Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Trafomatic Experience Head One
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trafomatic Experience Head One - Page 8

post #106 of 182

Well, just as I was really starting to enjoy my Trafomatic One, it's developed a static/crackling sound in one channel.  I have ordered a new pair of output tubes, but I am worried that is not the issue, as I swapped the output tubes and the noise stayed in the same channel.  So that would seem to eliminate the tube from being the problem, in which case I'm not sure what I would do.  I swapped sources, and that isn't the issue.

 

I don't suppose any Trafomatic One owners have experienced this?

post #107 of 182

The most hopeful thing is that you need to clean the pin sockets and the pins of your tubes.  Also check to see that the grip on the pins by the metal contacts is tight for all the pins. Usually you can stimulate the static if you wiggle the tubes a little while the unit is on if this is the problem. Dirt/dust in attenuators can do the same thing if there are 2 channel controls, which I don't think there are, but quickly move the volume knob and see if that doesn't stimulate the static.  Also, could be a loose input connection or a bad solder joint, there, or any number of other places.  Is the ground tab tight on that input channel.  Again, a little wiggle/pressure on the jack might stimulate static if this is the problem.   Wiggling stuff is good to detect the easy-to-solve static problems.

post #108 of 182
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

Well, just as I was really starting to enjoy my Trafomatic One, it's developed a static/crackling sound in one channel.  I have ordered a new pair of output tubes, but I am worried that is not the issue, as I swapped the output tubes and the noise stayed in the same channel.  So that would seem to eliminate the tube from being the problem, in which case I'm not sure what I would do.  I swapped sources, and that isn't the issue.

 

I don't suppose any Trafomatic One owners have experienced this?

I must say that I did have a similar problem with mine, but that was evident from the start and probably caused by it's (very long and bumpy) journey from Servia to the Netherlands. Sasa sent me a new one right away though (and I could return the defective one to a local contact, so it didn't cost me much on shipping).
 

post #109 of 182


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post

The most hopeful thing is that you need to clean the pin sockets and the pins of your tubes.  Also check to see that the grip on the pins by the metal contacts is tight for all the pins. Usually you can stimulate the static if you wiggle the tubes a little while the unit is on if this is the problem. Dirt/dust in attenuators can do the same thing if there are 2 channel controls, which I don't think there are, but quickly move the volume knob and see if that doesn't stimulate the static.  Also, could be a loose input connection or a bad solder joint, there, or any number of other places.  Is the ground tab tight on that input channel.  Again, a little wiggle/pressure on the jack might stimulate static if this is the problem.   Wiggling stuff is good to detect the easy-to-solve static problems.



I was very hopeful this was the problem, but I have tried every trick I know to eliminate the socket as the issue, and to no avail.  And tellingly, as you say, wiggling the tube in the socket has no impact whatsoever.  And the static is present on both inputs, so that isn't the issue either, sadly.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

Well, just as I was really starting to enjoy my Trafomatic One, it's developed a static/crackling sound in one channel.  I have ordered a new pair of output tubes, but I am worried that is not the issue, as I swapped the output tubes and the noise stayed in the same channel.  So that would seem to eliminate the tube from being the problem, in which case I'm not sure what I would do.  I swapped sources, and that isn't the issue.

 

I don't suppose any Trafomatic One owners have experienced this?

I must say that I did have a similar problem with mine, but that was evident from the start and probably caused by it's (very long and bumpy) journey from Servia to the Netherlands. Sasa sent me a new one right away though (and I could return the defective one to a local contact, so it didn't cost me much on shipping).
 


And it's possible I simply did not notice it at first I guess.  Fortunately, the US Distributor is willing to fix it for me. so off it will go.

post #110 of 182

Second try seem to be the melody for this amp. I once got only one channel activating on my LCD-2 unless I half plugged it in. But it turned out that the RCA cables I used didn´t make good contact.

 

Will be interesting to get an idea what signature it has compared to other tube amps so hope you get it running Skylab.

