Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Edition 8
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultrasone Edition 8 - Page 120

post #1786 of 1970
Yes, it's interesting that the ed8 is the standard they judge against on those threads. Kind of like the vocal people who compare other phones against the HD800s as a standard but often come back after their earlier criticisms to embrace them later.
Figure you can guess that my ed8 LE aren't goin anywhere.
post #1787 of 1970
I found an Edition 8 for around $700 on Amazon, sold by Amazon Warehouse Deals. Is it a fake? Do fakes even exist? Amazon says that they're in "good condition with minor scuffing on the bottom and sides of the item." I can live with that.
Edited by Luv My BASS 1 - 5/21/13 at 9:22pm
post #1788 of 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv My BASS 1 View Post

I found an Edition 8 for around $700 on Amazon, sold by Amazon Warehouse Deals. Is it a fake? Do fakes even exist? Amazon says that they're in "good condition with minor scuffing on the bottom and sides of the item." I can live with that.

I doubt they're fake. I've bought an ED8 locally for 500$, mint!

post #1789 of 1970
Excellent! Just a few more questions before I buy my most expensive headphones yet!

1. How's the bass? More or less than the Vmoda M80 ( the headphone I'm upgrading from)
2. Any known durability issues?
3. Do they have the metallic highs of the ultrasone pro 900 (no me gusta)
post #1790 of 1970

This might be heresy... but after going through the Edition 8s and Signature Pros in my quest for an awesome portable closed headphones, I liked the DT1350s most of all.

 

I'm not saying that the Edition 8s are not awesome.  They are!  However, they seem to lack a couple of things - the sound is not neutral and the bass seems clipped.  They are incredibly detailed though and I have not found a more comfortable headphone including the legendary HD800s.  I ended up favoring the Beyer DT1350s because they didn't seem to have any noticeable flaws and were perfect in portable situations.

 

The Ruthenium can get scratched up.  The Palladium version is supposed to be less bling bling and more practical, but that's way more expensive.  

post #1791 of 1970

I could not get a good fit with the DT 1350, so the bass was not so good. And as I wear glasses the pressure on the ear where the frame is was too much. The best for someone who wants a good amount of bass and great isolation combined with a comfy fit is the Signature DJ imho though.

post #1792 of 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv My BASS 1 View Post

Excellent! Just a few more questions before I buy my most expensive headphones yet!

1. How's the bass? More or less than the Vmoda M80 ( the headphone I'm upgrading from)
2. Any known durability issues?
3. Do they have the metallic highs of the ultrasone pro 900 (no me gusta)


1. The bass is not -that- much. Definitely not underwhelming, but you shouldn't expect a heavy bass response. People have claimed that it improves vastly with amplification, I haven't tried amping them though so I cannot tell. Also, seal is -key- to the bass response. If you have relatively normal-size or smaller ears, it should be fine.

 

2. Durability is a bit of a bitch. They do pick up scratches easily, you definitely can't throw them around, I would even wager that you almost can't wear them on the street/ throw them in the bag. If you don't plan to travel them much though, or if you don't care about minor scratches that are only viewable under certain angles, you'll be more than fine. I'm actually looking to see if those scratches can be repaired through a metal-buffing paper.

 

3. The highs can be a little sibilant. Again, it has to do with your source, the quality of your music (these are really detailed headphones), and your amplification. If you have a good rig, they should be able to perform fantastically.

 

700 bucks is almost a steal. However, don't expect an effect like going from 128kbps mp3s to FLAC when buying these phones. The differences will be subtle. These are an amazing looking, superbly easy to drive headphone, closed for portability, analytic yet fun.. and you will probably worry about them too much to take them out, haha. 

Hope this helps, if you got any more questions, I'll be happy to answer :)

post #1793 of 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomForce View Post


1. The bass is not -that- much. Definitely not underwhelming, but you shouldn't expect a heavy bass response. People have claimed that it improves vastly with amplification, I haven't tried amping them though so I cannot tell. Also, seal is -key- to the bass response. If you have relatively normal-size or smaller ears, it should be fine.

 

2. Durability is a bit of a bitch. They do pick up scratches easily, you definitely can't throw them around, I would even wager that you almost can't wear them on the street/ throw them in the bag. If you don't plan to travel them much though, or if you don't care about minor scratches that are only viewable under certain angles, you'll be more than fine. I'm actually looking to see if those scratches can be repaired through a metal-buffing paper.

