Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Edition 8
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultrasone Edition 8 - Page 124

post #1846 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post

When we compare the Inner Fidelity measurements of both the ED8 and the SIG PRO we see a compareable fr response from bass to the mids. But the graphs of the SIG PRO are better regarding square wawes and thd&noise especially in the bass region. So for me the SIG PRO is the better choice, especially because its stealthy looks. And even though my ears are huge the pads fit me nicely. If you want the same good sound quality, a hyper bass, a wider soundstage and some bling bling you'd better walk the SIG DJ route instead. But I must confess, that I never had a listen to the ED8.

 


It sounds like a refined Beats (though retaining some of the 'cotton wool bass' aspect) with the characteristically odd soundstage. Though I would probably not have said that before my FS concluded wink.gif

 

 

And I'm not usually a troll. It's perfectly ok to listen to in all honesty but I wouldn't call it the pinnacle of quality. You're paying for the materials and the styling on this one... especially as the standard of build is not all that hot, either.


Edited by bangraman - 8/29/13 at 10:54am
post #1847 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodflowerz View Post

 

You've got me wanting to "take the plunge" too......regular_smile%20.gif


And after weeks of use, I like it even more.  I use it as my portable setup with an iPod Classic into a C421 portable amp.  Great synergy by the way. 

 

Remember I had the Sig Pro - these are WAY more comfortable and the bass is clearly better as well.  Better for portable use as well. 

 

Sig Pro's are great but these are better TO ME.  Sig Pro's after about 30 minutes the pad made me want to rip the headphone off. 

post #1848 of 1944

If anyone is interested in trading their Ed8 for my T5p, then let me know! :)

post #1849 of 1944

Hello Everyone

 

I purchased an Edition 8 Palladium and I've been comparing it to my T5p and wanted to share my views.

 

At present, I'm left rather underwhelmed to be honest. Perhaps I was expecting too much, or I had built an incorrect mental image of what it should have been.

 

T5p vs. Edition 8 Palladium (both via Burson Soloist SL)

 

Soundstage

The T5p wins here quite convincingly. Having spent time with the Edition 8, I actually realised how open sounding the T5p actually sounds for a closed can. The Edition 8 sounds narrow and does not extend as far left and right as the T5p. Easy win for the T5p here.

 

Treble

I would say the ED8 is warm and less detailed than the T5p, The Beyer has lots of detail, sparkle and in conjunction with the wide sound stage you hear more from the T5p. The T5p can be a little bright for me but rarely. The ED8 sounds smooth. Again I prefer the extra detail of the T5p but I do appreciate the warmth of the ED8.

 

Mids

Now I was really disappointed here. The ED8 sounds similar to the Pro900. Now, I'm not talking about the recessed mids, no. The ED8 has upfront forward mids. Not as forward as T5p but still forward. The problem I have with the Ed8 and the Pro900 was that the vocals sound like someones got a bucket on their head, or they are singing while being constipated. I just can't explain it better. The ED8 and Pro900 sound strained to me in the mids, the ED8 being not so strained but still noticeably so compared with T5p. The T5p on the other hand sounds life-like, natural and noticeably better. In fact, I've only ever heard Beyers do mids best. There's just something about the Tesla mids that make it so natural and lifelike to me.

 

Bass

This is the only win for ED8 and my only criticism of the T5p. Where the ED8 gives me satisfying bass, I'm always wanting more bass with the T5p. However, I miss the slam of the HFI-780. That headphone does bass with authority,

 

Summary

Overall,  comparing the ED8 to the T5p, the ED8 sounds artificial, computerised, somewhat digital sounding. The T5p sounds so natural and real. It's quite surprising how obvious this is. With the exception of bass, the T5p wins hands down. I wanted the ED8 for so long and wanted it to work for me. I'm really surprised with the outcome. I would say the Beyer DT1350 is at least on par with the ED8 at a fraction of the price. I hope this comparison was helpful.

 

The release of the Beyer Custom One Tesla next year will be my headphone end game, I am confident of that. A Tesla headphone with COP bass? That's surely a winning formula.

post #1850 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodflowerz View Post
 

Summary

Overall,  comparing the ED8 to the T5p, the ED8 sounds artificial, computerised, somewhat digital sounding. The T5p sounds so natural and real. It's quite surprising how obvious this is. With the exception of bass, the T5p wins hands down. I wanted the ED8 for so long and wanted it to work for me. I'm really surprised with the outcome. I would say the Beyer DT1350 is at least on par with the ED8 at a fraction of the price. I hope this comparison was helpful.

 

The release of the Beyer Custom One Tesla next year will be my headphone end game, I am confident of that. A Tesla headphone with COP bass? That's surely a winning formula.

