc's from time to time.

one thing i can say is this netbook makes a full size laptop look over priced and stupid. It can play itunes movies without a single glitch and comes with full ms office. the little guy gets more attention then my iphone, when people see it they have to play with it!

I use the Headphone jack all the time but instead of plugging headphones in i plug a 1/8 to RCA to feed the business's RANE mixer so the music can be heard over the sound system. HELL OF GOOD quality! maybe not no audiophile but the head jack does not fall short for this use and i get compliments on the Sound of the setup since going with the Aspire one from customers.

i love just picking it up with two fingers like a rag doll, so lite and so loaded!

it runs quiet (in dead silence u can hear a fan but just barely) and very little heat, alot less heat from a large size laptop would ever give. The video output has been used on my 32 inch LCD i use at home, not really all that bad of quality given the size of screen it was throwing signal to. the sd card slots are super useful and it has enough usb jacks one could want in such a small package. Never drained the battery fully but she usually is plugged in. typing on the small keyboard is a breeze but does take some getting used to at first.
one thing you will need is a small mouse cause the track pad sucks, not as much as other lap tops but i am a mouse user only.

the Aspire one i have is a perfect step between my iphone and my main pc at home. i will never go back to another phone again nor will i ever buy a full sized laptop..the iphone and Aspire one make the other two useless and way over priced.

would recommend it to anyone looking for any type of portable personal computer. can't wait for these to get even cheaper and more loaded!

i carry mine in a metal briefcase for extra protection, those sleeves they sell seem to flimsy to me and won't take a fall's hurt away at all. problem is the briefcase is three times bigger and three times heavier then the netbook itself
post #19 of 89
And my 2c.

I would choose something out of Asus eee range, or MSN Wind. I've worked with acers and they are.. well, not so rugged. If you're planning to have your netbook always on the table and at home, Acer will do. For travelikg and taking it withyou... I recommend Asus or MSI more(especially Asus).

I have nothing against Acer laptops, it's just.. they are not built as good as the other two.

As comparing speeds, most of them is quite the same.

But it's true that acer is looking better than other two. It just won't last as long.
post #20 of 89
Wait for the MSI Wind U115 or something similar which has hybrid storage and a new chipset. It is faster and more efficient so it is more mobile. Might cost a little bit more but the extra usability does worth it.
post #21 of 89
I have a Dell Mini 910 that I am using as a music server at work with out board Passport hard drive. The Dell mini headphone out is a joke...but the system works great as I wanted it to using it's USB out to an outboard Dac/Amp.
post #22 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonVoid View Post
And my 2c.

I would choose something out of Asus eee range, or MSN Wind. I've worked with acers and they are.. well, not so rugged. If you're planning to have your netbook always on the table and at home, Acer will do. For travelikg and taking it withyou... I recommend Asus or MSI more(especially Asus).

I have nothing against Acer laptops, it's just.. they are not built as good as the other two.

As comparing speeds, most of them is quite the same.

But it's true that acer is looking better than other two. It just won't last as long.
I own one of the Acers and I had a chance to play with the Asus EEE PC that a fellow student purchased. The EEE to me, felt a bit like a toy whereas the Acer felt like it was up to taking a bit of abuse when I pulled it out the box. However, there is no beating the Asus's SSD hard-drive and its abilities to withstand a drop.
post #23 of 89
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by padam View Post
Wait for the MSI Wind U115 or something similar which has hybrid storage and a new chipset. It is faster and more efficient so it is more mobile. Might cost a little bit more but the extra usability does worth it.
If I were going to spend that kind of money on myself I would just get a 14 inch laptop.


My girlfriend loves this little acer. It's lacking nothing for her needs. I had a chance to play with the HP netbook after I made this thread. Yuk. Didn't like it at all. Seemed very sluggish.

Anyhow, thanks for all the thoughts guys!
post #24 of 89
The thing that bothered me on the HP was the trackpad so I will wait and
see what deals spring up on the MSI.
post #25 of 89
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozz View Post
The thing that bothered me on the HP was the trackpad so I will wait and
see what deals spring up on the MSI.
Yeah...

It's even worse on the Acer. They have the same style pads (buttons on either side) but the Acer's isn't as smooth. I'm gonna buy my girlfriend a nano mouse (well, she really doesn't care but I can't stand the trackpad).
post #26 of 89
I've been using the Lenovo s10 for the past two months, tried several different brands of netbooks before i bought it. IMO the Lenovo is the only one that feels like a "real" laptop, all the others were a bit to "plasticly" and felt like toys. Also, the Lenovo is very easy to upgrade - you just unscrew to screws on the bottom and use a small access hatch to access the hdd and the ram.

Besides the build quality of the Lenovo, the support for PC express card were also a factor in my decision, I plan to add a nice sound card for it in the near future (perhaps the Echo Digital offering). The on board ALC269 is fine, no hiss or bad noise while using the on board headphone out port.

I've upgraded my Lenovo with a 500 gb HDD and 2 gb RAM, the computer came with a factory 6-cell battery (7+ hours of up time). I'm using it daily while away from my desktop PC and while on business trips. Wouldn't leave my home without it!
post #27 of 89
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobra View Post
I've been using the Lenovo s10 for the past two months, tried several different brands of netbooks before i bought it. IMO the Lenovo is the only one that feels like a "real" laptop, all the others were a bit to "plasticly" and felt like toys. Also, the Lenovo is very easy to upgrade - you just unscrew to screws on the bottom and use a small access hatch to access the hdd and the ram.

Besides the build quality of the Lenovo, the support for PC express card were also a factor in my decision, I plan to add a nice sound card for it in the near future (perhaps the Echo Digital offering). The on board ALC269 is fine, no hiss or bad noise while using the on board headphone out port.

I've upgraded my Lenovo with a 500 gb HDD and 2 gb RAM, the computer came with a factory 6-cell battery (7+ hours of up time). I'm using it daily while away from my desktop PC and while on business trips. Wouldn't leave my home without it!
The Lenovo is slick. I haven't seen one in person, but from everything I've seen and read the Lenovo is a top performer.

You didn't feel like you could do better just getting a budget laptop, though?

The cheap Acer was fine for my girlfriend, but if I were going to buy a laptop myself I would just opt to get a full-blown budget portable laptop (which wouldn't be that much more than a S10).
post #28 of 89
I have acer aspire 5920g with me almost like a year and I cant be happier with something,Its very fast and it requires you everything you need at once like internal webcam or bluetooth.

I think there is no need to pay extra for Toshibas or some other expensive brands for the same features.dont we usually buy the new ones after a few years? lol
post #29 of 89
The Samsung NC10 is a nice little netbook. The Keyboard is a lot more comfortable than lots of other netbooks that I've tried, for those who type extensively on netbooks or can see themselves doing so. It also looks quite smart and its got a really nice, bright screen. Battery life is awesome too, I can get 5ish hours on mine.
post #30 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
The Lenovo is slick. I haven't seen one in person, but from everything I've seen and read the Lenovo is a top performer.

You didn't feel like you could do better just getting a budget laptop, though?

The cheap Acer was fine for my girlfriend, but if I were going to buy a laptop myself I would just opt to get a full-blown budget portable laptop (which wouldn't be that much more than a S10).
Yeah, I understand your point. With my upgrades the sum of it all would have given me a fairly nice budget laptop, but I wanted a (very) small and highly portable laptop. A budget laptop weighs more the twice as my S10. My netbook is supposed to be my tool when I'm away from home, though I tend to use it more and more while home as it's such a sweet little thing to use in front of the TV...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home