Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp) - Page 9

post #121 of 7724
Quote:
Originally Posted by csroc View Post
...I have no idea what the Moon and Earth part mean...
Audio-GD Discrete OPAs

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #122 of 7724
The answer to your question can be found on the first post on the first page.

Tthe "sun and moon part" are HDAMS which are discrete transistors meant as an upgrade to replace opamps found in most audio devices.
post #123 of 7724
ah-ha. Whoops. Thanks guys
post #124 of 7724
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumplertm View Post
Hi, this is my first post in head fi, but I have been an avid reader and fan of head fi.

The compass dac is available for orders now, may I know if this is a worth while upgrade from a zero dac?

I am torn between getting this to replace my zero dac (with moon opa) and a headphone amp (LDMKIII).

Please advice, I am using a beyer dt880 '05 250 ohm most of the time.

Cheers!

I don't think the compass will hit the market before a month, by the looks and what I can gather of compass as of now, it looks like a good upgrade to Zero.
But then, if I was you, I would wait for a while before further upgrading the Zero, till hands on review of the Compass start to come in..
post #125 of 7724
Thank God!

Quote:
With the help of two jumpers ( don't need any other tool, and will only take around 30 seconds ), users can choice the headphone amp gain at 14DB or 20DB, to suit different sensivity and impedance headphone, [...]
14db is still more than I'll need but it's acceptable. I think I'll definitely get one of those! Hooray!...

@ broodwich: I don't know how sensitive the W100 is, but I would guess >=104db and 48Ohm. I'm fine with a voltage gain between 2 and 4, thats around 6 to 12db. But, as I wrote above, 14db will be fine.

What do you guys think about the "parallel connection volume control" as upgrade option? Any thoughts?

best regards,
bearmann
post #126 of 7724
Thread Starter 
I only just read the updates to the compass page. I think Kingwa has far exceeded what I imagined he'd come up with for this. Sound tuning and gain options, not to mention the discreet and separately usable headphone amp should make this an exceptionally versatile unit.
post #127 of 7724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post
I only just read the updates to the compass page. I think Kingwa has far exceeded what I imagined he'd come up with for this. Sound tuning and gain options, not to mention the discreet and separately usable headphone amp should make this an exceptionally versatile unit.
Absolutely Curra, the more I read the more I am amazed at what Kingwa is doing - maybe he is a man with a mission !!
post #128 of 7724
I really wasn't in the market for spending this much on an amp (I'm only beginning) but I don't think I can pass this up. Looks like it'll be a great product!
post #129 of 7724
Just read this thread and this is exactly what I have been looking for actually. Just debating whether to bite the bullet and be one of the first buyers or wait for reviews.
post #130 of 7724
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandchak View Post
I don't think the compass will hit the market before a month, by the looks and what I can gather of compass as of now, it looks like a good upgrade to Zero.
But then, if I was you, I would wait for a while before further upgrading the Zero, till hands on review of the Compass start to come in..
Gee thanks for your advice, I quess I was overly excited to wait for the 1st batch to launch for reviews. Kingwa is really doing a great job tuning the system with his cans. Sadly dt880 wasn't one of the cans he used.
post #131 of 7724
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAQemUP View Post
Just read this thread and this is exactly what I have been looking for actually. Just debating whether to bite the bullet and be one of the first buyers or wait for reviews.
Either way, I don't think you will regret - this is my absolute and very strong feeling, and it derives from pure logic.. and of course this isn't only talking because my money is already on it !!!
post #132 of 7724
I'm going to get one because of all the rave reviews I've read on forums about audio-gd gear. Anyone interested in splitting shipping costs? Hey, I live in the same state as sandchak lol.

edit: it just occurred to me, do you think it would be possible for Kingwa to send a big package with smaller packages inside to the post office and have them open it and mail them domestically? I'm not sure what kind of postage he'll need to send a big package to the USA and then using domestic postage to mail smaller packages, but maybe it is cheaper than sending multiple international small packages? Just an idea, I'm not that keen on paying lots of money on international postage lol.
post #133 of 7724
Quote:
Originally Posted by haloxt View Post
I'm going to get one because of all the rave reviews I've read on forums about audio-gd gear. Anyone interested in splitting shipping costs? Hey, I live in the same state as sandchak lol.
Hang on haloxt.. I am from the country Georgia.. but its a great idea to get shipping split in your case, since you are from the US, and I am sure plenty from there would be getting the Compass..
post #134 of 7724
Why this news must come after I've purchased the Zero?
post #135 of 7724
One more good news, Zero still and I repeat "still" has a good resale value....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)