Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 3 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone 3 Impressions Thread - Page 117

post #1741 of 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post

So, after having these on loan from a friend, I decided I had to source a pair, there's something about the sound I enjoy, a touch mid bassy at times and maybe a little warm but beyond that is a nice size headstage, tone, detailing levels and imaging. Also, I have never heard another IEM do Taylor Swifts vocals so much justice. It was at that moment while listening to "Hey Stephen" yesterday I just had to have a pair of W3. After offering to buy the loaner pair I am now the proud owner of Westone 3.

I'm using them amped with C&C BH / Colorfly CK4+, silver plated cable, they also sound exceptional straight from Colorfly C3 headphone out.

They don't really get along with Hifiman HM-601 though, to dark, foggy.

That's right, these phones don't pair well just with any sound source, and to me they appear to be a lot more sensitive than any other pair of IEMs I've tried in the past. When I plug these to my Asus Xonar sound card, I have to adjust the sound level to the minimum to prevent them from blowing, yet the same sound card is unable to drive my big cans (HD-600). Also, the noise floor is very high when the westies are paired with some players, indicating that the x-over circuitry may already does a great deal of amplification. Overall I must say these are likely the best universal IEMs for the price, when the grading for fit, comfort and sound combined. I made several attempts to sell them so I can try the w4, but I always change my mind at the last minute, I can't part with them...

post #1742 of 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrafts View Post

That's right, these phones don't pair well just with any sound source, and to me they appear to be a lot more sensitive than any other pair of IEMs I've tried in the past. When I plug these to my Asus Xonar sound card, I have to adjust the sound level to the minimum to prevent them from blowing, yet the same sound card is unable to drive my big cans (HD-600). Also, the noise floor is very high when the westies are paired with some players, indicating that the x-over circuitry may already does a great deal of amplification. Overall I must say these are likely the best universal IEMs for the price, when the grading for fit, comfort and sound combined. I made several attempts to sell them so I can try the w4, but I always change my mind at the last minute, I can't part with them...

I find them rather addictive, and you're right they're rather sensitive, going from memory even more so than my old TF10. I want to buy a pure silver interconnect to try and lift just a hint of warmth however, I am really enjoying them when the time suits. I feed them many acoustic and rock genres along with ambient music, they're rather versatile suiting many genre's which is fine by me. I spent 4 hours listening last night right through to 4am in the morning.

I also want to try W4, just waiting for to demo a pair or find the right price. W3 come across to me an IEM that you must aquire taste for, they have a certain vibe I think one needs to learn to fully enjoy them.

Pretty full on bass when called upon for BA drivers!
post #1743 of 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post

So, after having these on loan from a friend, I decided I had to source a pair, there's something about the sound I enjoy, a touch mid bassy at times and maybe a little warm but beyond that is a nice size headstage, tone, detailing levels and imaging. Also, I have never heard another IEM do Taylor Swifts vocals so much justice. It was at that moment while listening to "Hey Stephen" yesterday I just had to have a pair of W3. After offering to buy the loaner pair I am now the proud owner of Westone 3.

I'm using them amped with C&C BH / Colorfly CK4+, silver plated cable, they also sound exceptional straight from Colorfly C3 headphone out.

They don't really get along with Hifiman HM-601 though, to dark, foggy.

 

beerchug.gif

 

...but seriously, you gotta lay off Taylor Swift, try Emma Hewitt's acoustic EP "Starting Fires" with the majestic W3...

post #1744 of 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by djvkool View Post

beerchug.gif

...but seriously, you gotta lay off Taylor Swift, try Emma Hewitt's acoustic EP "Starting Fires" with the majestic W3...

I actually have that album here, wink.gif Transfering it now.
post #1745 of 2135

I have an impression that my W3 is much more "spacious" sounding than LCD-2.2. Many soundtracks and some kinds of electronic music I enjoy more on the little W3 than on the big LCD-2:)

post #1746 of 2135

I'm reading impressions and plans to go from W3 to W4. I have both (don't ask...) and I find them to be completely different animals. The W3 I find more exciting in some ways, bass more "there", somewhat more fleshed out, though not as detailed as the W4's. The W4's strike me as more of an "accurate" iem, more of what an engineer might want for recording/mastering, with less prominent bass (though it is there, tight), more open and detailed. Sometimes I want the whole truth/accuracy, other times I like the more fun signature of the W3.

post #1747 of 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjazz View Post

I'm reading impressions and plans to go from W3 to W4. I have both (don't ask...) and I find them to be completely different animals. The W3 I find more exciting in some ways, bass more "there", somewhat more fleshed out, though not as detailed as the W4's. The W4's strike me as more of an "accurate" iem, more of what an engineer might want for recording/mastering, with less prominent bass (though it is there, tight), more open and detailed. Sometimes I want the whole truth/accuracy, other times I like the more fun signature of the W3.

Besides the bass amounts which would say has the warmer tonality overall? There are times I do find W3 a touch warm for my tastes with some genre's around the mid range. Does W4 offer a slightly colder sig?
Edited by H20Fidelity - 2/4/13 at 9:08pm
post #1748 of 2135

No W4 is not colder in any way but it is more neutral and mid-focused.  I guess I would say they are both about equally on the warm side.

