Wow. I just got these and removed the felt. I'm not an audiophile at all, and they're not burned in, if you believe in that (I don't), but the difference is quite noticeable, and sounds seem much more "crisp". I'm glad I did this. Thanks for the guide!
Related Forum Threads
- Need a New Gaming Headset, Suggestions Around $50? Last post on 9/10/10 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- gaming headphones up to $100? Last post on 8/28/10 at 11:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- need help modding jvc rx900 Last post on 8/24/10 at 4:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- JVC HA-RX700 in Canada? Last post on 8/15/10 at 7:24am in Headphones (full-size)
- JVC HA-RX700 or RX900 for Metal Last post on 8/10/10 at 1:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I realize it is a bit of apples vs oranges, but I will compare these to the Sennheiser HD 600 sound, since I sometimes use those to mix recordings with, and many know their sound. Assuming good...
My Amazon Review: I've owned many pieces of high end home audio over the years. Brands like Dali, Audio Research, Krell, Melos, and others. I expect a lot from my gear. In this case, one of the...
About me: I am not an audiology, sound expert or anything professional about audio of short. I am simply just a consumer with a lot of love for musics for years....I purchased this pair, and Would...
Before the Lyr 2 I owned two hybrid headphone amplifiers: the Hifiman EF2A, and the Maverick Audio A1. What both those entry level amplifiers lacked was the power and sonic dynamics to drive my...
I've spent about a month with Cayin N6 DAP, and I'd like to share my thoughts about it. There is few really great reviews of this DAP, so I won't repeat them again, describing it's box,...
JVC HA-RX900 modifications, a picture tutorial. (56k, forget about it...) - Page 14
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #197 of 2057/14/12 at 9:32pm
I removed the acoustic lens on mine and opened up the holes in the remaining layer of felt. The sound is now quite literally like that of a veil being lifted, or perhaps someone pulling aside the curtain between you and the speakers. Mine have less than 48 hours of burn in and I love the sound already. Ultrasones they are not, but for the price these are so very good, especially when paired with a ZO2 amp. They refuse to distort even at maximum bass. Listenining to NIN's Ghosts II right now and its all good. There _is_ the odd shrill now and then, but I might wait a little before doing the sound deadening mod; it might just be because these aren't fully burned in yet.post #198 of 2051/5/13 at 9:20pm
I read your post and purchased the HA-RX900 cans. I then did the mod only I used a product call Murder Mat http://store.murdermat.com/murdermat-mdk-2-sq-ft-speaker-kit/ in place of Dyna mat. Everything else the same. I must say thanks for the great advice and Mod posting. I loved the end results. Such a change in the bass and mids I really love these cans now!!!post #199 of 2056/27/13 at 10:32pm
This thread may be old, but I felt compelled to post about my recent experience with these headphones.
First of all, I've never considered myself an audiophile. I've always had cheap headphones or speakers, like the Sony MDR-EX700 earbuds, or Logitech X-540 5.1 desktop PC speakers. On a whim I ordered these headphones after stumbling onto this post. On their own, they were already produce WAY better sound than I am used to (there is so much detail in my music I never noticed), but after doing just the first few steps (removing the felt ring and the "audio lens") I'm floored.
Coupled with a Fiio E10, I'm rediscovering my music.
This single post has changed my appreciation for sound and music. I thank TopPop and those who contributed to this thread (although my wallet now hates you all).
I must say, for now I'm really happy with these and am looking forward to delving further into the realm of the audiophile.post #200 of 2057/3/13 at 10:45ampost #201 of 2057/3/13 at 6:48pm
I actually only did step 1 and 2, and have not put acoustic stuffing or dynamat into my headphones yet. Simply removing the felt ring and the "acoustic" lens made a huge difference. I will be adding Dynamat this weekend however when I have a chance to pick some up.post #202 of 2057/4/13 at 8:33pmQuote:
You're supposed to put the "acoustic" lens back after removing the felt ring! "Screw the acoustic lens back on."post #203 of 2057/5/13 at 11:13am
Reading through the thread, I found that a few people discussed the audio lens at some length, and they thought that the audio lens is actually the felt ring. I don't know either way, but testing with and without the plastic "audio lens" as per the directions made little to no difference. I'm not expert, and probably didn't do a proper test but to me I couldn't really tell.
On another note, later today I am heading to a local store to buy some Dynamat, and I'll post again after I've had a chance to try the last few steps in TopPop's instructions.post #204 of 2058/4/13 at 1:43pmpost #205 of 20512/25/13 at 2:32pm
I bought a pair of RX900s a couple weeks ago and just got around to doing these mods. The D2000s are my favorite headphones to date but these are a close second, only because the D2000s sub-bass is smoother and deeper. But these are kinda ridiculous for $60.
- JVC HA-RX900 modifications, a picture tutorial. (56k, forget about it...)
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Sony Xperia Z3 Audio Quality 17 seconds ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 37 seconds ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 38 seconds ago
- › Help, Sennheiser Hd 450 cushions.. 1 minute ago
- › AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 1 minute ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 1 minute ago
- › HiFiMAN @ StereoExchange Headphone Event Thursday March 19 in New... 1 minute ago
- › DT880 dissatisfaction? 2 minutes ago
- › New to the audio scene and need help with what gear to pick 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by Zobel
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1+ Bluethooth Wireless Headphones by Deckardk
- › JVC KENWOOD In-Ear Headphones HA-FX750 by Whitigir
- › Schiit Lyr 2 by bpandbass
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by cleg
- › OSTRY KC06A Hi-Fi In-Ear High Performance Earphones Headphones by xsuper
- › Brainwavz Delta by vaziyetu
- › JVC Kenwood Victer Stereo Headphones Ha-sz1000 by Hawaiibadboy
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by pformagg
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 by Giogio
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2