New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Klipsch X10 or Custom 3s? - Page 2

post #16 of 52
which one does a better job with orchestral music?
and how is do the fit compare? I have read the X10's are extremely comfortable, but how do the Custom 3's fit?
post #17 of 52
Hi, where can you get that price? coming from ER4P, I tested X10 before and really love it, I tested C3 and X10 on the same day I really like X10 compare to C3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GosuEric View Post
Yeah, another one of these threads.

They're both similar in price ($150 vs $175 after half off) and from what I've heard both are fantastic headphones, however having slightly different sounds.

appreciate it.
post #18 of 52
the price is a steal, just buy both I would say ^ ^
post #19 of 52
I have tried just about every IEM including shure 530 and westone um2....i decided to try the x10 and was initially disappointed because the supplied tips didnt work well for me...i decided to try the small comply 100 tips and lo and behold...perfection....the small size of the x10 allowed it to fit deep in my ear and the comply tips allowed them to be comfortable and provide outstanding isolation....now,the sound feels like it is coming from inside my head....the separation is outstanding and they are so light and small that i can wear them for long periods of time easily without needing to put the volume up high....as i said,i was disappointed orginally until i tried the comply tips and now i love them....sometimes you really have to experiement..the tips make a huge difference...the reason i dont use my shure 530 much is that i cannot achieve the same kind of isolation with them and i have tried every tip possible with them as well...
post #20 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
I'll chime in for the custom 3's.

Like Taikero said, they have more of a flat (yet very detailed) response, and quite warm. Bass is more than satisfactory for me, but it's not the primary focus of the custom 3's sound signature. However, in bass-heavy music (death metal that relies heavily on double bass blastbeats, for example) they will showcase the woofer driver, crushing your skull nicely. They also do cymbal crashes and guitar distortion very well.

Their strong point IMHO is detail, they are more than up to the task of handling complicated music such as technical death metal, progressive rock and jazz fusion. Identifying individual instruments within the songs is no problem with these.

If they had a weakness, I guess soundstage/imaging could be better, but it's a minor quibble. Shure olive foamies fit on the custom 3's, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm still waiting for the 10-pack I ordered to arrive, so I can have better isolation with them.
Could not let the Custom 3s sit in the box (since I am getting the Westone 3s, decided I didn't really need the Custom 3s any more). So I unpacked them, and I am pleasantly surprised at their sound, considering some Head-Fi'ers didn't really like their sound nor style (could not get a good seal). Right out of the box, the gels on them worked for me. Decided to keep them, give them to my wife, who had been using the Senn CX 300s, for the small footprint, but complained that they didn't stay in her ears. The Custom 3s will more than stay put.

Anyway, I also own the X10s. For anyone on the fence, I would say the X10s are more to my liking, mainly because of the ease of use and a little more sparkle on the mids/highs. I just love those little buggers, as they are such a pleasure to wear, remove, etc.

Of course, really looking forward to the Westones. Choosing between the X10s and the Custom 3s, to me at least, is a tough one, but if I had to pick one, I would pay the extra $25 (during the sale) and get the X10s. If you can't bring yourself to spend the extra cash, my personal view is the Custom 3s are certainly worth $150 (but not $300).
post #21 of 52
How would you compare the X10s to the SA6s?
post #22 of 52
And I assume the Image X10s are the best value in town at $175?
post #23 of 52
Do you want something easy to walk around with, and small and compact? Or do you want something that'll sound crisper? These should not be compared. The x10's should be compared with Ety's. And the C3's should be compared with shure se420
post #24 of 52
Surely on sonic merits and characteristics, any headphones should be able to be compared
post #25 of 52
I'm getting the X10's over the C3's but don't know what size comply tips to get. Can anyone give us a sense of this using the size of the complies with respect to the size of the X10's stock tips? Would definitely help me out at least :P
post #26 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by schneller View Post
How would you compare the X10s to the SA6s?
Very similar, but when you consider the comfort factor, which I value (maybe more than others), I choose the X10s. The Sleeks are a little darker, more mid-forward than the X10s, but it's somewhat of a tossup SQ-wise. But, when you add in the comfort factor, I prefer the X10s. In fact, with the Westones on the way, and the X10s and Custom 3s here, I just sold the Sleeks. It does not mean I don't find the Sleeks a good IEM, quite the contrary. But as many of us know, we change. I have nothing but respect for the Sleek team, etc. I just could not afford to carry so many mid-to-high quality IEMs. Made no sense. So someone got a very good deal on a pair of SA6s. The Head-Fi way...spend more money, then pass on some good stuff at a healthy discount.

