Anyone using the V-DAC directly connected to active speakers, no pre-amp in between?
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryDACstagged by System, 6/14/10
- brandMusical Fidelitytagged by System, 7/19/10
- productMusical Fidelity V-DAC Upsampling Digital to Analog Audio Convertertagged by System, 7/19/10
Related Forum Threads
- Need help reaching the next level with my set up. Last post on 10/26/12 at 5:35pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Help Choosing a computer DAC Last post on 12/10/12 at 9:19am in Computer Audio
- USB DAC suggestions needed for Senn 650 / KICAS amp? Last post on 10/8/12 at 9:37am in Dedicated Source Components
- DACs that work directly (24/96) without powered usb hub on iPad+CCK Last post on 9/6/12 at 3:38am in Dedicated Source Components
- First audio rig, need some help. Last post on 9/20/12 at 12:06pm in Computer Audio
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Shozy has kindly provided me a review unit in exchange for the honest opinion. They are in active use for about 6 months. I should first note that my experience with IEM is a bit limited by now, so...
INTRODUCTION: I would like to thank @Jack Vang of Empire Ears, for the discount on my purchase of the Zeus-XIV-ADEL Custom IEM and for giving me the opportunity to review the IEM. I would also...
This is by far the closest I have come to writing a 5 star review. Of course to get that, I would have to find the holy grail of headphones for me. I had tried the HD558, HD598, HD650, and...
These are *fantastic* for the price. Compared side by side to some old Sennheiser MX500s, that cost at least 4x as much, the Monk+ absolutely wipes the floor - they are hugely superior. Warm...
Acknowledgment Thanks, @Andykong at Cayin, and @Takeanidea for organizing the UK wing of the worldwide extravaganza of i5 tour. It is always an honour to work with great companies and dear...
Musical Fidelity V-DAC Owners? - Page 52
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #767 of 8755/26/10 at 10:35ampost #768 of 8755/26/10 at 12:19pm
A lot of MF kit is designed to be left on all the time. None of the X-CAN series have on/off switches and the V2's PSU gets very hot. For safety I switch my kit off at the socket at the end of the day. But I accept that there is unlikely to be any issue, as I say they are designed to be left on.post #769 of 8755/27/10 at 1:29pmQuote:
I have before and it sounds very detailed. I now have a tube amp inbetween and it helps round off the highs.post #770 of 8756/5/10 at 4:52pm
The other day I purchased the MF V-DAC to go with my Matrix M-Stage amp and AKG 702s. To make sure I have everything setup right, I have a question regarding my PC settings running Windows 7 and foobar with WASAPI plugin.
The specs say this dac automatically upsamples to 24/192. Under control panel -> sound, I can change my soundcards spdif bit depth and sample rate output. Also in foobar you can change the bit depth as well. Now if I'm playing a 16/44.1 flac source, is this what I should set my spdif output to (and foobar?) and have the dac handle all of the upsamping?
I'm assuming that the dac will be able to do a better job, but I'm not sure. Thanks!post #771 of 8756/7/10 at 2:47ampost #772 of 8757/2/10 at 3:55am
I got an V-dac today. I have Win 7 and installed ASIO drivers and using with them.
But I have a question I couldnt solve.
ASIO icon on the tray says it is sampling 44.100 khz. Is it normal?
Does V-dac upsampling to 192 kHz automatically or do i have to do something to upsample?
Also do you prefer WASAPI or ASIO? Is there any differences?post #773 of 8757/2/10 at 9:47ampost #774 of 8757/2/10 at 1:52pm
Thanks knubbe. Then, everyting is working fine for me.
Also I am very satisfied with V-dac after Musiland 02.. But I am very sad for not finding usb cable inside the package. For this cost, this wouldnt be happened..post #775 of 8757/17/10 at 1:24pm
I pulled the trigger finally and received the V-Dac the other day for my 2ndary setup. I was using my LDI+ originally (with a D10 as a dac) out of my Airport Express. I sold the D10 as it just didn't seem to be making a big difference in the chain and simply was using the LDI+ out of the Airport Express recently. It was ok but I knew a dedicated Dac would really improve the setup over the modest AEX internal Dac. It does. I'm thrilled so far - I very much love my DacMagic on my main rig and was curious about the VDac for a while. The soundstage was immediately expanded and improved. It's the exact same size as the LDI+ so when I stack them - they look like they were made for one another. Running an optical from the AEX to the V-Dac is an improvement. The detail and clarity in my music from my beloved k271s are certainly impressive - they were sounding a bit flat before the V-Dac. I listen to a wide variety of genres - leaning a bit towards acoustic, vocals, Roots Rock and Blues.
After reading this thread - and hearing many call it warm, lush, etc. - I was slightly apprehensive about mating it with a tube/hybrid amp - but they really seem like a fantastic compliment to one another. I think it actually has a very transparent quality to it. My favorite EF91 Mullard tubes from the LD really seem to have tightened up a bit - the lows have great impact and are not in the least bit muddy - the highs are crisp and the mids that my 271s excel at seem much better at the present. Voices, acoustic guitars, cymbals - all beautiful and very present. Great little unit!post #776 of 8757/19/10 at 5:02am
Wonder if any of V-DAC owners could compare it to the Audinst HUD-MX1. I want to buy some new DAC and both units will cost about the same amount of money. I know that V-DAC is a bit warm and HUD-MX1 is very neutral, but which of them has e.g. better soundstage?
Also I would like to ask whether V-DAC has to be connected to an amp. I have read about it and it seem to do not have a headphones out. Is there anyway to use it without amp?post #777 of 8757/19/10 at 5:34am
I can't compare the two, but do not classify the V-DAC as warm. I use it with an LD 1+. While the 1+ has a warm tube sound, using my CD player with and without the V-DAC shows that the DAC (to my ears) provides far more clarity and detail, but is otherwise neutral. Again, to my ears (see rig below).
The V-DAC has a line out only, so you will need an amp.post #778 of 8757/19/10 at 10:33am
Thank you for your response. I guess I will stick with HUD-MX1 although I still wait for some other suggestions in my own thread where I ask for help. Anyway - thanks a lot!post #779 of 8757/22/10 at 10:58pm
The long awaiterd MF V PSU is OUT! i saw it on Music Direct yesterday and immediately went to check with the local agent. Its there! Guess will pull the trigger to get it soon : )
Any V Dac owner already got one? :)post #780 of 8758/11/10 at 2:41am
I have a couple of questions for V-DAC owners here.
I currently use a Nuforce uDac and I'm thinking of upgrading it (even though I'm perfectly happy about its performance).
1) People who have had or tested both, would you say there is a clear difference between the sound produced by the two ?
2) I can get a V-DAC for 199€ (roughly $260), if we assume I can sell my uDac for $50, would the $210 difference be justified ?
3) Does it make sense to use a V-DAC as a source for high end cans like Grado RS1i ? Would I need an amp inbetween ? If anyone here tried the combination, how do you like it ?
Thanks a lot for your input.
- Musical Fidelity V-DAC Owners?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread 4 seconds ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 11 seconds ago
- › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 22 seconds ago
- › vibro veritas, measuring our IEMs like a pro with amateur budget. 50 seconds ago
- › iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page... 53 seconds ago
- › Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing... 1 minute ago
- › ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › LG V20 Sound Quality 2 minutes ago
- › Taction Technology KANNON Headphone 2 minutes ago
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by mgunin
- › Empire Ears Zeus by EagleWings
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by snapacap
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear