Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › WESTONE 3 vs SHURE530 COMPARISON
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WESTONE 3 vs SHURE530 COMPARISON - Page 4

post #46 of 110
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstarn06 View Post
Didn't mean to say anyone's POV is invalid, and hearing both sides is fantastic. But I think prscustom was the victim of the hype more so than anyone else, since his expectations seem so high (and as he said, he had grown accustomed to the SE530 sound), and when they weren't met, he swung to the other extreme. Also, sounds like he has found a tip that works, at least I think so based on his last post.

Is that right, prscustom? Do you now like the W3s, a little even? Not quite sure, but it appears that way.
as i mentioned the only reason i dont like w3s is the sibilant,thin,cheap or whatever sound signature..if its even a sound signature at all created on purpose..sibilance and overall thin sounding ruins all the fun listening most of songs..its like if there is no filter..
also the sound is wide but has no "depth" at all..shures are more like "rounded"

im hearing atm coldplay: scientist
on w3 the sibilance is just unbearable...
shures also have some sibilance in that song but rather more natural and not as much as w3 and its quite enjoyable
post #47 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by prscustom View Post
ok let me try to explain why i think they sound CHEAP (10€, 50€ whatever..)

image cymbals and drums in a rock song....drum sounds have no depth/punch at all and cymbals sound sibilant and thin..imagine that..

and vocals have also piercing sssibilanccee..
everything sounds somewhat "out of place"
but other than that im impressed by the detail and separation...shure530 doesnt have that much

maybe w3's are "too clear" i dont know.....
to me w3's produce very detailed, sibilant, separated sound that is

btw, i somewhat reduced the sibilance playing with eq and attaching an interconnect..

Yeah, and if that and tips doesn't help just change your ears, that should do it. No, they shouldn't sound like that believe me. My only guess is that you might have a bad synergy with your DAP but you have three of them...I know what you mean and i can't even explain how much i hate sssssibilance and how much i like hearing good drums and cymbals.

Wait! Maybe, just maybe.....do you listen very LOUD? Because that could explain sibbilance since i have sony too and if i pass 20/30 of volume it becomes sibilant(and some other nasty stuff) with my denons but i don't belive that you could experience the same thing with shures because of they're sound signature again. Didn't try iPhone 3g but it should arrive in a couple of days and i'll let you know if it's the same thing. But from my experience most of the DAPs SQ changes in a bad way when you pass 60% of the volume.

If that's not the case, just give 'em to your brother
post #48 of 110
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NajoBB View Post
Wait! Maybe, just maybe.....do you listen very LOUD?
with sony max 14/30 vol with shure/w3 and 18/30 vol with tf10
not loud at all
and imo iphone3g sounds best all of them

btw, do you also own both w3 and shure530, had chance to compare?
post #49 of 110
Lol... I should have never even looked at this thread . For those of you who have seen my posts in other threads, I won't even mention sibilance, but yes, it's reviews like these that are putting me off to the Westone 3.

But since it was mentioned, the iPhone 3G + SE530 is fantastic. The iPhone 3G sounds a little too laid back, but its balance and detail outweigh that entirely. However, if I had a choice, I'd rather have the Sony Walkman sound.
post #50 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by prscustom View Post
with sony max 14/30 vol with shure/w3 and 18/30 vol with tf10
not loud at all
and imo iphone3g sounds best all of them

btw, do you also own both w3 and shure530, had chance to compare?

That's not loud, that's low considering how low gain Sony has compared to iPods, meizu M6 and cowon D2.

I was considering them (W3) but i was afraid of the hype(and for good reason apparently...). I heard allot of good things about new iPhone 3G and can't wait for mine to arrive. Sony is very good and clear sounding but lacks some bass and enhancements are rather useless. Right now I'm thinking of taking se530 again if i don't like IE8 enough cos i liked some things about them and have heard them only with my old iPod video 5g (sounds good but recently I've discovered that have recessed highs) so with iPhone 3G/Walkman things could improve a little no?

Maybe if i find them for a better price (399$ is too expensive considering alternatives IMO) i'll give 'em a try only because i still can't believe that they made such a strange sounding iem. I believe you even if you're a newbie here (like myself) but i want to be sure that you're not missing something. Rather unlikely based on your posts so far, but you're never know right? If i find them I'll post some impressions of course.

Maybe they need burn....no....they're armatures.

Anyway keep us updated, maybe they'll change...
post #51 of 110
prscustom: dum question, but are you sure the tips fit? I know you said you tried all of them, but what you described is what I hear from Shure headphones if I use the silicone or flange tips because they don't seal well in my ears.
I'm suspecting the short tips not being long enough for your ear canal (what I'm worried about as well w/ the W3's). My guess is the short tips won't work for some people's ears...
post #52 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by prscustom View Post
as i mentioned the only reason i dont like w3s is the sibilant,thin,cheap or whatever sound signature..if its even a sound signature at all created on purpose..sibilance and overall thin sounding ruins all the fun listening most of songs..its like if there is no filter..
also the sound is wide but has no "depth" at all..shures are more like "rounded"

im hearing atm coldplay: scientist
on w3 the sibilance is just unbearable...
shures also have some sibilance in that song but rather more natural and not as much as w3 and its quite enjoyable
From what I can hear, that song has sibilance in the recording itself. I'm thinking maybe your music is either all or mostly recorded with sibilance, and the W3 is revealing it while the SE530 is masking it. Just my two cents. I'll have to see for myself when I get mine in a few months. I hate sibilance as well, and about half of my music has some sibilance in the recording (especially Muse, ouchies...).
post #53 of 110
I just bought a song from a band that i don't particularly like...
Yup, the guy that mastered this song isn't the brightest guy in town IMO. This song is sibilant. Music is OK but voice is painful to listen(checked with various headphones). Good point there "i don't know".

