Anyone using the V-DAC directly connected to active speakers, no pre-amp in between?
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryDACstagged by System, 6/14/10
- brandMusical Fidelitytagged by System, 7/19/10
- productMusical Fidelity V-DAC Upsampling Digital to Analog Audio Convertertagged by System, 7/19/10
Related Forum Threads
- Need help reaching the next level with my set up. Last post on 10/26/12 at 5:35pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Help Choosing a computer DAC Last post on 12/10/12 at 9:19am in Computer Audio
- USB DAC suggestions needed for Senn 650 / KICAS amp? Last post on 10/8/12 at 9:37am in Dedicated Source Components
- DACs that work directly (24/96) without powered usb hub on iPad+CCK Last post on 9/6/12 at 3:38am in Dedicated Source Components
- First audio rig, need some help. Last post on 9/20/12 at 12:06pm in Computer Audio
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Focal Utopia By: Dillan Archer Photographs by: Regan Hulvey Introduction I have spent the greater part of my evenings the last few days (and this morning) listening and...
I have had 2 pairs and both have stopped working, these aren't professional headphones and I'd stay away from them if you want to keep them longer than a year of professional use. Spend your...
just want to order one and will try the reviews once get it FBA seems be fast waiting
I have 50 hours active listening and another 150 passive/occasional on these. Equipment: Ragnarok, Gungnir, Sony CD 5 CD tray, Senn HD-600 set up for balanced Listen to Yes ('15 Remix,...
At the time this review was written the FLC 8S was listed for sale on Amazon and Musicteck’s website. Here are links for more information and purchase....
Musical Fidelity V-DAC Owners? - Page 52
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #767 of 8765/26/10 at 10:35ampost #768 of 8765/26/10 at 12:19pm
A lot of MF kit is designed to be left on all the time. None of the X-CAN series have on/off switches and the V2's PSU gets very hot. For safety I switch my kit off at the socket at the end of the day. But I accept that there is unlikely to be any issue, as I say they are designed to be left on.post #769 of 8765/27/10 at 1:29pmQuote:
I have before and it sounds very detailed. I now have a tube amp inbetween and it helps round off the highs.post #770 of 8766/5/10 at 4:52pm
The other day I purchased the MF V-DAC to go with my Matrix M-Stage amp and AKG 702s. To make sure I have everything setup right, I have a question regarding my PC settings running Windows 7 and foobar with WASAPI plugin.
The specs say this dac automatically upsamples to 24/192. Under control panel -> sound, I can change my soundcards spdif bit depth and sample rate output. Also in foobar you can change the bit depth as well. Now if I'm playing a 16/44.1 flac source, is this what I should set my spdif output to (and foobar?) and have the dac handle all of the upsamping?
I'm assuming that the dac will be able to do a better job, but I'm not sure. Thanks!post #771 of 8766/7/10 at 2:47ampost #772 of 8767/2/10 at 3:55am
I got an V-dac today. I have Win 7 and installed ASIO drivers and using with them.
But I have a question I couldnt solve.
ASIO icon on the tray says it is sampling 44.100 khz. Is it normal?
Does V-dac upsampling to 192 kHz automatically or do i have to do something to upsample?
Also do you prefer WASAPI or ASIO? Is there any differences?post #773 of 8767/2/10 at 9:47ampost #774 of 8767/2/10 at 1:52pm
Thanks knubbe. Then, everyting is working fine for me.
Also I am very satisfied with V-dac after Musiland 02.. But I am very sad for not finding usb cable inside the package. For this cost, this wouldnt be happened..post #775 of 8767/17/10 at 1:24pm
I pulled the trigger finally and received the V-Dac the other day for my 2ndary setup. I was using my LDI+ originally (with a D10 as a dac) out of my Airport Express. I sold the D10 as it just didn't seem to be making a big difference in the chain and simply was using the LDI+ out of the Airport Express recently. It was ok but I knew a dedicated Dac would really improve the setup over the modest AEX internal Dac. It does. I'm thrilled so far - I very much love my DacMagic on my main rig and was curious about the VDac for a while. The soundstage was immediately expanded and improved. It's the exact same size as the LDI+ so when I stack them - they look like they were made for one another. Running an optical from the AEX to the V-Dac is an improvement. The detail and clarity in my music from my beloved k271s are certainly impressive - they were sounding a bit flat before the V-Dac. I listen to a wide variety of genres - leaning a bit towards acoustic, vocals, Roots Rock and Blues.
After reading this thread - and hearing many call it warm, lush, etc. - I was slightly apprehensive about mating it with a tube/hybrid amp - but they really seem like a fantastic compliment to one another. I think it actually has a very transparent quality to it. My favorite EF91 Mullard tubes from the LD really seem to have tightened up a bit - the lows have great impact and are not in the least bit muddy - the highs are crisp and the mids that my 271s excel at seem much better at the present. Voices, acoustic guitars, cymbals - all beautiful and very present. Great little unit!post #776 of 8767/19/10 at 5:02am
Wonder if any of V-DAC owners could compare it to the Audinst HUD-MX1. I want to buy some new DAC and both units will cost about the same amount of money. I know that V-DAC is a bit warm and HUD-MX1 is very neutral, but which of them has e.g. better soundstage?
Also I would like to ask whether V-DAC has to be connected to an amp. I have read about it and it seem to do not have a headphones out. Is there anyway to use it without amp?post #777 of 8767/19/10 at 5:34am
I can't compare the two, but do not classify the V-DAC as warm. I use it with an LD 1+. While the 1+ has a warm tube sound, using my CD player with and without the V-DAC shows that the DAC (to my ears) provides far more clarity and detail, but is otherwise neutral. Again, to my ears (see rig below).
The V-DAC has a line out only, so you will need an amp.post #778 of 8767/19/10 at 10:33am
Thank you for your response. I guess I will stick with HUD-MX1 although I still wait for some other suggestions in my own thread where I ask for help. Anyway - thanks a lot!post #779 of 8767/22/10 at 10:58pm
The long awaiterd MF V PSU is OUT! i saw it on Music Direct yesterday and immediately went to check with the local agent. Its there! Guess will pull the trigger to get it soon : )
Any V Dac owner already got one? :)post #780 of 8768/11/10 at 2:41am
I have a couple of questions for V-DAC owners here.
I currently use a Nuforce uDac and I'm thinking of upgrading it (even though I'm perfectly happy about its performance).
1) People who have had or tested both, would you say there is a clear difference between the sound produced by the two ?
2) I can get a V-DAC for 199€ (roughly $260), if we assume I can sell my uDac for $50, would the $210 difference be justified ?
3) Does it make sense to use a V-DAC as a source for high end cans like Grado RS1i ? Would I need an amp inbetween ? If anyone here tried the combination, how do you like it ?
Thanks a lot for your input.
- Musical Fidelity V-DAC Owners?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar... 1 minute ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 2 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd NFB-28 2 minutes ago
- › Grado GH-1 Discussion 3 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 3 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 4 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 4 minutes ago
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEMs Review / Preview 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 5 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR 1000x 5 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia by Dillan
- › Shure SRH840 by Russell Folland
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › SONY Walkman A series NW-A35 (R) (16GB) (Sina bar Red) by meringo
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by Ike1985
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear