Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 3 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone 3 Impressions Thread - Page 121

post #1801 of 2135

Amped or unamped I find that W3 is the only IEM I have ever heard that allows big bass and extreme detail to co-exist.  I assume it's because of the well done crossover.

post #1802 of 2135

I have officially donated my Westone 3's to my girlfriend.

 

WITH teeny tiny comply tips to fit her ears.

 

She's using an iPhone 4 as a source.

 

BROWNIE POINTS ARE OFF THE CHARTS.

 

RECORD BREAKING BROWNIE POINTS.

post #1803 of 2135

The problem is that I've done the burn-in phase through my bad soundcard. The whole burn-in phase is inadequate hardware used with biased sound playback and without a decent bass frequencies.

 

Used burn-in sounds:
white noise, pink noise and Brownian noise
various burn-in CDs and samples

 

For now I am completely baffled by the actual ability of the IEM's so I can hardly judge whether there is something 'not good'. Can you tell me if this is a problem?

 

I also made ​​a topic for this, can you take a look? http://www.head-fi.org/t/683417/burn-with-poor-inadequate-hardware

 

THANKS!

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post
 

I have officially donated my Westone 3's to my girlfriend.

 

WITH teeny tiny comply tips to fit her ears.

 

She's using an iPhone 4 as a source.

 

BROWNIE POINTS ARE OFF THE CHARTS.

 

RECORD BREAKING BROWNIE POINTS.

 

and why such a generous gesture? :)

post #1804 of 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posmentis View Post
 

 

and why such a generous gesture? :)

 

Ah. She is travelling to Vietnam for a few weeks with her sister on holiday, and recently she's been quite jealous of a few of my IEMs, specifically the Westone 3 - She absolutely loves the sound signature and comfort, especially after trying the tiny comply tips. So I thought I would do the right thing, and give her the crown of my universal collection, and a volume attenuator.

 

It might be because she's great! 


..Or just quietly, so she better understands me sinking SO much money into this bottomless pit of money spending hobby.

But anyway. She listens mostly to top 40's and pop, and through an iDevice, I honestly couldn't think of a better universal for that kind of situation - a perfect pairing! 

post #1805 of 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post
 

 

Ah. She is travelling to Vietnam for a few weeks with her sister on holiday, and recently she's been quite jealous of a few of my IEMs, specifically the Westone 3 - She absolutely loves the sound signature and comfort, especially after trying the tiny comply tips. So I thought I would do the right thing, and give her the crown of my universal collection, and a volume attenuator.

 

It might be because she's great! 


..Or just quietly, so she better understands me sinking SO much money into this bottomless pit of money spending hobby.

But anyway. She listens mostly to top 40's and pop, and through an iDevice, I honestly couldn't think of a better universal for that kind of situation - a perfect pairing! 

Nice, but you realise this is the start of another slippery slope don't you?  Next up will be custom tips when she gets fed up of replacing complys :P

post #1806 of 2135

Oh man.

 

Imagine the day my girlfriend says to me "Darling, I really think you should try to use a dynamic for bass in your next custom. A hybrid could be an interesting idea."

Or "Darling, our next amplifier needs a few more valves."

Or "Your next headphones need more wood."

 

Or... Yeah, you get the idea. :P

 

post #1807 of 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post
 

 

Ah. She is travelling to Vietnam for a few weeks with her sister on holiday, and recently she's been quite jealous of a few of my IEMs, specifically the Westone 3 - She absolutely loves the sound signature and comfort, especially after trying the tiny comply tips. So I thought I would do the right thing, and give her the crown of my universal collection, and a volume attenuator.

 

It might be because she's great! 


..Or just quietly, so she better understands me sinking SO much money into this bottomless pit of money spending hobby.

But anyway. She listens mostly to top 40's and pop, and through an iDevice, I honestly couldn't think of a better universal for that kind of situation - a perfect pairing! 

 

But still, your life now is without W3s ... can't imagine... :)

 

what your op for now?

 

 

post #1808 of 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posmentis View Post
 

 

But still, your life now is without W3s ... can't imagine... :)

 

what your op for now?

 

 

 

Still have my ES3X ;)


Edited by White Lotus - 9/28/13 at 2:40pm
post #1809 of 2135

Hi, I'm a new W3 user (coming from my lovely IE8s) and I'm a little overwhelmed by the sound I'm getting. I'm using a SD card modded and Rockboxed 5.5 iPod and using flac for 99% of my source material. I have  T3 and a JDS cMoyamps and I'm currently using the cMoy since the T3 made little difference. I'm using the stock silicone tips but I'm waiting for some T100 Complys (I used the T500 on my IE8s and loved the comfort and isolation).

 

Now in terms of getting the sweet spot with the W3s I'm struggling. This could be due to several issues and I'm trying to troubleshoot. The main problem is that the upper mids seem somewhat recessed (e.g. snares sound 'capped') plus sometimes the bass seems a bit bloated without definition. The rest sounds amazing though and I think this is why I can notice these 'issues'. I've been messing with the Rockbox EQ which has had some impact and the cMoy with bass boost on does tighten things up (in my opinion) and I have got close to the sound I was hoping for but still can't seem to hone in on getting the drums and vocals sounding sweet.

 

I know that the W3 is sensitive to the type of tips you use but do you think the Complys would change the sound that much? I'm also looking at BioScienceGeek cMoy with a choice of op amps to mess with (I also love his customization options!). Do W3 owners feel that amping (with a sub $200 amp) improves things greatly? Are you EQ-ing or just using a flat output? Anyone got any thoughts on a complimentary op-amp? Would an 18v cMoy make any difference (maybe make them too loud?). You can tell I'm not an expert but I do know what I like sound-wise. I'm hoping to get equal detail across the board (and I'm a bit shocked that the W3s don't seem to be able to provide that :(

 

I'm interested in any advice or user's experience. I've read most of the reviews and a lot of the 100+ pages on this thread but not much around the type of info I'm looking for.

 

Many thanks for any thoughts you'd care to share.


Edited by virgopunk - 9/30/13 at 3:41am
post #1810 of 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopunk View Post
 

 do you think the Complys would change the sound that much?

 


Yup. 

post #1811 of 2135
Excellent. Waiting for the post man with sweaty hands
:-)
post #1812 of 2135

As much as I have wanted to get use to a silicone tip, the comply foam tips always seemed to sound most natural to me with W3.  I think it also makes the recessed midrange sound a little more present.

 

Amp not required at all and I don't think it helps it any either. 

post #1813 of 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
 

As much as I have wanted to get use to a silicone tip, the comply foam tips always seemed to sound most natural to me with W3.  I think it also makes the recessed midrange sound a little more present.

 

Amp not required at all and I don't think it helps it any either. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
 

As much as I have wanted to get use to a silicone tip, the comply foam tips always seemed to sound most natural to me with W3.  I think it also makes the recessed midrange sound a little more present.

 

Amp not required at all and I don't think it helps it any either. 

 

+1 for the comply foam tips!

post #1814 of 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
 

"...it also makes the recessed midrange sound a little more present."

 

Interesting that you've mentioned the recessed mid-range. I agree but I'm surprised this a negative feature of a $200+ IEM. Having been used to IE8s I was expecting a bit more definition in the Westone mids.

post #1815 of 2135

Comply's are fantastic with the W3.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 3 Impressions Thread