The complexity comes in the fine tuning to your own ear and thus it would be better if you did this yourself. These cups are no longer available but you could modify them into any deep wood cup. Sachu had a smeggy style TP deep cup and they sounded very good too..dB
Related Forum Threads
- "The Lab" Last post on Today at 4:10 pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for an 'almost perfect' headphone under ~250$ Last post on 6/1/14 at 10:09pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- I need your help Last post on 12/31/12 at 3:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best on or around ear headphones for iPhone and digital piano Last post on 11/26/12 at 5:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- BALDOOR Medusa - new fashion on-ear headphone from China (soon to be released, it seems)! Last post on 5/4/14 at 9:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Background It’s safe to say that Massdrop has played a decent role in both introducing new products to the headphone community while highlighting others through their group-purchase...
Introduction – The original d900 from Syllable made quite a splash when it first arrived on the market. It was one of the very first fully wireless earphones ever produced. Furthermore, it was...
The Fiio E12A Mont Blanc portable headphone amplifier is a great amp for IEM's and earbuds. The sound signature is slightly on the warm side, and presents a much fuller sound and wider...
**Disclaimer: I received the M3 from FiiO in return for my honest review** I have been watching FiiO's product line-up for quite some time. I've played with the X1 DAP owned by a friend and...
At the time this review was written the iBasso D14 Bushmaster DAC/Amplifier was for sale on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to iBasso’s product page display, and also a listing on Penon...
Wharfedale Isodynamic headphones? - Page 3post #31 of 3910/3/12 at 6:59am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #32 of 3910/3/12 at 7:26ampost #33 of 3910/3/12 at 2:07pmpost #34 of 396/16/13 at 6:37amQuote:
OMG this takes me back!
I loved my Wharfedale IsoDynamics. Lost them in my divorce. They weren't in the box of junk I was allowed to take with me!post #35 of 394/15/14 at 11:47pm
I used to drive my Wharfdale's with a Quad 405 - that combo had great drive, volume and rhythm. It's still one of the best sounding I've ever had the pleasure of listening to.
But the Orthodynamics didn't play well with weak amplification. The headphone outputs of your normal preamp or receiver just couldn't drive them satisfactorily, and I got tired of unhooking my speakers to run my headphones.
I don't know how they sound with modern boutique high output (6W!) dedicated headphone amps, but if you've got a spare 40W+ good sounding power amp gathering dust while you play with new toys, hook 'em up! You'll be pleased with the results... and it's a perfect excuse to play with passive volume controls.post #36 of 394/17/14 at 2:40pm
Valiant is right. Using the speaker outlets of a normal amp is best for Wharfedales. The specs recommend an amp up to 50 watts!
I use a Hafler DH200 (using a Matrix head amp as Pre). It sounded great via my Pass F3 when I tried briefly the other day.
You have to make up a lead to fit widely spaced outlets though!post #37 of 394/21/14 at 8:34amAll you owners out there, listen to some good high def tracks and let us know how the old Wharfies stand up to modern competition. I fear they would do well. In the old days they had reference to natural sounding instruments.post #38 of 394/22/14 at 2:41am
I had my Wharfedales stored away for years (Familiarity....etc., plus I rarely had use for phones in 80s/90s) and had had a set of Senn 480s for Walkman use etc. Got seduced by the lovely wood on A-T WTH 1000s, as I had a Leben 600 with headphone output,plus a Glow One for bedtime, and was happy. But then, one day I tried out the old Wharfedales again and was immediately impressed by the 'reality' of the sound. Imagery was defined and clear. It sounded akin to my Full range speakers (Ocellias).
The AT's were sold on. Am still happy with the Wharfedales. I did have a brief listen to Audez'e recently, but in imperfect conditions,(poor amp) but didn't hear much to give me pause for thought. And the Audez'e owner was sufficiently impressed with the low volume he heard from my phones to be intrigued!
But am very careful with the Wharfedales now! Don't want to break them. Plastic fatigue?
Foolishly I had a spare pair but sold them!!!
- Wharfedale Isodynamic headphones?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Astell&Kern AK380 48 seconds ago
- › The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by... 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Near Mint Black Oppo PM-3 w/ original box 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 5 minutes ago
- › π Audio - "Pai Audio" 5 minutes ago
- › Smsl m6 and iPhone/ipad 6 minutes ago
- › Ihifi 770 & 770c Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 9 minutes ago
- › AKG K7XX by Aornic
- › SYLLABLE D900S Mini Wireless Bluetooth Earphone Waterproof... by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO E12A Mont Blanc Portable Headphone Amplifier for IEM Special... by Tayyab Pirzada
- › FiiO M3 - Digital Portable Music Player by Levistras
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by Hisoundfi
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by David Thomson
- › Audio-Technica ATH-A900LTD by Heepaholic
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by Jeremypsp
- › Fidue A91 Sirius by twister6
- › LZ-A2S by peter123
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...