Wow. I just got these and removed the felt. I'm not an audiophile at all, and they're not burned in, if you believe in that (I don't), but the difference is quite noticeable, and sounds seem much more "crisp". I'm glad I did this. Thanks for the guide!
Related Forum Threads
- Need a New Gaming Headset, Suggestions Around $50? Last post on 9/10/10 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- gaming headphones up to $100? Last post on 8/28/10 at 11:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- need help modding jvc rx900 Last post on 8/24/10 at 4:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- JVC HA-RX700 in Canada? Last post on 8/15/10 at 7:24am in Headphones (full-size)
- JVC HA-RX700 or RX900 for Metal Last post on 8/10/10 at 1:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I just received this device, along with a FiIO X5 to replace my now discontinued iPod classic. At first I liked this device - smaller, lighter than the FiIO, although only 1 slot. Shipped...
i just bought an Asus Vulcan pro gaming headset on a whim and I've gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised so I thought id share my experience. Now let me qualify this, I'm not saying they have the same...
Warm sound, good mid, great price Easy to drive compare with other studio headphone, there is shouldn't be too much complaint consider this headphone now only retail about $70 and sound really...
So the Pan Am from ALO Audio. This little guy is pretty dang impressive. An excellently-built, functioning desktop solution that is pretty easy on the eyes too! For the record, I've got the whole...
REVIEW: Brainwavz S5 Specifications: (from Brainwavz site) Driver: 10mm Dynamic Rated Impedance: 16 Ω Frequency Range: 18Hz - 24kHz Sensitivity: 110 dB @ 1 mW Cable: 1.3m,...
JVC HA-RX900 modifications, a picture tutorial. (56k, forget about it...) - Page 14
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #197 of 2057/14/12 at 9:32pm
I removed the acoustic lens on mine and opened up the holes in the remaining layer of felt. The sound is now quite literally like that of a veil being lifted, or perhaps someone pulling aside the curtain between you and the speakers. Mine have less than 48 hours of burn in and I love the sound already. Ultrasones they are not, but for the price these are so very good, especially when paired with a ZO2 amp. They refuse to distort even at maximum bass. Listenining to NIN's Ghosts II right now and its all good. There _is_ the odd shrill now and then, but I might wait a little before doing the sound deadening mod; it might just be because these aren't fully burned in yet.post #198 of 2051/5/13 at 9:20pm
I read your post and purchased the HA-RX900 cans. I then did the mod only I used a product call Murder Mat http://store.murdermat.com/murdermat-mdk-2-sq-ft-speaker-kit/ in place of Dyna mat. Everything else the same. I must say thanks for the great advice and Mod posting. I loved the end results. Such a change in the bass and mids I really love these cans now!!!post #199 of 2056/27/13 at 10:32pm
This thread may be old, but I felt compelled to post about my recent experience with these headphones.
First of all, I've never considered myself an audiophile. I've always had cheap headphones or speakers, like the Sony MDR-EX700 earbuds, or Logitech X-540 5.1 desktop PC speakers. On a whim I ordered these headphones after stumbling onto this post. On their own, they were already produce WAY better sound than I am used to (there is so much detail in my music I never noticed), but after doing just the first few steps (removing the felt ring and the "audio lens") I'm floored.
Coupled with a Fiio E10, I'm rediscovering my music.
This single post has changed my appreciation for sound and music. I thank TopPop and those who contributed to this thread (although my wallet now hates you all).
I must say, for now I'm really happy with these and am looking forward to delving further into the realm of the audiophile.post #200 of 2057/3/13 at 10:45ampost #201 of 2057/3/13 at 6:48pm
I actually only did step 1 and 2, and have not put acoustic stuffing or dynamat into my headphones yet. Simply removing the felt ring and the "acoustic" lens made a huge difference. I will be adding Dynamat this weekend however when I have a chance to pick some up.post #202 of 2057/4/13 at 8:33pmQuote:
You're supposed to put the "acoustic" lens back after removing the felt ring! "Screw the acoustic lens back on."post #203 of 2057/5/13 at 11:13am
Reading through the thread, I found that a few people discussed the audio lens at some length, and they thought that the audio lens is actually the felt ring. I don't know either way, but testing with and without the plastic "audio lens" as per the directions made little to no difference. I'm not expert, and probably didn't do a proper test but to me I couldn't really tell.
On another note, later today I am heading to a local store to buy some Dynamat, and I'll post again after I've had a chance to try the last few steps in TopPop's instructions.post #204 of 2058/4/13 at 1:43pmpost #205 of 20512/25/13 at 2:32pm
I bought a pair of RX900s a couple weeks ago and just got around to doing these mods. The D2000s are my favorite headphones to date but these are a close second, only because the D2000s sub-bass is smoother and deeper. But these are kinda ridiculous for $60.
- JVC HA-RX900 modifications, a picture tutorial. (56k, forget about it...)
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Minneapolis Meet 9/20/14 3 seconds ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 5 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX90 Bug Thread - Post Any Firmware Bugs/Issues Here 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-FXT90 Appreciation Thread [User-Info/Buying Guide/Reviews on... 5 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 5 minutes ago
- › Westone ADV Alpha Adventure Series Earphones w/ NEW Westone... 5 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by RickFrank
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)