Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions ›  my DAC design - pup1 DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

my DAC design - pup1 DAC - Page 35

post #511 of 674

Hmm ... already answered a PM about this.  I think I gave the wrong impression.

 

A bad endplate does not ruin any of the rest of the case assembly.  When you buy these things in bulk, Hammond could care less which pieces you want - neither does the anodizer or the laser-etcher.  As far as they're concerned, their job was X pieces of metal - shaped, machined, and processed a certain way.  The replacement is simply to order and process more of the endplates.  The potential impact was really to me because the cost of the mistake is times 100 (how many cases I have invested).  Plus, it delays the date at which all of the kits will be ready - which is why I posted about it to let you all know what was going on.

 

So, there will be no "bad case kit" to sell or recoup - only 100 extra endplates with a laser-etch mistake.  If you want one of the bad endplates as a collectors item - I'll send you one - but it's not going to be any use beyond that. smily_headphones1.gif

post #512 of 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post

Hmm ... already answered a PM about this.  I think I gave the wrong impression.

 

A bad endplate does not ruin any of the rest of the case assembly.  When you buy these things in bulk, Hammond could care less which pieces you want - neither does the anodizer or the laser-etcher.  As far as they're concerned, their job was X pieces of metal - shaped, machined, and processed a certain way.  The replacement is simply to order and process more of the endplates.  The potential impact was really to me because the cost of the mistake is times 100 (how many cases I have invested).  Plus, it delays the date at which all of the kits will be ready - which is why I posted about it to let you all know what was going on.

 

So, there will be no "bad case kit" to sell or recoup - only 100 extra endplates with a laser-etch mistake.  If you want one of the bad endplates as a collectors item - I'll send you one - but it's not going to be any use beyond that. smily_headphones1.gif


If we were okay with the bad end-plate, and everything else was already done, could we perhaps place orders before you get the replacements?

post #513 of 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootsit View Post


If we were okay with the bad end-plate, and everything else was already done, could we perhaps place orders before you get the replacements?

What would I do with the perfectly good, correct endplates at that point?

 

Sometimes I think I reveal too much of the business side of things ... sorry.confused.gif


Edited by tomb - 11/1/12 at 10:55pm
post #514 of 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootsit View Post


If we were okay with the bad end-plate, and everything else was already done, could we perhaps place orders before you get the replacements?

What would I do with the perfectly good, correct endplates at that point?

 

Sometimes I think I reveal too much of the business side of things ... sorry.confused.gif


I was thinking about that as I typed it. Well, I would love an extra end plate, I'm 100% sure I'll find a use for it... I already have some in mind...

post #515 of 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootsit View Post


I was thinking about that as I typed it. Well, I would love an extra end plate, I'm 100% sure I'll find a use for it... I already have some in mind...

I will include the bad endplate as an extra in the first orders for as many that last.  The laser-etch guy has asked for several dozen that he's going to pass around as examples of his work - knowing that no one outside of this community is going to even realize the mistake, especially without the rest of the case.  That should still leave plenty to include in kits as extras for awhile, though.

post #516 of 674

Fair enough, and thanks for all the info. Knowing more of the 'bidness' end of it helps us appreciate more what you go through to make all this great stuff available to us.

post #517 of 674

hey guys just coming into this thread, ive searched but cant find any posts about when/where kits will be available. ill continue trying to find info in this thread. wanted to join the conversation as welltongue.gif

post #518 of 674
Thread Starter 
tomb is dealing with the issue of the error on the one end plate. He has to get the new end-plates, get them anodized and laser etched. So a least a few more weeks until the kits will be ready for sale, as far as I know.
post #519 of 674

ah gotcha. i built a grubdac a while ago. while i dont actually need to upgrade or anything, i think id just like to compare sound quality. and im hearing very good things about this, so i figured id get a kit while i can!

post #520 of 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobaltmute View Post

tomb is dealing with the issue of the error on the one end plate. He has to get the new end-plates, get them anodized and laser etched. So a least a few more weeks until the kits will be ready for sale, as far as I know.

Yes, this is exactly correct.

post #521 of 674

Excellent... gives me time to move into the massive money-pit my new house and set up a decent workbench for electronics.

post #522 of 674

I built the production version of the PCB just to make sure everything works:

pupDAC-prod4-sm.jpg pupDAC-prod5-sm.jpg pupDAC-prod3-sm.jpg

 

Cobaltmute's extended pad-traces on the PCB for the PCM chips worked great!  I had no issues whatsoever and it worked the first time, every time.smily_headphones1.gif

post #523 of 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post

I built the production version of the PCB just to make sure everything works:

pupDAC-prod4-sm.jpg pupDAC-prod5-sm.jpg pupDAC-prod3-sm.jpg

 

Cobaltmute's extended pad-traces on the PCB for the PCM chips worked great!  I had no issues whatsoever and it worked the first time, every time.smily_headphones1.gif


Looks great!!!

So...does that mean it's time?!

post #524 of 674

Not quite - I believe the new endplates have shipped, but I haven't received them yet.  When I do, it will still take a week to a week and a half to get them anodized and then laser-etched.

post #525 of 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post

Not quite - I believe the new endplates have shipped, but I haven't received them yet.  When I do, it will still take a week to a week and a half to get them anodized and then laser-etched.


Okay. This is shaping up perfectly! By the time that's done, and all, I will have completed my thesis and defended my MS, it'll be a little graduation present to myself!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions ›  my DAC design - pup1 DAC