 

3. The highs can be a little sibilant. Again, it has to do with your source, the quality of your music (these are really detailed headphones), and your amplification. If you have a good rig, they should be able to perform fantastically.

 

700 bucks is almost a steal. However, don't expect an effect like going from 128kbps mp3s to FLAC when buying these phones. The differences will be subtle. These are an amazing looking, superbly easy to drive headphone, closed for portability, analytic yet fun.. and you will probably worry about them too much to take them out, haha. 

Hope this helps, if you got any more questions, I'll be happy to answer :)

^ This right here. One of the most helpful head-fi posts of all time ^

 

I've decided that the ED8 aren't the right fit for me at this current moment. I think that I'll get the JVC HA-SZ2000 to replace my M80 (God rest their soul), and The TH900 much later when I strike it rich. 

post #1794 of 1970
I was actually thinking of pulling the trigger for that price over ther to have a second pair, these are so good. For years considered the best closed headphones and they are portable. They slay my JVC HP-DX1000 flagships so I can't imagine how a different JVC would be a substitution although if you are not going portable and willing to spend $2000. Instead of the $700. that they are listed for, TH900 will best them probably, although that is again a flavor difference and choice that all may not agree with. FWIW, I really liked the TH900 on my set up when I heard them on the Zana Deux amp.
Edited by dallan - 5/23/13 at 7:40pm
post #1795 of 1970

Yeah, I'd really like to audition these. However, living in the middle of nowhere kind of eliminates this option. Whenever I buy headphones, I have to blindfire online, with varying degrees of success. 

post #1796 of 1970
You should go for the Signature DJ. That will probably save you from spending more on other cans.
Edited by pietcux - 5/24/13 at 11:56am
post #1797 of 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv My BASS 1 View Post

^ This right here. One of the most helpful head-fi posts of all time ^

 

I've decided that the ED8 aren't the right fit for me at this current moment. I think that I'll get the JVC HA-SZ2000 to replace my M80 (God rest their soul), and The TH900 much later when I strike it rich. 


Thanks for the kind words, man. I think you made the right choice. ED8 is definitely not for the bass enthusiast, and your name on the forum says enough :) 
I love the looks on the JVCs, and from what I've read they have really good deep bass, which I'm sure won't disappoint. Good luck with the choice!

post #1798 of 1970

Unfortunately I am going to have to part with my Ed8's for a short while to get them repaired. I purchased them from another head-fi'er but since he originally purchased them in Europe, I am going to have to send it back to the head office in Germany. There is an authorised Ultrasone service center here in Hong Kong but I would be charged if they do the repair. Hopefully it will not cost too much to send them to Germany.

 

My Ed8 appears to have a problem with the cable at the point close to the connector. When used directly with my Note2, I am able to get both cups to work fairly easily if I play around with the cable at that point. However, when I use it through any amplifier or my Fiio HS2, the right cup will not work no matter how much I play around (within reason) with the cable. This was quite embarrassing the other day when I went into some nice headphone shops to sample some portable amplifiers to pair up with it.

 

It is a common problem with cheap IEMs and HPs. The cable of the Ed8 appears to be pretty solid to me so I am surprised that these are having this problem so soon and I am always pretty careful with that part of the HP. Has anyone else had this problem?

 

One positive thing that has come out of this is that it forced me to pull out my other HPs when I want to use my E17 and HS2. My once hated, bottom of my list Focal Spirit One has suddenly jumped possibly to the top of my list (with the Ed8 out of commission). I'm not sure why but they certainly do not sound like they did when many months ago.


Edited by Rayzilla - 5/31/13 at 4:21am
post #1799 of 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post

You should go for the Signature DJ. That will probably save you from spending more on other cans.


I second that- clarity and soundstage on par with Ed 8, with more prominent bass and smoother highs; also extremely durable, so it addresses some key issues at a lower price point, but does have a VERY different look.

post #1800 of 1970
Hi Rayzilla ! Just to say that I've experienced almost the same problem as you. My ED8 started to have that problem with the cable close to the connector. Even if i was being very careful with it ! I bough mine in the US , so couldn't get a warranty repair. However, I went to my local Ultrasone distributor and was only charge for labor costs (Ultrasone sent a new cable from Germany, for free) But yes, despite the cable looking quite solid, it seems to be really fragile. The rest of the headphones (i've been using it everyday inside / + 2h commuting) is really well designed and is still mint !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Edition 8