 

W3 has a LOT more bass weight and qty than W4 but W4 is much more tonaly accurate with providing just enough bass to where it should satisfy most everyone.   With 2 bass drivers (albeit smaller) W4 has more bass detail and texture and extends deeper....there's just not as much qty of bass.  Plus the midrange is very seductive.  It is literally "just right".  Not forward, not recessed...just perfect.  Maybe not quite as exciting as W3 but much more "real" sounding.


Edited by Spyro - 2/5/13 at 6:23am
post #1749 of 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

No W4 is not colder in any way but it is more neutral and mid-focused.  I guess I would say they are both about equally on the warm side.

 

W3 has a LOT more bass weight and qty than W4 but W4 is much more tonaly accurate with providing just enough bass to where it should satisfy most everyone.   With 2 bass drivers (albeit smaller) W4 has more bass detail and texture and extends deeper....there's just not as much qty of bass.  Plus the midrange is very seductive.  It is literally "just right".  Not forward, not recessed...just perfect.  Maybe not quite as exciting as W3 but much more "real" sounding.

So W3 is probably warmer:)

post #1750 of 2135

The only reason I am saying similar is that the W4 has sort of a veil where the W3 does not yet the W4 has much more mid-detail....sort of off setting each other.

 

Unless a person is a basshead the W4 is without question the better sounding IEM and I'm the biggest W3 fan on HF :)

post #1751 of 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

The only reason I am saying similar is that the W4 has sort of a veil where the W3 does not yet the W4 has much more mid-detail....sort of off setting each other.

 

Unless a person is a basshead the W4 is without question the better sounding IEM and I'm the biggest W3 fan on HF :)

But you don't you use them any more, do you?

Are your JH5, UM3X so much better?

post #1752 of 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by korzena View Post

But you don't you use them any more, do you?

Are your JH5, UM3X so much better?

Not "so much better"  but different.  I tend to go back and forth between the top tier IEM's rarely settling on one thing more than a few months at a time.

post #1753 of 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

No W4 is not colder in any way but it is more neutral and mid-focused.  I guess I would say they are both about equally on the warm side.

W3 has a LOT more bass weight and qty than W4 but W4 is much more tonaly accurate with providing just enough bass to where it should satisfy most everyone.   With 2 bass drivers (albeit smaller) W4 has more bass detail and texture and extends deeper....there's just not as much qty of bass.  Plus the midrange is very seductive.  It is literally "just right".  Not forward, not recessed...just perfect.  Maybe not quite as exciting as W3 but much more "real" sounding.

Thanks for the reply,

I wouldn't mind a little less bass on W3, mid bass pushes through fairly prominent at times, some genres suit perfectly to this sounding full, thick and meaty, while others such as EDM that already have enhanced bass in the recording can be a little boomy, bloated, which causes some congestion around the lower mids, not a major concern just not 100% to my preferences. However, the huge head stage /sound stage and presentation wins me over easily. W3 low end seems focused more on mid than sub-bass, it can work both ways depending on genre, source and preference.

Regarding the warmth or tone of Westone series, I can handle W3 but it would be my up most limits on how far I would go. If W3 was just a touch cooler around the mid range, just a fraction more transparent it would be almost perfect for my tastes. Though overall the tone has a fairly non fatiguing signature, you won't need to have a break as quick as something brighter for example R-50 or H-100. That's one thing that calls me back to the earphone, it's rather smooth and somewhat forgiving IMO.

We must keep in mind I'm adjusting from cooler IEM's, for me that takes longer than a few listening sessions.
post #1754 of 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


Thanks for the reply,

I wouldn't mind a little less bass on W3, mid bass pushes through fairly prominent at times, some genres suit perfectly to this sounding full, thick and meaty, while others such as EDM that already have enhanced bass in the recording can be a little boomy, bloated, which causes some congestion around the lower mids, not a major concern just not 100% to my preferences. However, the huge head stage /sound stage and presentation wins me over easily. W3 low end seems focused more on mid than sub-bass, it can work both ways depending on genre, source and preference.

Regarding the warmth or tone of Westone series, I can handle W3 but it would be my up most limits on how far I would go. If W3 was just a touch cooler around the mid range, just a fraction more transparent it would be almost perfect for my tastes. Though overall the tone has a fairly non fatiguing signature, you won't need to have a break as quick as something brighter for example R-50 or H-100. That's one thing that calls me back to the earphone, it's rather smooth and somewhat forgiving IMO.

We must keep in mind I'm adjusting from cooler IEM's, for me that takes longer than a few listening sessions.

Yes, the big soundstage is amazing! I was surprised to notice that I prefer Westone 3 IEM to my open full-size LCD-2.2 with the music like 'spacious' soundtracks and electronica. On W3 this kind of music had more air and great feeling space. W3 is not ideal, but it has a really nice combination of great characteristics which is probably why so many people love it!

post #1755 of 2135

I love the W3s. They are the only universal iems I've stayed with for more than 1.5years which is saying something! I still haven't tried the W4 but reading the impressions many have given, I think I'm just right with the W3s. The lively, warm sound completely suits my music tastes. The only thing I'd change is to have a touch more detail in the mids, but then you can't have it all...

I'd also second the point on bang/buck iems at their current price. Their comfort and overral ease of use should not be under estimated either. The soft braided cable is one of the best in the business. For me the only place I can go from here is the customs route, and I'm in no hurry to do that just yet...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 3 Impressions Thread