EDIT: It's a pity really with Muse. It's one of my favorite bands but recording is not their strong point, especially the last album Black holes ecc...
post #54 of 110
Absolution is tolerable to listen to. That's about it. I'm hoping the upcoming album will be mastered better. I hate switching to low-end earphones to listen to Muse.
post #55 of 110
Same thing here...
post #56 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBD View Post
I didn't mean his opinions are BS. Nothing against the OP.

I simply meant that it's too subjective, a perfectly valid opinion but as a review, it just doesn't give reasonable credit to the w3. Saying it's cheap just shows general dislike towards the w3.

And there's no reason you should not like something even more just because of hype. You can't hate an ipod just because it's an ipod. When you hear so many good things about something, you start looking for negatives and give more credit to those simply because it's not hyped up. It can just well be "dis-hyped."
Every review on any piece of audio equipment is subjective.
post #57 of 110
prscustom-
I've been reading up on this thread tonight.. and I somewhat understand your point of view. I was very underwhelmed by these at first too. I thought they were thin, and sterile sounding. But give them time, and don't be too hasty in forming your final thoughts about them. Listen with them LOTS. I started to realize all the detail that I was hearing after a while. I personally get hardly any sibilance at all, and the few instances I've heard are much more minimal than even the IE8. I think the biggest problem I have with the W3 is a bit of a lack of bass. I have the Sony A829, and I click up the CB a couple notches, and this restores some of the warmth and punch I like. Try all the tips and make sure you have the best seal possible. You should dig around and find soozieq's story of what happened by not finding the best fit until too late! And even then, it still took a while before they impressed her very much. It may also be that they don't quite match up with the angle of your ear canal just right.

I'm finding they are very dependent on music recording quality. You hear mediocre and bad recordings as such, and then great recordings sound spectacular by comparison. So hunt out your tracks that you know are outstanding in that regard, and listen for how they portray space.

I also want to say that I appreciate your opinion. Being accustomed to the sound of the SE530, and then going to the W3 is probably a huge contrast, and may take some getting used to. But I can tell you that what I'm hearing now in the spatial placement/resolution/detail makes it very worthwhile to work these things out. And don't worry one bit about what others say of your being negative and dismissive of the 'greatest new thing'. That's what these boards are for. And I can tell that you're not being just a 'naysayer', you're searching to understand these. So hopefully the rest of this thread will be helpful to you.

Best of luck!
post #58 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1sixerfan View Post
Every review on any piece of audio equipment is subjective.
That's true but the objective is to be as objective as you can.
post #59 of 110
I agree with cn11, I think you need to find the right fit and also spend a lot of time with the Westone 3 before making a good comparison. Use the Westone 3 only for at least a week before using the E530 again and see what you find.
post #60 of 110
Thread Starter 
i think i found the problem...

i played with the eq when hearing the shure530....and tried to make a straight freuqency line as possible



and i must say WOW...i've have got similar signature like w3 but MUCH MUCH better, pleasing and quality sounding....sound is beyond descriptions
and this is even with black olives, i wonder how it will sound when i get my yellow foams(which are much better)

i've got almost extreme clarity, detail and wonderful highs, similar sibilance(but less) and thin cymbals like w3 but somehow, hard to desribe but it sounds very natural and pleasing....
i think "rolled-off" highs are designed on purpose for sound character, aka "Shure sound"

i guess w3 tried to get a perfect frequency response (straight line) to produce every sound in music like a real monitor, which is found only in very expensive hifi sets...but failed because of the lack of quality (drivers,filter whatever i dont know)

i can get similar sound with shure530 but nomatter how hard i try i cant make w3 sound good...because the problem is not lows,mids or highs.
with eq settings shure530 sounds like a quality version of w3, it gives you wow effect and keep the wow effect (unlike tf10)

if you own both iems, test yourself and decide yourself
source: sonya816 no amp
song: nirvana-smells like teen spirit (215kbps)
shure530 eq: as shown above tips: shure medium black olives
w3 eq: none tips: shure medium or large black olives
both perfect seal

sooo.....my w3 is nicely packed and ready for return...
sorry but nothing is better from shures so far...after hearing the amazing highs im also selling my tf10's (pm me if interested)....i dont care the hype or what others say or think

thanks for any help and comments



ps: btw i've been hearing today all day the w3 thru my all albums....but seconds after i plugged my 530 i could hear to the music again =D
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › WESTONE 3 vs SHURE530 COMPARISON