nice, gonna have to make me some of these tonight, would you reccommend making hybrids or just plain foam tips?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Custom IEMs compared to Universals? Last post on 1/12/12 at 6:40pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- So what exactly is the point of BA IEMs with more than 2-3 drivers? Last post on 9/20/11 at 4:30pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- World Tour: Need advice Last post on 4/20/11 at 5:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Needs a new Iem Last post on 2/26/11 at 8:27pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Noob needs help. Sending IEM's to Unique Melody for reshelling Last post on 12/23/10 at 6:33pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Disclaimer I would like to give a special thanks to Pandora for having these sent out to me. I am not affiliated with Brainwavz in any way and this product was given in exchange for my honest...
The introductionSony has recently just started to get back at the game to create portable players, and so they too wants something to stand for their Summit of inventions, technologies. ...
[[SPOILER]] Manufacturer: iFi AudioModel: micro iDAC2Price: $349 at amazon.com Volume Control: Precision analogue volume control knob.Power Connector: USB A, USB BBattery Life: N/AInputs: 1x USB...
[[SPOILER]] Manufacturer: HRT Model: microStreamer Price: $169 at amazon.com Volume Control: Digitally-activated analog attenuator, no volume control on unit itself.Power Connector: USB, mini...
[[SPOILER]] Manufacturer: iFi AudioModel: micro iDSDPrice: $499 at musicdirect.com Volume Control: Precision analogue volume control knob (On/Off)Power Connector: USB 3.0 Male, USB 3.0...
"How to" - Best custom tips for IEMs ever. IMHO. with pics - Page 10
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #137 of 2004/16/12 at 11:32am
Hybrids work better for me as I have large ears.
Quote:post #138 of 2004/16/12 at 11:45amNow those are real hybrids. I didn't like how Sony labeled their replacement tips as 'hybrids'. Kind of misleading imo.Quote:Originally Posted by dziendobry
I tried this today for my SE215's, the foam plugs I had on hand are too small for my canals. I had an idea while I was messing with them, I took the shure flex tips and turned them inside out. I cut the smaller rounded side of the ear plug and put a small phillips screwdriver to make the hole. I then put the inside out flex tips onto the screw driver and worked the foam onto the stem. This took a few tries to get it on there. I pushed the foam all the way down and waited for it to expand, then simply flipped the tips back over the right way and voila! I like that the flex tips are now stiffer due to the soft foam filling and I get better isolation to boot! I will take and post pictures when I figure out what the kids did with the camera.
Edit 2: I tried this with my sony hybrids this morning, I ripped the first one and will return to this when I acquire a punch, some of the foam needs to be removed out of the middle as it will only stretch so far.
I found a retractable pen with a sharp enough tip to punch through the foam. Much better and easier, I move the foam to the pen slide the sony hybrid onto the pen and work the punched foam onto it. Easy peasy! I am happy with the result, I am using bits that I had left over so its not uniform. I will try them out on my next break.
The earplug foam is much stiffer then the ER4 foam and will probably provide better isolation. I want to do some head to head with some non-moded hybrids.
I also found a wayward ER4 foam tip and "de-cored" it. The whole thing did fit in a large sony hybrid, although it looked like the hybrid was going to burst, so now I am going to cut the foam tip in half and try them in the larges.
The ER4 decored foam:
FYI The earplugs I used are the Hearos Ultimate Soft ear plugs, their blue extreme protection ones you can get free samples of from their website are quite a bit bigger. I will stop by the store on my home and see if I can find a few different sizes to play around with.
Blue is extreme protection and beige is the ultra softpost #139 of 2007/2/12 at 11:21ampost #140 of 20010/21/12 at 8:16pmpost #141 of 20010/21/12 at 9:00pmpost #142 of 20011/18/12 at 2:59pmpost #143 of 2001/12/13 at 9:35pmpost #144 of 2007/18/13 at 2:14pm
Still a bit confused about what foams are best. Certainly plugs that don't take long to expand or seal without expanding, that's immediately are the best, so that it's easy to remove them if someone is talking to you and put them back easily. Of course the durability matters. Would Hearos extremes be the right choice?post #145 of 2008/10/13 at 6:28pm
Sorry to drag this out of the woodwork but I just did this mod and the sound is oh so good, great isolation and so comfy also. Not sure how long they would last though but its a virtually free upgrade for me as I get these free from work.post #146 of 2008/14/13 at 9:54ampost #147 of 2008/25/13 at 10:14pmpost #148 of 2008/25/13 at 10:15pmpost #149 of 2008/25/13 at 10:19pmpost #150 of 2008/25/13 at 10:34pm
Oh I see now thanks a lot! How do they fit? The gr07 nozzle is a little bigger so was it hard to get them on? Did u have to make the hole bigger? how does it compare to the stock ear tips (in sq and comfort)?
thanksReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- "How to" - Best custom tips for IEMs ever. IMHO. with pics
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP... 12 seconds ago
- › Audio gd NFB-10ES AND DI-V3 13 seconds ago
- › Caffeine addicts anonymous 26 seconds ago
- › Upcoming DAP from xDuoo - the X10! 56 seconds ago
- › Vinshine Audio DAC R2R-REF w/ soekris 58 seconds ago
- › Looking for a DAP replacing my X3 1st gen 2 minutes ago
- › Connect speakers to my amp/dac 2 minutes ago
- › Review: 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphone with In-line... 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 5 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 6 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz B150 by dnun8086
- › SONY digital audio player Walkman NW-WM1Z N (Gold) by Whitigir
- › iFi Micro iDAC2 USB DAC/HP Amp by Sil3nce
- › HRT - MicroStreamer - High Performance External USB Soundcard and... by Sil3nce
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Sil3nce
- › Chord MoJo by Sil3nce
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by Sil3nce
- › Focal Elear by ngoshawk
- › FiiO X5 High-res Portable Music Player by GhostPhantom
- › ampsandsound Kenzie Headphone Amplifier by ngoshawk
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear