Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp) - Page 5

post #61 of 7724
Looks like a nice job by audio-gd, I've really liked talking with Kingwa - I think his thinking and design ethos.

So much so that I've ordered the DAC-3SE, with twin RCA outputs to feed my headamp and main amp seperatly (nice to get the builder to modify the unit before it leaves the shop). Its currently being tested and will be shipped on Monday, so it be here after xmass, in the lull before new year, so I'll burn it in and write a review.

I've found a friend that uses his PC as his source, so I'm shipping him my Zero, as the noise want be such a factor.

One thought about the Compass, with only a 50W transformer, I assume that will only power one HDAM?

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #62 of 7724
edit
post #63 of 7724
May have to put my order for the Zero on hold for this bad boy...
post #64 of 7724
Certainly looks like an awesome piece of kit.
Fully discrete headphone amp component aswell.
Highly likely that I will get one once it is released.
post #65 of 7724
I am not sure if I have ever seen any vendor reacting this fast. I know there are a lot of good guys in the head-fi business, but at least putting together something "new" from more or less "our specs" was lightning fast IMO.
Hope the casework and quality will be the same, but I don't dubt this at this moment.
post #66 of 7724
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuh View Post
I am not sure if I have ever seen any vendor reacting this fast. I know there are a lot of good guys in the head-fi business, but at least putting together something "new" from more or less "our specs" was lightning fast IMO.
It's probably about time a vendor really listened to what the buyers wanted to buy its a win-win situation, proven by the E3 (which has given rise to the E5) and Kingwa's HDAMs. I'm sure he's eager to get this out ASAP and we're equally eager to know how it sounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciphercomplete View Post
Knobs, no buttons.
Agreed here for volume but for changing functions (e.g. bypassing the HP amp if possible) I still think buttons are better. I realised this when dealing with my SVDAC05's digital volume adjustment - a nice fat knob like on the Zero is much better
post #67 of 7724
Thread Starter 
I think that Kingwa pretty much has most of the basic concepts down pat, based on a modular system, such as the buffers and other circuits, so all he has to do is take the basic components he's already perfected and merge them into the device we desire.
post #68 of 7724
No offence to him and I know this doesn't affect the quality of the product but he also needs to fix up the engrish on the Compass page
post #69 of 7724
Quote:
Originally Posted by decayed.cell View Post
Agreed here for volume but for changing functions (e.g. bypassing the HP amp if possible) I still think buttons are better.
The idea is that with the knob/switch, you can keep it at your preferred setting without having to select it them every time you turn on the DAC/amp, with the ZERO and it's buttons if you don't use the default setting (DAC only + optical), you have to press buttons every time...(resets to default on shut-down) like activating the Head-Amp/pre-amp, switching to coax input... switch is better for this reason.

It is possible to implement memory "in the buttons" (and auto-detect for the input used, if only one is used at the time) but that would just add unnecessary complications and cost.
post #70 of 7724
Quote:
Originally Posted by decayed.cell View Post
No offence to him and I know this doesn't affect the quality of the product but he also needs to fix up the engrish on the Compass page
Have never heard of 'engrish'. Can you tell me where I may learn it?

~Phewl
post #71 of 7724
Hello,
Just found this thread from the Zero thread. Tons of pages and it doesn't even exist yet! Volume Knob instead of buttons, yes. Keep the Head amp, yes.

Is the estimated $250 a delivered price or is shipping on top of this?
post #72 of 7724
I think it is for the unit only.
post #73 of 7724
Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Hello,
Just found this thread from the Zero thread. Tons of pages and it doesn't even exist yet! Volume Knob instead of buttons, yes. Keep the Head amp, yes.

Is the estimated $250 a delivered price or is shipping on top of this?
Shipping extra.. confirmed.
post #74 of 7724
heres how the faceplate would look like...



I think I really like the rotary knob for selector unlike the buttons in Zero, looks more classic..
post #75 of 7724
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMnEd View Post
The idea is that with the knob/switch, you can keep it at your preferred setting without having to select it them every time you turn on the DAC/amp, with the ZERO and it's buttons if you don't use the default setting (DAC only + optical), you have to press buttons every time...(resets to default on shut-down) like activating the Head-Amp/pre-amp, switching to coax input... switch is better for this reason.

It is possible to implement memory "in the buttons" (and auto-detect for the input used, if only one is used at the time) but that would just add unnecessary complications and cost.
Oh you mean like a knob that has stepped increments at different "o'clocks" yeah okay that's a good idea. I was going to mention the memory function on the SVDAC05 which costs the same as a Zero but I guess a knob like that could cut costs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)