Wow. I just got these and removed the felt. I'm not an audiophile at all, and they're not burned in, if you believe in that (I don't), but the difference is quite noticeable, and sounds seem much more "crisp". I'm glad I did this. Thanks for the guide!
Related Forum Threads
- Need a New Gaming Headset, Suggestions Around $50? Last post on 9/10/10 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- gaming headphones up to $100? Last post on 8/28/10 at 11:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- need help modding jvc rx900 Last post on 8/24/10 at 4:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- JVC HA-RX700 in Canada? Last post on 8/15/10 at 7:24am in Headphones (full-size)
- JVC HA-RX700 or RX900 for Metal Last post on 8/10/10 at 1:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONFirstly I want to shout out to Mark (Head-Fier d marc0) for working with Ken Ball from...
Here is my short review of the HOOKA headphone hanger. Thank you to Pandora from Brainwavz for providing me with the product. This very cool headphone hanger came in a nice, small sized...
The Emotiva DC-1 Stealth DAC is frankly, an incredible value. The only other products I can think of that offers such a complete and capable skill set for such a low cost are the Koss KSC75,...
This is a very comfortable headphone (not ideally so, but close enough) and once you get used to the clap force, you barely notice it's on. The sound quality is amazing. I have compared this...
First of all, thank you to @ejong7 for arranging for me to be included in this review tour. I am in no way affiliated with Obravo or any retailer. I am head-fi hobbyist and music lover...
JVC HA-RX900 modifications, a picture tutorial. (56k, forget about it...) - Page 14
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #197 of 2087/14/12 at 9:32pm
I removed the acoustic lens on mine and opened up the holes in the remaining layer of felt. The sound is now quite literally like that of a veil being lifted, or perhaps someone pulling aside the curtain between you and the speakers. Mine have less than 48 hours of burn in and I love the sound already. Ultrasones they are not, but for the price these are so very good, especially when paired with a ZO2 amp. They refuse to distort even at maximum bass. Listenining to NIN's Ghosts II right now and its all good. There _is_ the odd shrill now and then, but I might wait a little before doing the sound deadening mod; it might just be because these aren't fully burned in yet.post #198 of 2081/5/13 at 9:20pm
I read your post and purchased the HA-RX900 cans. I then did the mod only I used a product call Murder Mat http://store.murdermat.com/murdermat-mdk-2-sq-ft-speaker-kit/ in place of Dyna mat. Everything else the same. I must say thanks for the great advice and Mod posting. I loved the end results. Such a change in the bass and mids I really love these cans now!!!post #199 of 2086/27/13 at 10:32pm
This thread may be old, but I felt compelled to post about my recent experience with these headphones.
First of all, I've never considered myself an audiophile. I've always had cheap headphones or speakers, like the Sony MDR-EX700 earbuds, or Logitech X-540 5.1 desktop PC speakers. On a whim I ordered these headphones after stumbling onto this post. On their own, they were already produce WAY better sound than I am used to (there is so much detail in my music I never noticed), but after doing just the first few steps (removing the felt ring and the "audio lens") I'm floored.
Coupled with a Fiio E10, I'm rediscovering my music.
This single post has changed my appreciation for sound and music. I thank TopPop and those who contributed to this thread (although my wallet now hates you all).
I must say, for now I'm really happy with these and am looking forward to delving further into the realm of the audiophile.post #200 of 2087/3/13 at 10:45ampost #201 of 2087/3/13 at 6:48pm
I actually only did step 1 and 2, and have not put acoustic stuffing or dynamat into my headphones yet. Simply removing the felt ring and the "acoustic" lens made a huge difference. I will be adding Dynamat this weekend however when I have a chance to pick some up.post #202 of 2087/4/13 at 8:33pmQuote:
You're supposed to put the "acoustic" lens back after removing the felt ring! "Screw the acoustic lens back on."post #203 of 2087/5/13 at 11:13am
Reading through the thread, I found that a few people discussed the audio lens at some length, and they thought that the audio lens is actually the felt ring. I don't know either way, but testing with and without the plastic "audio lens" as per the directions made little to no difference. I'm not expert, and probably didn't do a proper test but to me I couldn't really tell.
On another note, later today I am heading to a local store to buy some Dynamat, and I'll post again after I've had a chance to try the last few steps in TopPop's instructions.post #204 of 2088/4/13 at 1:43pmpost #205 of 20812/25/13 at 2:32pm
I bought a pair of RX900s a couple weeks ago and just got around to doing these mods. The D2000s are my favorite headphones to date but these are a close second, only because the D2000s sub-bass is smoother and deeper. But these are kinda ridiculous for $60.post #206 of 2084/6/15 at 5:53pm
The JVC HA-RZ910 version of this headphone is the one to go for if you sit at a computer.
Its the same as the 900 but with a shorter cable.
Far better soundstage than the 700 series....
.. and those 50mm drivers are well padded in (so the sound is pretty clear even at spiritedly-driven frequencies).
Stunning value at the equivalent of $40 where I live.post #207 of 2088/17/15 at 6:25ampost #208 of 2083/9/16 at 2:32pm
Sorry to revive this old topic, but it seems that the pads from my Samson SR850 are compatible. That means that all AKG 240, Beyer 770, and Superlux 668B pads should fit. Also, from my research i fount out that these pads from sony mdr v900 v900hd v600 7509hd 7509 hd have the similar shape and same size. (10cm cup diameter)
To be honest, i just got the RX900 today, and out of curiosity put on the velour pads. More comfort, no more sweat, but the sound changes dramatically, but not sure yet that i like it. Loses lots of bass, get a bit more open and airy. On the other side the RX900 pads are absolutely amazing on the sr850. Just wow!!! Now they deliver the bass punch that was always missing.
Edited by Codrin Dinu - 3/9/16 at 2:39pm
- JVC HA-RX900 modifications, a picture tutorial. (56k, forget about it...)
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 16 seconds ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android + Amp Module... 48 seconds ago
- › Astell&Kern Announces the AK300 and AK Recorder (5.6MHz DSD... 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › Alclair RSM Quad Custom In-Ear Monitor Impressions Thread [ These... 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 17th, 2016) 2 minutes ago
- › Is the Schiit Ragnarok an overkill? 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 5 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Review 6 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Lyra by Brooko
- › Brainwavz Hooka by DynamikeB
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by JoeDoe
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by MorrisL
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by Krisman
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by achelgeson
- › Meze 99 Classics by Mshenay
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by C.C.S.
- › Effect Audio Leonidas by MikePortnoy
- › Brainwavz BLU-200 by DynamikeB
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...