Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Edition 8
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultrasone Edition 8 - Page 122

post #1816 of 1929

@goofyvic:
i've got the Ed 8 limited as well as ed. romeo. Personally i like the sound of the limited edition a little better: the bass has a bit more punch and the highs aren't as fatiguing. mind you the difference is quite small and could also be due to the fact that my ed. romeo is newer and thus hasn't finished burning in yet. Only time will tell i guess. However, looking at your collection of headphones i suspect you may find the highs slightly fatiguing. Having said this i remember reading here a while back that someone else preferred the sound of the romeo edition due to its less intrusive bass.

 

construction-wise the detachable cable seems to hold quite firmly and i have yet to have them detach accidentally while using them. I'm not sure if they use shure connectors as i haven't had a lotta experince with Shure products myself. I however do like the right-angled jack which to me looks quite classy. Having the in-line remote is also nice. If i am being very picky i guess my only complaint would be the quality of the wire: just seems a bit plasticky with a bit of a memory effect as well, such that it doesn't sit nice and straight when the entire cord is left dangling in mid-air. Overall i'm still quite happy with the romeo though.

 

hope this helps

post #1817 of 1929

I love the Ultrasone Edition 8. Period. I don't care what others say that it's overpriced.

post #1818 of 1929
+1
post #1819 of 1929

I've owned the ED8 for about three months now. I'm surprised there's not much complaints of sibilance here. I usually don't mind bright treble, but for some reason these are just painful to listen to and I can only use them at low volume levels.

 

Am I just one of the few unfortunate people that don't get S-Logic? Someone in a HFI-2400 thread warned me that about 30% of people find ultrasones too harsh sounding. Strangely enough the HFI-2400 is a personal favorite and I never found them sibilant or harsh.

post #1820 of 1929
Quote:
Originally Posted by viralcow View Post

I've owned the ED8 for about three months now. I'm surprised there's not much complaints of sibilance here. I usually don't mind bright treble, but for some reason these are just painful to listen to and I can only use them at low volume levels.

 

Am I just one of the few unfortunate people that don't get S-Logic? Someone in a HFI-2400 thread warned me that about 30% of people find ultrasones too harsh sounding. Strangely enough the HFI-2400 is a personal favorite and I never found them sibilant or harsh.


I don't believe the S-Logic contributes to the brightness or sibilance you hear.  As an alternative, I would recommend Ultrasone's Signature line which is not quite as bright to my ears (my primary headphone is the Sig DJ).

post #1821 of 1929

There seems to be a trend in the headphone discussions that what some people see as detail and layering others see as harsh treble.  I guess it depends where you are coming from or what your looking for.  For me some headphones feel muddled and ultra warm and bassy and i feel like it is covering up their shortcoming in detail.  Others consider that an attribute maybe because they may consider themselves bassheads or can not tolerate the info coming in.  I don't consider the treble on the Ed8  anywhere near my other HP's like the HD800 or the W3000anv. In fact i considered them very forgiving and actually even warm when i first bought them.  They do have incredible detail for a closed phone and where considered the top closed headphone by many for a couple of years even though they were but a portable. 

 

Of course, I have always considered myself susceptible to ear fatigue though and have tailored my source to limit those issues so maybe that helps tone down the upper ends and others may not have approached their sources in the same manner.

post #1822 of 1929
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallan View Post

There seems to be a trend in the headphone discussions that what some people see as detail and layering others see as harsh treble.  I guess it depends where you are coming from or what your looking for.  For me some headphones feel muddled and ultra warm and bassy and i feel like it is covering up their shortcoming in detail.  Others consider that an attribute maybe because they may consider themselves bassheads or can not tolerate the info coming in.  I don't consider the treble on the Ed8  anywhere near my other HP's like the HD800 or the W3000anv. In fact i considered them very forgiving and actually even warm when i first bought them.  They do have incredible detail for a closed phone and where considered the top closed headphone by many for a couple of years even though they were but a portable. 

 

Of course, I have always considered myself susceptible to ear fatigue though and have tailored my source to limit those issues so maybe that helps tone down the upper ends and others may not have approached their sources in the same manner.


I have been an avid headphone listener for only the past few years aside from several years listening to my old Senns as a teenager into my early 20's, so I am thinking I may have preserved my higher frequency sensitivity which may be skewing my perception.  The Signature line just sounds a bit more natural to my ears, but I do agree the ED8 is a fantastic sounding headphone.  I also am a big fan of their looks and fit.

post #1823 of 1929
I finally am getting my Edition 8, should be here by next Wednesday. Cannot wait to check it out. I liked the Sig Pro a lot but pad comfort wasn't there. Now I have a D7000 for the longer listening sessions so even if the Ed 8 isn't perfect on the comfort front I'll be good to go.

Sold my V-Moda M-100 to make this happen. Yeah, those had pad comfort issues.......mad.gif XL pad wait is no longer an issue.......
post #1824 of 1929
Quote:
Originally Posted by viralcow View Post

I've owned the ED8 for about three months now. I'm surprised there's not much complaints of sibilance here. I usually don't mind bright treble, but for some reason these are just painful to listen to and I can only use them at low volume levels.

 

Am I just one of the few unfortunate people that don't get S-Logic? Someone in a HFI-2400 thread warned me that about 30% of people find ultrasones too harsh sounding. Strangely enough the HFI-2400 is a personal favorite and I never found them sibilant or harsh.

I  don't think the Edition 8 is sibilant at all.  I am assuming that you are using the same source and listening to the same music with the Ed 8 and the HFI-2400.  I have never listened to the 2400 so I can't speak to them, but perhaps the treble is rolled off.  If you put the Ed 8 next to the Beyer DT880, then you'll really hear some sibiliance.  The 880 is very bright and harsh IMO.  You might also be just a bit sensitive to treble.  The Ed 8 is crisp, but not even quite as much as the HFI-780.  I would love to hear the 2400 and see what they have to offer. 

post #1825 of 1929
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsupremous View Post

I  don't think the Edition 8 is sibilant at all.  I am assuming that you are using the same source and listening to the same music with the Ed 8 and the HFI-2400.  I have never listened to the 2400 so I can't speak to them, but perhaps the treble is rolled off.  If you put the Ed 8 next to the Beyer DT880, then you'll really hear some sibiliance.  The 880 is very bright and harsh IMO.  You might also be just a bit sensitive to treble.  The Ed 8 is crisp, but not even quite as much as the HFI-780.  I would love to hear the 2400 and see what they have to offer. 

 

Not sure why, but the ED8's are painfully sibilant for me, to the point that even female vocals are too shrill and harsh. 

 

I haven't heard the DT880s, but the K701, HD700, DT990, HE-500 are all supposed to be "bright" headphones, yet I found none of them to be sibilant at all. That's why I think my ears are just incompatible with S-Logic...

post #1826 of 1929
Quote:
Originally Posted by viralcow View Post

Not sure why, but the ED8's are painfully sibilant for me, to the point that even female vocals are too shrill and harsh. 

I haven't heard the DT880s, but the K701, HD700, DT990, HE-500 are all supposed to be "bright" headphones, yet I found none of them to be sibilant at all. That's why I think my ears are just incompatible with S-Logic...

The fit is very important.
I use to have no bass come out k of this phone, but when I change a little bit on my ear pad location with my glass off the way, the bass came out with a lot of quantity.

I think the same goes to sibilance. It is a very bright phone, so it will sound harsh for many not well recorded music
post #1827 of 1929

Yep, either a fit issue or a QC issue.  

post #1828 of 1929
I agree on the ED8 being borderline sibilant, and even preferred the momentum's to them so I sold mine. I have very healthy ears and they are definitely much more forward than your average headphone. As someone else pointed out, the HD800's have much more extension but are way smoother and enjoyable.
post #1829 of 1929
Maybe the 650s but the 800s? Wow, I own all thee of those and the 650 is smoother but the 800 needs toning down with equipment whereas th ed8 plays with almost anything very smoothly. Comparing the ed8 to the monument is like comparing the 800 to my grade 225.
post #1830 of 1929

Just got my Edition 8's via UPS from a fellow Head Fier..............first impressions are very positive. Reference point is the Sig Pro I had for a month (traded for a D7000) -

 

Comfort - better than Sig Pro - ears fit in the pads perfectly, great seal and headband is better than the Sig Pro as well

 

Bass - better than Sig Pro by a smidge

 

Soundstage - much better than my Pro900's for some reason and better than Sig Pro. 

 

Looks..............well, if these aren't the best looking headphone on the planet I don't know what is. Low profile, lays on the head nicely - very portable - better than my M-100 (just sold) for sure.

 

I am sooooooooooooo glad I took the plunge. 
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Edition 8