Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › WESTONE 3 IMPRESSIONS AND APPRECIATION THREAD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WESTONE 3 IMPRESSIONS AND APPRECIATION THREAD - Page 112

post #1666 of 2119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Griffith View Post

...If only it were possible to have W4 mids with W3 fun! 


That would be an ES5 I think, gorgeous mids and fun/exciting sound, without overdoing anything.

 

post #1667 of 2119

Sorry meant to say " westone 4 mids with westone 3 fun in the same price range". lol.

post #1668 of 2119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Griffith View Post

Sorry meant to say " westone 4 mids with westone 3 fun in the same price range". lol.



 That would be the TF10 if you are on a budget

post #1669 of 2119
To me it's hard to understand complaints about W4 bass. There's plenty of natural, textured and well extended deep bass in realistic proportion to what particular music actually has. I had W3 and their bass isn't that detailed and textured. Moreover there seemed to be more of it only in relation to the mids. Kinda like a psycho trick.
post #1670 of 2119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post



 That would be the TF10 if you are on a budget


Huh?  I don't think the TF10Pro mids can compete with the W4 mids, at least not with most of my amps and sources.  I still have my TF10Pro and they sit on a shelf unused, kept only for comparisons in reviews.

 

post #1671 of 2119

Aside from the better mids, what makes w3 more enjoyable to listen? 

post #1672 of 2119
Quote:
Originally Posted by olear View Post

Aside from the better mids, what makes w3 more enjoyable to listen? 


The lower end seems to be a little warmer and weightier, lending a more solid foundation to the instruments, making them more real to me.  The soundstage also seems bigger.  The fit is also better for me, and the cable less microphonic. Plus I can use my Westone UM56 custom tips which don't fit the fatter sound nozzle of the TF10Pro vi.

 

post #1673 of 2119
Quote:
Originally Posted by olear View Post

Aside from the better mids, what makes w3 more enjoyable to listen? 



 

Get a hold of a rockboxed ipod video (5.5 gen), than just about everything will be enjoyable. I find the  5.5 ipod-W3 combo the poor man's hifiman. I've been using these extensively in the past few months, and I can't get away from them, the rest of my collection just taking up space now...

post #1674 of 2119

W3+T51 sounds much better than HiFiMan 601+W3,IE8,W4,ER4s,RE262.

I love my Westone's more:)

post #1675 of 2119

My Westone 3s were the only IEMs that have satisfied my cravings for good sound from a non-custom IEM. I tried all the other big hitters and have been using the W3s for over a year! Having said that I haven't tried the W4 but then I don't really feel I need to - esp judging by what some have said from the reviews (less bass doesn't interest me in the slightest, though the increased mids is interesting). I think my next IEM upgrade, whenever that happens, would be to something like the ES5..

post #1676 of 2119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkovajazz View Post

W3+T51 sounds much better than HiFiMan 601+W3,IE8,W4,ER4s,RE262.

I love my Westone's more:)



I never tried the T51, but I can tell you the iPod Video with rockbox ported is truly amazing. The W3 normally regarded bass heavy, but the current selection of the players on the market today, largely smartphones are the main culprit, unfortunately people fail to realize that before they blame the gear. With the 5.5 video+W3 combo, the sound is completely flat, detailed and airy with fair imaging. My HD-600s did not come out of the box for months now! Let's not even mention comfort! I can barley feel them in my ears, the sound just envelopes me as if I would listen trough bookshelf speakers...These are by far the best in ear solution ever designed!


Edited by Technocrafts - 1/16/12 at 10:20am
post #1677 of 2119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onza View Post

My Westone 3s were the only IEMs that have satisfied my cravings for good sound from a non-custom IEM. I tried all the other big hitters and have been using the W3s for over a year! Having said that I haven't tried the W4 but then I don't really feel I need to - esp judging by what some have said from the reviews (less bass doesn't interest me in the slightest, though the increased mids is interesting). I think my next IEM upgrade, whenever that happens, would be to something like the ES5..



 

IMHO the W4 is the result of the outcry from the W3 early adapters, who found the gear bass heavy and sibilant. I came across many posts and articles with contents crying bloody wolf as how the W3 is one of the worse IEMs ever conceived, how they colorate the sound, etc. Most of them fail to mention though what a load of trash hit the market since the release of the 6th generation iPod classic!
Someone here described the W4 sound comparable to something between the W3 and UE Trilpe-fi 10. Since I have both, I would wait for awhile before I would add the W4 to my collection.

post #1678 of 2119

W4 has much difference between W3. I was having lot of different audio devices, but T51+W3 sounds amazing! This is the best friend for them.

I've tried Clip+, iPod5.5G Rockbox, iClassic 2010, Touch 3 and 4G, Cowon D2,C2,J3, Zune HD, HFM601, iPad2, Galaxy Tab, Galaxy Player G50 and Nokias:)

W4 sounds great on iDevices. True China Players sounds bad with W4.

W4 has little plastic in their sound. If someone likes popular Vsonic GR07 Westone 4 will be good upgrade, they are similar.

I don't find any upgrade of Westone 3 and i think that don't need it.

post #1679 of 2119

Isn't the W3 and FX700 have same sound signature?

How are they different?

 

Do W3 fans believe W4/GR07 are too neutral, flat and boring?

 

I have TF10, IE80 and expecting FXT90 (for the second time).  I am interested

in a mid-high tier that has more mids vs the UE, Senn and JVC above.

post #1680 of 2119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkovajazz View Post

W4 has much difference between W3. I was having lot of different audio devices, but T51+W3 sounds amazing! This is the best friend for them.

I've tried Clip+, iPod5.5G Rockbox, iClassic 2010, Touch 3 and 4G, Cowon D2,C2,J3, Zune HD, HFM601, iPad2, Galaxy Tab, Galaxy Player G50 and Nokias:)

W4 sounds great on iDevices. True China Players sounds bad with W4.

W4 has little plastic in their sound. If someone likes popular Vsonic GR07 Westone 4 will be good upgrade, they are similar.

I don't find any upgrade of Westone 3 and i think that don't need it.

I may be in the minority, but I don;t find the W4 an upgrade to the the GR-07. I completely agree with your last sentence 
 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › WESTONE 3 IMPRESSIONS AND APPRECIATION THREAD