Wow. I just got these and removed the felt. I'm not an audiophile at all, and they're not burned in, if you believe in that (I don't), but the difference is quite noticeable, and sounds seem much more "crisp". I'm glad I did this. Thanks for the guide!
Related Forum Threads
- Need a New Gaming Headset, Suggestions Around $50? Last post on 9/10/10 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- gaming headphones up to $100? Last post on 8/28/10 at 11:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- need help modding jvc rx900 Last post on 8/24/10 at 4:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- JVC HA-RX700 in Canada? Last post on 8/15/10 at 7:24am in Headphones (full-size)
- JVC HA-RX700 or RX900 for Metal Last post on 8/10/10 at 1:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The Korean company really needs no introduction at this point. They have proven themselves as a capable IEM maker with a series of top of the line hybrid as well as some good sound yet budget...
These iems are better than some entry levels (Shure 215/ hifiman RE0/ RE 400/ Sennheiser CX300) with a wider soundstage due to the 13mm dynamic driver , however need serious burn in for at least 50...
First, I’d like to thank the folks at Narmoo for providing a sample of their R1M earphones for review. In recent years, the IEM market has sort of exploded, seeing a number of established...
I work with Trance music most ... Before The New released update 3.0 for the thing i wasn't really satisfied with its quality of sound in trance ...but the update Changed everything ,EVERYthing...
This amp has really sound quality , neutral side and wide soundstage . It could have a little more bass with bass boost switch but no complains here since i do prefer a neutral sound to get the...
JVC HA-RX900 modifications, a picture tutorial. (56k, forget about it...) - Page 14
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #197 of 2057/14/12 at 9:32pm
I removed the acoustic lens on mine and opened up the holes in the remaining layer of felt. The sound is now quite literally like that of a veil being lifted, or perhaps someone pulling aside the curtain between you and the speakers. Mine have less than 48 hours of burn in and I love the sound already. Ultrasones they are not, but for the price these are so very good, especially when paired with a ZO2 amp. They refuse to distort even at maximum bass. Listenining to NIN's Ghosts II right now and its all good. There _is_ the odd shrill now and then, but I might wait a little before doing the sound deadening mod; it might just be because these aren't fully burned in yet.post #198 of 2051/5/13 at 9:20pm
I read your post and purchased the HA-RX900 cans. I then did the mod only I used a product call Murder Mat http://store.murdermat.com/murdermat-mdk-2-sq-ft-speaker-kit/ in place of Dyna mat. Everything else the same. I must say thanks for the great advice and Mod posting. I loved the end results. Such a change in the bass and mids I really love these cans now!!!post #199 of 2056/27/13 at 10:32pm
This thread may be old, but I felt compelled to post about my recent experience with these headphones.
First of all, I've never considered myself an audiophile. I've always had cheap headphones or speakers, like the Sony MDR-EX700 earbuds, or Logitech X-540 5.1 desktop PC speakers. On a whim I ordered these headphones after stumbling onto this post. On their own, they were already produce WAY better sound than I am used to (there is so much detail in my music I never noticed), but after doing just the first few steps (removing the felt ring and the "audio lens") I'm floored.
Coupled with a Fiio E10, I'm rediscovering my music.
This single post has changed my appreciation for sound and music. I thank TopPop and those who contributed to this thread (although my wallet now hates you all).
I must say, for now I'm really happy with these and am looking forward to delving further into the realm of the audiophile.post #200 of 2057/3/13 at 10:45ampost #201 of 2057/3/13 at 6:48pm
I actually only did step 1 and 2, and have not put acoustic stuffing or dynamat into my headphones yet. Simply removing the felt ring and the "acoustic" lens made a huge difference. I will be adding Dynamat this weekend however when I have a chance to pick some up.post #202 of 2057/4/13 at 8:33pmQuote:
You're supposed to put the "acoustic" lens back after removing the felt ring! "Screw the acoustic lens back on."post #203 of 2057/5/13 at 11:13am
Reading through the thread, I found that a few people discussed the audio lens at some length, and they thought that the audio lens is actually the felt ring. I don't know either way, but testing with and without the plastic "audio lens" as per the directions made little to no difference. I'm not expert, and probably didn't do a proper test but to me I couldn't really tell.
On another note, later today I am heading to a local store to buy some Dynamat, and I'll post again after I've had a chance to try the last few steps in TopPop's instructions.post #204 of 2058/4/13 at 1:43pmpost #205 of 20512/25/13 at 2:32pm
I bought a pair of RX900s a couple weeks ago and just got around to doing these mods. The D2000s are my favorite headphones to date but these are a close second, only because the D2000s sub-bass is smoother and deeper. But these are kinda ridiculous for $60.
- JVC HA-RX900 modifications, a picture tutorial. (56k, forget about it...)
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 Review/Impressions/Appreciation 2 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier 34 seconds ago
- › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon &... 2 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 3 minutes ago
- › D.C. Area Meet (Saturday, July 26th, 2014) - part of CanMania @... 3 minutes ago
- › AAC --> FLAC conversion? 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear Impressions 4 minutes ago
- › Orthodynamic Roundup 4 minutes ago
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by shak85
- › C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp by shak85
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by cel4145
- › TDK BA200 by Ch1Kn
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Xyrium
- › Fischer Audio Silver Bullets by AlfredKeppler
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)