Wow. I just got these and removed the felt. I'm not an audiophile at all, and they're not burned in, if you believe in that (I don't), but the difference is quite noticeable, and sounds seem much more "crisp". I'm glad I did this. Thanks for the guide!
Related Forum Threads
- Need a New Gaming Headset, Suggestions Around $50? Last post on 9/10/10 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- gaming headphones up to $100? Last post on 8/28/10 at 11:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- need help modding jvc rx900 Last post on 8/24/10 at 4:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- JVC HA-RX700 in Canada? Last post on 8/15/10 at 7:24am in Headphones (full-size)
- JVC HA-RX700 or RX900 for Metal Last post on 8/10/10 at 1:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The Pendulumic Stance S1 is an excellent "bluetooth" headphone. I'm sure there are better sounding "wireless" headphones and at some level believe the category should be divided into wireless and...
First of all, I'd like to thank Cayin for opportunity to review C5. As usual, main review is in Russian, here I'll share mt impressions in brief. There is not so many good portable amps in sub...
Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its...
Shure has definitely outdone themselves with this wonderful product. Never have I experienced more clarity in a pair of IEMs. For someone who listens to alternative rock, pop, and an assorted array...
Videos only at the moment. I'll do a write-up later. Apologies if you were hoping for something to read. Unboxing and design details: More details about the cables, sound and possible...
JVC HA-RX900 modifications, a picture tutorial. (56k, forget about it...) - Page 14
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #197 of 2057/14/12 at 9:32pm
I removed the acoustic lens on mine and opened up the holes in the remaining layer of felt. The sound is now quite literally like that of a veil being lifted, or perhaps someone pulling aside the curtain between you and the speakers. Mine have less than 48 hours of burn in and I love the sound already. Ultrasones they are not, but for the price these are so very good, especially when paired with a ZO2 amp. They refuse to distort even at maximum bass. Listenining to NIN's Ghosts II right now and its all good. There _is_ the odd shrill now and then, but I might wait a little before doing the sound deadening mod; it might just be because these aren't fully burned in yet.post #198 of 2051/5/13 at 9:20pm
I read your post and purchased the HA-RX900 cans. I then did the mod only I used a product call Murder Mat http://store.murdermat.com/murdermat-mdk-2-sq-ft-speaker-kit/ in place of Dyna mat. Everything else the same. I must say thanks for the great advice and Mod posting. I loved the end results. Such a change in the bass and mids I really love these cans now!!!post #199 of 2056/27/13 at 10:32pm
This thread may be old, but I felt compelled to post about my recent experience with these headphones.
First of all, I've never considered myself an audiophile. I've always had cheap headphones or speakers, like the Sony MDR-EX700 earbuds, or Logitech X-540 5.1 desktop PC speakers. On a whim I ordered these headphones after stumbling onto this post. On their own, they were already produce WAY better sound than I am used to (there is so much detail in my music I never noticed), but after doing just the first few steps (removing the felt ring and the "audio lens") I'm floored.
Coupled with a Fiio E10, I'm rediscovering my music.
This single post has changed my appreciation for sound and music. I thank TopPop and those who contributed to this thread (although my wallet now hates you all).
I must say, for now I'm really happy with these and am looking forward to delving further into the realm of the audiophile.post #200 of 2057/3/13 at 10:45ampost #201 of 2057/3/13 at 6:48pm
I actually only did step 1 and 2, and have not put acoustic stuffing or dynamat into my headphones yet. Simply removing the felt ring and the "acoustic" lens made a huge difference. I will be adding Dynamat this weekend however when I have a chance to pick some up.post #202 of 2057/4/13 at 8:33pmQuote:
You're supposed to put the "acoustic" lens back after removing the felt ring! "Screw the acoustic lens back on."post #203 of 2057/5/13 at 11:13am
Reading through the thread, I found that a few people discussed the audio lens at some length, and they thought that the audio lens is actually the felt ring. I don't know either way, but testing with and without the plastic "audio lens" as per the directions made little to no difference. I'm not expert, and probably didn't do a proper test but to me I couldn't really tell.
On another note, later today I am heading to a local store to buy some Dynamat, and I'll post again after I've had a chance to try the last few steps in TopPop's instructions.post #204 of 2058/4/13 at 1:43pmpost #205 of 20512/25/13 at 2:32pm
I bought a pair of RX900s a couple weeks ago and just got around to doing these mods. The D2000s are my favorite headphones to date but these are a close second, only because the D2000s sub-bass is smoother and deeper. But these are kinda ridiculous for $60.
- JVC HA-RX900 modifications, a picture tutorial. (56k, forget about it...)
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 12 seconds ago
- › How many of you have tinnitus? 14 seconds ago
- › post your grado mods.... 22 seconds ago
- › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition 1 minute ago
- › help me choose a new mp3 player 1 minute ago
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP 2 minutes ago
- › IEM FR vs Full size 2 minutes ago
- › The NEW WS99/WS77 PG 57.. 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 3 minutes ago
- › Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2D by Pokerstar
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › Facebook, Ericsson & XL Indonesia Create...
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3