Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Earbuds? What's the big deal?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Earbuds? What's the big deal? - Page 2

post #16 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Sitting in a beach chair
Ah, right, that is a brilliant idea. - Guess I was just so fed up with the PK3s falling out/sounding crappy today that I forgot the upsides.
However, since I own the G1 (won at the give-away) I think I'd rather use those instead.
post #17 of 34
Well I decided to stop using IEM's to give my ears a rest and now looking at earbuds, maybe a pair of OK2's. What makes me hesitate when getting near pulling the trigger on them is their comfort/fit and also the lack of isolation. The last earbuds I had were a pair that came with a creative vision m, didn't like fit or comfort on those. I'm looking for a pair to use in the gym where they have music playing. Might just go ahead and do it as head-direct does accept returns.
post #18 of 34
Earbuds have much better soundstage...i am in library rite now and listening to my MX400 with D2 Boa...listening to Black Ice - AC/DC @ 320 kbps mp3.

pure awesomeness
post #19 of 34
Also; some people, like me, can't use IEM's... don't I have the right to use a nice earbud while on the go?? ...back when I used them, I found it pretty frustrating to take out the IEM every time someone wanted to talk with me...
post #20 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 View Post
Earbuds have much better soundstage...
well that's not true.
post #21 of 34
When it comes to portable music, I absolutely must have heavy-duty isolation. I value my hearing too much to ruin it trying to compensate for the roaring din of street life with high volume.

When I was younger and dumber about headphones and knew nothing about IEMs or isolating earphones, I used cheap earbuds a lot, and probably listened at levels that were dangerous. I'm sure that hasn't helped my already-damaged hearing any at all.

If I need to cross a dangerous intersection, it's as simple as shutting the tunes off and pulling the HF5s out of my ears.
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tohni View Post
Exactly the opposite here. They fall out at every possible chance.
By "isolation" I mean "possibility to appreciate music fully"; it's not so much about being deaf. But not being run over is definitely a point to consider. I think that, at least at the price for the PK1 or PK2 (are there other decent earbuds?), you could definitely do better with full sized cans. So, IMO, there is something better on the go, and there is something better for serious listening. Or maybe I just have to listen to some serious earbuds (oxymoron?) apart from the PK3 to change my mind .
I'm sure there are full sized cans at that price point (and higher) that beat the PK1 in some areas, but the PK1 will also beat them in some areas. Overall, I think the PK1 holds its own. Also, full size cans don't fit in my back pocket. The only problem with them that I have is you need to turn them up deafeningly loud on the train, and my left ear can't get as good a seal as my right ear, so they keep falling out of that side, and there's less bass on that side too >_<
post #23 of 34
There is just one big bad thing about IEM... it's the isolation. Well.. trust me!!
I happen to have a very sensitive pair of ears, so I vistits an ear doctor time to time. My doctor is a big "No No IEM" person. First reason is that with a very good seal, the sound pressure or perceived sound pressure by ear drums increases that it's not healthy for ears. Some might just say what perceived sound pressure has anything to do with actually hurting ears.. however they do. I was amazed to find out too. Apparantely, ear drums are very subjective by nature that .. well.. let's just put there is something.. it's little hard to explain (more of actually i forgot what she said . And, another reason is that ears gotta breath!!! haha, some of you again might say "what??" but, just talk to your oldies.. my grandma used to tell me that a human breaths not only by nose and mouth but by all parts of body, and i didn't take it seriously. it's not that your ear will supply needed oxygen to your lung, but your bodily organs within your ear apparantly need fresh air themselves. So, mere act of plugging something air tight to your ears isn't healthy at all.
Just my 2 cents.
post #24 of 34
Stock earbuds are the only ones, that make sence to me, since the non-isolating nature of such headphones make them unuseable in most enviroments.

Stock earbuds are free though and can provide some simple electronic or pop-rock enjoyment while I'm riding my bicycle or running.
post #25 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
don't I have the right to use a nice earbud while on the go??
Sorry - No. This is about totalitarian IEM-ship.

Quote:
And, another reason is that ears gotta breath!!!
I think that if you don't use IEMs for too many hours on end, you are safe; and safer than with earbuds, too: the volume is relatively lower, as in the isolation that IEMs provide, you can hear your music more easily.
A pharmacist told me it's ok to use IEMs, as long as I don't overdo it. This way, the ears should still easily be able to clean themselves (earwax transportation).
I know that the elders' wisdom has its merits, but then: didn't medieval physicians believe that we actually breath through our skin?
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsurf View Post
There is just one big bad thing about IEM... it's the isolation. Well.. trust me!!
I happen to have a very sensitive pair of ears, so I vistits an ear doctor time to time. My doctor is a big "No No IEM" person. First reason is that with a very good seal, the sound pressure or perceived sound pressure by ear drums increases that it's not healthy for ears. Some might just say what perceived sound pressure has anything to do with actually hurting ears.. however they do. I was amazed to find out too. Apparantely, ear drums are very subjective by nature that .. well.. let's just put there is something.. it's little hard to explain (more of actually i forgot what she said . And, another reason is that ears gotta breath!!! haha, some of you again might say "what??" but, just talk to your oldies.. my grandma used to tell me that a human breaths not only by nose and mouth but by all parts of body, and i didn't take it seriously. it's not that your ear will supply needed oxygen to your lung, but your bodily organs within your ear apparantly need fresh air themselves. So, mere act of plugging something air tight to your ears isn't healthy at all.
Just my 2 cents.
So customs are just hearing killers?
post #27 of 34
My phone does not ring all the time and my colleagues don't talk all the time in the office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tohni View Post
Oh right, I should have made that clear: I mean highend earbuds. The crappy stock buds are out of the question.

@andychen:
I never thought about that. People around here talk a lot about listening to music in their workplace. Being a student, I haven't worked in any serious job so far, so maybe that's why I've never been in that position. I admit, for what you say, it makes sense to use earbuds. They still are rather pricey for that IMO; and, what is worse, you may be able to hear outside noise - but doesn't that take away from the quality of the music?
post #28 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
My phone does not ring all the time and my colleagues don't talk all the time in the office.
But isn't that what they say work is all about?

As I said, I agree that in your place I'd prefer earbuds, too.
post #29 of 34
my reasons for earbuds over IEM:

- I can't stand anything being stuck in my ear canal, the feeling gives me nausea. In contrast, I can wear the PK3 for hours without even feeling them.
- I walk a lot, and I don't understand how people can cope with the microphonics, especially with every step causing a "thump", and I need to be aware of my surroundings (cyclists, cars, etc...)
- In the office, it's relatively quiet, so full isolation is not necessary, and I need to be able to hear what goes on around me.

of course, all of these are highly subjective.
post #30 of 34
I don't ise earbuds, but I can see their merits.
I've had it happen to many times where people talk to you for a few seconds and I don't have a clue that they were even talking to me because I was wearing IEM's.

Also, where I live, I need to know who's walking behind me etc. because people my age (17ish) tend to be an open target for muggings, or just abuse from ####### kids.

It doesn't happen much, but I need to know when to turn around and start swinging, and IEM's don't help in this respect.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Earbuds? What's the big deal?