nice, gonna have to make me some of these tonight, would you reccommend making hybrids or just plain foam tips?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Custom IEMs compared to Universals? Last post on 1/12/12 at 6:40pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- So what exactly is the point of BA IEMs with more than 2-3 drivers? Last post on 9/20/11 at 4:30pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- World Tour: Need advice Last post on 4/20/11 at 5:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Needs a new Iem Last post on 2/26/11 at 8:27pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Noob needs help. Sending IEM's to Unique Melody for reshelling Last post on 12/23/10 at 6:33pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Brainwavz S0 Full Disclosure: Brainwavz supplied the S0 for this review It seems Brainwavz has been cranking out the new releases in their IEM line up of late. This time they’ve entered the...
TL;DR Review of the AKG Q701’s Accentuated Mids: Enhances most female vocals, also forwards vocals, “livens” synthesizers in electronic music. Can cause vocals to sound uneven due to the 2khz...
“You know, I’ve never owned any Schi….um, any of your products..” I was saying to Jason Stoddard in LA in March. Indeed, the last time I’d sampled anything from his company was years ago at a meet...
Alessandro Music Series MS1i Black Walnut Cups $169 Big thanks to JoeDoe of Head-Fi as he performed the cup installation as well as the swapping out the headband. I paid a little more for mine...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
"How to" - Best custom tips for IEMs ever. IMHO. with pics - Page 10
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Hybrids work better for me as I have large ears.
I tried this today for my SE215's, the foam plugs I had on hand are too small for my canals. I had an idea while I was messing with them, I took the shure flex tips and turned them inside out. I cut the smaller rounded side of the ear plug and put a small phillips screwdriver to make the hole. I then put the inside out flex tips onto the screw driver and worked the foam onto the stem. This took a few tries to get it on there. I pushed the foam all the way down and waited for it to expand, then simply flipped the tips back over the right way and voila! I like that the flex tips are now stiffer due to the soft foam filling and I get better isolation to boot! I will take and post pictures when I figure out what the kids did with the camera.
Edit 2: I tried this with my sony hybrids this morning, I ripped the first one and will return to this when I acquire a punch, some of the foam needs to be removed out of the middle as it will only stretch so far.
I found a retractable pen with a sharp enough tip to punch through the foam. Much better and easier, I move the foam to the pen slide the sony hybrid onto the pen and work the punched foam onto it. Easy peasy! I am happy with the result, I am using bits that I had left over so its not uniform. I will try them out on my next break.
The earplug foam is much stiffer then the ER4 foam and will probably provide better isolation. I want to do some head to head with some non-moded hybrids.
I also found a wayward ER4 foam tip and "de-cored" it. The whole thing did fit in a large sony hybrid, although it looked like the hybrid was going to burst, so now I am going to cut the foam tip in half and try them in the larges.
The ER4 decored foam:
FYI The earplugs I used are the Hearos Ultimate Soft ear plugs, their blue extreme protection ones you can get free samples of from their website are quite a bit bigger. I will stop by the store on my home and see if I can find a few different sizes to play around with.
Blue is extreme protection and beige is the ultra soft
Still a bit confused about what foams are best. Certainly plugs that don't take long to expand or seal without expanding, that's immediately are the best, so that it's easy to remove them if someone is talking to you and put them back easily. Of course the durability matters. Would Hearos extremes be the right choice?
Sorry to drag this out of the woodwork but I just did this mod and the sound is oh so good, great isolation and so comfy also. Not sure how long they would last though but its a virtually free upgrade for me as I get these free from work.
Oh I see now thanks a lot! How do they fit? The gr07 nozzle is a little bigger so was it hard to get them on? Did u have to make the hole bigger? how does it compare to the stock ear tips (in sq and comfort)?
- "How to" - Best custom tips for IEMs ever. IMHO. with pics
- › Q701 impressions thread 18 seconds ago
- › Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread 27 seconds ago
- › What was your first headphone purchase after coming to Head-Fi? 1 minute ago
- › mod: Monoporice 8323 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon &... 2 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 3 minutes ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by shotgunshane
- › AKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature... by Nec3
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by CasperBxl
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by Currawong
- › Alessandro MS1i by Mshenay
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by ringofoaksmusic
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by AManAnd88Keys
- › Dunu DN-1000 by chupacabra314
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Loquah
- › Sennheiser HD 201 Headphones by LMNproyect
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)