nice, gonna have to make me some of these tonight, would you reccommend making hybrids or just plain foam tips?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Custom IEMs compared to Universals? Last post on 1/12/12 at 6:40pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- So what exactly is the point of BA IEMs with more than 2-3 drivers? Last post on 9/20/11 at 4:30pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- World Tour: Need advice Last post on 4/20/11 at 5:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Needs a new Iem Last post on 2/26/11 at 8:27pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Noob needs help. Sending IEM's to Unique Melody for reshelling Last post on 12/23/10 at 6:33pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Advanced AcousticWerkes Q Earphone Review - Expatinjapan Head Pie Advanced AcousticWerkes Q earphone with the Hifiman MegaMini Dap Advanced AcousticWerkes Q...
First of all, fantastic sound. Not necessarily *non-biased*, but possesses smooth highs, fantastically defined mids, and rich, powerful, yet completely not overwhelming bass. I accidentally broke...
Thinksound On2 Review: A Wonderful Wooden On-Ear With A Small Ecological Footprint I like Thinksound products. I always have, with the exception of the On1. It was a product that had so much...
Hidizs AP60 Review: A Tiny Little Fighter Hidizs is a Chinese company that’s been building DAPs for number of years now, starting with their current flagship, the AP100, a device I’ve really...
REVIEW: Remax RM-800MD Specifications: Driver: Knowles Balanced armature + 9.2mm dynamic driver Impedance: 16ohm Sensitivity: 98dB Frequency Response: 20Hz-20 kHz Price: U$D...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
"How to" - Best custom tips for IEMs ever. IMHO. with pics - Page 10
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Hybrids work better for me as I have large ears.
I tried this today for my SE215's, the foam plugs I had on hand are too small for my canals. I had an idea while I was messing with them, I took the shure flex tips and turned them inside out. I cut the smaller rounded side of the ear plug and put a small phillips screwdriver to make the hole. I then put the inside out flex tips onto the screw driver and worked the foam onto the stem. This took a few tries to get it on there. I pushed the foam all the way down and waited for it to expand, then simply flipped the tips back over the right way and voila! I like that the flex tips are now stiffer due to the soft foam filling and I get better isolation to boot! I will take and post pictures when I figure out what the kids did with the camera.
Edit 2: I tried this with my sony hybrids this morning, I ripped the first one and will return to this when I acquire a punch, some of the foam needs to be removed out of the middle as it will only stretch so far.
I found a retractable pen with a sharp enough tip to punch through the foam. Much better and easier, I move the foam to the pen slide the sony hybrid onto the pen and work the punched foam onto it. Easy peasy! I am happy with the result, I am using bits that I had left over so its not uniform. I will try them out on my next break.
The earplug foam is much stiffer then the ER4 foam and will probably provide better isolation. I want to do some head to head with some non-moded hybrids.
I also found a wayward ER4 foam tip and "de-cored" it. The whole thing did fit in a large sony hybrid, although it looked like the hybrid was going to burst, so now I am going to cut the foam tip in half and try them in the larges.
The ER4 decored foam:
FYI The earplugs I used are the Hearos Ultimate Soft ear plugs, their blue extreme protection ones you can get free samples of from their website are quite a bit bigger. I will stop by the store on my home and see if I can find a few different sizes to play around with.
Blue is extreme protection and beige is the ultra soft
Still a bit confused about what foams are best. Certainly plugs that don't take long to expand or seal without expanding, that's immediately are the best, so that it's easy to remove them if someone is talking to you and put them back easily. Of course the durability matters. Would Hearos extremes be the right choice?
Sorry to drag this out of the woodwork but I just did this mod and the sound is oh so good, great isolation and so comfy also. Not sure how long they would last though but its a virtually free upgrade for me as I get these free from work.
Oh I see now thanks a lot! How do they fit? The gr07 nozzle is a little bigger so was it hard to get them on? Did u have to make the hole bigger? how does it compare to the stock ear tips (in sq and comfort)?
- "How to" - Best custom tips for IEMs ever. IMHO. with pics
- › Help Audioengine A2 Repair 12 seconds ago
- › Focal Elear - Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 1 minute ago
- › High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and... 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman Megamini 1st Impression 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here. 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › WTB/WTT: Chord 2Qute DAC 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes Q by ExpatinJapan
- › RHA MA750i by Peter Zhang
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by Cinder
- › Hidizs AP60 HiFi Mini Bluetooth Lossless MP3 Portable Music Player... by Cinder
- › Remax RM-800MD by Zelda
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by killerline
- › Over Ear Headphone Shareme 4.1 Bluetooth Foldable Headsets with... by genclaymore
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by Brooko
- › AGPTek H01 HiFi MP3 Player with Volume Knob &2.4 Inch HD... by Peddler
- › V-MODA Crossfade Wireless Over-Ear Headphone - Rouge by Peddler
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...