Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 3 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone 3 Impressions Thread - Page 113

post #1681 of 2135

Hello, I have been reading this thread for ages, some very good info in their, the more i read though the more confused i get....i am mainly in to DnB but with a jazzy / ambiant twist. I have picked out the IE 8's or W 3's , leaning towards the W 3's but as I have never listened to earphones that use BA tech I am just not sure... Does anyone else listen to this type of music with these earphones, from what I make out I think they will be fine...I am not a bass head by any means but i like  to hear the subtle changes in the lower end...if that makes sense.

 

think i need to stop reading so much and just buy them, but if some one does listen to DnB on these and likes it then thats good enough for me, or if it has been tried and it's not good then I will continue my search.

 

Thanks in advance

 

Rich

post #1682 of 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinal8473 View Post

Hello, I have been reading this thread for ages, some very good info in their, the more i read though the more confused i get....i am mainly in to DnB but with a jazzy / ambiant twist. I have picked out the IE 8's or W 3's , leaning towards the W 3's but as I have never listened to earphones that use BA tech I am just not sure... Does anyone else listen to this type of music with these earphones, from what I make out I think they will be fine...I am not a bass head by any means but i like  to hear the subtle changes in the lower end...if that makes sense.

 

think i need to stop reading so much and just buy them, but if some one does listen to DnB on these and likes it then thats good enough for me, or if it has been tried and it's not good then I will continue my search.

 

Thanks in advance

 

Rich



W3 all the way! I haven't picked up my IE-8 for months since I secured a pair of W3. I do listen a lot of down-tempo electronic such as Solar Field, SFTG, Zero-One, etc. and I can tell you the W3 excels with just about anything I throw at it. In comparison, the IE-8 may have a bit wider sound stage but not as layered, less high extension without airy sound and more annoying upper and mid-bass hump than the w3, though the later can also benefit from a little toning down the bass. The presentation of the W3 is far more detailed and layered in contrast to the veiled sound of the IE-8. I hope this helped.

 

post #1683 of 2135

W3 also Techno just about nailed everything. Get some Shure Olives for them too

post #1684 of 2135

Hello TechNocrafts & FreeFair, thanks for your reply's, its always good to get some info form people that actual have the earphones, i am going with the w 3's :), looking for somewhere to order them that honors the warranty....:)

 

Thanks again.

 

Rich

post #1685 of 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinal8473 View Post

Hello TechNocrafts & FreeFair, thanks for your reply's, its always good to get some info form people that actual have the earphones, i am going with the w 3's :), looking for somewhere to order them that honors the warranty....:)

 

Thanks again.

 

Rich



Excellent! If you lucky enough as I was to find the factory installed short comply tips to work, these will also be the most comfy audio gear you ever wore! It trounces even the Klipsch Image X-10 in regard of comfort, like you don't even have anything in your ears! I must warn you though, try them for the first time when you have a couple of hours to spare, cause those plugs will not come out of your ears any time soon once you hear the magic!

 

post #1686 of 2135

Hi Freefallr4545,

 

I see in your sig that you had the Westone 3 and Shure 535 (twice?) and are now listening to the gr07. Is there any particular reason?  I also listen to electronic music and i've been in the hunt for a good set of IEMs for this genre and have been considering quite a few IEMs, including the following:

 

gr07

eph100

westone 1, 2, 3

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefallr4545 View Post

W3 also Techno just about nailed everything. Get some Shure Olives for them too


 

 

post #1687 of 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenttw View Post

Hi Freefallr4545,

 

I see in your sig that you had the Westone 3 and Shure 535 (twice?) and are now listening to the gr07. Is there any particular reason?  I also listen to electronic music and i've been in the hunt for a good set of IEMs for this genre and have been considering quite a few IEMs, including the following:

 

gr07

eph100

westone 1, 2, 3

 


 

 



What other genres are you into. W3's are fantastic IEMS, but once a dear friend turned me on to Dynamic Drivers I never turned back. Very Bassy is the W3, never heard the Yamahas, but I would seriously consider putting the JVCFTX90

post #1688 of 2135


that is pretty much it, anything EDM, but mainly house and trance. I currently have the hf3, but want something with a bit more bass and wiling to sacrifice some highs for it.  but dont want anything overpowering like my cx400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefallr4545 View Post



What other genres are you into. W3's are fantastic IEMS, but once a dear friend turned me on to Dynamic Drivers I never turned back. Very Bassy is the W3, never heard the Yamahas, but I would seriously consider putting the JVCFTX90



 

post #1689 of 2135

Definitely the EPH-100's. But the W3's are VERY good. Just less instrument separation/layering by quite a large margin and (much) less bass/sub-bass quantity. By the other side they provide more refined treble.


Edited by miow - 1/30/12 at 11:42pm
post #1690 of 2135

would you consider the eph100 a basshead headphone?  I want more bass than my current hf3, but in no way would consider myself a basshead.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miow View Post

Definitely the EPH-100's. But the W3's are VERY good. Just less instrument separation/layering by quite a large margin and (much) less bass/sub-bass quantity. By the other side they provide more refined treble.



 

post #1691 of 2135

Definitely plenty of bass, but not exactly a bass-head phone, with one of the best sub-bass I've heard. Reminds me the Hippo VB, but 10x better (mids, instrument separation/layering, 3D imaging, timber, etc). But even if you're not a bass-head I'm quite sure you'll like them, since mids are forward ala UM3X with stellar definition and timber and treble quantity is on pair with the rest of the frequency spectrum. The bass will never overpower the other frequencies. No mid-bass hump as well. The 3D presentation and immersion they give you is phenomenal and they beat the UM3X on instrument separation, which is quite an achievement. They will give you alot of fun. I didn't have this fun since the old days of the Hippo VB, but as I said the EPH-100's are 10x better. Mids and treble were bad on the VB's as well as separation/layering, quite 2D, MUCH less definition/detail/clarity, etc.

 

Hope this helps.


Edited by miow - 1/31/12 at 11:23am
post #1692 of 2135

Guys help me! Im paranoid! I accidentally plugged my W3 into my walkman when it was at max volume and heard the music playing out of the IEM without it being in my ear. Did it do any damage? I am trying to listen for anything broken but I cant't tell. It was at max volume for about 2 seconds.

post #1693 of 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uruha View Post

Guys help me! Im paranoid! I accidentally plugged my W3 into my walkman when it was at max volume and heard the music playing out of the IEM without it being in my ear. Did it do any damage? I am trying to listen for anything broken but I cant't tell. It was at max volume for about 2 seconds.


Be glad it wasn't in your ear, could've possibly done some damage to your hearing. Most likely, if you can't hear any differences before/after this incident, nothing is wrong.

 

post #1694 of 2135

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uruha View Post

Guys help me! Im paranoid! I accidentally plugged my W3 into my walkman when it was at max volume and heard the music playing out of the IEM without it being in my ear. Did it do any damage? I am trying to listen for anything broken but I cant't tell. It was at max volume for about 2 seconds.


This type of event would be more likely to damage a dynamic driver, I don't think BA's would be damaged due to the nature of their design.

 

 

However, I did the exact same thing to my IE8's before on my J3 because I have it at max volume when using it with the AUX-IN in my car.  But, I think they are fine and I don't notice any difference.

post #1695 of 2135

Westone 3 with Cowon J3 on BBE Headphone setting = nightclub in my ear

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 3 Impressions Thread