Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions ›  my DAC design - pup1 DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

my DAC design - pup1 DAC - Page 37

post #541 of 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFireDragon View Post

Will you guys offer any kind of fully assembled units? If not, can I offer to assemble it for people?

No offense, but I believe posting those type of questions in the DIY section are outside the bounds of Head-Fi policy - or at least answering them is. wink.gif

post #542 of 674

Oh sorry, I didn't realize that. I just thought maybe someone would want this DAC but not have the equipment or dexterity to make one, so was just curious if you guys also build for people.

 

I think I'm too new on this forum so I can't go back to delete that post :(

post #543 of 674

That's OK - I just don't want to see this thread deleted. We probably have stretched the rules already a couple of times, but when you start talking about selling ready-built products, it turns into a commercial activity almost immediately.  Deleting a thread has happened before (not to this thread, but similar ones).

post #544 of 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post

The pupDAC website is now complete and live:

pupDAC

 

WOOF!

tongue_smile.giftongue_smile.giftongue_smile.gif

post #545 of 674
Hey Tom, just a quick update for the BOM.

Line 21 you specified the C0805C225K9RACTU as a Ceramic 2.2uf 10V X7R 10%. I believe you meant C0805C225K8RACTU which has the good values.

C0805C225K9RACTU is rated 6.3V. Not that it matters that much I know... But I just try to help in my way... biggrin.gif

The funny thing is that the 6.3V costs twice the price of the 10V... rolleyes.gif
post #546 of 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefuneste View Post

Hey Tom, just a quick update for the BOM.

Line 21 you specified the C0805C225K9RACTU as a Ceramic 2.2uf 10V X7R 10%. I believe you meant C0805C225K8RACTU which has the good values.

C0805C225K9RACTU is rated 6.3V. Not that it matters that much I know... But I just try to help in my way... biggrin.gif

The funny thing is that the 6.3V costs twice the price of the 10V... rolleyes.gif


Will it make a difference? Otherwise, it's time to go scrounging through the part drawer again. Am I right in thinking the only difference is the voltage rating?

post #547 of 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post

The pupDAC website is now complete and live:

pupDAC

 

 

P.S. The replacement front plates are at the anodizers now.  Hopefully, I can get them to the laser-etchers next week and then we're off and running!


w00t!

post #548 of 674
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootsit View Post


Will it make a difference? Otherwise, it's time to go scrounging through the part drawer again. Am I right in thinking the only difference is the voltage rating?

It won't make a difference.

As for the price difference between the parts, I usually choose the cheapest variant that meets the need and by preferred manufacturer. As time progresses, places like Mouser may changes prices based upon various things (like the prices when they purchased the stock). I suspect the prices on those parts have changed since I spec'ed the BOM originally, as I would have chosen the cheapest based upon size, value and rating (X7R), not counting voltage.
post #549 of 674

  Greetings everyone. New here.  I just built a couple grubdacs and am pretty happy with the experience and results.  Can anyone who's heard both the pupdac and grubdac describe the difference in sound quality?  This looks like a neat kit.  

post #550 of 674
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontius View Post

  Greetings everyone. New here.  I just built a couple grubdacs and am pretty happy with the experience and results.  Can anyone who's heard both the pupdac and grubdac describe the difference in sound quality?  This looks like a neat kit.  

tomb always seems to put together excellent kits.

As for the sound compared to my other designs, neither tomb or I will tend to comment as we have both interest in the design. Hopefully someone else will make comments for you.
post #551 of 674

Hi guys, I'm new here so excuse the newb question: what is the advantage of this low-powered (USB) amp compared to an amp that gets plugged straight into the wall? No need for a dedicated PSU? I would think AC powered amps get more juice to run the amps.

post #552 of 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkdale661 View Post

Hi guys, I'm new here so excuse the newb question: what is the advantage of this low-powered (USB) amp compared to an amp that gets plugged straight into the wall? No need for a dedicated PSU? I would think AC powered amps get more juice to run the amps.


This is a DAC, not an amp. There aren't many low amps that run off of USB that I can think of, most are battery for portable use, or have a power supply plugged into the wall for desktop use.

post #553 of 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkdale661 View Post

Hi guys, I'm new here so excuse the newb question: what is the advantage of this low-powered (USB) amp compared to an amp that gets plugged straight into the wall? No need for a dedicated PSU? I would think AC powered amps get more juice to run the amps.


If you are referring to the PupDAC, it's not an amp at all and not designed to drive headphones directly.

post #554 of 674

Anodizing looks real good on the replacement front plates.  I'm carrying them to the laser-etcher tomorrow.  Hopefully, we'll be ready to go by mid-week next week.smily_headphones1.gif

post #555 of 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post

Anodizing looks real good on the replacement front plates.  I'm carrying them to the laser-etcher tomorrow.  Hopefully, we'll be ready to go by mid-week next week.smily_headphones1.gif


PERFECT! I defend my thesis on Monday!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions ›  my DAC design - pup1 DAC