As I said, I gave the Custom 3s to my wife, replacing her CX300s. She didn't want the Sleeks, as she has very small ear canals and with the teeny Klipsch gels, favored the Custom 3 comfort over the Sleeks with their small flanges. She had a choice, Sleeks or Custom 3s, and chose the latter. I was going to sell/return whichever one she didn't want.
post #27 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstarn06 View Post
Very similar, but when you consider the comfort factor, which I value (maybe more than others), I choose the X10s. The Sleeks are a little darker, more mid-forward than the X10s, but it's somewhat of a tossup SQ-wise. But, when you add in the comfort factor, I prefer the X10s. In fact, with the Westones on the way, and the X10s and Custom 3s here, I just sold the Sleeks. It does not mean I don't find the Sleeks a good IEM, quite the contrary. But as many of us know, we change. I have nothing but respect for the Sleek team, etc. I just could not afford to carry so many mid-to-high quality IEMs. Made no sense. So someone got a very good deal on a pair of SA6s. The Head-Fi way...spend more money, then pass on some good stuff at a healthy discount.

As I said, I gave the Custom 3s to my wife, replacing her CX300s. She didn't want the Sleeks, as she has very small ear canals and with the teeny Klipsch gels, favored the Custom 3 comfort over the Sleeks with their small flanges. She had a choice, Sleeks or Custom 3s, and chose the latter. I was going to sell/return whichever one she didn't want.
Even though I understand your practical and/or finacial reasoning, and I agree with the notion of change and evolution etc, I'm shocked you dropped the Sleeks after being such a big advocate! Still, as you cite, somethig had to give.
post #28 of 52
Believe me, I was using the Sleeks as my "stationery" IEMs, for home, planes, etc. But I figure the Westone 3s will replace them in that role. I just favor the X10s for walking, because of their comfort and ease of use. So as you say, something had to give. Hey, maybe the Westone 3s will not blow away the Sleeks at all. But I have to think they will be an excellent IEM, and an improvement over the Sleeks. So practical decisions had to be made.

I still think highly of the Sleeks, especially for the price. But I still think highly of my old Honda Accord Wagon, too, but now I drive a different brand. Considering I paid only $60 more for the Westone 3s than the Sleeks, I think it's the way to go. I wouldn't pay $400 for any phones.
post #29 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstarn06 View Post
Believe me, I was using the Sleeks as my "stationery" IEMs, for home, planes, etc. But I figure the Westone 3s will replace them in that role. I just favor the X10s for walking, because of their comfort and ease of use. So as you say, something had to give. Hey, maybe the Westone 3s will not blow away the Sleeks at all. But I have to think they will be an excellent IEM, and an improvement over the Sleeks. So practical decisions had to be made.

I still think highly of the Sleeks, especially for the price. But I still think highly of my old Honda Accord Wagon, too, but now I drive a different brand. Considering I paid only $60 more for the Westone 3s than the Sleeks, I think it's the way to go. I wouldn't pay $400 for any phones.
Mate, you're one of the most rational head-fiers I know! My shock is just pure surprise and in no way am I being judgmental lol. I'd never suspect a descision you made to be less than well reasoned (goin by the countless posts I-ve read of yours that reveal how considerately you think and process). I might have to make room in my IEM inventory for the 3's yet, myself (but then, if I can afford to, I might just not).
post #30 of 52
tstarn06: Thank you for your replies. You are being so helpful!

For trance music: Custom 3 or X10?

Build quality/durability: Custom 3 or X10?

At $150 and $175, respectively, would you say that the Custom 3 and X10 are the best values on the market at the moment?

Trance music sample: YouTube - Imogen Heap - Hide & Seek (Tiësto's In Search Of Sunrise 6)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: