The complexity comes in the fine tuning to your own ear and thus it would be better if you did this yourself. These cups are no longer available but you could modify them into any deep wood cup. Sachu had a smeggy style TP deep cup and they sounded very good too..dB
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for an 'almost perfect' headphone under ~250$ Last post on 6/1/14 at 10:09pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- I need your help Last post on 12/31/12 at 3:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best on or around ear headphones for iPhone and digital piano Last post on 11/26/12 at 5:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- BALDOOR Medusa - new fashion on-ear headphone from China (soon to be released, it seems)! Last post on 5/4/14 at 9:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Recommendations for Over-Ear headphones around $80-100 available in Canada Last post on 11/17/12 at 11:37am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The Little Dot line of headphone amps represent what is possible when a Chinese production amp doesn't cut corners on build quality and engineering. This amp has my vote as the best desktop hybrid...
My dac progression has been in the sub 1000.00 range and frankly I doubt I will ever exceed that mark further I find it hard to believe there is anything better in this price range. My musical...
Specifications: Driver: Titanium Diaphgram Dynamic Driver 13mm Sensitivity: 90+- 2dB Reproduction Frequency: 20Hz-30kHz Cable Length: 1.2m Plug: 3.5mm Stere Mini Weight: 18g Comes With: 1...
Hi guys, I spent several hours (more than 40 hours research) to find the best headphone for my budget (under AUD $200). I tried to read as many reviews (mainly the 1-2 stars) as I could to know...
They look cheap. The "silver" plastic is very bad taste. They are also too big to go around, unless you are one of those guys who like to show themselves with headphones bigger than their...
Wharfedale Isodynamic headphones? - Page 3post #31 of 3810/3/12 at 6:59am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #32 of 3810/3/12 at 7:26ampost #33 of 3810/3/12 at 2:07pmpost #34 of 386/16/13 at 6:37amQuote:
OMG this takes me back!
I loved my Wharfedale IsoDynamics. Lost them in my divorce. They weren't in the box of junk I was allowed to take with me!post #35 of 384/15/14 at 11:47pm
I used to drive my Wharfdale's with a Quad 405 - that combo had great drive, volume and rhythm. It's still one of the best sounding I've ever had the pleasure of listening to.
But the Orthodynamics didn't play well with weak amplification. The headphone outputs of your normal preamp or receiver just couldn't drive them satisfactorily, and I got tired of unhooking my speakers to run my headphones.
I don't know how they sound with modern boutique high output (6W!) dedicated headphone amps, but if you've got a spare 40W+ good sounding power amp gathering dust while you play with new toys, hook 'em up! You'll be pleased with the results... and it's a perfect excuse to play with passive volume controls.post #36 of 384/17/14 at 2:40pm
Valiant is right. Using the speaker outlets of a normal amp is best for Wharfedales. The specs recommend an amp up to 50 watts!
I use a Hafler DH200 (using a Matrix head amp as Pre). It sounded great via my Pass F3 when I tried briefly the other day.
You have to make up a lead to fit widely spaced outlets though!post #37 of 384/21/14 at 8:34amAll you owners out there, listen to some good high def tracks and let us know how the old Wharfies stand up to modern competition. I fear they would do well. In the old days they had reference to natural sounding instruments.post #38 of 384/22/14 at 2:41am
I had my Wharfedales stored away for years (Familiarity....etc., plus I rarely had use for phones in 80s/90s) and had had a set of Senn 480s for Walkman use etc. Got seduced by the lovely wood on A-T WTH 1000s, as I had a Leben 600 with headphone output,plus a Glow One for bedtime, and was happy. But then, one day I tried out the old Wharfedales again and was immediately impressed by the 'reality' of the sound. Imagery was defined and clear. It sounded akin to my Full range speakers (Ocellias).
The AT's were sold on. Am still happy with the Wharfedales. I did have a brief listen to Audez'e recently, but in imperfect conditions,(poor amp) but didn't hear much to give me pause for thought. And the Audez'e owner was sufficiently impressed with the low volume he heard from my phones to be intrigued!
But am very careful with the Wharfedales now! Don't want to break them. Plastic fatigue?
Foolishly I had a spare pair but sold them!!!
- Wharfedale Isodynamic headphones?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Grado e Series 2 seconds ago
- › The Tera player thread.Philips R2R DAC ( impressions, opinions,... 55 seconds ago
- › Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite 2 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-7506 3 minutes ago
- › New Beyerdynamic amp A2 3 minutes ago
- › Valhalla 2 review coming soon! 5 minutes ago
- › DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . . . . dap FW... 5 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 5 minutes ago
- › IEM custom/universal recommendation 5 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX50 + cwm recovery Latest Update: 2014-09-15 8 minutes ago
- › Little Dot I+ by Zeejet
- › MHDT labs havana by joespride
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Dsnuts
- › Yamaha HPH-MT220BL by Janos Kardos
- › Sony MDR-10RBT Bluetooth Headphone by Giogio
- › Bose SoundLink On-Ear Bluetooth Headphones - Black by Giogio
- › Harman Kardon BT by Giogio
- › Philips Fidelio M2BT by Giogio
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by cuiter23
- › Bravo Audio Tube Amplifier - V2 by Zeejet
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3