The complexity comes in the fine tuning to your own ear and thus it would be better if you did this yourself. These cups are no longer available but you could modify them into any deep wood cup. Sachu had a smeggy style TP deep cup and they sounded very good too..dB
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for an 'almost perfect' headphone under ~250$ Last post on 6/1/14 at 10:09pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- I need your help Last post on 12/31/12 at 3:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best on or around ear headphones for iPhone and digital piano Last post on 11/26/12 at 5:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- BALDOOR Medusa - new fashion on-ear headphone from China (soon to be released, it seems)! Last post on 5/4/14 at 9:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Recommendations for Over-Ear headphones around $80-100 available in Canada Last post on 11/17/12 at 11:37am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Bose QC20/QC20i Prefatory Notes: I purchased this product and am therefore not immune to the negative effects of buyer’s remorse potentially inflicted upon me, unlike those who received free...
I bought my RP3 for my headphone set up to enter in the world of vinyl and what a buy! Overall the rega is a very sensitive Turntable however, it awes me everytime I plug it in a play.
I have owned the WA2 for about a year now. I typically listen to Alternative Rock, occasional Rap and some Blues. I am using a Arcam rDac with it and I also have a Rega RP-3 and a Project Phono...
Disclaimer: I was sent a sample of the Brainwavz S5 for review. This will not affect my opinion of these IEMs in any way. You can also find this review(with pictures) on my own blog...
Switching from desktop audio system to the dap system is a painful experience if you have a seriously monitoring taste for any music and get used to top-notch headphones system like hd800+ ecba...
Wharfedale Isodynamic headphones? - Page 3post #31 of 3810/3/12 at 6:59am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #32 of 3810/3/12 at 7:26ampost #33 of 3810/3/12 at 2:07pmpost #34 of 386/16/13 at 6:37amQuote:
OMG this takes me back!
I loved my Wharfedale IsoDynamics. Lost them in my divorce. They weren't in the box of junk I was allowed to take with me!post #35 of 384/15/14 at 11:47pm
I used to drive my Wharfdale's with a Quad 405 - that combo had great drive, volume and rhythm. It's still one of the best sounding I've ever had the pleasure of listening to.
But the Orthodynamics didn't play well with weak amplification. The headphone outputs of your normal preamp or receiver just couldn't drive them satisfactorily, and I got tired of unhooking my speakers to run my headphones.
I don't know how they sound with modern boutique high output (6W!) dedicated headphone amps, but if you've got a spare 40W+ good sounding power amp gathering dust while you play with new toys, hook 'em up! You'll be pleased with the results... and it's a perfect excuse to play with passive volume controls.post #36 of 384/17/14 at 2:40pm
Valiant is right. Using the speaker outlets of a normal amp is best for Wharfedales. The specs recommend an amp up to 50 watts!
I use a Hafler DH200 (using a Matrix head amp as Pre). It sounded great via my Pass F3 when I tried briefly the other day.
You have to make up a lead to fit widely spaced outlets though!post #37 of 384/21/14 at 8:34amAll you owners out there, listen to some good high def tracks and let us know how the old Wharfies stand up to modern competition. I fear they would do well. In the old days they had reference to natural sounding instruments.post #38 of 384/22/14 at 2:41am
I had my Wharfedales stored away for years (Familiarity....etc., plus I rarely had use for phones in 80s/90s) and had had a set of Senn 480s for Walkman use etc. Got seduced by the lovely wood on A-T WTH 1000s, as I had a Leben 600 with headphone output,plus a Glow One for bedtime, and was happy. But then, one day I tried out the old Wharfedales again and was immediately impressed by the 'reality' of the sound. Imagery was defined and clear. It sounded akin to my Full range speakers (Ocellias).
The AT's were sold on. Am still happy with the Wharfedales. I did have a brief listen to Audez'e recently, but in imperfect conditions,(poor amp) but didn't hear much to give me pause for thought. And the Audez'e owner was sufficiently impressed with the low volume he heard from my phones to be intrigued!
But am very careful with the Wharfedales now! Don't want to break them. Plastic fatigue?
Foolishly I had a spare pair but sold them!!!
- Wharfedale Isodynamic headphones?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › 1964 Ears (The Appreciation Thread) 9 seconds ago
- › Best pricing? 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 201: Moving on up 2 minutes ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 4 minutes ago
- › Multichannel Music 5 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 8 minutes ago
- › September 27 Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley mini-meet 9 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 11 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)