 

post #111 of 182
Quote:


I was very hopeful this was the problem, but I have tried every trick I know to eliminate the socket as the issue, and to no avail.  And tellingly, as you say, wiggling the tube in the socket has no impact whatsoever.  And the static is present on both inputs, so that isn't the issue either, sadly.



 


And it's possible I simply did not notice it at first I guess.  Fortunately, the US Distributor is willing to fix it for me. so off it will go.


Sorry to hear it's more complicated; good to hear you'll get it fixed by the mfr.

post #112 of 182

I tried playing with the impedance selector lately. I wonder why the LCD-2 don´t change at all on either setting? Doesn´t seem to mind 300 ohm setting at all.  Something with damping factor not needed for orthos or what? My ears can´t detect any sonic changes whatsoever without dismissing placebo. On the ED 8 it appear to run totally out of steam at 300 ohm but there is less of a difference between 30 and 100 ohm.

post #113 of 182
With the LCD-2 being orthos, the sound shouldn't really change, just the amount of power that can be delivered. But the higher settings would worsen the damping factor on the Ed 8. I can definitely tell the difference in sound with the 3 settings on the Ed 8. But I actually like the 100 ohm setting best biggrin.gif
post #114 of 182

Just got myself a Sennheiser HD 800. Curious if people find it good with the Head One? At least I get nothing fatiguing (my HD 800 came with a Cardas cable. Been ignorant and hasn´t even tried the stock cable yet :). The impedance tap should be at 300 ohm?. HD 800 is the loudest at that setting for whatever reason.

 

post #115 of 182
I have yet to find a hedphone that the Trafomatic didn't sound good with. The HD800 isn't my favorite headphone but the Trafomatic does a good job with it IMO. Yes 300 ohm setting is the right one.
post #116 of 182

Thanks :). 

post #117 of 182

How the Trafomatic Head One with the LCD-2? 

post #118 of 182

I think it's excellent!  I very much enjoy the pairing, and use them together regularly.

post #119 of 182

 

I'm wandering about:
Meier Audio Stepdance‬
Grace Design M 902
Trafomatic Head One
 
Everyone gets good reviews, I want a product that would make me think not to upgrade. And listen to music!
 
I currently have the AKG K240 MK2, in the future I may upgrade to LCD-2 due to the bass and mid abilities. 
 
The question is whether this amp will suit those who like Jazz, rock and vocal? [I prefer warm sound]
 
And how to characterize it in terms of sound? 
 
Another advantage is that there an pre-amp output, which will serve me in the future. 
 
Someone tried to work with the pre-amp output?
post #120 of 182

Since you like it warm I think the Head One should be relatively safe. It´s however the only tube amp I own. On the Rev1 I thought it got a bit to much of that. It got a bit to dark, lush and sometimes actually muddy. It has quite phat bass which have nice oomph but some detail get lost compared to the solid state amplifiers I tried both in the lower and upper end. Of a softer nature which is quite suitable for jazz I feel but maybe you will miss some drive for rock? Or you will appreciate how it negotiate the effects of loudness wars :)

 

Particularly for the Rev1 I was biased to my more neutral solid state amplifiers which in the case of the V200, C-2.1 and my receiver gave the impression of easier driving the LCD-2s. Maybe it´s just the tube softness that gave that impression don´t know. I also got some resonances with piano which strangely was much lessened using the Silver Dragon 3 cable. I am not big on cables but there is certainly difference in tonal balance with the stock and this cable. It was mandatory for the Trafomator Head One for me on the Rev1 to not get frustrated after a while wishing for a bit more dynamics.

 

With Rev2 running the stock cable I can now much easier enjoy the Trafomator Head One. Whenever I feel I miss the creamy mids of the Rev1 or want some more warmness I put it on the tube and it´s there but even better then Rev1 at it´s best. Will have to do more testing to see which camp I belong more to for the LCD-2 though I do often value transparency a lot.

 

It will always stay with me even though I listen a bit more to the solid state amps still. I could never choose one over the other though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Trafomatic Experience Head One