nice, gonna have to make me some of these tonight, would you reccommend making hybrids or just plain foam tips?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Custom IEMs compared to Universals? Last post on 1/12/12 at 6:40pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- So what exactly is the point of BA IEMs with more than 2-3 drivers? Last post on 9/20/11 at 4:30pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- World Tour: Need advice Last post on 4/20/11 at 5:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Needs a new Iem Last post on 2/26/11 at 8:27pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Noob needs help. Sending IEM's to Unique Melody for reshelling Last post on 12/23/10 at 6:33pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
REVIEW: Brainwavz S5 Specifications: (from Brainwavz site) Driver: 10mm Dynamic Rated Impedance: 16 Ω Frequency Range: 18Hz - 24kHz Sensitivity: 110 dB @ 1 mW Cable: 1.3m,...
Thanks to Greed for a 10-day loan of his Ref 1 set, which I fully burnt-in and auditioned. This set had the uber cable. Super Brief Review (it's all just what my ears heard, if you love your Ref 1...
This review is going to be updated once I receive a balanced cable and use this amp in balanced operation. I figured this amp needed a proper review on here, and there is a lot of good stuff to say...
Read a ton of reviews before purchasing. However, I will be honest and say that I was a bit let down by the bass. Don't get me wrong, its very detailed and balanced and perhaps there lies my issue,...
Schiit Ragnarok: Is It Love, or Is It Just Schiit? Introduction: This part is just to give you some background on my experience and how I’ve arrived at the Schiit Ragnarok...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
"How to" - Best custom tips for IEMs ever. IMHO. with pics - Page 10
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Hybrids work better for me as I have large ears.
I tried this today for my SE215's, the foam plugs I had on hand are too small for my canals. I had an idea while I was messing with them, I took the shure flex tips and turned them inside out. I cut the smaller rounded side of the ear plug and put a small phillips screwdriver to make the hole. I then put the inside out flex tips onto the screw driver and worked the foam onto the stem. This took a few tries to get it on there. I pushed the foam all the way down and waited for it to expand, then simply flipped the tips back over the right way and voila! I like that the flex tips are now stiffer due to the soft foam filling and I get better isolation to boot! I will take and post pictures when I figure out what the kids did with the camera.
Edit 2: I tried this with my sony hybrids this morning, I ripped the first one and will return to this when I acquire a punch, some of the foam needs to be removed out of the middle as it will only stretch so far.
I found a retractable pen with a sharp enough tip to punch through the foam. Much better and easier, I move the foam to the pen slide the sony hybrid onto the pen and work the punched foam onto it. Easy peasy! I am happy with the result, I am using bits that I had left over so its not uniform. I will try them out on my next break.
The earplug foam is much stiffer then the ER4 foam and will probably provide better isolation. I want to do some head to head with some non-moded hybrids.
I also found a wayward ER4 foam tip and "de-cored" it. The whole thing did fit in a large sony hybrid, although it looked like the hybrid was going to burst, so now I am going to cut the foam tip in half and try them in the larges.
The ER4 decored foam:
FYI The earplugs I used are the Hearos Ultimate Soft ear plugs, their blue extreme protection ones you can get free samples of from their website are quite a bit bigger. I will stop by the store on my home and see if I can find a few different sizes to play around with.
Blue is extreme protection and beige is the ultra soft
Still a bit confused about what foams are best. Certainly plugs that don't take long to expand or seal without expanding, that's immediately are the best, so that it's easy to remove them if someone is talking to you and put them back easily. Of course the durability matters. Would Hearos extremes be the right choice?
Sorry to drag this out of the woodwork but I just did this mod and the sound is oh so good, great isolation and so comfy also. Not sure how long they would last though but its a virtually free upgrade for me as I get these free from work.
Oh I see now thanks a lot! How do they fit? The gr07 nozzle is a little bigger so was it hard to get them on? Did u have to make the hole bigger? how does it compare to the stock ear tips (in sq and comfort)?
- "How to" - Best custom tips for IEMs ever. IMHO. with pics
- › Minneapolis Meet 9/20/14 8 seconds ago
- › I will surely hate myself 24 seconds ago
- › TTPOD T1-E Impressions thread 26 seconds ago
- › Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread 34 seconds ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 3 minutes ago
- › Stax SR-009 Channel Imbalance Trouble / Driver Problem? 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 5 minutes ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 7 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Crystal by MEElectronics In-Ear Headphones with Microphone Made... by indieman
- › Fidue A31s by djvkool
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)