Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Finally ready to buy an good IEM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Finally ready to buy an good IEM

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Hello.
So I believe I finally can afford to do another purchase on something, and am planning on buying an Etymotic Er6i. But I would like one quick question answered, as I've searched a bit, but haven't found a definite answer.

Using whatever tips come with the ER6i, would I get a good enough seal/isolation to drum with?

I have a pair of vic firth drumming headphones which are great, but uncomfortable, and bad audio quality. And also have a pair of Sony IEMS, which I believe are EX83/85/91, not sure which, as its labeled differently because I bought it in Japan...these sonys do _not_ work for drumming.
post #2 of 15
I think with a good seal, the ER6i can get up to -30db isolation (earplug level), which should be enough, unless you're really just breaking the drums when you play.

You have to be sort of careful with the cables though.
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calexico View Post
I think with a good seal, the ER6i can get up to -30db isolation (earplug level), which should be enough, unless you're really just breaking the drums when you play.

You have to be sort of careful with the cables though.
Cool thanks

And I don't like fling around alot when I drum, I'm pretty sure the cables will be fine.
post #4 of 15
I just double-checked and Amazon's product description says this.
"The ER-6i features a noise isolation of 34-36 dB that far surpasses that of active noise-canceling earphones. "
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calexico View Post
I just double-checked and Amazon's product description says this.
"The ER-6i features a noise isolation of 34-36 dB that far surpasses that of active noise-canceling earphones. "
That claim is true - at least to the extent that active noise-canceling headphones do not work on the entire audible frequency spectrum. Most noise-canceling headphones only cancel lower-frequency sounds, leaving the midrange and treble frequencies of the ambient noises virtually untouched.
post #6 of 15
The er6i's give great isolation and comfort with the Shure olives. They're the first headphones I bought that got me back into audio! Don't forget they are on sale now for $47.99 at palm.com. Here's the link Palm Store - Accessories: Etymotic Research Black ER6i Headphone. It seems if you order over $50 there's free shipping. There also coupon codes floating around. I picked up two pairs with a leather lanyard for a little over $80 with tax and shipping. My original pair was eaten by my sister's dog! It still seems like the best deal for them now. I originally paid $70 for my first pair. Good luck!
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWLew View Post
The er6i's give great isolation and comfort with the Shure olives. They're the first headphones I bought that got me back into audio! Don't forget they are on sale now for $47.99 at palm.com. Here's the link Palm Store - Accessories: Etymotic Research Black ER6i Headphone. It seems if you order over $50 there's free shipping. There also coupon codes floating around. I picked up two pairs with a leather lanyard for a little over $80 with tax and shipping. My original pair was eaten by my sister's dog! It still seems like the best deal for them now. I originally paid $70 for my first pair. Good luck!
Yeah, jump on that one. I paid $75 at Amazon around eight months ago.

The price at the Palm store is a steal.
post #8 of 15
I wonder how long it'll last.
post #9 of 15
I am the proud owner of both and please trust me, if you are going the Etymotic route, do yourself a lifelong favor, get the ER4p's and not the 6's. Apples and oranges and a few months from, the difference in price will be a distant memory,
post #10 of 15
I just figure if you go straight to the top you save your wallet the favor having to upgrade multiple times saving cash in the end.
post #11 of 15
Just bear in mind, I also own a pair of er4p's along with a p to s adapter; unless your source is first rate, the er4p's are not as forgiving as the er6i's. I find this especially true in the highs. Without hearing them firsthand and purchasing them, you may not be a happy camper. I bought the er4p's at a good price, but depending on the source, I use the er6i's more. This is why I recommend the er6i. At the palm price, it is definitely a good bang for the price. If you like the etymotic signature, you can sell the er6i's with minimal loss (if any) and upgrade a lot easier than the other way around.
post #12 of 15
So you advise wearing headphones with less detail to mask the imperfections that a quality source brings to the surface?

Aren't we here to obtain the best sounding equipment that we can afford in our budgets?

Wearing the 6's to cover inefficiencies from a source, is like turning the radio up loud when your car starts making funny noises hoping they'll go away.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by immtbiker View Post
So you advise wearing headphones with less detail to mask the imperfections that a quality source brings to the surface?

Aren't we here to obtain the best sounding equipment that we can afford in our budgets?

Wearing the 6's to cover inefficiencies from a source, is like turning the radio up loud when your car starts making funny noises hoping they'll go away.
His main point is that the OP will have to spend more money than his budget allows on a source to satiate the ER4s needs. The best sounding equipment that he would be able to afford would be the ER6is according to the above poster.

I'm not on either side, but I wouldn't be able to afford the ER4s with an amp and a new source either.
post #14 of 15
Go for the ER 6.... their isolation is excellent. The ER 4 is obviously better but at the current $50 price youd be hard pressed to lose money on them if you decide to upgrade. As for the source thing - if your source sucks, the ER 4's (P or S) will flatout tell you, so unless you know your source is excellent, wait on the ER 4's.
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmacfan4321 View Post
His main point is that the OP will have to spend more money than his budget allows on a source to satiate the ER4s needs. The best sounding equipment that he would be able to afford would be the ER6is according to the above poster.

I'm not on either side, but I wouldn't be able to afford the ER4s with an amp and a new source either.
Thanks Tmacfan4321, that's the point I was trying to make. Not everyone here has deep pockets. We sometimes have to do with what we have.
Sometimes in this hobby, we see the trees but not the forest. I could buy what I want but I'm not sure if the other half agrees! However, I could block out the screaming with some nice iems!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Finally ready to buy an good IEM