 

Wow, that's quite a statement to make. The DT1350 can be found new for $200. I have a come and go love with ultrasones, especially their lower models. I was always curious to hear the Edition 8, and I was really disappointed with this headphone. I share a lot of your sentiments, and found the edition 8 to not greatly exceed the ultrasone HFI-780, and really couldn't compete with headphones in the same price range. 

post #1851 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post
 

 

Wow, that's quite a statement to make. The DT1350 can be found new for $200. I have a come and go love with ultrasones, especially their lower models. I was always curious to hear the Edition 8, and I was really disappointed with this headphone. I share a lot of your sentiments, and found the edition 8 to not greatly exceed the ultrasone HFI-780, and really couldn't compete with headphones in the same price range. 

 

I actually hold the HFI-780 in high regard. I've purchased it twice before. It's a seriously great headphone for the price. It's a little bright at times but with the right DAC/amp that can be resolved.

post #1852 of 1944
The HFI-780 are the base, from which the SIGNATURE PRO was developed. They even share the same baffle board. Added was a better driver (neodymium magnet) better sounding ear pads (I have the vinyl pads and they sound much worse than the original leather pads) luxurious headband and overall more worthy components. And the SIG DJ is completely based on the HFI-480/DJ1cans. Again same baffle board same driver size/material added neodymium magnet....... And the EDITION 8 is more based on the PRO line construction and so it is natural that a few thigs might remind you of the PRO 900. Just look at the baffle board construction where the driver is sitting behind those grille...
So if you like the HFI-780 the Signatures are your natural choice
Edited by pietcux - 9/26/13 at 3:22am
post #1853 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post

The HFI-780 are the base, from which the SIGNATURE PRO was developed. They even share the same baffle board. Added was a better driver (neodymium magnet) better sounding ear pads (I have the vinyl pads and they sound much worse than the original leather pads) luxurious headband and overall more worthy components. And the SIG DJ is completely based on the HFI-480/DJ1cans. Again same baffle board same driver size/material added neodymium magnet....... And the EDITION 8 is more based on the PRO line construction and so it is natural that a few thigs might remind you of the PRO 900. Just look at the baffle board construction where the driver is sitting behind those grille...
So if you like the HFI-780 the Signatures are your natural choice

 

Thanks for the very insightful knowledge. I did not know this. I guess the Signature Pro DJ would be more to my liking (since I love the HFI-780 bass) but I can't get past the white paint job. Hopefully, they'll release it in black at some point.

 

Regarding the ED8, I just expected a flagship product costing 1300 EUR to sound better than what I heard. It's grossly overpriced looking at it from an audiophile viewpoint. Sure, the materials and construction is top notch but these play second fiddle to what should be priority 1 - sound quality. 

 

Thanks for the very interesting information nonetheless.


Edited by Bloodflowerz - 9/26/13 at 3:38am
post #1854 of 1944
Do you still own the HFI-780?
post #1855 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangraman View Post
 

 


It sounds like a refined Beats (though retaining some of the 'cotton wool bass' aspect) with the characteristically odd soundstage. Though I would probably not have said that before my FS concluded wink.gif

 

 

And I'm not usually a troll. It's perfectly ok to listen to in all honesty but I wouldn't call it the pinnacle of quality. You're paying for the materials and the styling on this one... especially as the standard of build is not all that hot, either.

Calling these a refined Beats is like calling Porsche a refined Fiat.

post #1856 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post

Do you still own the HFI-780?

 

Unfortunately not. I sold them when I purchased the T5p.

post #1857 of 1944

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodflowerz View Post
 

 

 

Summary

Overall,  comparing the ED8 to the T5p, the ED8 sounds artificial, computerised, somewhat digital sounding. The T5p sounds so natural and real. It's quite surprising how obvious this is. With the exception of bass, the T5p wins hands down. I wanted the ED8 for so long and wanted it to work for me. I'm really surprised with the outcome. I would say the Beyer DT1350 is at least on par with the ED8 at a fraction of the price. I hope this comparison was helpful.

 

 

 

It has been my experience that my older headphones that i am used to listening to sound more natural at first due to their familiarity.  May not be the case but if you live with the Ed8's and listen to them exclusively for a while, then go back to the T5p you may be surprised.  


Edited by dallan - 9/28/13 at 1:12pm
post #1858 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallan View Post
 

 

 

 

It has been my experience that my older headphones that i am used to listening to sound more natural at first due to their familiarity.  May not be the case but if you live with the Ed8's and listen to them exclusively for a while, then go back to the T5p you may be surprised.  

I tend to agree with this..............the more I listen to my Edition 8's, the more I like the sound. 

post #1859 of 1944

Well..... Guess the prices on the Edition 8 are coming down 

 

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/549489996/ULTRASONE_Earphone_Palladium_ED8.html

post #1860 of 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post
 

Well..... Guess the prices on the Edition 8 are coming down 

 

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/549489996/ULTRASONE_Earphone_Palladium_ED8.html

$100... wow. Idk if this is legit, but if so, I may have to upgrade lol

edit: my bad.. saw the supplier min/10 order. aha but still great to see the price go down, hopefully we see seller price go down as well


Edited by patthebaker17 - 10/24/13 at 10:48am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Edition 8