Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Musical Fidelity V-DAC Owners?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Musical Fidelity V-DAC Owners? - Page 9

post #121 of 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadin View Post
My current headphone Amp is a Graham Slee Solo W/ PSU1.

Headphones to date are Sony MDR-SA5000, Ultrasone Pro 900 and the Beyer DT880 '05/250.
i have a solo on the way (although not with psu1)
you have two cans that are on my shortlist, sa5000 and pro900.
how do they perform with the solo?
i refer mainly to the common reported failings of the cans.
ie too much bass on pro 900, and too little on sonys ( + thin sound)
these are only what i have read, of course. your opinions would help me decide on next purchase.
cheers
post #122 of 875
have been playing cd's through my sony dvd player tonight.
either using coax to vdac to amp, or line out to amp.
guess what? i cant tell the difference.
have i just wasted my money on the vdac?
confused, was expecting dac to be better than built in effort on dvd player
post #123 of 875
It's not a giant killer, but more of an improved audio output stage if you got a CDP or DVDP with a poor analogue output. It also sounds better through USB than the line output of a PC sound card.
post #124 of 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herandu View Post
It's not a giant killer, but more of an improved audio output stage if you got a CDP or DVDP with a poor analogue output. It also sounds better through USB than the line output of a PC sound card.
when you say "line output" are you talking literally or do you mean the digital out?
post #125 of 875
I mean the analogue output. Quite a few folks use a RCA audio cable from the line output on their soundcard to the AUX input on their amplifier. Sound quality is in general inferior that way.
post #126 of 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herandu View Post
I mean the analogue output. Quite a few folks use a RCA audio cable from the line output on their soundcard to the AUX input on their amplifier. Sound quality is in general inferior that way.
i am using digital, from sc (normally)
flac files ripped with eac and using aiso4all, to vdac to ldmkv to cans.
i would have thought this would be better than using the analogue out of my dvd player to amp. but it aint!
all part of the learning curve i guess!?
post #127 of 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldson View Post
all part of the learning curve i guess!?
Matsudaman has a lot to answer for. Even I got taken in by the hype, but luckily it is didn't break the bank.
post #128 of 875
the DAC search is about to be brought back to life.
gonna run out of space in my "redundent" cupboard at this rate!
post #129 of 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldson View Post
gonna run out of space in my "redundent" cupboard at this rate!
. I know the feeling. My wife thinks they are free samples from work. Well, that's what I tell her. I just mentioned on another thread that I am now holding out for the USB DAC from Beresford. If it sounds as good as my modified TC-7510 and is cheaper than the DacMagic I shall treat myself to one before I padlock my wallet for a while.
post #130 of 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herandu View Post
. I know the feeling. My wife thinks they are free samples from work. Well, that's what I tell her. I just mentioned on another thread that I am now holding out for the USB DAC from Beresford. If it sounds as good as my modified TC-7510 and is cheaper than the DacMagic I shall treat myself to one before I padlock my wallet for a while.
not heard of this usb dac from beresford. though its probably a 7510 with usb input.
BTW where can i buy a good quality "wallet padlock"?
all the ones i buy break really easy
post #131 of 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldson View Post
have been playing cd's through my sony dvd player tonight.
either using coax to vdac to amp, or line out to amp.
guess what? i cant tell the difference.
have i just wasted my money on the vdac?
confused, was expecting dac to be better than built in effort on dvd player
Just because you can't hear the difference doesn't mean a difference doesn't exist. If YOU can't hear the difference than you've obviously wasted YOUR money.

I can hear a vast difference between the V-DAC and the Arcam CD73. It's easy to hear difference between my Arcam and my Cambridge d500se. For Pete's sake there is a difference between cheap dvd player A and cheap dvd player B. To say that there is NO DIFFERENCE between a cheap dvd player and the VDAC is basically admitting to not being ABLE to hear the difference between the two.

BTW, you and Herandu should get a room.
post #132 of 875
Hi guys, quick question, i run mine via usb and it worked first time, no ploblems at all, why do some people have to run other apps such as aiso4all?
Thanks
post #133 of 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatsudaMan View Post
Just because you can't hear the difference doesn't mean a difference doesn't exist. If YOU can't hear the difference than you've obviously wasted YOUR money.

I can hear a vast difference between the V-DAC and the Arcam CD73. It's easy to hear difference between my Arcam and my Cambridge d500se. For Pete's sake there is a difference between cheap dvd player A and cheap dvd player B. To say that there is NO DIFFERENCE between a cheap dvd player and the VDAC is basically admitting to not being ABLE to hear the difference between the two.

BTW, you and Herandu should get a room.
i wonder if its because my cans (ath-a900) are not that revealing?
i have read they are forgiving of poorer source. could it be this is why the dvd player doesnt sound bad.
the player was also over £200 , when new!
and i will give the "room" a miss , thanks
post #134 of 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldson View Post
i wonder if its because my cans (ath-a900) are not that revealing?
i have read they are forgiving of poorer source. could it be this is why the dvd player doesnt sound bad.
the player was also over £200 , when new!
and i will give the "room" a miss , thanks
I'm not sure if it's the ath-9000's that are not revealing the differences between your sources. Have you tried comparing the two with conventional loudspeakers? While my hd580's seem to be quite revealing in a detail kind of way, my speakers (wharfedale diamond 9.5's) tend to be even more revealing in a dynamic and also tonal way. Most of my impressions of the v-dac have been listening to speakers rather than through headphones.

Also, it doesn't matter if your dvd player was 200, 1,000, or 50 clams - it's going to sound different, whether better or worse. One might not be able to tell, but each piece of equipment is a different animal.
post #135 of 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldson View Post
have been playing cd's through my sony dvd player tonight.
either using coax to vdac to amp, or line out to amp.
guess what? i cant tell the difference.
have i just wasted my money on the vdac?
confused, was expecting dac to be better than built in effort on dvd player
Fanboys strike again.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Musical Fidelity V-DAC Owners?